no answer

no answer

 

His hand trembles as he combs his dark brown hair in front of the vanity mirror in his bed room. He takes an uneven breath that vibrates nervously throughout his body. This is the first time in a long time that he will go to see Chanyeol again and it's painful. Theirs is not a clean break. Baekhyun is still hurt and still unsure why it happened. He asks himself again if he had done things differently, could Chanyeol have stayed with him. If he did not ask for too much, could Chanyeol still be... He stops himself in mid thought. Tears are threatening to spill and he can't afford them. He has to look his best for this meeting.

Baekhyun is sure there are no second chances. He already knows the outcome even before he gets to the place where Chanyeol is. He is sure that after this there will again be long sleepless nights of despair--lying in bed alone, wearing Chanyeol's blue shirt and hugging Chanyeol's framed picture against his chest. He knows that seeing him today will open wounds that are barely even healed and will probably cause new ones. But he has to do this. He loves him too much not to.

The sky is overcast--the clouds thick, heavy and gray--an exact reflection of what Baekhyun feels as he walks through the grassy path. Every step grows in weight and gets slower; until he stops in front of the man he gave himself to. The are no hellos, no greetings, not even a smile. But Baekhyun persists because he misses him. His lower lip quivers as he tries to speak. "It's been quite a while," he says and there is no response. He only hears the silent whistling of the wind as it carries his faint voice over to where Chanyeol is. "I'm sorry for not talking to you... for staying away for so long when I knew I needed to do this." He stares at the ground and his vision blurs. His heart constricts for there is still no answer. Baekhyun feels himself break all over again because he knows there will be none. No one will tell him why he can't move on, why he can't stop loving this man so much and why he can't forget about him. There will also be no Chanyeol who holds his hand while telling him everything's going to be alright. He is cold and there will be no Chanyeol who will wrap his arms around him and kiss him until he feels warm.

His knees give with the onslaught of fresh pain and he drops down in front of Chanyeol as if begging for something, anything to ease this loneliness suffocating him.

Tears falling in earnest now, he whimpers and speaks brokenly. "I love you. Won't you come back to me?"

He lays a slender hand over Chanyeol's name engraved on the white marble that separates him cruelly from the man he will continue to love forever. He asks and pleads and cries but there will never be an answer.