Persuade

Persuade

Note: This is a work of fiction. Any relation to real-life events and people are entirely coincidental.

Author's note: Another attempt at writing YoonSic. Enjoy! Please leave comments (or you could just opt to click that little icon that has an arrow at the lower right portion of the post if you enjoyed the story).

-------

Yoona and Jessica had been friends since high school. They went their separate ways in college since they went to different campuses of the same university. Yoona was planning to transfer to Jessica’s university because she didn’t like the program she was taking. She isn’t sure where to transfer yet. Jessica wants to transfer to Sports Science because she feels that this is what will make her happy. They go to the college that has the Sports Science Program to obtain application forms.

“Yoona, you should take Sports Science. It’s very interesting. The subjects are really good. Right now, I’m taking Ana-Physio and we discuss a lot of cool stuff. Like, for example, if you break your ankle, what ligament would be torn? Like, what’s the difference in the body of sprinters and long-distance runners?”

“You already told me that. A long-distance runner has a better body figure.”

“Oh. See, it’s really fascinating and worth learning. It’s awesome.”

“Well, it is quite interesting. But, I haven’t told my parents yet that I’ll be applying for this program.”

“Its curriculum is very much related to medicine and you ought to take it.”

Yoona and Jessica were both planning to enter med school and so they had to take pre-med courses.

“I’m not that sure that I want to pursue sports for the rest of my life.” Yoona knew she was good in a couple of sports but she wasn’t confident enough that she could compete with other players.

“You won’t be playing sports all the time. You’ll get to learn first aid, proper techniques and many other stuff.”

“Does it have a thesis?”

“Yeah. But, it’s fairly easy. I heard of one about the advantage of being right-handed or left-handed in sports. You had to analyze which one was better. It turns out there really isn’t an advantage physically. It just depends on the population. Since there are more right-handed people, left-handed athletes are prepared when they compete with right-handed athletes. Right-handed athletes aren’t used to competing against left-handed athletes since they have only practices with few left-handed athletes. See, it’s that simple.”

Yoona, still not convinced, just creases her brows and forces out a smile.

“All, I can promise you is that I’ll take the physical exams.”

“But if you get accepted in the other program, you’ll take the other one, right?”

“Come on, don’t be like this. I’ll think about it during the summer, okay?”

Throughout their walk, Jessica kept convincing Yoona to take the program. Yoona could do nothing but just listen and nod.

“You know, our batchmates have already pursued their passions. Ivan is now shifting to Music. Paula is going to transfer to Fine Arts. Louie is going to take Political Science.”

“Wow, they’re really transferring, how bold of them.”

Yoona could only nod in amazement as she realized that these people really went after their aspirations. Yoona and Jessica came from a Science high school so all their batchmates, including themselves, had to take science courses. Seeing these people abandon their science courses is indeed unexpected.

“Jessica, what if I don’t pass the physical exam?”

“You’ll pass. What kind of thought is that?”

Jessica smiled mischievously. “There’s an IQ test though. Maybe you should think about that.”

Yoona made a face and they ended up both laughing.  

They then met their friend Tiffany.

“Hey”

“Hi”

“You know, Jessica. You’re stealing my time with Yoona. It is my birthday tomorrow.” She batted her eyelashes causing the other two to laugh.

“Well, we’re here now. So stop complaining.”

“Tiffany, tell Yoona that she should take Sports Science. I keep reasoning with her but she just keeps on shrugging.”

“Yoona, don’t take Sports Science. Jesssica will just bully you.”

“WTH”

“Let her decide on her own. You’re confusing her, you know.”

“Fine. Whatever.”

“Hey, what’s with you and Francis?”

“Oh, we’re together.”

“Since when?”

“Last week, March 5 to be exact.”

“Are you joking?” Yoona and Tiffany exclaimed at the same time.

“Why do people keep on asking me that?”

“Oh, so it confirms my guess. I was attending my Geog class and the two of you suddenly passed by me holding hands. Way to show PDA, Jessica.”

“Hey! We were just holding hands.”

“Really? Did you tell Yuri already?”

“Yeah, last Tuesday.”

“What? That liar! I asked her that morning about you and Francis and she said you were just friends.”

“Oh, I told her in the afternoon.” Jessica smiled sheepishly.

“Still! She told me she’d text me as soon as she found out what the real deal was between you and Francis is.” Tiffany was upset. She kept huffing and it looked like steam was coming out from her ears.

Yoona took the interlude as a sign that she could speak up.

