It went better than expected

Stay by my side

 

It was night time in mid-June, the weather was warm and summer break was getting closer day by day. It was normal to see teenagers and young adults at these hours hanging at each other’s houses, clubs and even on parks. 

Any place was good enough to distract them from school, college, work and responsibilities, to take their minds away from troublesome things at such an early phase at their lives.

Everyone was having the time of their lives out in somewhere, everyone except Im Jaebum.

He was lying on his bed, fingers playing with his hair and headphones on each ear, from them flowed music and lyrics along the lines of “I’ve lost my mind”.
The brunette was trying to think on how he would get his hair dyed.

‘Blond would be great, maybe I could add pink. No scratch that, blond and light blue would look fabulous, bet Jr would love it!’

And there it was again, the boy sighed and threw his head further into his pillow, he couldn’t stop thinking about his best friend Jinyoung, or Jr as he preferred to be called. Every time he tried to think about something, the teenager with short hair would pop up in his mind. If he was doing something he would often find himself day dreaming of how it would be to have him by his side at the time, Park Jinyoung appeared everywhere. Not literally of course, if that was the case, Jaebum would have died of a heart attack (and it would be creepy to pop up from nowhere all the time).

The teen took his phone and changed the current song to something more danceable, he decided “Crayon” was just fine.

He knew why he kept thinking of his ‘childhood-best-freaking-friend-until-the-end-of-time’, and no, it wasn’t because they had to practice tomorrow because they were part of the dancing club. No, it was because as much cliché and lame and maybe stupid it may be—and sound, he sort of liked his friend in a ‘not-so-bro-like’ way.

You know what? Scratch that.

He loved his friend in a totally non platonic way, and he felt guilty. Not because both of them where males, oh no, it was because they had been friends since forever and he couldn’t take the idea of confessing his undying love to Jinyoung and throwing their friendship through the window just to lift the weight on his chest, he couldn’t be that selfish.

Either way, confessing or not, he was sure the other teen didn’t love, or even worse, like him that way.

Or maybe a miracle could happen and Jinyoung might like him back but was too shy to tell him!

“No. Just no.”

Jaebum decided that over thinking would do no good to his mental health and opted for going to the training room in their school to practice the dance his class was going to present in a few weeks. Contrary to popular belief, janitors didn’t leave training rooms unlocked, but Jaebum just happened to have a copy of the key (he swore he didn’t steal it, he just found it. On the principal’s office…yes, he definitely didn’t steal it).

The hazel-eyed boy finished putting on his sneakers and made his way out of his blue room towards his house entrance, successfully not being noticed by his family.

“Where do you think you are going at this hour, young man?”

Or maybe not. He scolded himself in his mind.

‘Stop assuming things so quickly! Once you do it, the opposite happens!’

Jaebum slowly retracted his hand from the doorknob and turned around to face his mum, taking his hand to rub at the back of his hair and letting out a sheepish grin.

“Hey mum! I was just-“

“Don’t ‘hey’ me”
Jaebum cringed at the glare his mother was giving him.

“Muuuum, its only 10pm! I have some important matters to attend!”
The teen whined and then pouted, giving the best aegyo he could pull off in presence of his ‘mighty-know-all-bad-timing’ mum.

“And those important matters would be…?” 
She quirked an eyebrow at him, daring him to keep his innocent act up.

Jaebum sighed 

‘I’m so screwed’

“I was going to dance a while to keep my mind as far as possible from…some unnerving thoughts”
There, he said it.

“Oh, you mean unnerving thoughts like ‘Aww man! I love my bro so so muuuch!’?”

Jaebum gaped at his mother

‘Did she just made fun of me and impersonated me in a ‘totally-not-JB-sassy-way’?!’

Wait

“…How do you know that”
It wasn’t even a question, the teen was too shocked to add the questioning tone.

Her mother scoffed at him and rolled her eyes.

“You sigh all day like some love stuck
 girl, when you mention Jinyoung you start smiling like a creep and when he comes to the house you are all flustered and act like ‘Oh my god what should I wear!’. Not obvious at all, sweetheart”
His mum said matter-of-factly.

“And before you keep questioning your horrible skills at hiding things, yes, you can go to practice”.

His mother smiled at him and went to watch TV.

‘What. Just. happened…?’

“Hurry up and get out, young man!”

Jaebum woke from his trance and hurried away from his house, who would have guessed his mother could be so…understanding? 

‘More like bipolar’

He rolled his eyes and kept jogging until he made his way to the school’s hall.

He took his key out from his pants pocket and was about to unlock the gate when he noticed that the gate was unlocked.

‘Huh?’

He pushed it and went right through the aisles until he made it outside the training room, the door was slightly open. Music and light emanating from the small gap between the door and the wall.

“Boy, you better dance with me
Boy, oh~ you better dance with me, da da da da da da dance with me”.

He recognized the song, and he would be a complete IDIOT if he didn’t know who was inside of the now ‘not-so-appealing’ room.

Jaebum cursed inside his mind, of course it would happen to him! And turned around as silently as he could, he put a foot on the wood floor to make his way out the school.

Creeeeak

…And of course Lady Luck would be by his side, Jaebum panicked and was about to take another step when the music stopped and a door was open behind him.

Well, he was caught twice today. Talk about failure.

“JB hyung? Where are you going? Were you going to practice?”

Oh.

Jaebum felt his breath hitch and his knees wobble at the slightly but-not-so-much deep voice behind him. He (committed the horrible act of) turned around and gave his best ‘hey-what-a-coincidence!’ facial expression.

