Not Just 'Another Day', Perhaps?

You Had Me At The Umpteenth Chop

I the lamp switch on the airplane wallpaper-ed wall. Soon, I found my 8 years old brother with his weird position as he slept. Still covered with his Mickey Mouse blanket. I approached his sleeping figure and sat on the edge of his bed.

"Junhong-ah... Wake up..." I nudged his body slightly. He didn't stir. I chuckled, this sleeping habit of my brother will never change. Shaking him a bit more, "Junhong-ah... You'll be late for school if you don't wake up. You said you want to show Yongguk your new Tiger plu-"

I stopped when he finally moved a bit. He rubbed his tired eyes and opened it slowly, "Noona..." he said with his hoarse voice, "but I'm still sleepy." I softened. I brushed his bang from his face, "You can sleep after you go back from school, okay? Now will you please wake up and go to bath so I can make your breakfast and lunch."

He blinked several times, adjusting his eyes with the light. Slowly, he nodded and got up. "Okay... Omelette with extra cheese?" I laughed, "As you wish, mister..."

I walked out from his room to the kitchen, preparing his breakfast. There, I found the cupboard empty. I rolled my eyes and took the eggs then began makin Junhong breakfast and meals for his bento. It didn't take long since I was a quite good chef myself. Speaking of being proud of myself, it didn't take long for me to make him several foods. Nodding in glory while admiring Junhong's bento, I then walked to my room to change into my uniform.

Be ready for another exactly same day.

Not that I didn't like it that way though.


"Noona, we have no meat in home..." Junhong said in the middle of him singing into the song that was playing in the car. I glanced at him "Oh, right. You reported this to mom too, didn't you?" I could see him grinning from the corner of my eye, "Okay, Junhong. We'll drop by the butcher before we reach home later, okay?" He pumped up his fist in happiness, "Yay! Noona, you're the best!" I rolled my eyes before I found myself chuckling as well. 

"And yay, I can meet hyung too later," he mumbled and giggled to himself but I couldn't catch it. "What did you say?" He straightened up quickly, "Nothing! Just concentrate on the street, noona!" he beamed then sang along to the song that was playing on my car radio. 

Oh well.

After dropping off Junhong to his school, I drove myself to my school as well.

I entered my classroom and found my chairmate slash that weirdo slash my second father slash who's that stranger actually slash my best friend since I got hit by him on the head with a brick toy when we were in kindergarten. I presented you, The Kim Junmyeon. He was waving way too cheerfully and he looked somehow shiny that I should've worn sunglasses whenever I met him, which unfortunately, everyday.

I rolled my eyes and approached him, stood in front of him without saying anything since I knew he was anticipating me to say it, but I sat down on my seat after that. He blinked in his spot then sat down slowly beside me, on his seat. I titled my head to see his face expression. I blinked at him, "What's wrong with you?"

He was looking straight to me blankly, "What's wrong with me...?" Then, his face expression turned 180 degrees into a stern one, "What's wrong with YOU?! Do you freakin' now what day is it?"

I looked up to the ceiling of the classroom then turned to him again, "Uhm... It's Tuesday?" His mouth gaped open, "O... kay. Then what date is it?" I pursued my lips as I thought a bit, if I was not mistaken it was, "May 22nd. Why?"

He turned into a statue and was ready to explode when I gave him a bear hug. From behind me, the others popped out of nowhere and were spraying him party streamers. Soon, my class became a chaos. All the 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUNMEN' 'JUNMYEON-APPA HAPPY BIRTHDAY' 'AIGOOO JUNMYEON'S GETTING OLDER' could be heard even when you just step at the main gate of our school. 

He looked like he was going to cry, "Oh my God... T- thank you so much, guys." Everyone just laughed at him, "Yah, are you going to cry now?" Kris nudged his arm, "Man up, Junmyeon. You're freakin' 18 now." Junmyeon just laughed along and still, tried his best to not cry.

When the bell rang, everyone who wasn't in the same class with me and Junmyeon stormed out of the room, leaving the class dirty. I rolled my eyes and ignored the teacher's wrath, even though it was clearly my idea to give him a surprise in our class. 

