Chapter 2

Raindrops on the Rooftop

Lee Jieun/IU POV:

I woke up to the smell of fresh coffee being made. I heard a few clinks here and there and decided to greet my uncle. 
" Ssaaaaaaaaammmmchooooooon ~ " I yawned and stretched my sleeping arms out. 
" Eeeeuuuuyyyaaaaaahh ~ " my uncle called back out to me, causing me to smile.
I was glad to wake up every morning to the smell of fresh, brewing coffee and the silly voice of my uncle. He was practically the only family I had left since the... accident that caused the loss of my parents and siblings.. He treated me as if I were his own daughter. He offered and provided so many things for me; I was even able to obtain a job and attend college because of him. He also, unwillingly, allowed me to live in this cafe as if it were my own home... Honestly, I don't feel comfortable in houses anymore. I could also tell that he sensed  this. He didn't know much about the accident but he knew enough of it. I was glad that he was such a great uncle, though. He respected my choices and never pushed the limits that related to the accident. I was lucky that they found Jaesuk instead of another. To me, he's the best and closest thing I have left of a family. He became the parent that I yearned for when there was no one left to comfort me, and the sibling I could joke and play around with when I just needed a break from reality.
" Get up now and prepare the cafe, " Jaesuk said from the counter, " it's almost eight. " 
" Aaaiiihhhh.... " I tiredly let out. I lazily put my sleeping mat away and headed to the bathroom to wash and dress up. After putting the last of my outfit on (the cafe's specially designed apron), I set the tables and chairs up. Giving them all a quick wipe down, I allowed sunlight to stream in by parting the window curtains. My uncle had walked over to unlock the front doors and gave me permission to head to the kitchen. 
" Oh, yeah! " I suddenly remembered, " Samchon, I found a keychain that was left here last night. "
" Ah, really? " he asked. " Can I take a look at it? "
I had set the keychain on a nearby table and handed it to him. He examined it for a moment, trying to remember where he'd seen it before. His expression suddenly got bright before he looked back at me.
" Was this next to one of the booths? " he questioned.
" Ye, it was sitting under the one over there, " I pointed to where it was lying the night before.
" Ah, ye! It belongs to one of the 2PM members, " he told me. " I've seen one of them holding it before. I just can't seem to remember the guy's name... " he said while examining the keychain once more. " But it's alright, they should be heading over here soon. I'll ask them about it when they get here. " 
" Alright, " I said before making my way to the kitchen.
" Wait! Jieun, keep this with you. If it's with me, it's guaranteed to be lost... " he said sheepishly. 
" Haha, okay, " I said, taking the object back once more. " I'll be in the kitchen now, " I informed him as I stepped off the wooden boards and onto cold tiles.
Before checking the baking breads that my uncle usually had ready, I laid the keychain down on the counter. As expected, I opened the oven to find that it hadn't even been yet. " Samchon, " I simply called out.
" Ye? " he replied. 
" The oven. " 
" ... "
" ... Oh... " he realized. " I thought I turned it on! "
I laughed and turned the dial. " It's alright, I got it. " 
After attending that, I grabbed my guitar once more and sat on a stool. Reading the notes that I scribbled down last night, I entered into my own world once more. 

 

Wooyoung POV:

The guys and I were hanging out at our regular booth, sitting inside the Elephant Cafe. We had just finished performing and were now refueling with the drinks in front of us. As we talked, Jieun came from the kitchen and walked over to us. We greeted each other and all hung out together, as if we were all close friends. She laughed and showed the brightest smiles. Her voice... Have I ever even heard her voice before?