“But you told us last time we met you that you were just friends.”

“Yeah, we still were back then. He just asked me last week.”

“Why didn’t you bother to tell us then? Why? I thought we were friends!” Lucky for Jessica, Yoona had just voiced out that concern or Tiffany would’ve yelled exactly that at Jessica.

Jessica could only smile sheepishly. She didn’t know what to do.

Tiffany kept on observing Jessica. As she was telling her story about Francis, she didn’t even giggle once or stutter. She seemed like she was unaffected. Girls who are in love don’t act this way. When they speak about their lovers, they swoon and look dreamy. Something was seriously off with their relationship or Jessica was just plain weird.

Jessica and Tiffany kept arguing, oblivious to the crestfallen Yoona whose tears were threatening to fall.

“Bathroom,” Yoona said in a rush and she quickly bolted. She couldn’t let Jessica see her tearstained face.

After drying up and making sure that her eyes looked normal, she hurried to Jessica and Tiffany who by then were already laughing, a complete turnaround from their argument earlier.

“Hey, let’s get going. I’m gonna be late.”

“Okay, Yoona and I will walk you to your next class.”

“Walk. Seriously? It’s like 5km from here.” Yoona voiced out.

“Oh, Yoona. People here walk. Get used to it.” Jessica said in an exasperated tone.

“Fine.” Yoona kept grumbling all the way to the building and she even took out her umbrella. Jessica gave Yoona half of her lunch to stop her grumbling. Yoona joyously took it and dug in. Jessica smiled at how easily Yoona succumbs to food.

“Hey, Yoona. Will you take Sports Science if I treat you to a buffet every week?”

Yoona was about to nod vigorously when she suddenly glared and looked at Jessica incredulously.

“Does that include bottomless drinks?”

The three of them laughed just like old times and these were the moments that made them feel their bond of friendship could never be broken.

Yoona stuck her tongue out at Jessica. “You can’t buy me like that. As I said earlier, I’ll think about it.” Yoona smiled. She smiled as if there was no problem at all, as if everything was fine, as if she couldn’t hear her heart cracking.

“What if I make it twice a week?”

“Oh, cut it out Jessica. Stop bullying Yoona.”

“Yoona, why don’t you just take the program? I need girl friends. I haven’t had one during college. I rarely see Tiffany. I seldom see Taeyeon or Sooyoung, either. I’m always surrounded by guy friends during college. I miss having girl friends. It’s different, you know.” Jessica pouted.

Yoona felt her heart melt at Jessica’s aegyo. But she couldn’t relent. Aside from the fact that she hadn’t told her parents yet, she couldn’t stand being around Jessica while Francis was with her.

“I’ll think about it.”

“I need to have girl friends so that a boyfriend would no be longer necessary.”

Tiffany laughed loudly. She was clutching her stomach while Yoona tried to laugh as well. Yoona was unsuccessful though as she struggled to absorb Jessica’s statement which pulled her heartstrings. She let out a forced laugh which wasn’t noticed by Jessica since Tiffany was so loud.

As Tiffany’s laughter died down, she asked, “Seriously, you’re like gonna break up with him?”

“Yes. I’ll break it to him gently like-

“-I’m sorry but I already have other friends, I don’t need you anymore.” Tiffany interrupted jokingly. She still kept on laughing in spite of Jessica’s upset countenance.

“Oh, Tiffany, quit messing with me. I think Francis knows that I don’t really love him. Last week, he was still my friend. Then, he suddenly, though somehow hesitantly, asked me if it was okay to be his girlfriend. I simply replied with okay, but nothing changed much from aside from the holding hands thing. We were still friendly with each other.”

“Jessica, you’re odd.”

“You don’t know our story, Tiffany. See, Francis and I became friends because he was helping me hook up with my crush. He’s been helping me stalk my crush for weeks and he knows that if ever my crush ever asks me to be his girlfriend, I would choose to leave Francis. I know that he knows that deep within my heart, we can never be more than friends.”

“Wow, that’s kind of cruel Jessica.”

“I think so too. But he’s okay with it. So, let’s leave it at that for now.”

Jessica looked down. Yoona felt hope gushing from her chest and she clung to every word Jessica said. Tiffany, on the other hand, felt sad but was woken up from her reverie upon looking at her watch.
“I’m late,” Tiffany suddenly yelled.

It made Yoona and Jessica jump. Tiffany curtly yelled, “Goodbye guys” and ran as fast as her legs could.