"Yah," I heard Junmyeon whispered. I titled my head, "Hm?" He softly smiled and pinched my cheeks, "Thank you soooooooo much! I'll treat you whatever you want after school. But don't tell the others! I'll just treat them dukbokki but you-" I smacked his hand away, "Hands off." He grinned innocently. 

"But Junmyeon, I think I can't go with you after school," I said in the middle of writing down the notes that out teacher was writing on the board. He pouted, "Waeeeee?" he whined. "My parents can't come home so I need to fetch Junhong and go buy some groceries et cetera," I sighed. "I'm sorry."

He smiled oh so fatherly, "It's okay. But it's your loss~" he stuck his tounge. I chuckled and smacked his arm. "Yah-"

"YOU TWO IN THE BACK! WRITE DOWN WITHOUT BEING NOISY OR DRAG YOUR TABLES OUT OF THE ROOM!" Our teacher shouted from the front. Both of us immediately lowered our heads, "Sorry, seongsaengnim!" we said in unison. The teacher sighed and his face looked like he was stressed. After he went back to face the board we laughed again silently.

Ah, thank God for this babo friend of mine or that day would be extremely boring and flat.


The day dragged by and without me realizing, the school was finally over. I slung my backpack and headed to the gate with Junmyeon.

"Do you want me to accompany you to fetch him and go to the market?" He asked. I furrowed my eyes at him. "WHAT?! I'm just trying to be a good and well mannered best friend, you know?" I chuckled and shook my head, "It's okay, Junmyeon-ah. Oh, I forgot to tell you this. Mom said happy birthday to you." His face brightened even though it was already bright, "REALLY?! Ah, tell her I say thank you so much."

I nodded, "I'll tell her later. So, I'm going now, Junmyeon-ah. Have fun treating those retarded people!" I said, waving to Junmyeon who was being attacked with my other friends. Shooking my head while chuckling, I got in the driver seat and drove away to Junhong's school.

It didn't take really long to get there and Junhong was already waiting outside. His face brightened at the sight of my car. He plopped in the passenger seat, "Noona! You're finally came," he sighed, "all of my friends left already and I was alone." He pouted. I helped him using the seatbelt, "I'm sorry, Junhong-ah. Noona promise won't fetch you late again, okay?" I pleaded at him with puppy eyes. He giggled seeing me trying to use aegyo at him, "Ah, noona. Don't try to use your aegyo on me because I'm way better than you." He smirked. I ruffled his hair, "I admit my defeat."

Soon, we walked hand in hand in the market. "I'll take the cart!" Junhong excitedly ran once we stepped on the white floor. He came back later, pushing the cart towards me. "So, noona, what will we buy today?" 

I took my phone from my skirt pocket, "From the list, I guess- ah, shoot, my battery will die in minutes. We should do it fast, Junhong-ah. Run!" I said to him as we pushed the cart together. He giggled in front of me behind the cart, "Noona~ slow down, noona!" I laughed along with him and I could feel people staring at as. So what? I couldn't care less. 

"Ramen packs?" "Check!" "Pepero?" "Check!" "Kkokkalcorn?" "Check! "Saewookkang?" "Err... Check!" I smiled and put my phone back in my pocket, "Well done! Are you sure you don't want another-" Junhong suddenly widened his eyes and raised his hand, "WAIT, NOONA! I wanna buy ice cream. Do you want some too?" I thought a bit, "Okay, get me one too! I'll wait here, okay?" He was no longer in front of me. I shook my head at my one and only brother's behaviour.

I had never felt so attached to people except for Joonmyeon, and Junhong himself. Oh, well. Once, I had a boyfriend but he didn't like him just when he met him at the first time. Who knew? He was actually having an affair behind me so that I chose to broke up with him. Junhong just had the feeling when something went wrong. And after that, I always believe what he says for good. He's just too precious for me. Besides, there was still no guy that caught my attent-

"Noona," he said, snapping me back to reality. "O- oh, you're back." He chuckled, "Oooo, noona is zoning out. Is there something bothering you?" He asked worriedly. I blinked at him, "Nothing... Junhong-ah." He looked at me again suspiciously then shrugged his shoulders, "Well, if you say so." He dropped bunch of ice creams into the cart. 