 

 My alarm clock blared through my ears and I lazily sat up to shut it off. 'Interesting dream...' I thought as I rubbed the back of my head. 'Hmm, well.. Another day of college!' I sarcastically thought. '... I'll just get ready now and meet up with the guys.' I stood from my bed, stretching, and entered the bathroom. After taking a refreshing shower and dressing myself up, I grabbed my backpack and headed out the door. 'Wait a minute...' I thought as I pulled my backpack from me and scanned it. 'Where's my keychain??' Pulling my phone out, I texted the others to ask where they were all currently at and if they might have had or seen my keychain. As usual, we all just decided to meet at the cafe first. None of them had seen it but they said that they'd keep their eyes out for it. 'Hmm... it shouldn't be too hard to find, right? Must have fallen some time last night.'
"Why is that keychain so important to you?" you may be asking yourself. Well, my mentor had that keychain custom made for me. Because my parents are usually too busy to be around to do stuff like encouraging me, my mentor gave the keychain to me as an encouragement in pursuing my musical dreams. My initials were studded to the middle of the keychain while six bolts surrounded it. I guess he wanted to give off a metaphoric message by making the initials have the ability to glow in the dark, saying that I too had the ability to do so. And also by having six bolts specifically, it symbolized the united members of 2PM. That keychain, as small as it was, was pretty important to me, I would say. It helped me through those long nights of practice and the stressful days of performing.
But, this wouldn't be the first time that I misplaced the keychain. I was sure that it was probably just sitting around my room floor or something. I wasn't in panic mode or anything. Not yet...
Stepping up to the doors of the Elephant Cafe, I peeked through the windows before entering. 
" Ah, annyeonghasaeyo, Jaesuk-ssi! " I called out while bowing my head in greeting. 
" Wooyoung-ssi! Welcome; your friends are over here, " he waved me over to where Junsu, Taecyeon and Chansung were already seated. 
" Hey, guys! When did you all get here? " I asked while first grabbing Junsu's hand, then proceeding to the others.
" We just got here a while ago. I was just about to ask Jaesuk whether he had seen your keychain or not, too, " he responded.
" Oh, yeah! Jaesuk, have you seen a keychain around here at all? I was thinking that I might've dropped it last night, " I turned to ask him.
" Oh! So you were the one who lost that keychain; I thought it belonged to your other friend. Yeah, my niece found it last night and I asked her to hold onto it for me, " he informed me before a few other customers began entering. 
" Hello! I'll be right back with you guys. Wooyoung, you can just go into the kitchen; the keychain should be on the counter, " he told me as he started attending to the other customers. 
" Cool, thanks! " I said before he left. 'His niece?'
" Hey, I'll be right back, " I nodded to the guys before walking through the kitchen doors. 
My steps slowed to a stop as I heard a guitar being played. But because my curiosity got the best of me, I slowly proceeded around the corner to see who it was. Soon, a soft voice was heard and I froze in my tracks. 'That voice...' It hypnotized me and my curiosity only grew deeper. 'It couldn't be... could it?' I peeked over the corner and I could feel my own eyes widen in surprise. 
'... J-Jieun...'

 

Lee Jieun/IU POV:

*CLANG*

I quickly spun around to the sudden startling noise behind me. The figure standing there was just as surprised and tried his best to gather the items he caused to fall. 

'W-WOOYOUNG?!' I thought in panic as I finally saw and recognized his face. I hastily put my guitar down and stood up. He glanced up at me, flustered, still trying to balance the pots that fell. After stabilizing the objects, his hand was awkwardly placed behind his head as he nervously apologized. 

" I-I'm sorry.. " he stated. Something within me fluttered and caused myself to be at a loss for words. I could only feel my mouth attempt to say something, though nothing came out. 

" I-I was uh looking for a keychain. Jaesuk told me that it'd be in here, " he said while looking around, acting as if that was the reason as to why the objects had fallen. 

" I didn't mean to interrupt, " he continued. I only nodded in response before realizing that the keychain I had found belonged to him. I turned to search for where I had last left it. Grabbing the keychain, I handed it to him and gave a small smile.

" Thanks! " he bowed once more and began retreating. I stood and watched him shyly leave. " I -uh- really like your voice, " he said before backing out the door. 

Taken aback, I continued standing in place and started to feel my cheeks heat up as there was a a strange flutter within me. 'Oh gosh...' I thought before I shook my head took a deep breath. 'This... can't be happening again...' I fought the thoughts away and walked towards the stool again. 'I'm not ready for this yet...' 

