unchimed wedding bells

the milky days of YAY! {우유 caboodles}

STORYONE

"On the count of three! One.. two.." everyone in the church still did not budge from their seats. Their heads were turned, gazes fixed on the young man in the rich caramel leather jacket across the room but they were too speechless to do anything. The mischievous smirk on Wooyoung's face did not fade. His presence - interference for the past five minutes definitely left everyone speechless. Who was this uninvited guest?

Five minutes before 

Cold sweat broke on Lee Jieun's forehead. She was slightly thankful that the three-layered veil her mother picked (which she initially refused to wear and insisted on not wearing) concealed her expressions well. Jieun bit her lip, and raised her head a little, peeking through the white material. Mrs. Lee squeezed her daughter's hand tightly. "Don't shake so much," she assured. "Everything will be just fine." Jieun rolled her eyes from behind the veil. She wasn't nervous! But the fact that this sudden.. 'arranged marriage' betrothal nonsense left her furious. How dare her parents make plans without her! Jieun's feet tap-tapped in front of the door as the wedding march started playing. She gracefully made her way towards the left side of the altar, led by Mr. Lee. Jieun stood next to Yoseob thinking, hoping, praying for a miracle. Like the chandelier floating above the ceiling would drop or something. A commotion.. anything! Jieun did not let go of her best friend, also maid of honor, Jiyeon's hands. Jiyeon too knew that this whole 'sudden marriage' thing wasn't Jieun's choice, but she would loyally stand by her best friend's side, no matter what. The officiant cleared his throat. "May I begin?" Jieun saw Yoseob nod and flash a quick smile at her. She felt a certain dizziness as she heard him repeat the wedding vows. A tear rolled down her rosy red cheeks. She never expected to get married against her will, or this young for all that matters. "If anyone here has a just cause to object to his marriage speak no, or forever hold your peace." A silent minute passed. "Good the--" a loud burst of the church door opening startled Jieun and everyone else in the room. A wave of murmurs escaped the guests' mouths. Who was this uninvited guest? they thought curiously."I object this marriage." his voiced echoed. The murmurs turned into louder conversations. Everyone was puzzled. "Ignore him!" Mr. Lee bellowed. "Proceed with this wedding! You! Get out before I call security!" Jieun's chest heaved up and down. She did not know who this - she took the time to examine him from afar - handsome mysterio was, but he seemed like a miracle. He WAS a miracle, she thought. "I'll only count until three, Lee Jieun." he spoke again calmly. "It's now, or never." Jiyeon was already squealing under her breath in delight "This is so movie-like!" and nudging Jieun as if to agree on the idea of Jieun fleeing away from her wedding with this stranger. Jieun lifted her wedding veil and gave Jiyeon's hands one last squeeze. She loosened the diamond ring from her trembling fingers and put it in Jiyeon's fist. "This is for you." she whispered. 

"Three." Wooyoung turned around to leave when he saw Jieun still rooted to her spot. She smiled apologetically to Mrs. Lee, who looked as if she was about to faint. "I'm sorry, mother." she turned around, tugging the delicate tulle of her dress and fled, ignoring everything around her. At the time, she could not hear anything but the voice of her heart telling her that what she was about to do might not be something to regret in the future.

"Wait up!" she yelled as she glanced behind. Her father was already raging threatening shouts behind her. "Lee Jieun! Get here RIGHT NOW! You are getting married today and THAT IS FINAL!" he panted before halting to a stop, shaking his head when Jieun took no notice of his words. Wooyoung grabbed Jieun's hands and made a run towards their escape vehicle.

Jieun's could not hide her surprised expression when she saw his yellow Vespa as she unstrapped her ivory heels. Wooyoung grinned at her expression, tossing her a helmet before quickly helping her onto his ride. "Just get on, m'lady. Trust me, you're going to thank me for this." Jieun obediently followed. "Look, I don't know who you are.." she hissed. "but my fate is pretty much in your hands so---"

"Lee Jieun!" they heard her father's voice boom again.

"Quick! Quick quick!" Jieun hustled before hugging Wooyoung's waist from behind, glancing back as he steered their way far from the church's grounds. She hugged tighter, allowing the warmth of his back and the whiff of his cologne comfort her. For the first time in her 23 years of living, she finally got to make her own choice.. and it felt good. 

