Because Boys Bring Babies

Because Boys Bring Babies

 

 

“Where is he?” I keep asking myself while pacing back in forth in front of our house. He better have a good explanation when I see him.

 

It’s been years since I met the Kwon Jiyong. Who knew I’d fall for him? Then I remembered someone did.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was 14 when I met this psychic at the school fair. My friends and I decided to check out her booth and hopefully get a glimpse of our future. I was told that I would be meeting my future husband while reading a book.

 

Yeah right! I’ve been reading books since I was 10 and who knows how many boys I’ve met since then? I asked her how will I know but she only told me I’d figure it out for myself.  So I didn’t believe her and thought that the lady swindled my money.

 

 

 

But just in case, I have never stopped reading my books. In fact, I prefer the company of books than people. My classmates find me weird always hiding behind a book, but who wouldn’t if you see people ogling you? My friend Bom says it was because they find me pretty but I have never thought myself that way. I always thought I looked plain.

 

One day, I bumped into someone as I was reading a book while walking. I apologized immediately for whoever it was and did not think of it much. 

 

But fate apparently had other plans.

 

 

 

 

The library is my hang out place. I borrow books a lot and I have even compiled a list of the books I plan to read.

 

One day while I was reading Interview with the Vampire, some boy sitting in front of me asked me a stupid question.

 

“Have you read Twilight? I heard it was good” he said.

 

So with as little annoyance as I could I answered back. “Please, Twilight’s barely a vampire novel. It’s a love story.”

 

Is he for real? Romance books are for babies, I prefer books with a lot more substance.

 

 

 

 

I was in the library returning books and to borrow more. Then I learned all the books in my list have been borrowed out. Was that even possible? I was demanding why the books I meant to borrow were all out already. The librarian pointed out that a Kwon Jiyong borrowed them all.

 

Kwon Jiyong? Now why does that name sound familiar? The librarian pointed him out, sitting on a nearby table reading a book.

 

I went to him, hoping to give him a piece of my mind. “Excuse me, Are you Kwon Jiyong?” 

 

He put down the book he was reading and I was surprised to see him face to face, and he seemed also surprise to see me.

 

I’ve seen boys before but never a boy like him. Then I realized he must be Kwon Jiyong, leader of Big Bang. I must have been staring dumbly at him that I felt embarrassed and felt my cheeks flush.

 

Losing my earlier confidence, I asked shyly “Are you Kwon Jiyong?”

 

“Yes I am. And you are?” he asked.

 

“Park Sandara” I replied automatically; wondering why he wanted to know my name.

 

“Is there a problem Sandara?” he asked again.

 

“Kind of. You see, I need to read the books you just borrowed” I explained. How come I am the one being questioned? 

 

“But I haven’t finished them yet. You just have to wait your turn” he said.

 

What! This isn’t possible! I need my books. “But there are a lot of them. Maybe you could let me lend a few then I’ll return them to you”

 

“I don’t think I could do that. It’s against library rules.” he said.

 

Well, he got me there and I am not one to break rules especially the library’s.

 

“Tell you what. Let’s make a deal. I’ll return the books so you could borrow them but you’ll agree to go on a week without a book.”

 

What? Why would he ask that? Is it worth it? But then I really want my books. “That’s a strange request but I think I could do that, however difficult it could be.”

 

“Really? You haven’t even let me finish yet. You’d go a week without a book with me.” he finished, then flashing me a smile that could get away with murder.

 

That said, I felt my eyes pop and my cheeks flush and I lose coherence. “With you? I don’t think… I mean… I…  ”

 

“You already said yes. We start tomorrow. I’ll pick you up at your home and we’ll go to school together.” He said, leaving no room for doubt.

 

“Why would you want to this? What will you gain from depriving me of books?” I asked, still not getting why he’d do something like this.

 

“Seriously? I think the books were doing you an injustice. Without them, I have the pleasure of looking at you.” he said and left me reeling at his words.

 

 

 

 

The next day he picked me up and we rode the bus together. I couldn’t imagine Kwon Jiyong riding a bus. Wasn’t he supposed to hate crowds?

 

I was even more surprised when he acted all protective of me, shielding me from other guys that he put his arms around my shoulders and made me lean into his chest.

 

“I’m sorry. I don’t want the other guys staring at you” he said. I felt my heartbeat quicken at the thought of him being possessive of me. I felt quite pleased instead of annoyed and I felt myself relax.