 

Wooyoung POV:

I rushed out of the kitchen and back towards the guys. I could feel my heart pulsing; what was I feeling? 

" Hey Wooyoung! Did you find your keychain? " Nichkhun asked me as he was getting seated.

I nodded quickly, regaining my composure. I slightly lifted the keychain as proof. " Yeah, they found it here last night, " I said as I also sat down.

" Ah, that's good then! I wonder how it must have fallen off, " he said.

" Honestly Wooyoung... I was playing around with your keychain last night and I guess it fell off... I should have told you first, I'm sorry, " Junho hung his head a bit. " I was afraid of how you'd react... " 

I laughed, " You should have just told me! It's alright though, at least it was in good hands. " Junho nodded his head and we shook the topic off. 

Once again, it was difficult for me to focus on what the others were talking about; I was still dazed by the encounter with Jieun earlier. Her voice was all that I could think of. It was... amazing. I couldn't find any other words to describe it. Soon, the time for our first class to begin was nearing. I wondered if Jieun had the same class schedules as me. I mean! ... as us. (The other members and I had basically signed up for all the same classes this semester.) 

'I want to hear her talk...' My mind unconsciously thought. The others stood and made their way towards the entrance. 

" Hey, I'll pay for the drinks this time. You guys go on ahead, " I told them. 

" Aw, really? Thanks man! " They said and headed out the door. I walked to the cashier where Jaesuk stood and took my wallet out. 

" Wooyoung-ah! You don't have to pay, it'll be my treat this time, " Jaesuk said, rejecting my pay. 

" Ah, I can't do that! Let me pay this time; after all, you did find my keychain, " I persistently handed him the money. 

" Aigoo! Fine; but the next bill is on me then! " Jaesuk finally accepted the pay. " I'll see you guys in a bit. "

" Ye, see you after our first class, " I laughed. Just as I was turning to leave, I saw Jieun exit the cafe. I quickened my pace and caught the door just as she stepped out. 

" Ah, annyeonghasaeyo, " I said as she turned around, surprised by my sudden presence. " So about earlier... Uh... I'm sorry for barging in like that. " 

She only nodded shortly, so I continued, "It's just... that keychain means a lot to me... " She nodded again and I turned my gaze forward. For some reason, I wouldn't stop wondering if she would say something to me. I just wanted to hear her voice again, or maybe even just a simple noise like a giggle. 

As we continued to walk towards the university together, I stole a few glances here and there but she would always be looking elsewhere. We both didn't say a single word and soon approached the building. I spotted a few of the guys and decided that I should probably join them. 

" I'll see you later, " I quietly began. This time, her lips slightly curved when she nodded her head. I waved goodbye and walked over to Chansung. I could feel my heart beating again; I was sure of what this feeling was now. 

" Where were you? " I heard Chansung say into my ear. 

" I was on my way from the cafe, " I casually replied. 

He rolled his eyes and leaned in to whisper to me, " Then why were you with Lee Jieun? " 

I pushed him out of my face, sensing the joke in his tone of voice. " We just ran into each other, that's all, " I gave him an assuring look and walked into the classroom. He followed behind me but snickered as he did. Of course, I knew that I hadn't just accidentally 'run' into her; I purposely tried to make the situation so. I also knew that the strange patterns of my heart weren't coming from my diet either; my body was in perfect condition. And my curiosity of her only continued to grow. 

So maybe... Maybe I had fallen for her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N:

 

Oh my gosh. We actually updated. 4 months. We're still alive! >< lol

 

 

I'm just super lazy with thiz fanfic, sorry...

 

Well actually I renovated it like... 3-5 times. Looks cool, right? :P

 

 

Well, anyway, thanks for reading! Tell me how you enjoy the story so far, you ~

 

(BTW; I will honestly say: Our next update may also take a ... LONG time...)

 

 

Serry :P

 

 

 

(We're currently in the midst of picking this story back up! SorrysorrySORRY for the terribly long wait!!)

5.23.13