______________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you see the look on your dad's face?" Wooyoung clapped his hands in joy as they casually walked through the stalls in Dongdaemun. People kept on staring at the how odd the couple looked. The girl, who was in an ivory French chantilly lace dress that looked like one from high-end bridal magazines, now-undone hairstyle and her makeup smeared, seemed as if she made a runaway from her wedding to be with the man she loves.. just like those in romantic dramas or movies (close enough). But that would be silly, anyway. Those things just stay onscreen, they thought. Jieun clung to Wooyoung's arm tighter, ignoring the stare-downs and whispers. She felt comfortable with him although she only discovered his existence like only a few hours ago. And he didn't seem to mind, thankfully. 

"He was crazy pissed by the looks of it. How am I supposed to return home alive, now?" 

"Um, we better get you something comfortable and warm to change into first. It's freezing out here." he said after putting his coat around her. Jieun gulped and looked at him.

"I.. have no money." she wouldn't want to add a heavier burden to her mysterious savior. Wooyoung gave her body the once-over, making Jieun nervous as she saw his eyes lurk towards her slightly exposed chest. She covered it with her hands in reflex. His lips curved upwards in amusement. Cute. "Of course you don't. Just pick anything. Hurry if you don't want to freeze your arms off." he said coolly. 

Jieun raised her eyebrow. For someone who just met her for the first time, he was too kind. And persistent. "O.. okay." After changing into more appropriate attire, she wrapped her arms around his again. Jieun sneezed when a snowflake hit her nose. "Oh! It's snowing?" 

"I think you'll have to stay at my apartment for the night." 

______________________________________________________________________________________

"So who are you, anyway?" Jieun asked through her generous bite of soondae. "Crashing my wedding.. buying me clothes.. taking me to your.." she scanned around and swallowed, "apartment." she took another bite of the soondae, this time with ddukbokki after stabbing it with a bamboo stick, making it a spicy-rice-cake-soondae kebab stick and stared at him sharply. 

"Why did you follow me, then? Aren't you afraid? I might be a serial for all you know." Jieun gasped a little, then squinted her eyes into slits. 

"I don't know either.. you don't seem like the type..." 

"How would you know?" 

"Well first of all, you're handsome." at this, both of them broke into laughter, reducing the amount of awkward tension that was lingering in the air. "And second.. there's this familar feel about you. Oh yeah! Plus I was freaking desperate for something to happen.. like, a distraction.. and you came. You're my miracle, I guess? Who actually are you? People don't really randomly barge into weddings you know." Jieun pressed the bamboo stick on her lips, pursing into an 'O'. "They just don't. Or am I dreaming..." Wooyoung threw her a look and ttakbam-ed on her forehead.

"That hurt!" She rubbed the spot where he hit it. "So where am I sleeping tonight? Not in your living room, possibly? It's freezing out here!" Wooyoung shrugged. "Well, I don't mind having extra company in my room.." 

"What?!"

"You're so quick to react. I have an extra room next to the master's."

"Good then. I'll be sleeping there." Jieun tugged the oversized sleeves of her borrowed pajamas and hugged herself. It was too cold.

"Oh and you have yet to explain how you came to barge into my wedding." 

"Tomorrow." Wooyoung checked the wall clock. 2AM. "It's very late now, and I think our runaway bride needs her beauty sleep, no?" Jieun yawned. True, she was physically and and mentally exhausted from today's series of events.

"Goodnight, mystery guy." she called from the room she was sleeping in. "I'll be locking the door!" 

"Alright, m'lady. Whatever you say. Goodnight." he said softly and kissed her forehead. Jieun touched the spot where his lips met her milky forehead. He kissed my forehead. The. y-mysterious-handsome-tall-stranger. Kissed. My. Forehead.

"Go... goodnight." she squeaked.  It feels like a perfect night to fall in love with strangers. 

______________________________________________________________________________________

"Do you really not recognize who I am, Lee Jieun?" Wooyoung sighed in dissapointment. She shook her head. "How did you know my name! Are you some stalker or something?" 

"In high school..." he started.

"So you followed me since I was in high school?!" Jieun's fists made a loud sound on the glass table across the couch they were sitting on. Wooyoung laughed again and shook his head. Still the same silly Jieun. 

"Babo-yah." he said, not wiping the smile off his face. "Remember that boy in junior high you used to secretly put snacks and cute notes into his locker? The one whom you thought never knew that you were madly crushing on him? The one you used to wait for at the corridor just to see him walk to class?"

Jieun blushed. How did he know? "I don't remember doing those things or liking anyone in high school.. pfft. That was years ago."

"I know you do, Jiji." Jiji.. Jiji.. "oh and just so you know, that boy liked you too." he said quietly. "He always did. In fact.. he still does.. and he regretted not confessing to you, until one day one of his friends told him that you were getting married. At the time, he knew he was done for." 

Nobody has called her Jiji in the longest time. "Well.. that's too bad. But I'm not getting married now, am I?" Jieun giggled. "Go on!" she pleaded. "What happened to him? Wait, were we classmates in high school?" she guessed. Wooyoung shook his head at how 'poor' her memory is. He took out a flimsy silver charm bracelet from his pocket. Jieun's eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. 

"You dropped this when you were taping that really long letter on my locker on the last day of school."

______________________________________________________________________________________

"Jang Wooyoung!" she screamed, hitting his chest. She did not know whether to feel happy or just mad that her first love was in front of her. "You crazy person!" she cried. Wooyoung grabbed Jieun by the wrists. Of course she remembers.

"Where were you all this time?" she asked in ringing tones. "Omo. This is.." she stood up and walked back and forth in his living room. "This is crazy! You're crazy!" she breathed, her face a dark shade of boisenberry. "Of all the people in this world... why did the so-called knight in shining armor turn out to be you?!" 

"What did I do wrong??" he protested, and turned Jieun to face him. She looked as if she was about to cry.  Wooyoung was puzzled. "I saved you from committing a lifetime mistake. Aren't you happy?" 

"Happy? Happy?" she gurgled. Jieun looked at him again and buried her face into his chest, letting herself break into sobs. Wooyoung her hair to comfort her, one arm around her back. She had the rights to get mad at him, to be frank.

"I..." she began after wetting his shirt with her warm tears. "I... really missed you." she said tearfully. Wooyoung smiled bitterly and pulled her into a tighter embrace. "I know. I really missed you too.. and I'm sorry. For not telling you how I really felt in the first place."

"You should be!" her muffled voice said angrily. "What took you so long.."

"Ssssssh." he whispered. "You're with me now, aren't you?" Jieun gulped. She couldn't really digest the fact that her and Jang Wooyoung, her supposedly unrequited love Jang Wooyoung, she corrected, would be in this position. And he liked her.. what? Many years have passed, and he finally confesses? Jieun was overwhelmed. 

After settling back onto Wooyoung's couch, with her head resting on Wooyoung's lap, Jieun finally opened to speak. "How did you know I was getting married, eh?" 

"Well, I do have my sources." he jerked his eyebrows. Jieun thought harder. Could it be.. "Jiyeonnie?" 

"Very good cousin, Jiyeonnie." Jieun couldn't believe her ears and shot up from her position immediately. "So the 'American cousin' she kept being in contact with.. was you?" Wooyoung nodded. "Surprised?"

Jieun put her hand to cover that was widely open in shock. "Daebak. All under my nose, too.. oh. And did I mention you grew up to be captivatingly charming?"  

______________________________________________________________________________________

"Don't you look beautiful tonight." 

Jieun blushed and slapped his thigh. "Aigoo-ya.." Wooyoung snapped his fingers, and faint piano music played in the background. He stood up and beckoned Jieun to dance with him.

"Cheesy. Corny.. jerk. When did you start deciding on liking me, huh?" Jieun fixed her sweatpants. "Why am I dancing in sweatpants.. in your bedroom." she grumbled. Wooyoung pulled her closer, waltzing to the music. She heard his laughter ring in her ears. "I liked you since the first time I saw you tying your shoelaces by our school playground."

"You did? Honestly?" 

"Of course!" he twirled her. 

"I guess our feelings were mutual at the time, huh.." she said jokingly. "Because that was the first time I saw you too." their eyes locked into each other's.

"It was, wasn't it? Do you believe in fate, Jiji?" 

"I sometimes doubt it."

"Right now?" 

"I do..." only when I'm with you.

"Fated to be together, aren't we?" Wooyoung grinned. 

"Ey...." 

"Admit it, Jiji. You loved me. You love me." before Jieun could open to utter another word, Wooyoung swooped her into a dip, balancing her with his toned arm. Their eyes met each other's again and Wooyoung pulled her into a sweet, tender kiss. 

"I... I love you, Jang Wooyoung."

"Oh and pardon my harsh reaction, but I'm really glad I crashed into your wedding the other day." he pinched her nose affectionately. Jieun smiled at his words and put her arms around his neck. 

Because I do not want to love if it's not you, Lee Jieun.