When the first snow falls, when your heart has stopped

When the first snow falls, when your heart has stopped

 

When the first snow falls, when your heart has stopped
 
(For *~Cookies-N-Cream~* Writing Contest @ http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/263219/cookies-n-cream-writing-contest-open-october-halloween-inspired-contest-fxband-shinee-snsd-superjunior-writingcontest-queenlatifeh) 
 
The one red leaf, the last of its clan,
That dances as often as dance it can,
Hanging so light, and hanging so high,
On the topmost twig that looks up at the sky.
~Samuel Taylor Coleridge 
 
Autumn. The season of harvest, the season of melancholy, the season of the antecedent chills. Some people liked to think of it as a season of peace, harmony and joy, while others believed that it's one filled with sadness hovering in the air.
 
Krystal laid her head on Minho's shoulder while he pulled her into a tighter embrace and gazed at the beautiful scenary. Piled upon the dew covered grass the crusty brown leaves whirled around in a circle like a small tornado sweeping the beautiful park, the mystifying colours of the sun shone onto the pile of leaves glistening brightly. They allowed the silence to hang in the air, and it was moments after when Krystal first broke it. 
 
"It's autumn. Autumn is beautiful, but winter is much more beautiful than that. It has this shockingly dazzling aura, though it never lasts long."
 
Minho didn't speak, but tightened his grip around Krystal's waist. A pang of pain shot through his heart, causing him to wince, but he hid it well from Krystal. 
 
"Oppa, do remember last year's winter? We spent the whole winter at the villa that your family owned and it was amazing," recalled Krystal, a faint smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "And we tried to catch the first snowflakes that were falling towards earth. Do you remember? We were sweating in winter! Oh my gosh. Those days. I really love winter. And the snowflakes too." 
 
Minho laughed gently at the fond memory. A the villa, the duo stumbled upon an old encyclopaedia which claimed that a couple, if managed to catch the first snowflakes falling towards earth, would be granted eternal love. Nonsensical as it may seem, Minho and Krystal decided to try out the old magic. Running all over the place, they attempted to catch the snowflakes with their bare hands and finally lay on the floor in a heap, panting heavily. 
 
"Oppa, look at the snowflakes," Krystal said, catching one in her hand. The snowflake melted instantly, leaving a pool of water. "They can never last. No matter how beautiful they are, they can never last. Don't they resemble our lives? No matter how exciting or fruitful our lives are, they can't be eternal. We will all die someday." 
 
Minho didn't speak momentarily. After that, he turned his head over and planted a light kiss on Krystal's forehead. 
 
"Our lives may not be eternal. But our love will certainly be." He got up and pulled Krystal to her feet. Grabbing her hand, Minho led her back in the villa for steaming cups of hot cocoa.
 
A trembling Krystal in his arms shook Minho out of his memories. Then he felt something warm and wet on his hand. She was... Crying? 
 
"I guess I can never see it again. When the first snow falls, please bask in it for me."  Krystal mumbled in broken whispers as torrents of tears flowed fast and free down her cheeks. 
 
Early in spring, Krystal had been diagnosed with Leukemia, the world's second killer. It came as a great catastrophe for her family, especially Krystal herself. She had so many dreams left unfulfilled, so many things left undone, so many words left unsaid. Yet, the doctor had announced, without even a tinge of emotion, that she would not live to see the the first flake of snow. 
 
Minho was also devastated when he heard the news. He had only been together with Krystal for a single year and it was already ending. They still had so many things to do! Now, all the plans had to be cancelled. Not postponed, but cancelled, as there would be no more opportunities to complete them. However, Minho knew he had to stay strong, not only for himself, but for Krystal. Since she had limited time left, why not make the best out of it? He had to be there for her, telling her not to give up till the last second. The world was too beautiful for her to leave just like that. 
 
Wiping away his tears, Minho made a decision. 
 
Ever since then, Minho and Krystal were inseparable. Besides going to school together, they took the weekends to do the things that they enjoyed, for instance, watching movie after movie while sharing buckets of popcorn, playing in the amusement park till they dropped, or simply, just cuddling on the sofa and listening to each other's palpating heart. As Krystal's body condition deteoriated, Minho knew that their days together were numbered and he tried to make each day better for her. He would secretly sneak little presents in her jacket and amaze her with his own homemade cuisines frequently. Despite the eminent separation, both of them left those thought aside and loved each day as their last day together, trying to make bliss in a catastrophe. 
 
"Oppa... Autumn is here, winter is drawing near. I'm... I'm just..." Krystal's voice trailed off. She was still lying in Minho's arms and contemplating her future in melancholy. Wouldn't Minho be heartbroken when she dies? However, she was at Fate's mercy. Besides staying strong and optimistic, there was pretty much nothing else that she could do. 
 
Minho closed his eyes and sighed. Then, he held Krystal up with both hands and stared straight into her eyes. 
 
"I know I can't promise you much, but here's one thing that I can promise with my heart and soul. Krystal Jung, listen to this. When the first snow falls, when your heart has stopped, I will still be loving you for eternity. Get it? No matter what happens, remember that there will be a guy called Choi Minho who will love you for eternity. Cross my heart." 
 
Krystal's tears erupted as she gently touched Minho's face, probably for one of the last times in her life. Tears were also escaping from his eyes as he held her hand tightly. Then, they leaned in for their first lip-to-lip kiss, tears mixing together. 
 
"See, Krystal, the myth on the encyclopaedia that we saw was right. We have been granted eternal love. You shall be loved by me for eternity, even when the first snow falls, even when your heart has stopped," said Minho in his heart as he held Krystal's petite body in his embrace. 
 
When the first snow falls, when your heart has stopped. When I will still be loving you, till end sun won't shine, till the end of time.