Plan

Burden (Editing, Will be done soon ;)

 

              Even though Eric hadn’t visited my apartment after making me breakfast the day before, I was still very careful to avoid him.  I was fairly certain that he didn’t want me attending today’s schedules either.  After I was certain that Eric had left, I warily opened my apartment’s door and peaked into the long hallway, it was empty.  I grinned in satisfaction and crutched into the hallway.  Everything was going just as planned.  I rode the elevator down to the bottom floor where the taxi I had called was already waiting.  I threw my crutches in first and then hopped in the back.  The ride to the studio where we would be filming felt like an eternity.  I was going back and forth between worry and satisfaction.  I was worried that Eric and the other members would scold me, but satisfied that I had decided to do something about the situation.

              “We’ve arrived, sir,” the driver reported and snapped me out of my thoughts.  I quickly paid the driver and thanked him.  I looked up at the building in front of me and bit my lip.  I hadn’t even told my manager that I would be attending today’s filming.  I quickly brushed away my doubtful thoughts and slung my backpack over my shoulder in defiance.  I gripped the handle of my crutches and made my way towards the entrance.

 

              “So how did Hyesung take the news this morning?” Minwoo directed his question to Eric.  Eric snapped his head up at the mention of his neighbor’s name.

              “What do you mean?” Eric asked in confusion.

              “You did tell him to take today off as well, right?” Minwoo said slowly.  Eric looked down and scratched his head in response.

              “You didn’t tell him?” Minwoo responded incredulously.

              “He was so upset that he had to stay home the other day…and I didn’t feel like getting yelled at today,” Eric defended himself as he played with a string on the waiting room’s couch.  Minwoo sighed in defeat.

              “Are you sure you’re older than me?” Minwoo finished.  The little exchange between the two members didn’t go unnoticed by the others.

              “So…does that mean Hyesung is coming today?” Andy asked from where he was getting his makeup done.

              “Knowing him, he will,” Junjin commented as he continued to read his magazine that Dongwan had spent the last five minutes trying to read as well over Junjin’s shoulder.

              “Aish!  You’re making me feel uncomfortable!  Here!” Junjin finally gave up and the magazine into Dongwan’s hands.

              “Thanks!” Dongwan beamed and plopped down next to Eric on the couch with the magazine in hand.  Junjin stood up and sighed.

              “I guess I’ll go meet him then,” Junjin yelled as he began walking out of the room and he received a few mumbled responses from his hyungs and Andy.

 

              I had been hopelessly searching the first floor for the elevator, but thus far my efforts had been fruitless.  I stopped to rest my sore legs.  After massaging my overworked left leg for a second I looked up at the stairs that went through the building.  I immediately growled my dissatisfaction at the task that I knew lay ahead and crutched towards the stairs.  I reached the first step and took my crutches in one hand and used the other hand to grip the railing for support.  Even though my right leg only had to support my body weight for a second, the pain was immense.  With no one around, I freely let my face form an unmasked grimace of pain as I continued up the stairs.  Due to my intense concentration, I didn’t hear Junjin making his way down the stairs towards me.

              “Oh my gosh!  Really hyung?” I heard his exasperated voice.  I stopped and looked up into Junjin’s eyes.  He smiled back and then his face became serious again.

              “Did you honestly think you would make it to the third floor without any help?” He asked as he moved to my side and snatched the crutches from my hand.  He quickly lifted my arm and flung it over his shoulder.  At the same time he moved his other arm to wrap around my waist firmly.

              “Jin-ah, I’m fine-“ I began but he cut off.

              “Don’t even start Hyesung-hyung.  It’s no problem at all for me to help you,” Junjin said and I felt the blush spread to my cheeks.  I felt embarrassed that I was so easy to read.  All the other members must have noticed how worried I was about my part in the team now that I was injured too.  I wordlessly let Junjin assist me up the rest of the stairs.  I slowly began leaning more and more on Junjin as the stairs took their toll on my knee.  When we reached the third floor, Junjin gave me a moment of rest and I gratefully took it.  The journey left me sweating and panting slightly from the pain.  Junjin looked at me with concern.

              “Do you want to sit?” He hesitated.  I shook my head and stood up straight.  I grabbed the crutches from Junjin and began crutching down the corridor.

              “Wait!  You don’t even know what room we’re in!” He yelled as he jogged up behind me.  He passed me and took the lead.  I followed after him in silence as I waited for the effects of the painful climb to wear off.  I watched as Junjin disappeared into a room in front of me and I copied.