 

People started to talk as soon as we reached school together. Everyone assumed we were together. His fangirls seemed rabidly jealous of me and I got questioned so many times in class and on my way to the cafeteria for lunch.

 

At lunch, Jiyong invited me to eat at their table. His friends were all there. I could not help but feel out of place.

 

“Jiyong, are you sure it’s okay with your friends that I sit here?”

 

“Don’t mind them especially the rat staring at you. And don’t be so formal. Call me Ji” he said and reached for my hand.

 

OMG! He sure knows how to make a girl blush.

 

 

 

 

On our way home, he carried my bag and entwined my fingers with his.

 

Not that I didn’t like holding his hand but I don’t want others to think there was something going on between us. “Ji, this is embarrassing. People might misinterpret what you’re doing. The other girls are all asking me if I’m your girlfriend and I’m getting tired of telling them I’m not.”

 

“So tell them, you are” he said.

 

Did I hear him right? “What?! Are you serious? You’ve only met me for a day and you’re acting all possessive and sweet.”

 

“I’ve already been around you, only I don’t think you knew. I had to find a way to get you away from your books just so you’ll notice me.” he admitted.

 

He did that for me? Who in their right mind would do that? Does that mean...? Seriously?  

 

“I’m sorry for scheming but I don’t regret it. Besides I only have a week with you to myself without books, so I’m making the most of it.” he said.

 

“What do you mean? Isn’t our agreement over after a week?” I asked. Does he want more?

 

“We’ve only just started. You agreed to a week without books with me so it doesn’t cover the period with books that I could I have with you” he said, pointing out the loophole in our agreement.

 

“Besides, don’t you think I’m better than the books?”

 

Oh! Now I get it. “I think you’re conceited that’s what” I said, smiling with my realization.

 

“Aah! Admit it, you’re starting to like me” he teased.

 

“You’re starting to bug me” I said.

 

“In one week, you’ll be singing a different tune. You might even love me” he said, surely.

 

Oh I don’t doubt that. “What makes you think that?” I asked.

 

He leaned into me, and I found myself staring into a pool of liquid chocolate.

 

“Because if you didn’t like me, you would’ve already pulled your hand away but you didn’t.” he said as he neared my face closer to me “And if you didn’t like me…”

 

“What?” I asked almost breathless. Was he going to...? I didn’t finish my thought before feeling his lips on mine.

 

In books, they always mention how the first kiss should feel. I couldn’t picture it before and I didn’t read much love stories or romance books. But now that I got my first kiss, it seems that what I’ve read from books is very much lacking.

 

As our lips parted, he smiled. “And if you didn’t like me, you wouldn’t have kissed me back.”

 

I smiled back, “I’d still say you’re conceited and you bug me. I can’t wait til the week is over and I’m back with my books.”

 

“Really? After me, you’d still want your books!?” he asked quite hurt.

 

Yep, but I was thinking of a different book. “Of course, but only so I could read more romance”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“KWON JIYONG!!!” I was shouting all the way to the hospital.

 

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” Ji kept on apologizing to me.

 

“This is all your fault!!!” I blame him entirely. Maybe not entirely but It’s mostly his fault.

 

“I know. I’m sorry for being late but I was held up by a meeting.” he explained.

 

“Not that, THIS!” I pointed out to my hugely pregnant belly.

 

“But babe, we already talked about this. It’s not my fault that you look all lovely and y. I’m just a man and I’m very weak when it comes to you. And if I remember, you didn’t protest that much” he said, wiggling his eyebrows.

 

“But did you have to put in two!?!” I hollered. Yes, Ji and I are having twins. Go figure. The first time I get pregnant, we get 2 immediately. 

 

“Just proves that I am better than most men.” He replied smugly.

 

“Aisht! You are hopelessly conceited. I still stand by what I said before, books are better than boys.” I huffed.

 

The fortune-teller didn’t tell me that this would happen. She only told me that I would meet the guy for me while reading a book and I would know when I do. I had never any doubts with Ji. I’d never tell him but he is better than all the books combined.

 

“Why would you say that?” he asked.

 

As I answered, another contraction came. “Because boys bring babies!!!”

 

 

 

 

 


Thank you for reading this light daragon oneshot!

I've always wanted to write a sequel for Books Before Boys with Dara's POV.  And it was just in time for Dara's birthday