Growing Up

「 Inu 」

 

"Oppa!" Sooyoung exclaimed as she came in Changmin's room and jumped on his bed. The boy only grunted and pulled the covers above his head, trying to block out the girl. "Yah! It's already morning. Why are you still asleep?" She pouted as she shook his body.

 

Remaining silent, Changmin shifted in his position, still soundly sleeping. With a frown, Sooyoung scoffed and hopped down his bed, pulling the covers that wrapped around him off, "Get up!" Her eyebrows knitted together, still not getting a response  from him. Climbing on top of the bed again, she began jumping continuously, disturbing Changmin's slumber... Well, trying to.

"You are hopeless!" The girl took her last last jumps and lands on the floor beside her bag. She zipped it open and took out a container neatly packed inside, "If you won't wake up, "she started, opening the container and revealing a batch of cookies, and its aroma filling the air, "I'll eat what I brought you."

 

Looking at Changmin's face for a sign, she cocked up an eyebrow as she saw his nose crinkle. She prompted on her knees and went to Changmin's side, placing the container in front of this face, close enough for him to smell much of the aroma, "Wake up, stupid!" And just like that, his eyes fluttered open, blinking a few times to adjust to his surroundings, "Sooyoung-ah..." he said as his eyes landed on her.

She let out a deep sighs, "Finally!" Using the bed post as support, she stood up and sat on the edge of the bed, "Why is so hard waking you up? I'm already tired!" Chuckling softly, Changmin scooted over to give Sooyoung more space, "Then rest for a while," he said, patting the space beside him. She groaned at him before falling back onto the bed, rolling closer to him, and then hugging him by the waist with her one arm. 

 

Her sudden act took him aback, his eyes widening for a moment, but he manages  to put an arm around her, playing with the locks of her hair as he rested his chin on the crown of her head, he smiled softly, engulfing himself in her scent, the way she pressed against him sent chills running through his spine, but then there was a certain warmth emanating from her.

 

"You're early today, SooYoung," he finally spoke after a moment of complete and utter silence, rubbing her back. The girl tilted her head up at him with squinted eyes, "I'm early? Maybe you're just late. You're getting slower by the minute, cold noodles. Is that what growing up is like?"

Changmin let out a small chuckle and pulled out of SooYoung's grip so he could sit up. He ignored her comment, and trained his eyes on the container she got him earlier, "Is that for me?" Before his hands could even get a hold of it, SooYoung had already snatched it away and out of his reach, "Nu-uh! You don't get this until you go and prepare. It's a big day, you know?" She covered he container with the lid again to keep in the moistness. Frowning slightly being deprived of his own treat, Changmin rubbed his eyes as he was still a bit groggy and he did not have a clue what was the girl fussing over about.

"You'll have your treat when you come down, hm?" She said, standing up and making her way to the door. Halfway in closing it, she paused and looked at the still clueless Changmin, "Oh... And happy birthday, oppa."

 

~~~

 

Changmin stood there, almost a bit dumbstrucked that he forgot his own birthday. It was only a week ago when SooYoung had hers, and that has always been one of their reminders that their special day is close.

 

Going out into their backyard, Changmin received a very big surprise from all the people gathered there. Family and friends yelled out their greeting as he arrived, a table was filled with wrapped gifts, all varying of sizes and wrappings, and another filled with Changmin's favorite food, and then there's his SooYoung, skipping her way towards him.

"My forgetful oppa!! I should start calling you grandpa. And at a young age, too," laughed the smaller one. The other simply shook his head, chuckling, "There is no way I'm letting you call me that." Huffing, she rolled her eyes, "Too late. Already did, cold noodles." By this, he can only let out a sigh; it wasn't from disappointment, or anything. Her sheer stubbornness was just different for him. Afterwards, Sooyoung took a few steps closer to him, "As promised, here's your treat. Hope you like it," once again, she handed over the container of cookies towards Changmin, "It isn't much of a birthday present... Didn't get to save up, but at least I made it."

 

Just then, Sooyoung's mom came over to where Changmin and Sooyoung were. "Changmin! Happy birthday, dear," her mom smiled lovingly, crinkles forming by her eyes as she did. Her eyes landed on the container which Changmin held in his hands, "I see Sooyoung had already given you the pastry we made."

Soo felt her own mouth gape, now that was so wrong. She already told her friend that she made all of them, and now this? "Mom!"

"What?" Her mom chuckles, "Sorry it's not a proper gift, but Sooyoungie here wanted to give you something made out of love... I think that's what she specifically told me."

"Okay!" Having enough and feeling her cheeks flush, her hands went to her mother's lower back, pushing her away, "He doesn't need to know that, mom." But before she could take her leave, her mom added, "Did you know she was excited to give you your gift?"

"You've made your point, mom."

And with one last chuckle, she stopped Sooyoung from pushing her, "Alright, alright. I'll leave you two alone for now. Happy birthday, Changmin!"

 

Sooyoung let out a deep sigh, scratching her head as she watched her mom go. "You looked forward to it, huh?" Changmin stifled a laugh. "Ah! Shut up!" Finally, he chuckled, "I refuse to! You just care that much, don't you?" She pushed his hand away when he began pinching her bloated cheeks, probably from the food that went there, as always, "You should stop talking about it, and start tasting it instead!"

"Tsk. So pushy of you," Changmin laughed as he took one cookie from the container. Taking a bite out of it, he shrugged his shoulders, "It's okay." Cocking up an eyebrow, she repeated his words, "It's okay? Gimme!" She took the piece from him, biting into it after, "What? It's not just okay.. Its tasty," her bottom lip started to jut out, then Changmin leaned closer to Sooyoung, their faces inches apart, and Sooyoung stared bug-eyed, still holding up the cookie that just parted with her lips. Instead of doing anything more, Changmin nibbled on the cookie between her fingers, "It tastes better now." Sooyoung blinked back in confusion, "Eh? I thought it was just okay for you." He shrugged again as Sooyoung munched on the treat again, "It tastes the same, to be honest." 

"Hm? You weirdo. You don't notice?" Changmin chuckled, claiming the cookie as his again before engulfing it wholly, "It's tastier than ever! You just make everything better, Youngie." And she stood there, not knowing how to react to his words. Once again, she found herself dumbfounded by the one and only Shim Changmin, and again, there it was; a tint of pink creeping onto her cheeks. "You look so cute having that expression," chuckled Changmin lightly.

 

"Changmin!" Someone had tackled the taller ShikShin, "Happy birthday."

 

"Hey, hyung!" Changmin laughed as the other guy hooked his arm around his neck and ruffled his hair with his free hand, "Thank you." Donghae smiled his best, and it was the kind that made girls melt, or simply warm others.  Only Sooyoung had resistance to it, actually, and Donghae appreciated how she wasn't like others; head over heel girls that would stop at nothing to get in with the popular guy. "Changmin-ah, your gift is over there at the table, just so you know," he pointed over to the gift-filled table and to a particular large box. Obviously, the two of them were close as it is. Then his eyes landed on Sooyoung. "Of course you'd be here," he teased Soo, chuckling lightly, "How's my Sooyoungie?"

YOUR Sooyoungie?! Changmin flinched, When did Sooyoung ever become his?

"Hey, Fishy," Soo grinned teasingly, "I'm as great as ever, thank you very much." With this, Donghae frowned, "Yah! What happened to oppa?" Shrugging lightly, Sooyoung continued to . She knew Donghae would complain on how she doesn't use honorific; she knows how to get under his skin. "Pfft. I threw the title out the window."

Shaking his head furiously, Donghae let out, "No no no! I simply won't accept." Sooyoung cocked up her eyes in a questiongly teasing way, "What are you going to do about it?" Finally sticking out her tongue at him. With a devilish grin now stuck to is face, Donghae took a step closer to her, "Maybe you've forgotten... I know your weak spot." 

Of course he knew, Sooyoung gulped. It was only by chance that he found it. They were friends, and it was common for him to tease. One day, pinching her sides, Sooyoung jumped, taking a step back as she giggled. Now, it's time for her to step back again, "You wouldn't dare! Not in this party," Sooyoung pouted.

"Try me."

Just then, Sooyoung took her chance and ran, feeling that he wasn't joking, she should be fleeing, though Donghae followed shortly after. Changmin stood there watching them, jealousy coiled through his veins. He didn't mind seeing Sooyoung with friends, but this is too much. Still, he watche Donghae catch Sooyoung in his arms, fingers positioned by her waist as he threatened her, while Sooyoung  kept struggling to break free, still not giving up on her freedom, and still teasing the other though in her complicated situation. As much as it pains to watch, his eyes were glued on them.

 

Somewhere in the back, Jessica lingered, only coming to Changmin's side to initiate some devious plan. She knew Changmin and Sooyoung so well, and now she can have it as an advantage. Her arms found the other and even when he tried pulling away, she kept him in place with that devious smile plastered on her face. "She got Donghae too, hm?" She had one goal for today, and she knew how to pull it off. Soo made everything so easy for her. While Changmin remained quiet, she took the chance to speak up, "Aw, oppa... Are you jealous? You know... we can also make her jealous."

Her sugar-coated words piqued Changmin's curiosity. Although her intention sounded so good to one's ear, with Jessica and her equivocalness, no one really knows how sincere that is. But then again, Changmin was blinded, overtaken with jealousy that he was so easily manipulated, so vulnerable at this state. He was young, how could he have self-control? Falling into Jessica's trap, he was dragged away, and Sooyoung couldn't help  but look.

"Youngie..."

Donghae laid a hand on her shoulder, squeezing it once. With one nod, Sooyoung turned to the other and smiled as she walked away with him. Now it was Changmin's turn to look back. That wasn't as planned.

 

~~~

 

As always, Sooyoung stayed over Changmin's place, like they used to during his birthday or other special occasion that allowed them to. Sitting down in the wooden floor, her eyes trained on to the t.v screen while her fingers worked on the consoled controller. From time to time, she'd sneak glances at the boy resting on the bed, his back rested on the headboard as his eyes scanned through the printed text he held. The silence between the two hung heavy, and it was aberrant for Soo. Not being able to take it, she spoke up, "Something wrong?"

With one small shrug as an answer, she pouted lightly and dropped the controller, turning off the t.v and the console before making her way towards the bed. "Oppa, are you upset with me?" She asked, knowing her faults of leaving with Donghae instead of staying with the birthday boy. A sigh escaped his lips as he set aside his book. "Aish, come here," said Changmin. When Sooyoung crawled to his side, only to lay her head on his shoulder, he enclosed his arms around her, once again engulfing himself in her sweet scent and the same warmth from this morning. He can't ever get enough of it.

"Believe me... I'll never be upset with you."

True enough, he wouln't. It wasn't because of her that he was upset, but something more personal. He would think these events were his fault as he got himself fooled by Jessica, instead of going to Soo himself and steal her from Donghae.

 

~~ 4 Years Later ~~

 

Today was one of those days wherein everyone was surrounded by darkness brought about by the clouds that shrouded the sky, obnubilating the sun. Clearly, the gloomy weather affected everyone... including the Choi family. 

Sooyoung sat by the stairs, listening to her parent's constant arguing. The screaming, the crying, the sharp tones from their voices... she can't take it anymore. "I'm staying over at Changmin's," she stood up and made her way to the front door, opening it. She could hear her father's heavy sigh as the sofa creaked upon his weight. Her mother turned to her, only to stop her from leaving. "Choi Sooyoung, you may not," she managed to let out with that trembling voice of hers, "Maybe years ago, I would have allowed you, but things change. A girl like you can't be stuck in the same room alone with Changmin!"

Dismayed, Sooyoung snapped back, "You can't stop me from doing even that!" Her own was filled with insouciance; nothing mattered, she just wanted to have her best friend with her, away from all the fighting. She always found solace when she was with Changmin, and so much more did she found perpetual calm. He was her escape from all the worries in this world, especially at times like this, why would her own mother take her away from such want? 

"Sooyoung, I know that Changmin means a lot to you... but you just can't. You're growing up--"

"I don't care!" She had cut her off, "Why does it take us to be grown up just to be separated like this? I can't have that..." With a shake of her head, she rushed out of the door and into the wet pavements of the streets, going off to who knows where under this rain... Maybe just a moment too soon.

 

Her mother would have shouted, but there was no use. It was hard to get pass through the stubbornness of her own daughter, what's more was she was already away, Sooyoung wouldn't be able to hear. She just hopes that she'd come back sometime soon. with one exasperated sigh, she took her place by the couch, not anymore knowing what else to do with the girl.

"Mrs. Choi?" A familiar voice spoke up when he had entered the premises. "She's not here," answered Sooyoung's mother hastily. And just like that, the boy was off.


Author's Note:

This has been way overdue! I'm sorry, but I had the final exams to think about.. I'll make it up this summer >3<