The Leaders

The Leaders

“CHAERIN-AH~!! I NEED YOUR HELP!!”

 

Chaerin sighed and massaged her temple, “Teukie oppa, what’s wrong?”

 

“What should I do now!? I’m going to the military and I don’t know who to choose to replace me as the leader!!”
 

The 2NE1 leader groaned in frustration. Even though in Korea it’s still morning but here in LA, it’s already night time.

 

“Oppa… Just follow your leader intuition.”

 

“I CAN’T!!” Leeteuk wailed, “My leader intuition is not working properly right now! I’m so stressed out about this I might go bald at this rate!”

 

You’re going to shave your hair when you enter the military anyways… the female thought in amusement as a small smirk stretched on her lips at seeing the Super Junior leader.

 

“What should I do now, Chaerin-ah???” Leeteuk looked at her in a kicked-puppy look and something in Chaerin just clicked.

 

“Oppa! Stop abusing your cuteness power! Geez, you know I can’t resist cuteness!” the rapper exclaimed as she used her hands to block the screen of her laptop.

 

“Please Chaerin-ah~~” Leeteuk pouted and Chaerin sighed in defeat, “Fine…”

 

“Yay!” Leeteuk cheered before returning to his leader-mode, “So… Let’s discuss the members one by one, okay?”

 

“Hmm…” came the hummed reply.

 

“Okay… So…. First candidate,” Leeteuk took out some papers, “Kim Jungwoon a.k.a Yesung.”

 

Leeteuk put down the papers and began reading the content, “He’s the oldest after I leave for the military. He’s mature and I’m sure he can handle the problems caused by the members. He has pet turtles and that showed he’s very loving,” the older male stopped to look at Chaerin, “So?”

 

“Hmm…” Chaerin her chin in thought before answering, “No.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Yesung oppa is the oldest and yes, he looks mature. But the problem is he’s a bit shy for a leader.”

 

“Meaning?”

 

“I think if there’s something happened, he would face some trouble to solve the problems. And the most important thing you need to think of is the promise he made with Kyuhyun oppa.”

 

Leeteuk tilted his head to the side, “What promise?”

 

“Don’t you remember? After Kyuhyun oppa’s accident, Yesung oppa promised him that he won’t get angry if Kyuhyun oppa bullies him, right?”

 

“And…”

 

“And,” Chaerin continued, looking serious, “That means Kyuhyun oppa has a control on Yesung oppa. And that means Kyuhyun oppa has the power to control Yesung oppa’s leadership. And in the end, that means disaster for Super Junior.”

 

“Oh my God!” Leeteuk exclaimed in English, “How come I didn’t think of that!? Oh God… Thank you Chaerin-ah, you just save my group members,” he scribbled something on the paper, “So, Kim Jungwoon, REJECT.”

 

“Next is…” a soft smile spread on Leeteuk’s face and Chaerin instantly knew who’s the next candidate, “Kim Youngwoon a.k.a my bab—Uh, I mean, Kangin. He’s the second oldest so, he’s also mature. Even though he looks tough, he’s very fragile and kind-hearted. He dislikes when strong people picking on weaker people. So, I think he’ll make a great leader.”

 

So bias…. Chaerin thought silently, “No. He can’t.”

 

“Whyyy!?” Leeteuk whined and Chaerin sighed, “Everything you said about Kangin oppa is true and I agreed to every single one of them 100%. But…”

 

“You have to think about Kyuhyun oppa.”

 

“What’s with him?”

 

“Both Kyuhyun oppa and Kangin oppa are like fireballs. Whenever a fight erupted from the two of them, well, just imagined what happened when fireballs meet fireballs. BOOM!”

 

Leeteuk blinked at Chaerin’s childish explosion gesture and he couldn’t help stretching a small smile, “Besides, Kyuhyun oppa is going to win the fight because you told me that Kyuhyun oppa’s glib tongue cannot be beat by anyone including Kangin oppa. And that’ll cause Kangin oppa to feel frustrated and probably he’ll give up on being a leader. Do you want Super Junior to be leader-less?”

 

The older male sighed heavily as he scribbled down something on the paper, “You’re right… Kim Youngwoon, REJECT. Sorry, Kangin-ah…”

 

Chaerin glared at the older male harmlessly, “Oppa, this is for your group’s sake.”

 

“I know, I know,” Leeteuk adjusted his glasses (and Chaerin wondered why would he wears glasses when his eye sight is good), “Next is Shin Donghee a.k.a Shindong. He’s the third oldest and active in variety shows. He’s fun and humorous and he’s definitely capable to lift the members mood when they’re tired, thus giving the members more energy to practice or perform.”

 

Chaerin nodded to the information, “That’s true… But…” She sighed, “We can’t let him be the leader.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Do you want all the members of Super Junior to end up fat?”

 

Leeteuk gave her a questioning look and Chaerin continued, “Forgive me to say this oppa, but, Shindong oppa is quite an eater. He’s very kind and I’m sure he’ll treat the members for food every time he got the time to show the members he’s a good leader.”

 

Leeteuk pursed his lips and looked at Chaerin, “So, no Shindong.”

 

The 2NE1’s leader smiled apologetically, “Sorry.”

 

“It’s okay. Shin Donghee. REJECT,” Leeteuk scratched his cheek before continuing, “Lee Sungmin. He’s also a mature man and even though he’s a bit girly sometimes, he can be manly when he wants. He’s great in martial arts and he’s probably one of the most rational members of Super Junior.”

 

Chaerin’s brain processed the info for a while before nodding, “Sungmin oppa will make a good leader.”

 

“Really!?” Leeteuk smiled and Chaerin smiled back, “Yeah. Just like you said, he’s mature and rational. He’s good in martial arts and I’m sure the members won’t dare to mess with him. Even though he’s a bit girly, but I think that’s a good thing because that’ll mean he’s motherly, just like you.”

 

Leeteuk smiled at the compliment but his smile falters when Chaerin bit her lips in hesitation, “But…”

 

“What is it?”

 

“There’s Kyuhyun oppa.”

 

“Wha…” realization hits him, “Ah… Yeah…”

 

Chaerin nodded, “Kyuhyun oppa and Sungmin oppa are close and even though Sungmin oppa still have the resistance against Kyuhyun oppa, I’m sure his resistance will break after Kyuhyun oppa start to whine and pout. You know he’s the master in persuading, right?”

 

Leeteuk massaged his temple, “Yeah, you’re right. That kid is the best at it.”

 

“Exactly, but don’t reject him yet,” Chaerin said when Leeteuk was about to scribble something on the same paper, “Just put him ON HOLD.”

 

Leeteuk nodded and scribbled on the paper, “Okay. Next is…. Lee Hyuk—”

 

“Reject.”

 

“—jae… Wh-What? Why?”

 

Chaerin shook her head as she crossed her arms across her chest, “Reject him. He’s not going to be a good leader.”

 

“But Hyukkie is kind and loving—”

 

“Oppa, I’ll give you two reasons why he can’t be a leader. Only two, but very damn strong reasons. One, he’s dirty. How can you expect the dorm to be clean if the leader is as dirty as a pig? Do you want to come back from the military, after two ing years and find your dorm as filthy as a barn?”

 

Leeteuk winced at the female’s words and the possible outcomes and Chaerin continued, “Second, he’s a softie. Do you think he can give orders to the members? No! I’m sure he can’t even give simple orders to the members such as, ‘pick up your clothes’ or ‘hurry up and get ready’ or ‘let’s practice’. He cries a lot and I’m sure if some of the members are fighting with each other, he’ll be the one to cry first, and yes, I watched that EHB show. Especially when dealing with that maknae of yours; believe me, just a few second and you’ll find him crying in his room.”

 

Leeteuk’s jaw hung open even after Chaerin had finished her little ‘speech’. The female was right, that are some strong reasons. A very legit ones. He lets out a heavy sigh and scratched his head, “Ok…ay… Lee Hyukjae, REJECT.”

 

“Good,” Chaerin said in satisfaction and Leeteuk looked at her carefully, “Hyukkie told you he wants to be a leader, right?”

 

Chaerin poked her tongue inside her cheek, “Yeah. That stupid monkey won’t stop pestering me with it.”

 

“Okay…” Leeteuk cleared his throat, “Next is, Lee Donghae. He has a sensitive heart and he’s extremely caring with the members. He’s a bit childish sometimes but—”

 

“Reject.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Donghae oppa is childish almost all the time,” Chaerin pointed, “He plays around a lot and I’m sure the members are going to play more, not work more.”

 

“But he’s hardworking! All of my members are!”

 

“I know, and I agreed, since I already knew about Super Junior’s hardship. I’m not saying that they’re not going to practice when it was practice time. I’m sure they’ll practice hard together, but Donghae oppa cannot focus on something for a long-term. His mind probably fly to somewhere else in the middle of the practice and believe me, he’ll drag all the members along to his fantasy land.”

 

“But he’s mature now…”

 

“Yes, he is. But he still didn’t have the leader quality like you. I watched Strong Heart, oppa and I knew he cannot talk like a leader. At least a leader like you. Most importantly, he’s Kyuhyun oppa’s boyfriend, so that’ll mean KYUHAE—no, Kyuhyun oppa is in charge.”

 

Leeteuk groaned at this, “God, I forgot about that.” He scribbled on the paper, “Lee Donghae, REJECT.”

 

“The next candidate is, Choi Siwon. Considered as the most mature member of Super Junior, I think he has a great credibility as a leader. He’s also rational and he’s good in solving problems.”

 

Chaerin nodded, “That’s true, I agree. But there’s one problem.”

 

“And that is…?”

 

“Cho Kyuhyun.”

 

Leeteuk shut his eyes and groaned in frustration, “Of course… WONKYU…”

 

“Right, Siwon oppa has a soft spot on Kyuhyun oppa. And unlike Sungmin oppa, his resistance against Kyuhyun oppa is thinner. I bet it doesn’t cost Kyuhyun oppa any effort to get Siwon oppa to do him a favor.”

 

“So… reject?”

 

Chaerin pursed her lips in thought before shaking her head, “No, put him ON HOLD.”

 

“Okay…” Leeteuk nodded, “Next is Kim Ryeowook, the eternal maknae. The best cook in Super Junior and extremely motherly and caring. He has a soft heart and is very kind.”

 

“But not a good leader,” Chaerin added, “He’s too soft. Just like Hyukjae oppa, I’m sure he’ll be the first to cry when the members are fighting.”

 

“Yeah, I agree to that,” Leeteuk raked his fingers through his hair, “Kim Ryeowook, REJECT.”

 

“Kim Kibum. The second youngest but very mature. He didn’t talk that much and is a good listener and problem solver. He’s very patient and caring to the members.”

 

“Kibum oppa is the best candidate so far,” Chaerin said as she massaged her head, “But he’s too busy and he’s now focusing on his acting career.”

 

“Yeah… I also think Kibummie is the best candidate to be a leader since Kyuhyun has less impact on him. But… He’s also our maknae, you know. I don’t want him to be burdened by this position.”

 

“Yeah, I understand… It’s easier if it’s a girl group. We’re talking about the largest boy-group here.”

 

Leeteuk nodded, “It seems like our main problem here is Kyuhyun, right? So, he’s also rejected?”

 

“Definitely,” Chaerin agreed, “First he’s the maknae, meaning, he’s the baby. No matter how much I like Kyuhyun oppa, since we both have the same type of boyfriends so we understand each other, I’m not denying that he’s very demanding and snarky.”

