Chapter 15

Lie For Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I placed two cups of tea on the table, one for me and one for Hyemi who was staying for the night in my house. There was a relaxing scent of chocolate and vanilla in the air. My mother was baking her delicious cookies for us, with a little help of my father. I couldn’t even tell when was the last time I saw them goofing around and laughing together like teenagers. The commotion in my house was a good change from the usual constant silence. Since my father was promoted and the restaurant’s reputation was in his hands, he’d been coming home late at nights, when my mother and I were already asleep. But starting from today, he’s on his one week leave which for me meant no more lonely dinners at home. I was pretty excited to spend more time with him.

“You know” Hyemi lifted her cup with tea to her lips and blew across the top of it to cool it down “You seem spaced out. Did something happened?”

I leaned back on my chair, placing my hands behind head and closing my eyes. “Not really, I’m just a little tired. It was, well, a long day full of surprises.”

Hyemi chuckled “Yeah, it was.”

“Don’t think I forgot that you called Baekhyun. I will get even with you, just wait.” I lifted my eyelids lazily to glare at her for a moment, but she just laughed again, not taking my threat seriously. I couldn’t help but smile as well. I wasn’t the best in being the serious, stern type of person and she knew it.

“I really wasn’t expecting him to be so gorgeous, you know?” She placed her elbows on the table, looking at me with eyes full of excitement “And he was so nice and carrying. I saw you two holding hands when we left the café.”

“That’s all just acting. He’s pretty good at it.” I muttered, looking at the ceiling. The whole thing with Baekhyun was giving me a headache. His today’s behavior was so confusing and I wasn’t sure what to think about it. To be honest, it was easier to deal with rude and annoying Baekhyun. At least I could yell at him or kick him in the shin for being a jerk. I had no idea how to act in front of him when he held my hand and acted like a real, charming boyfriend.

“Are you sure he was just acting?”

Hearing my friend’s playful tone, I looked at her, raising my eyebrow “What do you mean?”

“Well, you told him to go away, didn’t you?” Hyemi took another sip of her tea and I nodded. There was a small smile wandering on her lips. “But he chose to stay. No one forced him to spend time with you today. I don’t think he would help you if he didn’t like you at all.”

I scoffed at the ridiculousness of her words. There’s no way Baekhyun could even tolerate my presence. Him liking me was almost as surreal as flying pigs. It just couldn’t happen. Baekhyun was keeping people away and I was sure that even Kai had hard time to approach him. Besides, as soon as we left café, he went to meet that blond girl. They were probably having a really good time right now.

I groaned with frustration, lying my head on the table. Why did I even care what he was doing? The images of Baekhyun and Jihyun together that my mind created, were driving me crazy. I felt like my heart was too heavy and it hurt so badly. “I wish I could just look inside his mind and see all his thoughts. I don’t understand him at all.”

Hyemi ruffled my hair “Do you at least understand yourself?” I lifted my head to look at her, demanding some explanation, and she placed her chin on hand pointing her finger at me “So you really want to know him better. I think you already became attached to him.“

“What? No, it’s impossible. We always fight with each other.”

“I’m not saying you’re in love with him.” Hyemi sighed, leaning back on her chair and crossing her arms “But I think you’re starting to care about him and his feelings. Remember the last time you called me?“ I nodded once again, remembering our last conversation three days ago. Her lips curled up “You were talking about Baekhyun and his mother all the time, trying to find a way to help him.”

“I didn’t.” I scoffed, trying to defend myself but she only raised her brow, telling me that she knew better.

“Eun Jin, you wanted to make him breakfasts everyday. I know you pretty well and you wouldn’t waste your time for someone you don’t care about.”

I wanted to say something to show her how much she was wrong, but my mother came to the room we were in, with plate full of baked cupcakes. My father held door for her and she kissed him on the cheek, making me growl inside with embarrassment. I forgot how cheesy they could be together. They didn’t change at all after 19 years of marriage and I always wondered how they managed to still be so silly in love despite their age and problems they had to face everyday. Was that what people called the power of love? Will I ever be able to find someone who will love me as much as my father loves my mother?

Ignoring my parents chatting happily with my friend, I looked at my hand which Baekhyun held few hours ago. It was nice to feel someone’s warmth. It would be even nicer knowing that the person you were with, really cared about you.

