i

If You Say Yes

We drove through the bright roads of Seoul. I sat by the passenger’s seat right next to Tabi. The autumn season seemed to bring the coldest winds. Leaves of the trees were swept and trashed nearby the open fields but were scattered again by the wicked wind.

I kept fiddling my hair, trying to brush off the nervousness I was feeling. Tabi drove coolly; his fingers tapped the stirring wheel to the beat of the Jazz music playing inside the car.

The car stopped by the old oak tree and both of us prepared our things. I got the basket while he got some candles in his left hand. He offered the other to me and we walked with hands held tightly.

Only a few number of people walked in the graveyard. The wind whistled through our ears which were compared to a humdrum. The birds on top of some trees were making beautiful noises. No, appropriate noises, but more of those sounds that were fitted to a cemetery.

We reached the white marbled graves. These were of my parents. Mom died of heart attack while Dad, old age. They were the best parents, I could say. Not because they were my parents but because they really are. My brother and I were not raised with a golden spoon in our mouths but we were spoon fed by their intelligent words.

“Honey, don’t you ever, ever let any anxieties put you down.”

This is one of the quotable quotes of my Dad who used to check whether I am stressed or not. He was the relief in me.

I slowly put down the basket and Tabi lit the candles and placed it by the side of the commemorative inscriptions. I uttered my silent prayers, hoping for the best this time. I don’t know if this stance will work, but I will try. May the Lord bless me with a handful of courage to do what is needed to do.

“Umma, Appa, we are here again, but it’s only me and Tabi oppa. Jong Uppie went to Malaysia to train…Remember Tabi oppa? I have introduced him to you, did I?” I tried to hide my chuckle as I joked around them. Tabi was smiling by my side. I held his hand.

Choi Seung Hyun is a man of his belief. Being a very successful photographer at the age of 25, he was recognized by some enormous names in different fields. He has gained popularity over countries in Asia. I knew him long time before.

I was about to take the photography book in my hand when some long, slender fingers touched the hard bound cover of it. My eyes located the owner of such pretty hand, and I saw him.

“Oh Miss, are you buying this?” He said. His deep voice tingled the most little veins of my body. Goosebumps were all over my spinal cord, then to my organs, then to the tiniest capillaries of my body. It was literally overwhelming but I am not exaggerating.

“Miss, are you…okay?” He asked. I was practically frozen in my position. My eyes glued on him. He was like, a god. His physical features are perfect. From his forehead, to his distinctive jaw line, everything fit like a jigsaw puzzle.

Luckily, my sanity went back after it hovered around the bookstore for about a few minutes.

“Give me a moment please.” I turned my back and rubbed my hands to my pink tinted face. I could feel my blood rushing all over my cheeks and it will be so embarrassing to let him see me at that awful state.

I faced him again, and gave the book, “No, it’s all yours.” I flashed a smile to him and immediately left. I dragged my feet to the doors of the bookstore but someone grabbed my shoulders. It was him again.

“I guess you dropped your phone when you gave the book to me.” He cheekily showed the phone and I nodded. Thanking him was within the situation but I don’t what got off my mind as I asked him to have some coffee with me.

“I’m Moon Hanbyul.”

“I’m Choi Seung Hyun.” He grinned.

--

“You know what, Tabi has been a really, really great man. I am very glad and very lucky to have him…” I beamed and squeezed his hand. I stared at Tabi and saw his flustered face. We have been dating for almost three years. I exactly remember how the feelings blurted out of our lips.

After I knew a few things about him, we kept in touch. I knew that he was a photographer, of any kind. He did photo shoots, he joined many contests, and he’s for hire in wedding and occasional ceremonies. We would text, call and mail each other.

Because of this kind of relationship we have, not a long time passed and I started to like him.

“Maybe I could do some photo shoot with you and your future husband someday…” He smiled sincerely.

--

“Oh God! I’m so sorry Seung Hyun-sshi!” I panicked in my house. My arms flailing and I didn’t really know what to do. It’s not about being scared about something, but I was embarrassed.

“Hey, chill, calm down Hanbyullie… Want me to come over?” He offered. I agreed and hang up and thought of the words I needed to say when comes here.

Who in this desperate world would “accidentally” send a manuscript to him? Well I am.