It had been 1 year since the last time I was involved in a relationship. Even Junmyeon already broke several hearts when I was still there, forever alone. I'M NOT ONE OF THOSE HOPELESS ROMANTIC, OKAY? Believe me or not, some guys had confessed to me but I was too lazy to be in a new relationship. I heaved a sigh. Okay, it wasn't that I was too lazy, but I was just-

"Noona," he said, once again snapping me back to the reality. I titled my head to see him, walking besides me, "Yeah, Junhong?" He narrowed his eyes at me, "Noona, you're thinking about someone, don't you?" I blinked at him rapidly, "H- huh? No! Psh, thinking about someone? Someone? Junhong, you watch too many dramas." He rolled his eyes, "Whatever, noona." 

He walked in front of me to the corner of the street, where the butcher located. We decided to walk instead. Once he saw the sight of red meats, his eyes brightened and ran towards it. I let it happen since he was always being like that. We had always been buy meats there because mom had known the ahjussi owner even before I was born. Junhong, who really wanted an older brother found the son of the ahjussi really nice so they got along really well to the point he nags almost every week to come to the shop. Blame him being the maknae of the family, I ended up taking him there even just to buy less than a half kilogram meat.

I approached the shop with the bags of snacks that we bought earlier. "Junhong-ah, how much of meat do you want?" He was already dissappeared behind the glass rack of meat. 

A figure appeared from behind me, "Welcome to Kim Butcher. How may I help you?"

I didn't turn around to look at the voice owner behind me since he had been always the seller there, besides his father, if I wasn't mistaken. "O- oh, yeah. Wait a second," I fiddled with my phone to see some messages from this particular friend of mine. "Sure, just call me when you have your... orders. Yeah, orders." 

"Orders. Why it sounds so weird. Aish, babo," he muttered under his breath as he messed his soft hair and walked to the back.

"Appa, I'm bac-" "HYUUUUUNG!" He was attacked with a hug on his long legs. Looking down, he found Junhong hugging him. He softened and scooped him in his arms, "Junhong-ah! I thought your sister came alone."

He giggled and wrapped his arms around his neck, "Of course not, hyung. Once noona said she would go to the butcher, I must come with her!" He nodded in understand and put Junhong down, "Ah, I see. So, do you miss hyung?" He said and made his way to wash his hand, before using the apron that was hanging on the wall.

"Of course! It took me quite long to persuade mom that I want to eat more meats. She kept on pushing noona to make me eat veggies! Ew..." Junhong huffed angrily and crossed his puffy hands on his chest. He chuckled seeing him, "But she's right at one point, Junhong-ah. You can't keep on eating meats. It's not healthy." Junhong thought a bit, "Then sell some vegetables here too, hyung!" He laughed, "Then this place's name should be Kim Butcher-" "That Sells Vegetables Too!" Junhong added.

He laughed out loud, making my ears perked at the soothing voice. I looked up from the meats and caught a glimpse of black haired head but couldn't see his face. It was the butcher. Never thought he got a nice laugh there- ............what am I thinking. I cleared my throat and my mind, "E- excuse me?"

The butcher straightened up and popped his head from behind the wall, "Yes?" He approached me when I was looking at the meats under the glass, "Please just give me the usual." A smile appeared on his face, looking at me. "Tenderloin, rib-" He couldn't really get what I said but he couldn't care less since he really knew what I was going to buy.

"-and some raw meats." Both of us said at the same time. I looked up to see him grinning, "Please wait while I'm making your order." He went to the back where Junhong was waiting for him.

I stared at his back. He was wearing a Polo shirt that had their shop's logo on it, with a red plastic apron that had its string wrapped nicely around his waist and neck. His skin was tan and like I saw earlier, his hair was black and it looked really soft. He opened the refrigerator that I believed where they put the meats, to pick some that I ordered and began his work, chopping and washing them.

My phone's screen lit up, showing that it was going to shutted down because of the drained battery. I sighed and put it on my pocket. Now I have nothing to do.

I titled my head to the commotion from behind the pillar, that contained Junhong's and that butcher's voice, singing to Junhong's favorite song. Feeling nothing but curious, I slightly moved to get a better angle of them. 

