Some Strikes and Some Sinks

In Da Club
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

It’s Friday night of the first week of the month, the always busiest day for the Library, the hottest new club in the town.  The club was opened less than a year but it had attracted a lot of costumers, mostly (legally-adult) university students and young entrepreneurs.  It may not the biggest or most glamour club in the town but its distinguished concept made the club stood in different league than others.

It had a library, literally, on the back side of the club where during days would be in conjunction with the café beside the club as the owners were the same group of friends. The lead principle of the club, Wu Yifan, was a lawyer graduated from Montreal University  who moved to Seoul to head a new branch of his family-owned law firm. He met with Kim Kibum, an American-born music prodigy who shared his love on reading. Together they approached a bunch of their common friends to invest on their dream project. One of them was Kim Jongwoon, the lead singer of an indie band who happened to be an ex roommate of Lee Sungmin, the heir of Lee Cooperation.
 

Jongwoon also brought in his younger cousin, a freshly graduated business major and former university student head, Kim Taeyeon, who was with her witty but clever presentation had winning the hearts of the principles who then agreed that she would be the perfect candidate for the manager of the club.  Their prediction was not wrong; Taeyeon did her job very well.

Some people would say that it was because she was indeed a brilliant manager. Yet anyone who closest to her would enlisted the two reasons on why she was that good: one – she liked music and authority, and being there had allowed her opportunity to sing occasionally while at the same time ordering people to do their best; and two – she didn’t date, but she loved being surrounded by pretty boys that were everywhere in the club.

But these people also knew what would be the ultimate er for Taeyeon: first – she don’t date people who worked with and for her, and second – she preferred to date mature and older men.

 

And those might be the reasons on why she was always avoiding Park Chanyeol, an old acquaintance and almost boyfriend from her past life, with whom she met again during the summer when the club was opened. Chanyeol was in the middle of a mission to locate a second job, as an outlet for his stressing day jobs as a director in his family’s restaurant chain.

That, and because Chanyeol liked to drink and invented a new type of drink. Plus as a bonus he could work along the side of Taeyeon, a sunbaenim that he was having heavy crush before in the college. They even slept together once after ‘an incident’ when both of them were drunken at one of the university’s party. Sometimes, though, Chanyeol questioned himself if they were really drunk that night. He only had two cans of beer and Taeyeon was only sipped a glass of Long-Island Tea. But if that’s what Taeyeon believed, he just shrugged it out as long as he could stay as bartender, twice a week in the club.

 

He loved it also because the club was the place where he met interesting people: women who wanted to be socialites for one night and men who came for a lifetime advice through shots of cocktails. Yet out of those people, only one that attracted him the most that he considered the other guy as ‘a friend’, a young man named Oh Sehun who had become a regular since he started his summer vacation three weeks before.   

Sehun was the third generation of Oh Design and Architecture Inc., and at that time was pursued his senior year in the Chelsea College of Art and Design in London. His major was Interior Design which was the main reason that brought him to Library at the first time. Then his motivation was changed once he found out that the club had good music and excellent lines of young DJs and singers. Plus it had the best Caipirinha he ever tasted in Jung-Gu district, on the courtesy of Chanyeol who was too generous in terms of size (only) for Sehun.

 

Also of the fact that Taeyeon had a soft spot for him. This had almost made Chanyeol to stop talking to him when the older and taller man learned about that for the first time. Later, when they knew each other better, he started to have a rollercoaster of feeling toward the younger man. Chanyeol hated the younger’s guts that the latter had kissed Taeyeon (at least) once, but his heart doing a chicken dance when he found out that Sehun had never had a different smile to Taeyeon than the ones he gave to some of the waitress that he met regularly in the club now. All but one certain part-time waitress who was started working three days ago. In those times when the said girl was around, Chanyeol caught Sehun’s eyes were twinkling brighter than the usual.

 

 “Sehun-ah, did you hear what I just said?”

“Uh? What did you say, Noona?”

“Never mind.”

“Really, Chanyeol Hyung must put more alcohol in this Margarita that it supposed to!”

“Don’t use me as an excuse, that’s less than what you have in your usual drink.”

 

And while the three friends laughed together but not really together as each had each own thought of what had transpired, on the corner where the private booths were lining, a young new waitress was having a hard time to handle a drunken young man without making a scene that would make her look bad in front of her employee.

 

“Hyung….”

“She looks like Yoong, isn’t she?”

 

Do Kyungsoo was trying to calm his cousin who spotted a young waitress who slightly looked like his former fiancée by dragging him to their private booth, but the new singer distracted his concentration, and by seconds he lost his drunken Hyung.  Not knowing

Please log in to read the full chapter