Chapter 1: Where'd My Monkeys Go?

Camerawhore

“Where the hell is my cell phone?” Eunhyuk growled as he walked through his apartment. “I could have sworn I left it right on the kitchen table…”

 

After several more minutes of searching he decided to give up and sulk in his room.

 

If it’s Kyuhyun playing some kind of trick on me and hiding my phone… I’ll kill him. He fumed, flopping backwards onto his bed.

 

He felt something hard digging into his back and sat up quickly. Quickly, he turned around and looked at the offending object. He looked at his phone quizzically, But… I could have sworn I left you in the kitchen?

 

He flipped open his phone to check for new messages, and rolled his eyes in exasperation. His friend could really be ridiculous sometimes. His background had mysteriously changed from a picture of the adorable monkeys he’d seen at the zoo in Macau during one of their precious vacations to one of a smiling Donghae, hand by his face making a phone sign. The banner read, “Call me! I looooove you!” Eunhyuk fought back a smile. Wait- why was he smiling? Stupid Hae!

 

He sent a quick text to his wholly obnoxious friend, “What do you want? I’m busy.”

 

Almost immediately he got a return message, “Don’t you like your new background? ;)”

 

But no way was Eunhyuk giving Hae any kind of satisfaction there “…No. Why do you always do that? So Annoying.”

 

The reply came a little more warily this time. He’d just started feeling like maybe he’d been a wee bit harsh…possibly. His phone vibrated and he quickly opened the message, “Mian Hyukkie. Won’t bother you anymore…”

 

Eunhyuk sighed, how did Donghae manage to make him feel as though he’d left a puppy in the rain all night and then maybe kicked it a few times for good measure, just through a single text?

 

“I have some time, wanna get lunch?” He typed, hesitating a moment. But if there was one thing he couldn’t bear, it was an unhappy Donghae. He hit send.

 

At the sound of the door opening a moment later, Eunhyuk looked up. Donghae’s head peaked in with a hopeful smile.

 

“Chincha?”

 

Eunhyuk sat up and started looking for his shoes grumbling, “Let’s go before I change my mind.”

 

Donghae’s smile widened. He walked around the room impatiently as Eunhyuk gathered his belongings. He picked up some fan mail that lay atop the dresser and flipped through it idly. Pausing at one of the letters, he looked over at Eunhyuk’s crouched form.

 

            Dear Eunhyuk-ssi,

Is Eunhae real? Because we love you two together, and as ELFs we totally support you guys as a couple, no matter what!

 

There was a picture attached of both of them from a session of Sukira. He looked at Eunhyuk again, who was still halfway under his bed, searching for his favorite pair of sneakers. Donghae quickly tucked the photo into the frame of the mirror and looked at it fondly, remembering the moment it was taken.

 

-flashback-

 

“Ah! I’m so excited to come on your radio show Hyukkie!” Donghae bounched around.

 

“Yeah, whatever,” Eunhyuk snorted, “Behave yourself, and try not to mess the show up too badly.”

 

“I’m gonna be the best DJ ever!”Donghae hugged Eunhyuk happily.

 

Eunhyuk struggled half heartedly, “Not possible, cos I’m the best DJ ever. Will you get off me? People are watching you know…” He added.

 

They walked into the studio and the staff hurrying about all bowed, greeting them as they passed by. They walked into the station’s studio and Eunhyuk laughed at Donghae’s wide eyes. He explained all the controls, amused at how hard Donghae was concentrating. Grinning, he pushed the other boy into the chair on the left of the booth and clamped a pair of headphones over his ears.

 

“There, now you look like a real DJ,” Eunhyuk smiled with satisfaction and sat in his own chair.

 

“Wait!” Donghae stood up suddenly, “Can we take a picture?”

 

Eunhyuk didn’t have time to object. Donghae already had an arm around his shoulder and was pressing his face against Hyuk’s. who couldn’t help but smile at Donghae’s enthusiasm. The radio techie pulled out his digital camera and snapped a couple of shots before the show began. Donghae gave him a big kiss on the cheek before letting go and returning to his side of the booth.

 

“What?” he asked innocently, when Eunhyuk stared at him, “It’s called Super Junior Kiss the Radio, right? So can’ t I, being a member of Super Junior, kiss you, the radio boy?”

 

end flashback.

 

“Ready to go, Hae?” Eunhyuk asked as he grabbed his jacket.

 

“Mm? Oh.” Donghae nodded and the set off towards their favorite noodle restaurant.

 

…..

 

“Ahh…” Donghae stretched, “I’m so stuffed! Thank you for getting lunch with me Hyukkie,” He smiled winsomely.

 

“I was hungry, and you were free,” Eunyuk corrected, “Anyway, we should head back, it’s starting to snow.”

 

The restaurant was only about a 15 minutes walk from their apartments, but the snow was getting thicker by the minute. Eunhyuk was fine, seeing as how he’d had the foresight to

bring an umbrella with him, but Donghae, sadly, wore only a sweatshirt. Eunhyuk could see him shivering as the snowflakes caught in his hair and eyelashes.

 

The boy never has the correct clothes on for the weather. Eunhyuk thought, irrated. But his protective instincts for his airheaded friend took over.

 

“Come under here…seriously,” He shook his head, “What were you thinking going out in just a sweatshirt in the middle of winter?”

 

Donghae bowed his head and complied, whispering a feeble thanks.

 

“It’s fine,” Eunhyuk said gruffly, “You can’t get sick on us, we have a crazy schedule this week remember?” He looked at Donghae’s blue lips, “You should wear my jacket… I have more layers on than you…”

 

“N-no! I’m totally fine!” Donghae tried to say through chattering teeth.

 

“At least take my scarf,” Eunhyuk said impatiently, unwinding it from his own neck and wrapping it around Donghae’s exposed one, blushing a little when Donghae’s eyes met his own.

 

They walked awkwardly together for several meters, both getting snowed on as they kept bumping into each other. Eunhyuk stopped them both, “This is not going to work. Here.”

 

He put his arm around Donghae’s shoulders, which were still shivering from the cold, and grabbed Donghae’s arm, placing it around his own waist.

 

Donghae squeezed him a little, “Thank you Hyuk, Sorry I’m such an airhead.”

 

 

“Yeah, you are, but I wouldn’t have you any other way,” Eunhyuk blushed again.

 

They walked all the way back to the apartments this way and it felt, Eunhyuk was surprised to note, amazingly natural. There was something so comfortable and right about the way their steps easily synchronized, their similar heights allowing the umbrella to be in the perfect position for both of them. He would’ve walked like this for hours if it weren’t for the shivering shoulder he could feel beneath his arm.

 

From one of the windows high above, someone watched the two men as they walked up the steps. A slow smirk that positively oozed of mischief spread across his face.