--

After thirty minutes, the door bell rang and I let Seung Hyun go inside the house. He had been here for a few times. I was nervously cupping my hands.

“So… I sent the manuscript to you.” I carefully said.

He sat on the sofa and played with the miniature anime icons.

“Please delete it.” I whispered and tugged his shirt from the left.

“Why? I find your story amusing anyway. A story about a girl and a boy but with the point of view of a dog…” He retorted and I blushed.

“Seung Hyun-sshi! I was drunk last night okay!” I slapped his arm. I was alarmed that he read the whole thing, and the last words.

“But they say alcohol makes adults tell the truth…” He tried to shove my hands and grabbed it tightly. He started to close the distance between us, his face a few centimeters away from mine, my heartbeat almost stopped.

“Say, the last words were a fact?” His breathe smelled so nice, like vanilla. It was making me intoxicated.

“W-would you be angry if I say yes?” I stuttered my words and tried to push him away but he was too strong.

“Hmm, let me think. No.” His hand tucked the strands of hair covering my face. I shyly smiled at him and hugged him. He was surprised by the way I acted but he let me drown with his scent.

“Hanbyullie… can you say those words again?”

“What words?”

“The words in the last page of the story…”

“Oh, I love you Choi Seung Hyun.” I murmured and went back to his chest.

I really don’t know what happened to me last night but maybe fate really does miracles.

--

“Umma, Appa, I know you will be upset about this but I and Tabi oppa started to live together.” I lowered down my body to take away some twigs covering their marriage photo.

“It’s been almost half a year when I decided to move in at his place. But don’t worry! He keeps me safe and secured there. Jong Uppie already moved to their dorm, but we always keep in contact…” I stood up again and reached for his hand. With his hand on mine, my heartbeat became calmer and calmer as each second passed.

A long silence dominated us. I don’t know what to say anymore. I talked and talked about the recent happenings of our lives, and I was nervous to get into that main topic. I gulped and gathered all the courage I got in my pants.

I turned to my parents’ graves, “Remember my promise to you? That when I found the right guy, I will immediately reveal it to you…” I muttered, and looked at the sky before rummaging a box in my bag. I cupped Seung Hyun’s face and said,

“I know this will be very peculiar but…” Then I started running to the highest hill while Seung Hyun stood still, confused with my sudden crazy actions.

I situated myself beneath the tree and felt the roughness of the barks of the tree. I gasped and said, “Choi Seung Hyun! Will you marry me?!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. My hands were on my chest, trying to calm down my speeding heart beat. I was staring at him from afar, he looked so small. But not small enough to fit in my heart.

I heard low laughs and I started running back.

“Yah!” I slapped his arm, annoyed by his laughter. Was he going to reject me? Did he think it was only a joke? I was saddened with the sudden realization that he might decline my offer. He is an uprising man in his field. He had very great potential.

I suddenly spaced out, my tears raging to flow out of my eyes but I tried my best not to let them set free. I fisted the velvet box, wanting to crush it.

Seung Hyun felt the change of ambiance. He let me face him.

“Of course I will marry you!” He pulled me to his chest, hugging me tight.

“Did I force you?”

“Of course not! To be honest, I was planning to propose to you next Monday. But here we are, in this bizarre situation of a girl proposing to a man.” He soothed my back. I smiled at him. A smile that was heartfelt because of joy.

“Let me talk to your parents first, okay?” He lightly pulled away.

“Uhm, Umma, Appa, thank you for raising a lady like Hanbyul.” He formally bowed at their tomb and I was taken aback. He was too much for me, in all honesty. Though he is a hard-headed man, he tried his best not to upset people and himself as well.

“Don’t worry, I will take care of her and Jong Up, I promise.” My arms wrapped around his back, this feeling, this feeling was too much. Too much I had a hard time catching some oxygen in the air.

“Tabi oppa…”

“Moon Hanbyul, the girl of the stars and the moon, I promise to love you till forever ends.” My tears were flowing down to my cheeks as he kissed me. I responded at him as the sobs coming from my throat paused.

We went back to the car and came home with bands in our left hand’s ring fingers.


Waaaaaa! I am so sorry the ending is just... :(

Anyways, Happy Happy Birthday to my ultimate bias... Choi Seung Hyun! *pops champagne*

Let's get the party started! <3