"I shall Believe"

Songfic - "I Shall Believe" (Sheryl Crow)

"Come to me now
And lay your hands over me
Even if it's a lie
Say it will be alright
And I shall believe"

 

Her wedding day.

It felt as if the whole universe was conspiring to make her remember that day, that was yet to come. The day she would be sentenced to keep away from happiness forever.

How had that happened?

Alright… she had done that to herself. She had turned her back to the one that had loved her truly, deeply, sincerely.

 

As she wandered, not caring about the heavy rain, she thought of all that had happened, all that she had said… why had she said that? Had it been jealousy? Had it been pride?

When she had first heard about a suitor, she had not once thought of accepting it. An arranged marriage had never been part of her plans.
At least not until that one day… the day she had seen it.
The man she loved, the man she wanted to be with… the only one she could see herself getting married to…

She had called him repeated times, but he had not gotten any of her calls.
She had tried sending him texts, but he wouldn’t answer.
She then had gone to his place.

She had felt her blood boiling, her chest heavy, her head aching… upon seeing him… he held that woman, smiling way too tenderly. It was early in the morning, so it was pretty obvious the said woman had spent the night with him.

“I’m marrying someone that’s suitable for me. You’re nothing.” – she had said revengefully.
She just wanted to hurt the one she loved, because he had hurt her first.

If she had seen that woman’s face, she would have recognized his sister right away.

She then, accepted the suitor’s proposal.
Lee Chaerin would be married by the end of January.

Had it been jealousy?
Had it been pride?

It could be… but it shouldn’t.

Although both were aware of their mutual love, none had spoken a word about it. They had agreed on keeping things unofficial.
There wouldn’t be love, just physical need.
Their unofficial commitment had worked well, until the day she had seen him with that one woman.

 

"I do believe
That not everything is gonna be the way
You think it ought to be
It seems like every time I try to make it right
It all comes down on me"

 

The heavy rain brought those memories and washed her tears away.
It was done. She had accepted. It was a matter of time…

By the end of January, Lee Chaerin would be married to a man she did not love.
A man that would not respect her as his wife, a man that would be unfaithful and dishonored towards their compromise.
She was sure of that.
He had proved so. 

The heavy rain reminded her of the day she had seen her future husband kissing another woman. He was completely drunk, the said woman just as drunk.
Chaerin had been to his house to make the arrangements for their wedding party.

She had told her father about what she had seen.

“You have to honor your husband no matter what.” – he had told his daughter.

And of course she had not liked that.
How could anyone expect her to respect and honor a husband that was not worth it?

Now, a night before her wedding day, she could think of only one person, that one single person that had always understood, respected and… loved her.
Park Sanghyun.


"Open the door
And show me your face tonight
I know it's true
No one heals me like you"

 

As she wandered, without a clue of where to go, she found herself thinking of him.
It had been her heart that had leaded her to his street.

She thought of knocking, but he wouldn’t open the door for her.
Who would?

Still, she tried.
Finding herself so lonely without him, she had nothing else to lose.
She had lost him, so there was nothing left.

He opened the door.

They stared at each other.

Words were not necessary.
She had missed him, he had missed her.
They both knew.

As he held her, not caring about the heavy rain, she felt loved.
She felt happy.

That night, she allowed herself to be happy.
Even if for a couple hours, she would have the one thing that could heal her completely: his love.

 

"Never again
Would I turn away from you
I'm so heavy tonight
But your love is alright”