~One~

White Lantern

The creaking of the small stable’s door announced the stableman’s arrival, bearer of the promise of delicious food, to the horses inside, thereby causing the effervescence of some of them. A small smile covered the lips of the young man, who began almost immediately his painful task, which he ought to redo every single day. Even so, it didn’t bother him at all, the young beauty having always adore spending his days to work for the family’s stable. Nevertheless, something else, something more important, had replaced his passion for equitation, and even if he continued to look after the horses, it was only to survive and to support his now very small family’s needs.

 

As he delicately brushed one of the horses' mane, the ebony haired man allowed his thoughts to wander away, wander to a time when life was easier. After all these years, the young man had never been able to forget his old dream of becoming an equitation’s champion. 

 

Erstwhile, he participated in national competitions, always winning at least third place and more often than not, bringing back home medals, trophies and awards which gave him hope that one day, he might be able to travel around the world to compete against famous riders in hope that one day, he would have enough money to open and manage his very own equitation’s school. However, the boy had been given no choice but to push his dream aside when his son was born, the little child demanding too much attention and love for his father's to both take care of him and achieve his dream. Torn between two options, both important to him, and after discussing the matter with his brother, the young man had chosen to keep the baby, deciding that his love for his only son was way stronger than his love for equitation. And no matter how much he hated having to abandon his dream, he knew abandoning his son was an act he could never do.

 

Years had passed since his son’s birth and nothing had changed since then. Every day resembled the previous, creating a routine the dark haired man had soon come to accept. From Monday to Friday, he would take care of his and other people’s horses, feeding, cleaning and taking them out, before going back inside his rather small house to pass some time with his little boy. On week-ends, the young man had to give riding classes to children, an idea he had come up with in order to make more money.

 

The young man would work at least 10 hours a day and yet, he was submerged by huge debts he couldn’t repay. Money was becoming harder and harder to find, both him and his brother having difficulties to make ends meet. The two brothers were impressed to still earn enough to afford food for the three of them, and truthfully, they were glad that the younger’s son wasn’t hard to handle.

 

So, even though he knew it wouldn’t pay a lot, the ebony haired man still worked a lot to try to keep his family alive. As he was cleaning one of the stalls, he realized that it would soon be time to pay the month’s bills and that thought alone was enough to make his bright smile fade away. He violently stabbed his fork into a haystack and sat there, his back pressed against it. Wiping his sweat from his forehead, the young man noticed for the first time the presence of his older brother.

 

‘’Hyung! What are you doing here?’’ he questioned nonchalantly, hoping his brother hadn’t noted how pissed he was.

 

‘’Oh, not much, just noting that my little brother is working too much again.’’ the older retorted, not pleased at all judging by the tone of his voice. But that didn’t stop the young man to sigh in annoyance.

 

‘’SangHyun…’’

 

‘’No, CheolYong-ah, you know I’m right, yet you still work a lot. This damn family business will kill you one day I swear!’’

 

Once again, SangHyun scolded his brother for his overworked scheduled. However, this wasn’t the first time he had tried to warn the younger and most likely wouldn’t be the last time, CheolYong being one of the most stubborn person he had ever met.

 

‘’Hyung… we need money and you know it.’’ the younger reminded his brother bitterly.

 

‘’Not at the cost of your health.’’

 

‘’I’m perfectly fine, ok! Now, if you excuse me, I must prepare the horses for this afternoon’s lesson.’’

 

Thereupon, CheolYong got up from his sitting spot and, walked passing by the older, he returned towards the puny stable, leaving an exasperated SangHyun behind him. For 3 years, he had tried to convince the ebony haired man to search for a better paid job, failing miserably every time. It seemed as if the young man would never want leave this place, never want to do anything else. SangHyun knew his brother used that as a compensation for his lost dream and he certainly wasn’t going to forbid the younger to do so. However, he decided he ought to find someone who could help the young man, he himself working at the village’s mart, therefore prohibiting him to help CheolYong.

 

The latter, busy for the rest of the afternoon, only returned home for dinner, where he only found SangHyun but not his son.

 

‘’Where’s ChinHo?’’

 

‘’Upstairs. He was tired so I told him he could go sleep early.’’

 

‘’Alright.’’

 

These were the only words the two siblings exchanged for the whole dinner. Sitting one in front of the other, they ate in silence, realizing that ChinHo was the one to make the conversation when they had a fight, no matter how calmly it had happened. Both of them finished quickly and SangHyun proposed to clear the table, a suggestion which CheolYong accepted gladly, the young man’s eyes nearly closing automatically.

 

As he slipped under the blankets, he allowed a soft sigh to pass his lips. It might not be the best situation, neither the best life, but it was their life and as long as ChinHo and SangHyun were happy, CheolYong was ready to bear anything that he would have to bear. No matter what it was.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well... that was longer on Microsoft Word XD... but I still hope you enjoy :) God it took me 2 months to update this... I'm really sorry guys T_T I know it's a ty excuse but it's because I asked my friend to read it before and she said it was too long (??? I thought it was too short!!!) and boring... but like... I HAVE to explain their life, or else nothing will make sense O.o... anyway, it kind of depressed me and with all my exams, I forgot about it D: sorryyyyyyyyyy D:

Well, the good new is, I give myself up to march 1st to finish this and 2 other story, meaning I need to update a LOT, so expect a lot of updates ^^

On anther note, I received way more comments for the foreword than what i thought I would get :O you guys are amazing, I was truly moved to see every single of your comments :') I was so happy i decided to answer you :) though I'm not good at expressing how much it means to me :S

Lehcar_76: Thank you so much for your interest :D Unfortunately, I updated after you decide to go on hiatus... please forgive me :S but I hope that when you'll come back you'll like the updates ^^

Milielitre: Ah, yes, I planned some parts to be heartwrming ^^ even though there will be some drama :O every story needs it ^^ thank you so much for commenting, it truly means a lot :D

Belgian-ELF: so sorry for making you wait so long T_T I truly am T_T Hope you'll still be willing to read this even after all the time it took me :O

ilybetta97: haha, well I hope I won't have to make you wait too much, or else you might become more curious :D if you're still here reading this, that is ^^'

AngelicAngel: ahhh, my dear friend :D I'm so happy to see you on this story ^^ even though I already answered you on a ''reply'' comment, I just want to tell you that I love you so much, for always supporting me and for always commenting :D you have noo idea how much I miss our long conversation, but finals are coming next week so yeah D: hopefully, we'll be able to talk soon? :O

KaishkaKo: When I saw that my favorite author (aka you :O) commented and subscribed to my story, I spazzed for a while haha ^^ ok I might sound creepy, but truly, it's an honor ^^ and I'm really sorry for taking so long to update, I hope I won't dissapoint you, even though my writting is far from being as good as yours :O and yeah, it seems as Joon might be perceive as more... manly? maybe that is why we think about him first to have with a woman to have a child :O 

 

So, guys, I'll be seeing you soon ^^ can I ask for something?? Just one little comment for an update?? please? :3 I know I don't deserve it, but really, it's just so... it warms my heart everytime I see a comment and really it gives me inspiration to keep writting ^^ and please, I promise I'll be updating soon so you don't need to ask me (well if you want to had it at the end of a comment, go ahead ^^)

Ok, I'm done, see you soon ^^ <3