A Traveler's Spell

A Traveler's Spell

Kyuhyun glanced through the backspace of his modest home, sighing as he overheard his parents bickering. Despite the amount of people inside, he still felt out of place. He strode out of the house, to escape their noisy arguments, towards the solace of the quiet farmland.

He had planned to relax that day. Instead, this afternoon was ruined by a distant shout.

"Hey! Stop you thieves!"

Kyuhyun furrowed his eyebrows as he recognized his cousin's voice. He raised his head to see people running from the farmland.

He ran, only to catch up with his cousin, "Is everything alright?"

"No." The cousin retorted loudly. "Damn travelers."

Kyuhyun frowned when his cousin ran off. Kyuhyun followed, chasing through the sudden darkness that cloaked the forest. He squinted his eyes, hoping to somehow see one of them when his eyes settled onto one closed by.

He jumped over the roots of the trees, running closer until he nearly tackled the traveler onto the ground. He grabbed hold of the traveler's wrist. The traveler struggled to break from his grasp but Kyuhyun tightened his hold as he reached for the headpiece and ripped it off.

The dim light of the forest revealed a young woman who laid amongst the dead leaves. She had soiled skin, he noted as his eyes trailed to her crumpled emerald dress that was dirtied; entirely unkempt.

"Return our items." He demanded. The young woman fought back against his grasp, attempting to break free. Kyuhyun sighed as he reached towards her dress, hoping to find the stolen items hidden away.

"Don't you dare touch me." She said bitingly, leaving Kyuhyun startled from her scathing tone.

"I wouldn't have to resort to this if you return our items." He reasoned as he reached further into her dress-

He fell back against the ground, a sharp pain lanced through him from the punch that had landed on his jaw. He only saw a glimpse of emerald running through the forest through his pain, disappearing from his sight as he slowly stood up.

He heard his cousin stopped to catch his breath as he stood beside him.

"Did you managed to catch one of them?" Kyuhyun asked. His cousin shook his head.

"They're too fast." His cousin replied. "You?"

"One. But she was stronger than I realized." Kyuhyun grunted, wincing from the sheer strength that had slammed against his cheek.

"Their women are like that. Have no class whatsoever." His cousin explained, sighing as he spat onto the ground. "Let's go."

Kyuhyun watched as his cousin left, cursing under his breath. He turned his head and lowered himself to the ground, recognizing a piece of violet fabric he had torn away.

The delicate material looked expensive, too expensive that anyone in their right mind wouldn't have left it behind. He folded the cloth in his hands and placed it in his pocket. With a final look at the partly destroyed farmland, he returned home under that blistering sun.

-

Kyuhyun walked through the marketplace, barely listening to the occasional chatter of the townsfolk, looking at a few items when he turned his head. He realized a few of them were turning their heads towards a scene. He walked ahead to see what the trouble was about.

"How could you afford such a dress?" He heard the tailor berated. "Stolen no doubt about that."

Kyuhyun's gaze trailed to the accused, eyes widening when he realized it was the traveler from before.

The young woman merely narrowed her eyes but said nothing. Kyuhyun took note of her appearance that was entirely disheveled, the color from her dress no longer had the same brilliance they may have once had.

"It's a mistake sir."

They both turned around as Kyuhyun stepped towards them, bowing his head slightly. "I've given her the dress out of charity. I can assure you she did not steal it."

The young woman widened her eyes at his statement as did the tailor. He seemed doubtful but Kyuhyun's expression remained composed. Whether he was satisfied with his explanation or not, he did not say, but merely walked away. Not before giving her a dirty look.

Kyuhyun turned his head, looking for her and blinked. Realizing she was gone, he turned around, eyes searching until he found her retreating back.

"Wait!" He ran until he reached her and walk alongside of her. "Do I not deserve a simple thank you?" Kyuhyun asked exasperatedly.

"Why should I thank you?" She asked haughtily. "I did nothing wrong in the first place to cause the misunderstanding."

Kyuhyun sighed. "You may not remember me from before, but I-"

"I know who you are." She replied. "You've come to take me to the police? I told you. I stole nothing."

"But your family has."

She paused in her steps, glowering at him. "Why bother to talk to me then? You obviously only believe what the rest of the townspeople gossip about."

Kyuhyun bit his cheek. He wished he could retaliate against her accusation, but it was true. He felt angry by his own judgmental attitude.

"I would like you know more about you." Kyuhyun said, hoping to save face and not appear as such. "I'd rather not base my thoughts entirely on gossip alone."

She turned her head, peering straight into his that he was afraid she could possibly see right through his actions.

"There is nothing to tell." She replied, walking off until her path led her away from the streets, picking up her dress as she headed into the forest.

"Then at least a name!" Kyuhyun yelled after her. "I deserve at least that!"

The young woman stopped in her tracks, staying so still that Kyuhyun was unsure whether he should walk closer towards her.