 

              Junjin walked back into the waiting room and all of the members immediately perked up.  There was a pause, and then the sound of crutches could be heard just outside the door.  Hyesung slowly appeared, pale-faced, with crutches in hand.  A small moment of silence spread through the room.

              “Yo, Hyesung,” Minwoo greeted casually and broke the awkward atmosphere.  A small smile appeared on Hyesung’s face.

              “Hey,” he responded and then made his way into the room.  Dongwan and Eric immediately jumped off the couch so that Hyesung could sit down.  Hyesung hesitated at the action, but then slowly sat down on the now unoccupied couch.  He gathered his crutches and leaned them against the couch beside him as the members watched.

              “Aish!  What?” Hyesung suddenly exploded and eyed each member.

              “Welcome back,” Eric awkwardly congratulated Hyesung.

 

              “Welcome back?  When did he leave?” Junjin criticized like he was a complete idiot.

              “Yah!  I was just trying to break the awkward atmosphere!” Eric retorted.

              “Maybe you should have actually thought about what you were going to say before you said it,” Andy joined in as he stood up from the makeup chair.

              “Yeah, even I could have come up with something better than that,” Dongwan snickered.

              “It’s insult Eric day!” Minwoo announced and began jumping around Eric.  The members laughed and then began throwing random insults at Eric.

              “Hahahahaha!” There was a loud outburst of laughter and everyone stopped.  Hyesung was clutching his stomach as he giggled loudly on the couch.  All the other members’ faces burst into smiles and they rushed over to involve Hyesung in the fun.

 

              After we had each taken turns insulting Eric until everyone ran out of insults, the members and I had settled down and were doing our own things.

              “How’s the appendage?” Minwoo asked as he tapped my kneecap lightly and sat down next to me.

              “OW!” I yelled out slumped over.  Minwoo immediately grabbed my shoulders and looked around in a panic.  I sat up laughing and noticed that the other members had stood up too, but after seeing me laughing, they resumed their positions.

              “I couldn’t resist,” I smiled sheepishly at Minwoo.  He let out a deep breath and released my shoulders.

              “Geez, Hyesung!” he smiled.

              “So really, how’s your knee?  I mean I’m pretty sure one of your managers came to tell us at the party, but honestly, I can’t remember a thing,” Minwoo wiggled his eyebrows knowingly.

              “Well…” I began and could practically feel the other members leaning in to listen.

              “The doctor said I need surgery,” Minwoo let out an audible gasp.

              “Sugery?  It’s that bad?” He said and I nodded and then continued.

              “But I told him that I don't want to get the surgery right now, so instead I’ll have physical therapy,” I finished.

              “Hyesung!  You need to get the surgery if your doctor said so!” Minwoo lectured.

              “Yeah hyung, It’d be bad if it got worse while you are doing activities,” Andy gave me a knowing look.

              “But I’d be out for almost a year,” I tried to justify my decision to them.  And our comeback would be ruined because of me.  I thought in my head.

              “Your health is much more important,” Junjin added and Dongwan nodded firmly in agreement behind him.

              “Everyone’s right Hyesungie,” Eric added gently.  I huffed in frustration.

              “Whatever, I don’t want to talk about this!” I said shutting my eyes and standing up.  I snapped open my eyes and glared directly at the makeup chair as I gripped my crutches and made my way over to it.  I felt angry that the other members didn’t understand that I only made that decision for them.

 

              “Please start making your way over to the recording studio,” one of the female staff members kindly instructed from the doorway.  I hadn't moved from where I was situated in the makeup chair since I had argued with the members.  I had also refused to acknowledge them and even they had grown silent after the disagreement.  I sighed and grabbed my crutches.  I was the first to reach the door and I stopped, hindering the other members’ path.  I mustered up my courage for what I was about to do.

              “Sorry, but I’m not going to change my decision,” I mumbled under my breath.  I heard Eric sigh in exasperation behind me, probably because of my immaturity.

              “Hyesung, we were talking and we decided to respect your decision, on the condition that you try not to push yourself,” He spoke for the other members.  I turned around and looked at them.

              “Just tell me when I start slowing you guys down,” I added still looking at the ground.  I quickly turned around and crutched into the hallway.  That was as close as I was going to get to confessing my true worries to the members.  Knowing Minwoo, he probably already had my feelings figured out and would most likely explain to the others.  I felt slightly embarrassed at the thought of the guys knowing about how I felt, but I knew that after fourteen years of friendship, they were just the solution I needed for my dilemmas.