Yoona and Jessica just laughed at her and went back the direction they came from.

“Did you really mean it? I mean, wouldn’t Francis blame me for your break up.”

“Huh. Oh.” Jessica was broke from her stupor. “He won’t. He understands me well enough. He’ll know that I can’t be at two places at one time. If I have you to hang out with, Francis and I will have less time together but he won’t get upset.”

“Anyway, about the program, I’ll consider it. Please don’t be angry with me. You know that my parents have a hand in the program I choose. Even if we aren’t in the same college, I’ll still hang with you a lot, I promise. We’re best friends, aren’t we?”

“Oh, so now, you agree with that? I thought I wasn’t your best friend. It was rather upsetting. Here I was thinking I’m very special to you ‘cause I got a Christmas letter, turns out you sent it to a bunch of people as well.”

“Jessica, are you still not letting that go? I only sent a handful. I sent letters to Tiffany, Taeyeon, Yuri ‘and many more’ … Yoona tried to smile. Then she suddenly remembered.

“Hey, you have no right to complain. You only read my letter like two months after Christmas.”

“They didn’t give it to me.” Jessica said with a pleading look.

If only aegyos were banned, Yoona would have an easier time living.

“Fine. Let’s just go.”

“Where are we going?”

“Uhm, haven’t you got an event to go to with your guy friends?”

“Oh, yeah. Thanks for reminding me. Come with.”

“I can’t. Still got classes later.”

“Oh, can’t you cut them?”

“Jessi, this is why I can’t trust you to be my constant companion, thus, we can’t be classmates. You’re a bad influence to me.”

“What, bad influence?” Jessica looked away as if hurt.

Yoona just laughed at Jessica’s cute antics and held her hand.

“Let’s go back to your college now. Your friends might come looking for you.”

Jessica noticed a hint of bitterness in Yoona’s voice. It was very unlike Yoona to be possessive.

“Yoona, are you okay? I’m sorry I hadn’t told you earlier about Francis.”

“That’s okay. I know you and Yuri are closer than me and you, so no sweat. Anyway, you know I only wait till you tell me stuff. I never pry, meaning I don’t ask, so it’s fine.” Yoona said it forcibly- as if her mind agreed but her heart didn’t.

“Oh, please don’t think that way. You do know that you, Yuri and Tiffany are my dear friends, right?”

“Didn’t you just tell Tiffany that Yuri thinks you are her best friend but she isn’t yours? It’s kind of sick, the unreciprocated best friendship that you told her about.”

Yoona looked serious. Jessica could not read Yoona for the first time ever. ‘When did Yoona ever learn to make a poker face? I guess Tiffany taught her. Aish, Tiffany, your making my life difficult.’

“Couldn’t you tell I was just joking back there?” Jessica said timidly. She wasn’t used to a serious Yoona. Suddenly, there was a choking sound coming from Yoona.

Yoona finding she succeeded in fooling Jessica broke into a fit of laughter. Jessica frowned and left the laughing Yoona.

Jessica, feigning anger, walked aimlessly, not clearly looking at where she’s going. She had reached the curb without knowing it.

Yoona, recovering from her laughing fit straightened up and heard a familiar sound. ‘There’s an approaching bicycle around the corner.’

Yoona pulled Jessica just in time to prevent her from colliding with an oncoming cyclist who just turned from the corner.

“Oh My God!”

“Jessica, you should look where you’re going! Are you okay?”

Jessica, unable to hide her fright, kept looking at space.

“Jessica!” Yoona snapped her fingers to get her attention. But then Jessica started crying and Yoona could only hold her and rub her back.

“Shhhh, Sica, it’s okay now. The bicycle’s already gone. I’m here. I’m not gonna let anything happen to you.”

“I’m sorry, Yoona. You must think I’m such a wimp now.”

“Good thing you know. Now, stop crying or you there won’t be an end to my teasing.”

As stupid as the statement sounded, it made Jessica laugh. ‘Yoona, really knows me well. This is what made me like her in the first place. If she keeps this up, I may no longer be able to hold back.’

“Thanks, Yoona.”

“You know, I’ll always be here for you right? So stop crying. I may be late for class but I think we need to get some ice cream first.”

“I’m sorry that you’ll be late for class.” Jessica was smiling like an idiot; she totally looked like she wasn’t at all sorry.

‘You are certainly a bad influence, Jessica. If only I could care less for you. But that isn’t really possible now, is it?’

“Let’s be quick, please.”

