The Story of You and I

He Was Always There For You

He was always there for you.   He had played tea party with you when you were children.  He could’ve been out playing baseball with his friends, but instead he suffered through you shoving him into a dress and decorating his face with sticky lip gloss.  He was patient and kind.  When you fell down, he was always there, helping you up and gently putting on the Band-Aid to your scraped knees.  When you were struggling in school, he offered to help.  When he came over to your house after school, he put up with your frustration and anger.  When you were in high school, he watched you flirt with your classmates, knowing that what you showed to others wasn’t truly you.  He was there when you prepared for your first date.  He sat through dozens of outfits, offerings comments on all of them.  You didn’t see the look of disappointment on his face, when your date came to take you away.  He stayed up all night, staring at his phone, hoping you’d realize that you weren’t meant to be with anyone else.  When he got a phone call from you, crying, he instantly went to where you were.  He beat up the guy who had only gone after you, hoping to get some action.  He sat next to you, while you sniffled and cried, lending his shoulder.  He carried you home when you fell asleep.  And when he was certain you wouldn’t wake up, he kissed a tear off of your cheek and tucked you into your bed.  You didn’t realize what you had… until he left for the army.  When you were without him, you felt so alone and empty.  You realized you had never done anything for him.  You waited for him, every day you only yearned for him more.  When he was to return home, you went into a frenzy preparing for his homecoming.  Each day closer was more agonizing.  When he called, you pretended like you hadn’t recognized your love for him, and he said very little.

“I’m coming home.”  When you hung up the phone, you grabbed a plush pillow off your bed, dancing around your room, squeezing the feathers out of it.  You were filled with such elation and joy. 

You waited at the airport, anxiously bouncing on your feet.  When the plane landed and passengers started off, you looked for him desperately.  You saw his short, silky hair, and pushed your way to him.  You yelled his name and launched yourself into his arms.  He was surprised by you.  He hadn’t expected anyone to come pick him up at the airport. 

“Did you miss me?” he asked happily and genuinely curious.  You smiled like an idiot, grabbing his hand.

“More than you know. I have something really important to show you.”  You led him to a spot that only the two of you knew about.  A place where you shared so many memories.  He looked around, seeing nothing out of place. 

“It still looks the same.” He said with a smile, he looked back at you and was shocked to see you on one knee.

“What are you doing?”  You gulped, looking up at him, and said what you had practiced for endless hours in front of the mirror.

“You have been with me for so long and I had never realized how much I needed you until you left.  I’m sorry I had been so selfish and stupid all of these years.  I’m not sure if you feel the same way, but if you be willing to have me…”  You pulled out a simple ring from your pocket.  His eyes widened.  “Will you marry me?”  He laughed, and you blushed.

“You are amazing” he said.   “My pride is hurt.”  You were confused and a little disappointed, but then he got down on one knee, imitating you.  He laughed again and pulled out a ring from his own pocket.

“I was hoping to ask you the same question, but it seems you have beaten me.” You blushed harder.

“But I can’t say no to a beautiful lady.” He let you slide the ring onto his finger and then he did the same for you.  He stood, pulling you up with him. 

“I love you.” He breathed.  He pulled you into his arms, and leaned in close to your face.

“I have wanted to do this for so long.”  Your heart melted as your lips touched.  You broke away, smiling against his lips.

“I love you, Leeteuk.”