Junhong looked at him chopping the meat, "OOOOO, killer hyung!" He chuckled, "Hey! They're dead even before I chop them!" Junhong blinked at him, "Still!" He nodded, "Okay, Junhong, Okay." I found myself slowly smiled at the scene. 

"Hyung, is chopping and working around meat fun?" Junhong asked out of curiosity. He looked to his left where Junhong was propping his chin on his palm, pushing down the urge to pinch him on the cheek since his hands were full of blood. He smiled, "Fun, huh? Not exactly. I just like being here, helping appa running this shop." Junhong nodded looking like he understood, even though I knew he didn't really get what he meant. I chuckled silently, continuing watching them conversing.

Junhong asked again, "Then you don't like meat?" He was taken aback, "Who said that I don't like meat?" Junhong sighed and rolled his eyes, "Then you should just say it's fun working in here because you can see the meat all of the time. Why must you phrase it with such hard words? Ckckck..." He was speechless hearing Junhong's talkback. He blinked at him rapidly, stopping his chopping work, then heaved a sigh before grinning widely, "Ah, you're right, Junhong-ah. I love being surrounded by meats... and it's fun." He chuckled sheepishly and Junhong nodded in approval. I tried my best to hold my laugh seeing that scene and tried to distract myself from laughing by looking at the meats.

The butcher titled his head to see me when I was purposely making myself distracted by the meats. He smiled, then continued chopping the meats. Unfortunately, Junhong caught it. He wittily nudged his arm, "Hyung, admiring my noona?" He asked him with squinted eyes and a sly smile on his lips. He thought how to defend himself but then sighed, and smiled to the younger boy in front of him in defeat, "Caught me again?"

Junhong giggled, "Gotcha! It's not that hard, hyung, to realize you've been crushing on my sister. Since you always look for her everytime I come here with mom, then stealing a glance everytime she's here and busy with her phone, and keep on smiling when she's around for no reason." He shook his head and chuckled as he went to wash his hands, "Yah, where do you get those words from? Too many dramas is bad for you, Junhong."

Junhong's eyes widened, "Hyung! You said the same exactly word like noona said to me! 'Too many dramas' both of you said. But still, you two are having dramas in your love life." Junhong sighed and shook his head like an adult. He couldn't hold the urge any longer finally pinched his puffy cheeks, "AWW! Hyuuung!" Junhong whined but he ignored him.

He was then wrapping the meats with the wrapper, "Junhong-ah," he turned to see his hyung, "does- uhm, have she finally moved on?" Junhong followed his stare into his noona who was waiting patiently, busy with the decoration of the shop. He found himself smiling, "I might sound like a real babo, huh? Been crushing on her for years, yet, we haven't talked to each other properly. Besides 'welcome to blablabla' and 'thank you'. Your noona... is really something." He sighed and put the meats into a paper bag. He stayed still for a moment the chuckled bitterly, "Just what am I saying? Ignore my blabber, Junhong-ah."

Junhong stared at his hyung sadly, if only noona realizes your kindness and all. "No, Junhong. Don't pity me like that, okay?" He helped Junhong jump down from his seat and scooted down to his level, "But I'm curious... Do you give me the permission if I get the chance to be closer with your sister? I mean-" "OF COURSE!" Junhong grinned, "You don't need to ask for that, hyung. I've let you two to be together ever since I breathed the air for the first time." He narrowed his eyes, "Oh- so, I get the allowance?" Junhong chuckled and pinched the older's cheeks, "You can be cute sometimes, hyung. I thought you're only handsome but now I found out you're cute as well. Noona will fall for you, don't worry." He winked and pat him on the head, then left him dumbfounded. But as he stood up, a smile formed in his lips.

"Noona!" Junhong called me and I turned around. He was with the butcher. "Here's your order." He said shortly, hugging the paper bag. He looked to his side to see Junhong showing his two thumbs, motioning him to approach me. Come on, you can do this, he said in his mind. 

He said the amount of the price and I paid him, without looking that I was actually handing him my useless dead phone. He blinked, looking down at my palm. "E... excuse me?" I blinked rapidly, "Huh? What- OH MY GOD. I'm sorry! I'm so sorry," I bit my lip as I felt my cheeks had turned crimson. "Here.." I said slowly, handing him the right thing. Junhong who was watching from the side couldn't help but laugh at his noona, but then stopped when someone shot him a look. He held his laugh, "I'll just wait outside, noona~"

There, Junhong left me and him alone. Not that we hadn't been in the same situation before. Since... I just realized how my brother so attached to him and his kindness towards my brother and the fact that he was THIS goodlooking?