“Okay.” Jessica clung to Yoona like a kid.

‘Good thing, she got past the shock that she experienced. I hope she forgets it eventually.’

“Yoona, thanks.”

“Sheesh, will you please stop thanking me. I know your just stalling to make me miss my class.”

Jessica grinned mischievously. “What? I would do no such thing.”

“Yeah, way to hide your intentions, Sica. Strawberry?”

“Uhm-hmm.”

‘Why is it that Yoona still knows my favorite flavor? I feel so sad that I haven’t done that much for her. And here I am saying that I have a crush on her when I can’t even remember her favorite ice cream flavor. ’

“Yoona, I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“For not being a good friend.”

“What? What made you think of that?”

“Well, for one, I can’t even remember your favorite flavor. And well, I’m just a bad friend.”

“Ha ha that’t not the measure of friendship.” ‘And besides, your presence is more than enough for me.’

“But still.” ‘I know what’ll make her happy. It’ll make up for it- or not. I won’t honestly know till I try right?’

“Yoona”

“Uhm?”

“You wanna know something?”

“Okay”

‘I need to blurt this out before my rationale steps in.’ “I’ve had a crush on you since fourth year.” Jessica turned beet red.

“You’re joking right?”

Jessica looked hurt. When Jessica did not respond, Yoona took it that she meant it.

“Oh, I never knew.”

Unbeknownst to Jessica, an internal struggle was happening in Yoona’s head. ‘She likes me the same way I like her. I should feel happy right now but oddly I can’t. Why’d I have to be so noble and self-sacrificing’ ‘Yoona, this happens once in a blue moon. If you don’t take it, you’ll surely regret it.’ ‘But she has a boyfriend, what about him, eh?’ ‘Screw him, you’ve waited far too long.’

“I’m sorry. If you don’t feel the same, please let’s just forget I ever said that.”

Yoona’s heart broke at Jessica’s pained expression. Before she could think, she had already pulled Jessica and kissed her.

‘Oh my God. What am I doing? We’re in public.’ Yoona mentally berated herself.

They slowly pulled away and looked at each other. They were both surprised at the sudden turn of events.

“Yoona…” Jessica’s eyes were bristling with tears.

“I’m sorry, Jessica.” ‘I shouldn’t have done it. Now, I’m the cause of Jessica’s infidelity.’

“What?” Jessica looked at Yoona confused.

“It’s my fault. I made you cheat on Francis. I’m sorry.”

“Yoona, stop saying sorry. Francis and I aren’t together. Didn’t I tell you he was helping me with my crush.”

Yoona facepalmed herself. ‘She couldn’t believe this was happening. It was as if the heavens had convened so that she would finally tell Jessica how she felt.’

“How’d I miss that?”

“Omo, you might really fail that IQ test then.” Jessica sprinted while laughing.

“Hey!” Yoona caught Jessica and  feeling overjoyed, gave her another peck on the lips.

“I guess I’m gonna need to take Sports Science then.”

“Really? If I had known earlier that my confession would persuade you, I would have done it sooner. It would have saved the both of us more energy.”

“Wow, that’s really all you can think about.”

“Well, I obviously wanted you to be in the same college with me so we could spend more time together. You just couldn’t take the hint.”

“I’m sorry. I’m really quite dense when comes to those kind of stuff.” Yoona suddenly realized something.

“Uh-oh, you lied to Tiffany and Yuri. You know those two will beat you into a pulp when they find out.”

“Don’t worry, I know you won’t let anything happen to me.” Jessica batted her eyelashes mischievously.

“Yah, what makes you so sure about that? You lied to me too, remember?”

“It was obviously well worth it.” Yoona blushed and she suddenly recalled that she was late.

“I guess, I have a reason to miss class now.”

“Wow, the student with perfect attendance misses class of her own accord.”

“Stop teasing me Sica or I’ll go to class.”

“Eh, Yoong.”

Yoona felt so happy she felt as if her heart was exploding. Jessica both happy and very much contented couldn’t help but smile goofily at Yoona. She never thought she’d be able to convince Yoona in one day.

“Yoona, if I hadn’t told you I liked you. Would you still go with me to the same college?”

“Uhm, I’ll think about it.”

“Yah, stop saying that. You know, it’s starting to irritate me.” Jessica pouted.

Yoona just laughed at Jessica. Some things may change but even if the world undergoes climate change or the earth changes its magnetic poles, Jessica’s aegyo will still make Yoona’s knees weak.

-end