 

“Yeah, I bet he’ll make all the members his slave if he’s the leader,” Leeteuk chuckled at that thought along with Chaerin.

 

“Exactly, oppa.”

 

“So…” Leeteuk started, “We have Siwon and Sungmin ON HOLD and Kibum is the perfect candidate but he’s too young and busy.”

 

Chaerin sighed, “It’s not just about the problematic members, oppa. You guys pampered Kyuhyun oppa too much that he got a control over all of you.”

 

“We can’t help it!” Leeteuk removed his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose, “He’s too cute and precious for our old hearts!”

 

Chaerin laughed at this, “You guys are such a softie! Anyway, if it’s too hard to choose then, there’s only one way.”

 

“What is it?” Leeteuk inquired curiously.

 

“Leader’s intuition.”

 

Leeteuk sighed in frustration as he looked at Chaerin desperately,  “But I told you, my leader’s intuition right now!!”

 

“Oppa,” Chaerin sighed silently and smiled, “Whatever your decision is, I’m sure it’s the best for Super Junior. No matter who you choose to be Super Junior’s leader, I know it’s the best decision and I’m sure the members will think the same too.”

 

Leeteuk his face as he thinks about Chaerin’s words before he stretched out a smile, “You think so?”

 

“I know so,” Chaerin winked, “Leader’s intuition.”

 

Leeteuk laughed, “Even if I choose Eunhyuk?” he tested the younger leader and chuckled at the look on her face.

 

“W-Well…” Chaerin cleared , “If you think it’s the best then… Well… But, I really wish it’s not him. No matter how enthusiastic he is, he’s not capable to be a leader but, really, it’s your decision.”

 

Leeteuk nodded thoughtfully, “Okay… I’ll think about it. Umm… Can I ask you another favor.”

 

Chaerin smiled her infamous eye-smile, eyes turning into a pair of crescent moon, “Anything for you, oppa.”

 

“Can you look after my members after I gone? You know… You’re the most mature person I know and I need someone like you to look after my ‘problematic’ members,” Leeteuk chuckled lightly before his look turned pleading, “You understand right? As a leader.”

 

“But…” Chaerin hesitated, “But I don’t know if I can…” She really wants to help Leeteuk in this, but she’s afraid if she’s not capable in doing so. We’re talking about the largest male group right now. And not just that, even though they’re almost 30, they still acted like little children.

 

“Chaerin-ah…  Please… I really need your help. Even though I’ll choose one of the members to be the leader, I still need you to look after them for me. Please…?”

 

Chaerin stared at the older male, still contemplating about the proposal before she sighed softly and nodded, “Okay.”

 

Leeteuk smiled in relief, “Sorry, Chaerin-ah, for everything and for waking you up.”

 

“It’s okay,” the younger answered sweetly and the pair stayed silent for a moment before Chaerin smiled sadly at him, “I’m gonna miss you, oppa. So much.”

 

Leeteuk’s heart warmed at Chaerin’s words, “I’m gonna miss you too,” he chuckled when Chaerin lets out a heavy yawn, “You should go to sleep. Good luck for 2NE1’s concert!”

 

Chaerin chuckled lightly and nodded as she rubbed her eye cutely, “Thank you oppa.”

 

“Good night, Chaerin-ah.”

 

“Good morning, oppa,” and the video-chat ended.

 

Leeteuk let the smile on his face lingered for a while before sighing softly. His eyes averted to the picture of Super Junior; all 15 of them and he took the photos, softly caressing each picture of the grinning members.

 

Drops of tear fell onto the picture as Leeteuk couldn’t hold the sadness he felt. It’s not because he’s going to the military, it’s not about not being able to perform for two years. It’s about leaving the ones he loves; the family, the members, the fans.

 

“I wish you’re here, Hankyung-ah….” Leeteuk sobbed out, suddenly missing the younger male, “You’re the best candidate to be the leader,” he chuckled softly before sobbing again, “I’m sorry for not being able to stop you from leaving… Even after these years…the burden I felt for letting you go is still there no matter how much you and Heechul said it’s okay.”

