Ambivalence

「 Inu 」

"You're breaking up with me?" the girl repeated, feeling that she was at the brink of tears.

 

The boy nodded shamelessly, an unreadable expression crossing his face. And as over the top as it may seem, she pours her heart out, finally letting that silver cold liquid roll down the curves of her cheeks, some daring to land a kiss on her lips, as others fall into oblivion. After two whole years, she claims, and he just throws that away. She pounds her fists on his chest, constantly blurting out words of hatred and sorrow. He stares at her blankly, unmoving, filled with regret that he had agreed to this.

Somehow, Sooyoung got Donghae to agree with the break up act in front of the whole student population. It wasn't exactly easy as it took a whole lot of begging, persuasion and repetitive pleases to finally break the other. And here they stand now, making Donghae seem like the bad guy, apparently, making people believe they're ending their romantic relationship. truly, she has nothing against the boy. Maybe even from their years of pretension, she looks at him as more than a friend, but that's what she want to avoid. She doesn't want her feeling to change that she can't turn back. There would be, and will be no one to replace the one man that has made her heart beat a little faster ever since they've met.

 

She walks away, tears streaming down her face. She doesn't wipe the tears, not yet.

Take a good look, people.

Her main goal is to find a secluded area for her to celebrate her success. She can't show signs of relief, can't smile because of that. So take one good look. This is the ending of it all; her final pretension. She expects people to believe. But her thought are broken with the sudden call of a familiar voice to Donghae. And when her head whips back to witness what would be going on, she blinks away glassy eyes, wipes away the remaining droplets to convince herself that what she has seen is true; Changmin delivering a surprisingly strong clout right towards Donghae's jaw, sends him staggering, and eventually losing his balance and falling to the ground.

For a moment or two, she thinks that maybe it is all an act to make the break up seem more believable. Then again, she and Donghae told no one. Not even their own friends. If the shock of the golden couple breaking up sent people into mass hysteria, staring with eyes filled with disbelief, the sudden punch from her best friend pulled them into more forms of bewilderment.

 

By instinct, Sooyoung rushes out to Donghae's side, and in the back of her mind, she should go with Changmin - she should be by the other's side, to back him up, take refuge in him, to calm him down. Yet here she is on her knees, attending to Donghae, "D-Donghae.. Are you okay?"

"It's nothing," he says quietly despite the fact that there's a searing pain spreading across the side of his face after he runs a hand over the bruised part as if rubbing will make it any better. Urging him into his feet, she leads him over to her table where her jug of frozen water is placed. And when Donghae's hand runs through the corner of his lips, a trace of blood stains on to his skin which makes her worry all the more, "Come on," she says, and it is that moment, it seems like Donghae is the only one occupying her mind as even Sooyoung herself forgot the presence of her best friend. And Changmin can only curl up his fists and watch with those painstaking eyes as she sits there by his side, using the jug as a substitute for an ice pack to serve as an instrument for cold compress.

 

Albeit it's not the other's business, they couldn't help but watch the scene, They look at the three with sad, sympathetic eyes, and it makes it seem as if they all came out from a drama. Some eyes are filled with envy, anger, pity, and some fed off of such events, and then there's this feeling of wanting to stay tuned and anticipate what happens next.

"I can't believe she's still there for him after all that!"

"Can you believe this is happening?"

"I feel sorry for Donghae."

"I, for one, feel sorry for Sooyoung."

"No! How about Changmin?"

"That escalated quickly... What now?"

But when Changmin turns to leave, nothing seems to happen. From the corner of her eyes, she spots him, yet she stays intact even though her heart keeps telling her to run after him. An incoherent sigh escapes her lips as her being gets overrun by ambivalence. Her heart tells her yes, but her minds tells her no. Nothing comes good between the fool and the coward.

 

"I'm sorry..."


Author's Note:

I thought I had this chapter up but apparently not O_O