He strained his ears to hear the soft response that escaped her lips, moments before she had disappeared into the forest.

"Victoria." Kyuhyun repeated. He smiled at the sound of it, more than satisfied that he now had a name to call her by.

-

Kyuhyun leaned against the fence of the farm, staring into the forest with a hopeful smile.

He found that his thoughts were constantly about her, and he was glad to say their paths had crossed more than once now. Each time his affections were disregarded, her attitude towards him hadn't softened one bit.

He briefly glanced up at the sky, figured that it had to be the right time. He turned his head back towards the forest, greeting the figure that emerged from it.

He smiled, enjoying the sunlight that enveloped her. He disliked his mischievous ways of gaining her attention, but he had no other choice. Bribing her with free fruits seemed underhanded, but he had no other possible way to court her properly at the moment.

Victoria noticed his softened gaze and straightened up. "If you're not here to-"

"I won't back away from my promise." Victoria watched as Kyuhyun handed her a bag of fruit. She gave a grateful bow.

"I'll help you with the other bags." Kyuhyun offered.

"There's no need."

"I insist." Kyuhyun grabbed hold of both bags and walked ahead of her, leaving her to purse her lips in frustration. Victoria reached out to grab hold of the bags when one of them ripped, the fruit falling to the ground.

They both squatted down to gather the fallen fruit. Kyuhyun's hand reached for one when he accidentally brushed against her hand.

He froze as Victoria finished gathering the last of it. But before she could stand up, he reached out and held on.

Kyuhyun stared, aghast at the texture of her hands. Never once had he met a woman with such callous hands. He was used to the fragile and smooth skin; skin that showed those hands had never once lifted a finger.

Victoria withdrew her hand harshly from his grasp. Kyuhyun noticed that she looked somewhat embarrassed. "I can take these myself without any man's help."

Kyuhyun blinked. But rather than staying behind, he followed her through the forest.

"Why must you pursue me?" She asked.

"I'm interested in you," Kyuhyun replied easily. He heard her ask why. "It's hard not to be captivated by you."

She scoffed. "I'm not interested in a non-traveler's affections."

Kyuhyun arched an eyebrow, not used to having his pursuit being rebuffed. "I can offer you a settled home." He spoke lightly. "For you and your parents. You will no longer have to salvage for food. Have to resort to stealing-"

"Do not mock my family and our customs." Victoria interjected. "We have our pride."

"You're proud of being some common criminal?"

Victoria narrowed her eyes as she grabbed onto her dress and briskly continued on her path. Kyuhyun sighed as he caught with her.

"I'm trying not to insult you. Your family. Or your culture."

"If those weren't insults, then I'm afraid your compliments may need some work."

Kyuhyun reached for her wrist, stopping her completely in her tracks.

He admitted that he wasn't sure why exactly he was charmed by this woman. Somehow her wild yet brazen appearance didn't deter him from her subtle beauty, well hidden beneath the appearance she presented to the world.

"I may not be the best at flattery... but I am trying to win your affections. Forgive my many mistakes along the way."

Victoria shook her head and continued on her way, leaving him to stand there to mentally scold himself for his earlier argument.

Someone of his status shouldn't be sparing a second glance at someone of her kind. He just couldn't help it.

She was hard to resist. Even more difficult to simply forget.

-

When Victoria hadn't appeared that one morning, Kyuhyun decided to take it upon himself to take the assorted foods with him towards her camp.

He juggled most of the heavy bags in both hands, trying his best to make it before the evening came when he missed a step.

He fell completely onto the ground, groaning slightly as he straightened up and settled on his knees. He heard a scuffle and turned around, watching as Victoria hurried towards him.

"You fool."

Kyuhyun was ready to retort when she held his hand, looking into the bloody gash. He watched as Victoria reached down to her dress, ready to tear off a piece-

"Wait!" He cried out, stopping her from doing so. "This dress is valuable."

Victoria lowered her eyes. "Now is not the time for this." She shook her head disapprovingly. "If only you had waited a little longer. I was held up by my family that I-"

Kyuhyun noticed her puzzled expression and followed her stare. He widened his eyes when he realized the violet fabric that he had kept with him had fallen to the ground. Victoria reached for it, parting her lips as Kyuhyun waited for her verbal accusations.

"This will do."

Kyuhyun gaped as Victoria reached for his hand and began tying the cloth around it.

"Isn't this valuable to you?" Kyuhyun asked, hissing through his teeth from the contact.

Victoria smiled. "Life holds more value than a material object." She tugged the two edges to tighten its hold. "In the end, we won't be able to take these along with us. So why bother to care for them?"

"Then am I important to you?" Kyuhyun asked, a ghost of a smile tugging at his lips.

Victoria said nothing, choosing to ignore his question. Kyuhyun felt he had heard the answer all too clearly.

And apparently, so had someone else.

