Chapter 1 : Past

Nightfall Academy

"Come on Jae!" Mom called out to me as she stood by the door. "Coming!" I yelled, racing down the stairs and intertwining my hand with hers. She looked down at me and smiled. She then opened the door and walked me out of the house.

"Mommy, where are we going?" I asked, and climbing into the car seat when mom let go of my hand to opened the car door.

"We are going to a family reunion, there you'll see your uncles, aunts, cousins, grandpa, grandma..." She replied, getting into the passenger seat. "That's a lot of people!" I said excitedly.

"Yep, lots and lots of people," Dad said, coming out of nowhere. "Make sure you be good, okay?" He said, buckling my seat beat. I smiled at him, "I promise." He warmly smiled back, kissing my forehead and closing the door. He then went into the driver's seat, and started the car.

"It's going to be a long ride, sweetie" he said as he started to drive.

In the window, I could see our house getting smaller and smaller. I started to doze off as time passed, eventually falling into a deep sleep.

---

I woke up to mom gently shaking me."Jae, wake up. We're here." She said in a hushed tone. I look up at her through my half-lidded eyes and nodded, unbuckling my seat beat. I hear her laugh at me as I wobble my way out of the seat. She grabbed my hand and walked me into an unfamiliar building.

My eyes went wide when I saw who was there. "Oppas!" I yelled running to them. "Jae!" A tall group of boys looked towards me and shouted back, smiling. I stopped in front of them, waving to them happily. I see Siwon opening his arms for a hug, which caused me to giggle and give him a hug. "Did you miss us, Jae?" He asked. I nodded my head, "Yeah!" I said, still feeling a bit bitter that they moved to a different city and left me. "Well, we miss you too Jae. We're sad that your brother couldn't come." Eunhyuk said. "It's okay because I have you guys," I smiled. They all beamed at my words.

I played with them and greeted other people for while. I also caught up with what happened to my other family members. Yujeong's doll got stolen, Auntie Lim got a doggy, Uncle Han is getting married...

BOOM!

I snapped back to reality, looking at the strange men who had just entered the building. Dad runs in front of me, his fists tightening. "Daddy, who are those people?" I whispered to him, scared. "Bad people, Jae." He says, his voice so low I can barely hear it. 

"Got something to hide?" A man mocked as he saw how my dad was trying to hiding me. "Keep her out of this." My dad retorted. The man scoffed, "You know what you did. All of you!" He looked around the room, his eyes filled with rage and pain. "And you expect me to just let her off like that? I don't think so." He lunged at the man who was protecting me.

"Daddy!" I yell out, tears pricking out of my eyes. I watched as my dad and the enraged man throw punches at each other. "That all happened years ago! Why must you be stuck in the past?" Dad tried to reason with him, but the man would not hear it. He fell into a fit of crazed laugher, a line of purple rushed his eyes. He then pulled out a gun, it gleamed in the light. A rose was imprinted on the side of it, it was strangely hypnotic. I look around to see if anyone was going to do anything, but all I saw were looks of horror.

BANG!

It was after that gun shot when all hell broke loose. Everything changed before my eyes. The tall group of guys that welcomed me warmly- there was no sign of them. Now was a group of boys, cold and glaring, besides my dad, fighting the man's goons. All their eyes glowed purple as they showed no mercy to their opponents.

It scared me seeing them like this, acting like this. "Jae... hide..." I hear someone call out to me in my thoughts. I run, my breath heavy, to the farthest table. I scurry under it, hoping that the table cover will be enough to hide me. I peek out, immediately regretting it. Mom was scuffling a man with a knife in his hand. She tries to break free from his grasp, but he was too strong. I cry, wanting to help her, but her eyes. They stay transfixed on me as she struggles. "Don't Jae... stay right where you are... Mommy will be fine..." Her voice calls out to me in my mind. The man wraps his hands around as he starts to plunge the knife through her. But he stops, pain flashes on his face. He falls to mom's feet, reveling dad with a bloody dagger in his hand.

I hide, the look on dad's face scared me. I didn't see any warmth in them, just bitter coldness. The purple... why did they glow- a shot went off. I hear my mom shriek, "Minho!... How dare you-" Then another shot went off. I hear something thud to the floor. "The deed's done. See you in hell, Minho." Someone says before they run off. The room is silent, my weeps being the only thing I can hear. 

I look from under the table cover cautiously, my eyes land on my motionless parents on the ground. I felt my breath hitch as I run over to them. "Dad... Mom..." I shake them roughly, tears falling on their faces. My mom's eyes opened sightly, "Jae..." I took my hands away, scared of the mysterious purple that seemed to be in everyone's eyes. "It's okay Jae, don't be scared... Mommy's here, Jae. Mommy will protect you." She says weakly. "Mommy, don't leave me. I'm scared." I cry, grabbing her hand. "I won't ever leave you Jae... I promise...here." She pulls at her necklace before handing it to me. "I'll... always be with you..." The purple leaves her eyes as they close. Her breath stops, "Mom! Mom!" No reply. I hold her hand tightly as tears poured from my eyes.

I feel someone put their hand on my shoulder. I turn to see Uncle Chun and Aunt Ann. Aunt Ann's hand is held out to me, "Let go now Jae." Her voice hushed. I turn to look at my parents, a rush of memories flood my mind. All the good, all the bad, I will miss you... Mom...Dad... I look back to Aunt Ann, nodding slowly taking her hand. Suddenly, there's an aching pain in my neck. Everything turns black.