Decisions

Disposition Yet Foreordain

 

 

~~;;~~

 

A boy was happily holding his messenger bag whilst whistling an unknown song that only he knew. His

name was Kim Jongwoon and he dreamt of becoming a composer one day. Why? He himself didn’t

know the reason but songs flew out of him like how water kept washing shells ashore.

 

It was a windy afternoon—a perfect day to go shopping. Usually, he did it with either Heechul or Youngwoon but not that day. He wanted, no, scratch that, he needed to do the shopping alone because that was what he was assigned to do. It was a special gift from them to their parents and they wanted it to be a surprise. They all had different roles to accomplish and his was to buy the most special and sacred one. For that, he also felt special because he was assigned to do the most important and sacred part of all.

 

He knew he couldn’t do much with the preparation. After all, he was still 17 years old and still studying while his brothers were already earning money. He didn’t mind though. Although he too was working, the money he earned was nothing compared to that of what his siblings earned.

 

He walked towards a jewelry store and the woman who was behind the counter eyed him incredulously because of the way he was dressed—an oversized t-shirt which was owned previously by his older brother Youngwoon, worn out jeans with a hole on his right knee and a pair of dirty sneakers.

 

He didn’t mind the way the lady looked at him though. He was excited to buy what he needed and go back home to his brothers immediately to let them see what he bought. The money he brought with him was more than enough that he could even buy himself an ice cream. He decided against it though. He needed to focus.

 

So, he went towards the sales lady and tried to inquire but she kept ignoring him. Another customer came in and the man was immediately attended to. He huffed and tried to complain but was pulled out of the shop by a big burly man which made him tear up.

 

He just wanted to accomplish his assignment. He didn’t want to go home without it because that would mean he was useless and bothersome. He wanted to be a part of the preparation so much that he even saved up and worked twice as hard. But now, it seemed it was futile. The big burly man was standing guard in front of the shop and looked straight at him as if he was a pest.

 

There was an option of looking for another jewelry shop but it was only sold there and nowhere else. He needed to buy it there and he needed it badly. Tears were already forming in his eyes as he looked at the shop. He even tried to talk to the guard but the saleslady told him not to let him enter so his efforts remained futile.

 

Just when he felt that all hope was gone, the man from earlier came out and walked towards him, asking why he was inside the shop earlier. When he told him of his predicament, the man smiled at him before introducing himself as Cho Kyuhyun. The man offered help to the boy which the latter gladly accepted with a beaming smile.

 

Together, they headed towards the shop. When the guard tried to stop them, Kyuhyun told him off and said that Jongwoon was with him. Once inside, he scolded the saleslady and told the manager, who magically popped out of nowhere, what the saleslady did. She was immediately fired which made

Jongwoon feel a bit guilty. Just a bit though because she was still a b*tch towards him not too long ago.

 

Kyuhyun insisted that he’ll pay but Jongwoon was persistent. He wanted to buy it with both his hard- earned money and some from his brothers. Defeated, the older male suggested that he’ll give the younger male a ride but again, the latter refused. He said that it was enough that Kyuhyun helped him back at the store. In the end, they exchanged numbers and promised to see each other again.

 

While on the bus on his way home with earphones plugged, Jongwoon thought about his new friend.

It was rare for him to have a new friend since he was always busy with either part-time job or school.

Besides, having an older friend meant he was more mature and he knew more about the world than him. He sighed as he closed his eyes for a short nap.

 

And that was when it happened.

 

An accident.

 

The bus driver lost control of the wheel and the break stopped working whilst the bus was driving down a slope. Jongwoon woke up when he heard screaming. Instead of panicking like other passengers were, he silently prayed.

 

If I don’t survive this accident, please send my family a white dove as a sign.

If I don’t survive, please look after my family and give my parents the gift I bought. Let them live happily because they deserve it. They are nice people and I love them so much.

 

Lord, if you are there and listening to my prayers, please heed my final wishes. I have no regrets for I have lived happily together with my family and just now, I met a new friend. Look after him too.

 

The driver, in an attempt to minimize the casualties, spun the wheel to the right as much as he could, making the said vehicle topple over to Jongwoon’s side. Due to its speed, it kept rolling like a log which resulted to some passengers being thrown out through the windows. He was one of them.

 

Jongwoon landed on a car with a loud thud. His upper body smashed the car’s hood burning him a bit.

He couldn’t scream though. He was in too much pain and too weak to do so. The car suddenly stopped throwing him towards the concrete.

 

His head was bleeding profusely and so was the rest of his body. He couldn’t feel his legs so he assumed the fall affected his spine. He opened his eyes and looked up to the sky where the moon was shining down on him.

 

A tear escaped his eye as images of his life flashed through him. And that’s when he knew. It was the end. He wasn’t going to make it. Even if he did, he would be handicapped and living would only be painful.

 

He heard his name being called. He opened his eyes only to realize that he had closed it. He looked at the man’s face—Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun was calling him with tears streaming down his face. He wanted to reach out and wipe it away but he couldn’t even move any part of his body, let alone raise his hand.

 

He tried to speak but it sounded more like a groan. Kyuhyun heard him saying something so leaned down—his ear close to the kid’s mouth.

 

“Rings...”

 

One word. But it held a whole lot of meaning to both of them. It was the reason why he was in the jewelry shop in the first place. It was the one Kyuhyun helped in picking. It held a lot of importance to Jongwoon because he bought it as a special mission from his brothers.

 

Because finally, he felt important.

 

Ambulance came and medics immediately surrounded Jongwoon. Kyuhyun returned to his car and immediately followed the ambulance towards the hospital, not minding what his car looked like. His thoughts were filled with worry and fear for the boy’s life.

 

Upon reaching the hospital, he headed straight towards the operating room and waited there. He prayed for the kid’s life. He heard several footsteps and some family members came towards him. The woman cried and called for Jongwoon’s name over and over again so Kyuhyun assumed that it was his mother. There were three men with her: the man with graying hair who he assumed to be the kid’s father, a man who’s a bit skinny with long hair and a man who looked a bit like a bouncer who he assumed to be his brothers.

 

As Kyuhyun stood up, a doctor came out of the operating room looking for Jongwoon’s family. It was all a blur for Kyuhyun. It felt like the cries were somewhere distant and that everything was just a dream but he knew that it wasn’t.

 

Every member of Jongwoon’s family was crying. Kyuhyun was crying and he wondered why. He only met the kid a few hours ago while they were buying rings.

 

Rings…

 

He took the small velvet box from his suit pocket and stared at it for a few seconds before handing it to the kid’s parents. “He really wanted you to be married… I’m sorry for your loss…”

 

With those said, the woman cried even more as she hugged him. He felt guilty for being there and for being the last person Jongwoon saw instead of his family.

 

As he walked back towards his car, a white dove was on it looking at him before flying away and he knew; the kid was in a happier place which made him smile. He watched the bird fly away into the rising sun with tears on his face.

 

”It was an honor meeting you, kid.”

 

 

~~;;~~

 

 

Do not kill me please! :3 I has written this not too long ago. Before all the KyuSung feels. You know, KRY concert then SMTownSG. The likes. Anyways, sory about the depressing, utterly confusing drabble that I thought about while I was on myway home. I was riding in a bus then as well. I have no idea why but everytime depressing thoughts like this pop in my mind, I cry.

Thank you for reading and I hoped you liked it. :)