Jaehwa

If It's Meant to Be

  It was 4:00 AM on a Saturday in Seoul, South Korea. The sun had not risen yet. It was very quiet, seeing that most people were still sleeping in their warm, comfortable beds. Who would be crazy enough to wake up early on Saturday? But there is always someone. In fact, the only person awake in probably her whole apartment building was a young, beautiful, 23-year-old woman. Her name? Sung Jaehwa. The heir to Sung Enterprises was wide awake and busy at her desk. She looked out the window of her top floor apartment and looked down. The streets were just starting to show some life. She let out a small sigh and didn't waste too much time looking out the window. Ms.Sung had work to do. Why? Because she needed to prove to her father that she would be able to take over his prized company when the time came. You see, the Sungs never got the son they wanted. Only 3 daughters. Being the oldest of the three, Jaehwa was most likely to take over the company. Her two sisters, Jaejung and Jaesu, spent all their time shopping and dating, just like all the other heiresses who didn't have to take over their parents' buisness.

  All of Jaehwa's life had been on the fast track. Nonstop awards, praises, and admiration. But no one ever saw the girl behind that. The one who stayed in everyday and studied to make sure not to embarrass her family. The one who did charity work while the others played and partied. The one who didn't have many friends because of her life style. And most importantly. the one that had never found love. Of course, lots of men offered. They fought to be with the powerful, rich, and beautiful heiress of Sung Enterprises. If they could get her, they could get her money. Unfortunately, she knew all of their plans. Being the smart girl she is, Jaehwa rejected all guys who asked her to go out with them. Pride being hurt, they labeled her as cold, heartless, uncaring, and much worse. The women she met were no better. Most pretended to be her friend, but ended up backstabbing and gossiping about her whenever they got the chance. If not, they would give into bribes from others to hurt her with words and other things. Her life has been tough, but she always needed to maintain her sparkling image. Jaehwa didn't like it, but she was as famous as Girls' Generation. Everyone knew her. How suffocating it was just to take out her trash and be crowded around with cameras shoved in her face. Anyways, back to her work.

  Jaehwa was working on a project for the company. She knew she had to finish before 6:00 AM and e-mail it to her father. After that, she would have the rest of the day off. Truthfully, Jaehwa would have loved to spend the rest of the day reading in her bed, but that wasn't going to happen. One of her only friends, her childhood friend to be specific, had asked her to go on a double date with her at 2:00 in the afternoon. Chaerin, her bestfriend, was one of two of the only people she truly trusted. Chaerin's father owned Sung's Enterprises sister company. Therefore, they hung out whenever the two companies had a meeting together. Lucky for her, Chaerin had an older brother to take over, so she never worried about it. Instead, she became a model for the biggest shopping mall in Seoul. Jaehwa was her unnie by only one month, but Chaerin looked and dressed like an 18-year-old girl. Probably because of the clothes they gave her at the mall. She had a fun and outgoing personality, unlike Jaehwa. Chaerin loved to go out and had many friends, unlike Jaehwa. She also accepted lots of love confessions, unlike Jaehwa. The relationships Chaerin had never really lasted long anyways, so Jaehwa didn't really care. Everyone always wondered why the bubbly Kim Chaerin would be bestfriend with the icy Sung Jaehwa. Truth is, they knew that they could trust the other. Unlike all of the other fakes. They understood each other becuase both of their lives were pretty much laid out for them.

  The only reason why Jaehwa even considered the offer is becuase Chaerin wouldn't stop asking. She had come into Sung Enterprises and nagged Jaehwa about coming with her. "It'll be fun!", "Live a little!" , "Give him a chance!", she said. After a week of pleading, the elder finally agreed. Though, she immediately regretted it after Chaerin started jumping and screaming and hugging her. To be honest, Jaehwa felt that being in a relationship was a waste of time. They were never going to end up together anyways, since she was almost certain that her parents would arrange her with someone else. Then there would be drama and it would all end up as a horrible memory. Horrible momories and drama? No thanks.

  "Love is not real. It only gets in your way to success and blinds you. You do not need love." Her father had told her this when she was in highschool. He wanted to make sure that she would not get into trouble and only focus on one thing: her future. More like the future of the company. Well, it worked. Jaehwa rejected guys left and right, not even bothering to talk to them unless neccesary. Though, there was this one guy she met in her freshman year. He was a little rebellious, but always managed to get the best gradeof their class, right after her, that is. His hair was dyed a different color almost every month. The administrators didn't repremand him though, since his parents WERE the owners of the famous Lee Resorts. Jaehwa thought that he was like the rest of the rich kids. You should've seen this guy! Always talking and laughing with different people. He probably knew the whole school on a first name bases. Though, that was until she spotted him alone one day.

-Flashback-

Jaehwa walked in silence as she made her way to the animal shelter that she loved so much. Her father thought it was a waste of time, but agreed when she convinced him that it was for her "image". No one would have thought that this Ice Queen had a soft spot for animals.

As she approached the shelter, the ahjumma working there came out to greet her. "Oh, Jaehwa! There you are! Did you tell anybody about the shelter?" she asked, excitedly.

"What? Um, no. I haven't. Why?"

"There is a nice, handsome boy that came in! He's playing with the puppies right now. I thought you would have invited someone, since his uniform matches yours. Anyways, come in!"

*A boy around my age? That goes to my school? He must be one of the guys with a scholarship. None of those heirs would even think about coming here.*

Jaehwa walked in and made her way towards the back, where the puppies were. She was curious to who it would be. Maybe one of her fanboys had followed her all the way here? pft. How desperate. Yet, who she saw surprised her. It was the son of the Lees, who owned Lee Resorts. He looked up at her with shock, and she was sure that she had the same expression. What would he be doing here? After staring at each other for what felt like an hour, the boy gave a smal smile.

"Oh, hi! You must be the girl the ahjumma was talking about. Aren't you in my homeroom?" he asked.

"Uh... yeah. I sit in the front. You probably don't even know my name-"

"Wait! I know everybody's name! Especially yours. You're Sung Jaehwa, the Ice Queen!" She stood there stunned. This kingka knew her name?

They played together with the puppies, laughing at the weirdest things. It's kind of weird. They were two totally different people, yet they could understand each other more than you could imagine. Jaehwa learned a lot of things about him that day. Like how his brother would take over the company, instead of him. How he actually felt lonely, because he knows some people are just friends with him becuase of his surname. That day, Jaehwa didn't see that rich boy who had lots of friends. She saw a guy who just wanted to be normal and wanted, more than anything, to fit in.

"Oh, look at the time! I have to leave now, Jaehwa-sshi. You know how parents like ours get. See you at school!" He got up and left, waving and smiling back at her. Jaehwa watched as he left the shelter. She didn't speak until he was already far out of hearing distance, still a little shocked at what just happened.

"See you at school....... Lee Byunghun."

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINALLY UPDATED. Okay, so this WAS supposed to be a oneshot, but it'll probably be a three shot. Comments are appreciated! Sorry for some mistakes, I didn't proof-read it. :/ Hope you like it!