“You know what?” Hyemi took one cupcake, when my parents disappeared again in the kitchen “You were wondering how to change Baekhyun but the answer is right in front of you. You should show him your parents.”

I rolled my eyes hearing her laugh. “Let’s not talk about Baekhyun, okay?”

“Are you angry because he went to see that Jihyun girl instead of staying with you?”

“Hyemi!” I groaned with irritation “I don’t care! Really! He can do whatever he wants. I’m not his real girlfriend, remember?”

Somehow my own words didn’t seem convincing even to me and my friend probably realized my doubts because she smiled widely. I cursed in my head, angry that she knew me so well when I didn’t even know what I wanted.

“There’s a saying that the more you deny your feelings, the more they grow.” She took a bite of her cookie, watching me carefully. “Time changes your point of view, you know? You could hate someone in the morning, just to fall in love with that person very next day. You’re just incredibly blind, Eun Jin. And Baekhyun is probably as blind as you.”

“You’re unbelievable.” I huffed, leaning back on my chair with force, which almost caused me to fall down. I grabbed the table top in the last second and looked at Hyemi with irritation. “I don’t care about him and he doesn’t like me! How can I prove it? What you want me to do? Hmm?”

“Then call him.”

“What?” I gave her a shocked look. She stood up immediately and disappeared in the corridor. Somehow I had bad feelings about it. Hyemi returned moment later with my bag in her hands and satisfied look on her face.

“Didn’t you fail another math exam?” Hyemi opened it and took out my cellphone from it, just to place it on the table in front of me. “Ask him to teach you math. It will be only you two talking with each other so he doesn’t need to pretend, right? If he doesn’t care, then he’ll refuse.”

I looked at the cellphone lying on the table and then at Hyemi, feeling sudden dryness in my throat. That was just ridiculous and I didn’t see why calling Baekhyun could prove her how much she was wrong. Besides, I was sure he wouldn’t even bother to answer my calls.

“You’re nervous.” Hyemi stated, making me look at her again. She cocked her head to the side. “That means you care what he’ll think about you.”

“Geez, I don’t!”

Just to show her my determination, I grabbed my cellphone and without thinking, I dialed Baekhyun’s number. But as soon as I heard the dial tone, I suddenly lost my whole courage and forgot how to breathe. Maybe it wasn’t the best idea after all and I should learn to think first before doing something. But I had no choice, right? I had to prove Hyemi that I didn’t have any unnecessary feelings towards Baekhyun. And I needed a proof for myself as well. I will just wait and hung up after fourth signal. That should be fair, right?

Swallowing loudly, I breathed in after hearing the first signal. I had to turn my face in other direction because Hyemi’s piercing eyes didn’t help me to calm down. After second signal, my hands started shaking and I couldn’t do anything with that. It was unbelievable for me how my body was reacting just because I was supposed to talk with Baekhyun. When I heard the third signal, I was sure my heart will explode and I will die as 17 years old teenager who tried to make a call. I took a deep breath, waiting for the last one signal when Hyemi accidently pushed her cup, spilling the tea on the table.

“I’m so sorry!” She sent me an apologetic look. I hung up immediately and grabbed a dishtowel to clean the mess.

“It’s okay, don’t worry.” I laughed bitterly, feeling like this words were actually addressed to me. Something wasn’t right, I felt like someone just put a heavy weight on my shoulders. I put a wet dishtowel in the sink and took another deep breath before facing Hyemi. “And you see? He didn’t even pick up.”

“I’m sorry Eun Jin, it was really stupid, you shoul—“ She got cut off by a quiet, familiar melody. We both looked at my cellphone vibrating madly on the table. Hyemi, who was closer, leaned forward to see who was calling and second later she let out an amused sigh. “He’s calling you.”

I knew exactly who she was talking about and once again I forgot how to breathe. I couldn’t even move and Hyemi had to give me the phone. I shook a no when she tried convincing me to answer it and after moment of fighting with me, she pressed the green button leaving the phone in my hands.

“What are you doing?” She whispered lifting my hand with cellphone to my ear “Talk!”

I inhaled and exhaled quickly, trying to calm myself down. It was probably the most nerve-wrecking situation in my life and I was sure I lost about ten years of my life because of all that stress. Closing my eyes, like it could make the whole situation more relaxing, I put the receiver to my ear.

“Hello? Eun Jin, are you th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter