Black and White

「 Inu 」

Sooyoung was a girl loved by almost everyone. People adore her lovely and cheerful personality that can lighten up the mood for anyone. She may be seen as wild and energetic, but out of the public's eye, she was more subtle and serene.

 

Changmin, on the other hand, was the other way around. He isn't one to say much and others perceive him as cold and uncaring. Sooyoung kknows this, and so far, she's been the only one outside of the Shim family to break that cold barrier of his. Once broken, you'll see how playful he can get. In Changmin's case, he was respected by all people for always topping his class, and despite the cold attitude, he was definitely swoon worthy.

 

People never expected that Choi SooYoung would get along with someone like Changmin; the opposite of her. In fact, she wouldn't have guessed it either. They are black and white, after all; the colors that are widely used to depict opposites. However, both come to a point of convergence as all other hues come in between them or even individually, the gray areas will remain a point where both colors meet. That's how Changmin and Sooyoung are. As different as they seem, nevertheless, like how both colors meet in a point of convergence, they also has a lot of similarities. They may seem enigmatic as people find it difficult to decide whether they are more similar or more different. But then, both of them are neither really as similar as they are different. As much as the distance covered by the color black to the color white may seem far, at the end of the day, these two colors will always meet in between.

 

Opposites never gets in the way of Sooyoung. The first time they met, she already read him and was dying to know more of him. She vowed to make him open up and to keep him smiling. 

Look where they are now! The best of friends. The two seemes inseparable nowadays, especially since Sooyoung was determined to get closer to him.

 

The first few times weren't easy. Changmin seems to be avoiding her or somewhere along those lines. She could tell since she'd smile and wave when they crossed paths, but he'd turn the other way. Yes, the boy felt something weird for the girl and maybe that's why he'd feel protective of her somehow, but he really didn't like that idea. He was okay being the cold, independent person that he is.

 

He just needed to get it off his mind. "I'm too young to think that much," he mumbled to himself, taking the route to his secret place to get some well-deserved isolation. Finally reaching his destination, he was surprised to see someone else there. And the least he expected one, too. "What are you doing here?"

 

Sooyoung, who was admiring the flowers that sprouted from the ground, came a bit startled by the sudden appearance of the boy. "Oh, Ch-Changmin oppa. I didn't expect to see you here," she claimed, thinking that the place was too hidden for anybody else to discover. The meadow that they were in were past tall trees and thick bushes, and only one unnoticeable entrance behind that. "I was just exploring and I found this place. Pretty, right?" She tried to sound casual, because the way he was looking at her worried her a bit. Was she not supposed to be here?

 

"Wait. Did she just call me oppa?", Changmin's thoughts roamed. He didn't think that one simple word would make him feel a bit warm inside. No one really calls him that. He simply nodded his head, nothing to say probably. Sooyoung's worry grew and she thought that maybe the boy could've been angry at her, Maybe it was his own place, meant to be unseen, undiscovered, untouched by anyone.

 

"Oppa," she stuttered a bit, taking a few steps towards him. Changmin took a step back, but she continued to close the space between them. "What?" He asked her.

"What's in your bag?" Her eyes trained to the bag Changmin was holding, as she can swear she something move in it. They boys eyes widened and protectively held his bag, "It.. It's nothing, Sooyoungie! You must've been imagining things," he claimed, waving his hands in dismissal.

 

She saw the movement again and didn't even hesitate getting closer, her curiosity taking the best of her. Changmin bit his bottom lips, seeing as there is no stopping her. he stood there like a statue, allowing her to do as she pleased, seeing that there is no helping it.

Sooyoung ped the bag fully before letting out a shriek as something had jumped into her arms. When she regained her composure, she looked down on what it was and saw a set of cute puppy dog eyes staring back at her with even a wagging tail to match. She looked at Changmin slightly stunned, and he just shrugged, rubbing his nape and smiling sheepishly. Afterwards, Sooyoung shook off all thoughts and kept her attention on the puppy in her arms and kept on cuddling it.

 

Changmin smiled at the sight, finding it cute again. "The two of them are getting along so well", he thought.

As the puppy Soo's cheek, Changmin reached over to take the puppy from her arms into his. "She likes you that much," he chuckled, patting the dog's head. "I guess so," Soo smiled, "I thought she was a he though. How'd you even know she's a girl? She looked at him curiously.

 

The boy gulped, not sure how to explain this to someone as innocent as her. There was, after all, one way and it was all on the dog's under. "I just... have a great feeling about it. She seems feminine enough, don't you think?"

Her lips formed into an "O" shape as she mouthed the word. At least she believed it easily. "Why did it seem like you were hiding her though?" She tilted her head sideways.

"That's because I am," Changmin sat on the ground and let the puppy roam freely in the meadow. "I just found her around, no shelter or anything. I can't leave her out here all alone though I'm not supposed to have pets. Dad won't allow it."

 

Soo barely said anything and just sat down across from him, understanding the whole situation. 'Does she have a name yet?" She asked him as the puppy with snow white fur and black spots jumped to her cross-seated legs and snuggled herself there.

Changmin shook his heaf, I'm not good with naming, to be honest," he said as a matter of fact.

 

Sooyoung kept playing happily with the unnamed do, like she was teaching her tricks while looking like she was in serious thought.

Truly, Changmin kept thinking it was heartwarming to keep seeing her like this with the puppy he has grown attached with,

"How about..." she started to say, now hugging the dog, "Soomin?"

"Soomin," Changmin repeated after a while, contemplating the meaning behind the name, "I like it."


That's how they usually spent their days together. After school or even during their free time on the weekends, they'd wait for each other in that same meadow. They called it their own world where they were free to do anything. It's always what they looked forward to, day after day.


Author's note:

dafghjkl!! Sorry for the late update! I'll try more in the upcoming weeks. I'm just reaaaallllyyy busy. OTL

I'll get the next one soon. ^^