 

“You shouldn’t let that burden stay then,” Leeteuk jumped slightly when Kangin suddenly hugged him from the back, “You said you’re not holding on.”

 

“I’m sorry, but… It’s just that I had always regretted for letting Hankyung leave. Even as a leader, I couldn’t do anything to stop him.”

 

“I was there, hyung,” Kangin said, “I was there during that time and I know you had done everything, everything to prevent him from leaving. Hankyung hyung and Heechul hyung knew that as well. We all do.”

 

Leeteuk closed his eyes, a bit comforted by Kangin’s words, “Thank you, love.”

 

Kangin smiled, “You’re welcome, world’s greatest leader.”

 

Leeteuk chuckled and when he was about to deny that he’s the best leader, a loud yell from Kyuhyun was heard from outside.

 

“YAH, COME HERE, YOU MONKEY!! I’LL KILL YOU WITH THAT SPOON! HOW DARE YOU MESS WITH MY GAME!?”

 

“HYUNG!! LEETEUK HYUNG!! HELP MEE!!”

 

“Go get him, Kyuhyun-ah!!”

 

“Yah, Donghae, don’t encourage him!”

 

“But it’s Hyukkie’s fault, Sungmin-ah!”

 

“But still we should help Eunhyuk hyung, Kyuhyun might really kill him.”

 

“Geh, you’re too nice, Siwon-ah.”

 

“Siwon’s right, Shindong hyung. We all saw what happened to Donghae hyung when he accidentally shut down Kyuhyun’s computer while he’s in the middle of his game, right?”

 

A moment of silence.

 

“STOP KYUHYUN!!”

 

“DON’T STOP ME! OR ELSE YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO SUFFER THE SAME FATE AS THAT MONKEY!!”

 

“EEEKK!! TEUKIE HYUNG!! HELP!!”

 

Kangin sighed as he pulled away from Leeteuk, “I’ll go check on them. These brats….”

 

“KANGIN HYUNG! KANGIN HYUNG! KYUHYUN HAD GONE CRAZY!!”

 

“YAH, CHO KYUHYUN! PUT DOWN THE SPOON AND LET GO OF DONGHAE!”

 

“I TOLD YOU ANYONE WHO STOPS ME WILL SUFFER THE SAME FATE!”

 

“Go, Kyuhyun-ah!”

 

“YESUNG HYUNG, DON’T ENCOURAGE HIM!”

 

“Sorry, Donghae, but I need to be on Kyuhyun’s side to survive.”

 

Leeteuk chuckled as the Super Junior member continued to fight with each other when Ryeowook, Sungmin and Siwon announced that they’ll be on Kyuhyun’s side, much to Donghae, Eunhyuk, Shindong and Kangin’s dismay.

 

“You’re right, Chaerin-ah…” Leeteuk said softly as he stood up and placed the picture frame where it belongs to, “Everything revolves around the maknae and also caused by my problematic members.”

 

And yet they’re the problematic members that I love, and I will never exchange them for anything.

 

 

A/N: no words can describe the overwhelming sadness i'm feeling right now

i just can't bring myself to look at the members' pictures during teukie oppa's enlistement, it's just so heartbreaking... GAWD, it hink i'm gonna cry again T.T

Seriously, I’ll ing miss him!! *sobs* I’ll be waiting for the day where all SJ members can perform as a group (yes, with Hannie oppa too :’)) By the way, this is based on a conversation I had with my friend (she’s also an ELF!) about suju’s next leader :P. We were wondering who’ll be the best candidate to be their leader and we came out with nothing X). I heard some people said it’ll be Hyukkie oppa, but I’m not that sure. Have they already chosen the next leader yet?? O.o

Anyways, enough with my rant, I hope you like this.

Comment and subscribes~