Oh, and not to mention the thing that I accidently heard.

"Junhong-ah," he turned to see his hyung, "does- uhm, have she finally moved on?" Junhong followed his stare into his noona who was waiting patiently, busy with the decoration of the shop. He found himself smiling, "I might sound like a real babo, huh? Been crushing on her for years, yet, we haven't talked to each other properly. Besides 'welcome to blablabla' and 'thank you'. Your noona... is really something." He sighed and put the meats into a paper bag. He stayed still for a moment the chuckled bitterly, "Just what am I saying? Ignore my blabber, Junhong-ah."

"Here's your change..." He handed me the money. I took it, "Thanks," I mumbled. 

Then it was silent until Junhong shouted something from outside, "Jongin-hyung! You can do it!" The name owner blushed faintly as he looked down, "Uh, don't mind Junhong-" I chuckled, "So, it's Jongin?" His mouth gaped open and his eyes widened, "Y- yes... Yours? Oh, never mind. I- I already know yours..." He managed to smile. I smiled, and he's just..... cute. Oh, my soft spot for awkward guys. "I see you really get along with Junhong. Weird I've never realized it before..." I mumbled to myself. He stared at me before joked, "Thank your dead phone?"

I looked up to see him grinning, "I'm kidding. Anyway, here's your meat." He handed me the paper bag. "Thank you." Slowly, I looked up once again and he was smiling, "Anytime."

Then it went silent, both of us shifted uncomfortably on our spots. "I-" both of us said at the same time. We looked up at each other the laughed, "Uhm, I'm not that good with words actually..." I chuckled, "Same here." Before it could be awkward again, Jongin had the courage to spoke, "Should I get Junhong's permission to get your number?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Don't you get the allowance already?" He blushed, knowing that I actually overheard their conversation. I laughed, "Don't worry. I'll act like I haven't heard any of it before. And... find my number by the way you knew my name." He chuckled sheepishly and rubbed the back of his neck.

"I guess I'll get going now," I said, smiling at him. He nodded, "Please do come again! And... I'm looking forward for you answering my calls," I turned around to see him grinning. "Let's just see, shall we? Good afternoon, Jongin-ssi." I slightly bowed and he did too, "Good afternoon, _____-ssi."

I took Junhong's hand, "Come on, Junhong-ah. Let's go home." He jumped in surprise when he heard my voice, "Oh, noona! So how was it going? Was Jongin-hyung being nice to you? He was, right?" I looked down at my brother, raising one eyebrow, "How come you have been hiding this good hyung of yours from your boyfriend-less noona?" Junhong blinked then burst into a wide smile, "I knew it you'll fall for him, noona!" I held a hand in front of him, "Nuh uh, not yet, Junhong-ah."

He rolled his eyes as he plopped on seat in the car, "Oh please, noona. I know you. You have soft spots for boys like Jongin-hyung." I laughed hearing his talkback, "Just where you learn those words from, Junhong? I'm afraid you're actually older than your real age and outer appearance." Junhong leaned on the back rest, "I've heard that kind of question before, noona. Slowly, I'm afraid that you're actually Jongin-hyung's soulmate or something." I rolled my eyes, "Just sleep or do something until we get home, Junhong." He laughed, "Okay, noona! I'll zip my mouth for you."

Junhong went silent for a bit, before spoke again, "But I'm so thankful. You finally see Jongin-hyung even though it's the nth time already since the first time we went there," Junhong stretched his arms and nuzzled on the backrest of the seat, "I hope you two will get along. My one and only noona and my favorite hyung..." Then he dozed off to sleep.

I smiled glancing at him, it was really the umpteeth time I saw him, chopping and being surrounded with all the meats. 

Speeding on the street of Seoul, I couldn't wait to reach home and recharge my phone. Was it because I want to thank Junmyeon for kept texting me that my phone run out of battery or,

 

 

 

because I want to see an unknown number calling me?

I guess it's just not one typical day.