"Victoria."

Kyuhyun blinked, noting her horrified expression and turned to follow her gaze. He found himself staring at a rather small woman who returned the stare.

"What is this non-traveler's business with us?" The woman asked lightly.

Kyuhyun stood up as Victoria pulled away her hand. "Nothing mother. I only bandaged his hand."

"If that was it, I would have stayed silent." Her mother replied as she stepped towards Kyuhyun. He had a feeling that despite her small build, she could easily overthrown him if she wanted to.

"What is your business with my daughter?" Her mother asked.

Kyuhyun shifted his eyes, swallowing slightly. "We're friends."

"Do not lie to me." Her mother warned. "Ashamed to admit anything more?"

"Mother." Victoria interjected. "He's telling the truth."

"Quiet." Her mother ordered, effectively silencing her daughter. Her eyes then examined Kyuhyun's appearance. "You've worked with your hands. You're not a royal."

"Far from it... Ma'am." Kyuhyun added awkwardly.

"Then answer. Why have you been scandalizing her name and single handedly ruining her future?"

Kyuhyun parted his lips, unsure of how to answer the question. "I'm interested in your daughter." He answered truthfully.

"Did you ask her parents for permission to court her? Did you not realize that your meetings are meant to be chaperoned? Did you not realize that because of your meetings, you've ruined any chances for my daughter to marry?"

He didn't actually.

"I apologize. I did not know." Kyuhyun apologized as he bowed down deeply.

"Hmph." Her mother scoffed. "Ignorant non-travelers."

Kyuhyun took in her words, taking a deep breath as he raised his eyes to meet hers.

"What does it take for me to become a traveler?"

Her mother stared point blank. Kyuhyun held back his instinct of turning away. This woman was beyond intimidating.

"Kyuhyun. Do you even know what are you asking?" Victoria asked in a hushed voice.

"Do you really want to know?" The mother asked.

Kyuhyun shifted his eyes from the scandalous look Victoria held to the nearly murderous one from her mother, and responded with a brief nod.

"Marry her."

Victoria gasped loudly. "Mother! This is beyond nonsense."

Her mother held up a hand to silence her as she smiled. "I wonder if you'll come to regret your decision considering our way of life. You should have thought of that before you courted her."

Her mother then left, leaving behind a staggering Victoria and stunned Kyuhyun. She immediately rushed to stand before him, her hands clinging onto her dress.

"Don't listen to my mother." Victoria insisted. "There are other ways I'm sure."

Kyuhyun blinked, realizing that instead of her immediate rejections he had expected, she was insisting on other possibilities. The idea of him becoming one of them didn't seemed to bother her.

"It doesn't bother me in the least." Kyuhyun replied. "Everyone I know are already married. I should start following their example."

Victoria widened her eyes. "Don't make such a hasty decision. You need to understand. You'll be leaving behind your family. Your way of life. You'll be shunned by everyone. You aren't prepared for this lifestyle."

"I've managed to catch up with you." Kyuhyun pointed out easily. "I'm sure I could outrun the rest of you."

Victoria narrowed her eyes, leaving Kyuhyun to laugh lightly.

"I don't find this decision hasty at all..." Kyuhyun tilted his head. "Maybe just slightly. But I don't mind it. I've seen the worst this society can be."

"You aren't prepared to be the subject of that animosity." Victoria reasoned. "It's not the same as seeing their shameless prejudice first-hand."

Kyuhyun nodded, recalling that day in town when he saw her for the second time. It was no wonder Victoria was as strong as she was. "I know the risks but I'm willing." He grinned. "If I had to be honest, I courted you with every intention of marrying you. Although I was unprepared for your mother's intervention."

"That's another risk." Victoria said quietly, causing both of them to chuckle as they both looked back at the path her mother had walked away on.

"We can have a long engagement if that reassures you." Kyuhyun offered. "If I decide by then that I'm unfit for this lifestyle, then I'll train myself even further to keep pace."

Victoria looked back at him. "Rather than returning home?"

He smiled. "I've done nearly everything to be with you. I won't give you up that easily." Victoria blinked, taking in his words when Kyuhyun reached for her hand, pulling it towards him. "Let's begin this life with the rest of the family then."

Victoria smiled, leaving Kyuhyun with enough time to sneak a soft kiss on the palm of her hand.

She forced it away from his hold, a light blush gracing her cheeks as she huffed and turned away. Dragging her dress across the ground as Kyuhyun chuckled, chasing his flustered soon-to-be bride across that forest, into the arms of a traveler's household.

The household may have no walls; no name. Nothing that can be owned completely by declaration of paper or scroll. Yet Kyuhyun felt he had it all, not minding this freedom he gained in his forest. Glad to admit that his speed had increased along with his stealth.

He had fallen completely under this traveler's spell. Every time he played such a thought in his mind, he couldn't help but simply smile.

-