The Journey Begins

Unwanted Exes

“Jagi–”
“I told you to stop calling me that. We broke up a long time ago.”
“I know, but–”
“No, I don’t want to hear it. I’m going to be out of town for a few days, don’t come looking for me.”

You hung up the phone and shook your head. He called less often now, but it was still annoying. You broke up with him months ago—almost six, to be exact—but he still acted like you were together. Sometimes you wondered if he even remembered that you broke up.

Sliding your phone into your pocket, you finished packing your suitcase and rushed to the train station. This weekend, you were travelling from Seoul to Busan to visit a friend. You made it to the station just as the train was about to board. Fortunately, you had already bought your ticket and went straight on.

You took a seat by the window and took out your iPod, noticing the young man with striking blond hair who sat down beside you shortly after.

“Oh no…” he muttered to himself, covering his face with his hands.

Ouch. That was harsh.

“I’m sorry about this.” He whispered as he pulled one of your earbuds out of your ears.

Before you could ask, he took your hand and smiled.

“I love your new perfume, baby.” He said seductively.

You noticed the irritated young woman who crossed her arms as she glared at you, realizing what you had been dragged into.

“I knew you would. I bought it just for you.” You smiled.
“Oh, Kyoungmi, what a surprise. Are you going to Busan too?” He asked coolly.
“In fact, I am. I’m going there with my new boyfriend, who will be getting on at the next stop. Who’s this ?” Kyoungmi asked.
“Didn’t I tell you? She’s my girlfriend.” He replied.
“Good for you. I’m glad that our break-up didn’t cause your heart to shatter completely.” Kyoungmi said condescendingly.
“I broke up with you, remember?” He pointed out.
“Whatever. Have fun with the .” Kyoungmi scoffed before taking her seat a few rows behind you

The young man watched Kyoungmi walk away, letting go of your hand as soon as she stopped glaring at you.

“Sorry about that. I’m L.Joe, by the way.” He offered his hand.

You simply said your name and shook his hand, quickly examining his face. You then realized exactly who you were currently sitting beside. The handsome young man who sat down beside you was none other than L.Joe of Teen Top.

“I should probably explain myself, shouldn’t I?” L.Joe asked.
“It would be nice.” You replied.

You put your iPod away in order to fully hear his story.

“If it wasn’t obvious enough, that was ex-girlfriend. I only dated her for a couple of months, but she just won’t accept that I dumped her. It’s been nearly a year now, and she still won’t leave me alone.” L.Joe explained.
“I know what you mean. I broke up with my ex-boyfriend almost six months ago, but he still calls me every few days. If you don’t mind me asking, why’d you break up with her?” You asked.
“On top of the y personality you just saw, she’s also high-maintenance and the jealous type. I couldn’t take it anymore.” L.Joe said.

You nodded a bit, agreeing that she looked like that type of person.

“But enough about her. I know she’s going to do everything she can to sit in that row beside us, so let’s get our facts straight before she asks. We met…at the mall?” L.Joe suggested the first thing he could think of.
“No.” You replied coldly.
“What’s wrong with the mall? It’s perfectly plausible!” L.Joe retorted.
“Sorry. It’s just…I met my ex at the mall. How about a coffee shop?” You suggested.
“Alright, a coffee shop. About eight or nine months ago?” L.Joe continued.
“I only broke up with my ex six months ago though…” You muttered.
“Who cares? It’s fake. It’s not like he’ll be here to tell Kyoungmi that we’re lying.” L.Joe snapped.

You sighed and shrugged. L.Joe could see your frustration and eventually agreed on four months so you would be happy. “Why am I even doing this for her?” he thought. You continued to discuss the details of your fake past, deciding that you had met four months ago at a coffee shop when you accidentally spilled your cappuccino on his shirt. He forgave you and bought you a new one. Since you were both there alone, he sat down with you and chatted for a while as you drank your coffees. Before leaving, you made sure to exchange numbers and have been dating ever since.

Just as you wrapped up your history, Kyoungmi sat down in the row beside yours, just as L.Joe predicted she would. She leaned over and made her presence known.

“What’s up, lovebirds? Did you miss me?” She asked.

L.Joe ignored her and whispered something in your ear. You laughed and nodded while Kyoungmi watched in jealousy. L.Joe had taken some snacks out of his backpack and you started feeding each other. Despite having just met, this didn’t feel uncomfortable for either of you.

You continued with your sickeningly sweet behaviour until the next stop. The seat next to Kyoungmi was now empty and she watched all the new passengers enter, waiting to see her boyfriend. With Kyoungmi’s mind elsewhere, you and L.Joe could act normal for a little while. As you waited for the train to finish boarding, you and L.Joe decided to get to know each other better, getting lost in conversation.