“Oh, hey! Um, yeah I was going to dance but then I remembered that I had to do some math assignment so I was heading—”

“But we don’t have any math assignment”

‘Damn. Damn! Think of something, quick JB!’

“It’s an old one! I didn’t finish it on time!”
Jaebum blurted out

‘JB, you are a genius’
He mentally praised himself

“But you never do math assignments”

Jinyoung looked at him with a not-buying-your-crap look, oh he was so screwed. Jaebum thought of how good and nice (and filled with failures) his life had been and mentally sobbed.

‘I bet he found out, didn’t he?’

When he saw his best-crush-friend coming near him and opening his mouth, he closed his eyes and prepared himself to be punched and shouted at for ruining their friendship.

Instead, Jaebum felt another hand on his and heard a:

“Whatever, wanna go to the park?”

Jaebum’s eyes fluttered open and with an expression between relief and glee he nodded his head, not trusting his voice because his friend-crush was holding his hand and smiling warmly at him and Jaebum just melted (even though they usually hold hands on daily basis).

They silently walked to the nearest park and laid down on the grass, not even bothering to think about sitting on a bench like ‘normal and boring people’ as Jinyoung usually said.

Jaebum still was a nervous mess, he was so into deep thoughts (like ‘Oh my God he didn’t caught me!) that he didn’t notice the other teenager cuddling closer to him, but he did notice his friend his hair.

“What are you doing?”

“Nothing, just watching the stars. Aren’t they pretty?”

Jaebum looked up into the sky, even though you couldn’t see much stars thanks to the city lights, you could still see some. 
And indeed, they were pretty.

“Just like you”
Jaebum thought while looking at the teen beside him.

“I know”

“I just not said that out loud”
Jaebum was panicking so he turned his head to the other side, avoiding the other.

“You just did it again”

He could feel his cheeks and ears burning from the embarrassment, and got even more flustered when Jinyoung turned his head to face him with both of his hands, but couldn’t help to admire how handsome and perfect his friend looked in the moonlight and smirking.

‘He must hate me! With such a disgusted expression on his—’

Wait

Jinyoung was smirking at him

What.

“Aigoo, Jaebum hyung! You are so cute even though I’m supposed to be the cute maknae!”
Jinyoung chirped and giggled.

Jaebum just stayed still on the grass, not processing what was happening on this crazy, crazy world.

“What. Jinyoung what are you talking about?”

Cute? Him? His freaking best-friend-crush-since-forever just called him cute, and let me tell you, it didn’t sound like a ‘I-like-you-as-a-bro’ way.

Or Jaebum was just over reacting and being a drama queen, yes, his mind was playing him tricks because there was no way in hell his best friend would like him in a non-platonic way.

His confused expression must have been quite hilarious because when he snapped from his trance, he noticed Jinyoung giggling—more like laughing. 
In his face.

Okay, that kinda hurt, imagine yourself having some romantic crisis and your object of affection laughing in your face, at you. Not with you.

Jaebum sat up and pouted, he wanted to cross his arms over his chest but he would have looked too childish and not convincing.

“You are mean! I don’t like you anymore” 

More pouting, Jaebum knew he was pushing his luck (‘what luck, you don’t have luck’) a little too much, but he knew this was the perfect moment to drop some hints.

“Oh really?”
Jinyoung asked faking hurt and putting a hand over his chest.

‘Wow, talk about a drama queen’

He sticked out his tongue and closed his eyes in the most cute way he could manage, if he was lucky maybe Jinyoung would magically realize Jaebum’s feelings towards him (or he would drop subject).

But instead he felt something soft on his forehead, and his eyes shot open and saw how close his best friend was.

‘He is kissing my forehead!’

“What are you-“

“Don’t be silly Jaebumie-ah, I know you like me”

And Jiyoung’s lips moved towards his nose, and he could feel his face all heated up, just like Jinyoung’s

“And you like me a lot”

Jaebum was at loss of words or rational thinking, was this really happening? He didn’t want to wake up if this was a dream, so he just pushed his luck to the extreme, hoping that everything would end just fine (or with them still being friends, it was better than a heartache and no friend).
And tilted his head up, meeting his own lips with the ones from the teen in front of him.

And they kissed, well it was more like a peck but Jaebum was ecstatic anyway, it was the best moment ever and his heart skipped several beats just like in those cliché love novels they had to read at school.

After a few seconds, that passed like an eternity to both of them, they pulled apart. Both of them blushing as they lost themselves in each other’s eyes.

Jaebum, unexpectedly, was the first one to speak

“Yes, yes I like you a lot”

Jinyoung smiled and hugged him

“Well, that’s good because you were kind of obvious”

‘What a meanie’

“So, does this mean that…”

Jinyoung kissed Jaebum’s left cheek

“Yes, I love you too Jaebum”

“Don’t say that so quickly!”

He felt so happy and relieved that Jinyoung liked him back, but he also felt embarrassed for being too obvious.

“It’s not quick, you know, I’ve liked you since a long time”

“What? Really?!”

“Yes really, you know that you said that out loud, right?”
Jinyoung giggled

No. He didn’t realize it, so he just smiled shyly and kissed the others nose.

“I think I love you, Jinyoung-ah”

“I know”

And both teens laid back on the grass, cuddling and hugging while they watched the stars, because deep down their hearts, they both knew that they would stay at each other’s sides.




That’s until Jaebum’s mum called and ruined the mood.

 


 

A/N: I'M SO SORRY? geee, I know I but hopefully this might be of your liking.

Please tell me if there are any typos or gramatical errors! Thank you for reading!