Alone in Seoul (Minho): Chapter 1

Alone in Seoul (Minho)

You stepped out of the sliding doors, face fresh, heart beating and...hands freezing. With your glove-covered hands, you pulled your two luggage bags toward you and immediately slipped your hands into the pockets of your woolly overcoat. As you looked around you, the tiny white clumps of ice began to fall from the sky, it was snowing. You turned around and breathed deeply looking at the building behind you. Incheon International Airport. Your first plane ride alone. Your first holiday alone. Your first Christmas alone. You stared at the Christmas wreaths and lights on the building and felt your heart warm up with excitement. While you were homesick already, your heart was still beating in frenzy anticipation of what was to come. You. Korea. Alone. Free.

You queued up at the taxi stand and waited in line while turning your phone on.

"Hello? Hi mum!"

"Hi darling! You've arrived? How was the flight? Do you have your passport with you? Please check."

"Yes mum, I do."

"Your money?"

"Yes, mum."

"Phone?"

"..."

"Okay okay, I get it. Hahahaha. How's the weather there?"

"It's freezing here!!! I didn't expect it to be so cold. But I like it! How's Dad? And Maxine?"

"They're all good. Please have fun there! Are you on your way to the apartment?"

"Yep, I'm trying to get a taxi now. Thanks mum."

"Alright then, we love you! Bye!"

"Bye!"

You smiled and put your phone back into your pocket. You pulled your earmuffs over your ears and sighed, watching the condensed cloud of air waft out of your mouth. Korea, the place I've been wanting to go to for such a long time!!! I hope I make some really good friends here...you thought to yourself.

[One hour later]

"Kamsahapnida!" you said to the taxi driver as he drove off. Gangnam Service Apartments. You stared at the lonely, slightly desolate even, building in front of you. Gangnam. The place made famous by Psy's "Gangnam Style" hit back in 2012. You smiled to yourself as you made your way pass the entrance to the counter. The lady at the counter smiled and greeted you as you entered.

After being briefed on key, counter check-in and out procedures, you made your way up to the 10th floor. Stumbling in, you threw your keys onto the table and took off your overcoat and jacket. Phew. Travelling alone is such a hassle. You took your boots off and settled down for a bit before you went over to draw the curtains. Hmm...I wonder how many cute Korean boys I'm going to meet. You sniggered to yourself as you looked out into the dark night sky.

Time for a bit of cup Ramen. You thought to yourself, looking at the clock on the table. 2 am. Alone in Seoul. Excited...was all you could think about.