The Truth Or The Lies Hurts More?

Inevitable Consent

Alysha's POV:

 

Instead of going back to her place to get ready for dinner with Vic, Alysha went straight back to the university with Nanoko.

 

“I thought you said you had to meet someone.  Why aren’t you heading back to your place to get ready?” asked Nanoko curiously, her eyes darted at Alysha suspiciously.

 

Giving a weak smile at her friend, she gave a brief answer, hoping Nanoko would drop the subject, “The person cancelled it at the last minute.”

 

Detecting the unenthusiastic sound in Alysha’s voice, Nanoko took it as a hint that Alysha was not in the mood to talk and buttoned up, still kept a close, concern watch on her friend.

 

He’s a popular artist? Here for filming his new drama? What’s with all the lies? Why did he keep his identity a secret?  Does he think as a big-shot he could play me like a fool?  Think again, Vic Zhou Yu Min!’ she told herself, feeling betrayed by Vic.  All this time she taught she knew him.  Letting out a slow sigh, she kept looking down at the sidewalk, striding along weakly beside Nanoko towards the university.

 

Upon arriving at the lab, she went straight to her workplace, put on her headphone and listen to her favorite group, SMAP, newest single entitled ‘Kimi wa kimi dayo’.  She typed on her laptop, continuing her previous work before following Nanoko to discover her lying friend, Vic.  Feeling anger, disappointed and confused, she can’t seem to make sense what she was typing about.  Covering her face with both her hands, she felt a tap on her shoulder.

 

“Alysha, is something bothering you?  You seemed to be sad about something ever since we left the movie set,” asked her concern friend, Nanoko.

 

Removing her hand away, she looked up at Nanoko, “I’m okay.  Just a bit frustrated…I just got to know that I have been lied to for a very long period.”

 

“Is this the person who cancelled your dinner date?”

 

Biting her lower lip, she shook her head.  “The truth is, it was I that wanted to cancel the dinner date.  I can’t face him, not after knowing that he had lied to me.”

 

“You’re going to stood him up?  Are you sure?  Why don’t you go and ask him why did he lie to you, rather then just feeling frustrated without knowing?” advised Nanoko, holding her hand firmly, as if giving her support and confidence.

 

Looking straight into Nanoko’s eyes, she could feel that what Nanoko said was correct.  Why must she burden her own head with questions she have no answer to?  Might as well she asked them directly to him.  Giving a little nod, she smiled slightly.  “Hai, wakarimaa.  Watashi…ikimasu.  Arigato gozaimaa, Nanoko-chan.”

 

Nanoko helped her packed her things and gave a light hug before she left the lab.  “Be brave.  If you need a friend, call me.  I’ll be there for you,” said Nanoko, when she hugged Alysha.

 

She didn’t bother going back home to change.  She went straight to their appointed meeting place.  Being early, she could have time to brace herself for the imagined scene she had inside of her head of what would Vic’s answer be.  Alysha didn’t like being lied to especially from someone she was starting to smite with. She started to recall back anything that Vic had told her, especially the past few days he was at Japan and the times they spent together.  She was positive, there was not even once Vic gave her any hint of who he really was. 

 

“Alysha…you…came…”

 

Without glancing to her side, she knew whose stuttering voice it was that called out her name.  She wanted to look at the owner’s voice but somehow she just didn’t have the courage to look at him eye to eye, after the hurting she felt inside. 

 

~~~*~~~*~~~

 

Vic's POV:

 

Seeing her statue like form, his heart stopped.  Before, he was quite happy to see her from afar sitting on the bench at the park, waiting for him.  At first, he wasn’t sure he would meet her there after the whole incident at the track.  Remembering the way she looked, he knew she was upset and shocked to find out the truth about him.  He never meant it to be that way or lie to her in the first place.  Now, looking at her in front him, not moving an inch nor glancing over at him, he wished he could rewind the time and start over, telling her the truth from beginning.

 

Slowly taking a seat beside her, he watched her with the corner of his eye, feeling guilty and uncertain on how he should clear the tension between them.

 

“Who are you, Vic?”

 

The question he had expected to get has already been asked in an utmost soft and shaky voice. He didn’t know where to start.  His background?  His career?  Or his explanation from the day they met?

 

Clearing his throat, he finally answered, “My name is Zhou Yu Min.  I’m from a group known as F4.  Ken, Vanness, Jerry and me.  We act and sing, in a group and individually.  I’m here for my new drama, Mars.”

 

Then, there were silence again.  He was hoping Alysha would give some reaction on the answer that he has just given.  But, she remained the same.  Still eyeing her, he waited still without uttering any sound.

 

It was probably 10 to 15 minutes when she actually glanced over at him.  Her eyes glassy and he could see disappointment on her face.

 

“Why did you lie to me?  Are you trying to make fun of me because I don’t recognize you or acknowledged you for being a big superstar?  Well, I’m sorry.  So, please… stop making fun of me,” she uttered hurtfully, hurriedly getting up and trying to leave.

 

He quickly got a hold of her hand.  She just stood there with her head looked down at the pathway…not moving an inch, not even turning her head to look at him.  He stood up, still holding on to her hand while his eyes never strayed away from her hurtful expression.  His heart suddenly felt hollow and saddened with her reaction, it’s as if he could sense that he would lose her because of his mistake to keep everything a secret.  A very small mistake that had became a very big regret.

 

“Alysha, I’m very sorry for keeping everything a secret. I didn’t mean to make you hurt like this.  It was not my intention to play you around. Never! The truth is that, I’m afraid to tell it to you because I want you to be my friend because of me, Zhou Yu Min, and not because I’m F4.”

 

He paused for awhile, this time, his head dropped, eyes shut and teeth clutched. He hoped Alysha would accept his explanation, understood his intention and forgave him.  ‘I am very sorry…please forgive me…please forgive me,’ he kept saying them over and over again.  He doesn’t want it to end this way.  Not when everything has gone so well…not when he had just confessed his feelings for her…not when he has her in his heart and mind. 

 

They stood still and in silence for quite sometime before he heard, “Vic…”

 

“Vic…look at me.”

 

Heaving a sigh, he slowly opened his eyes and looked up, looking straight into her dark, glassy brown eyes.  Her expression sad but somehow, it was no longer hurtful.  Because of that, a glint of hope appeared in his heart.

 

Alysha took her hand from his.  “I…I do like you, because, you are you.  Unless if all that is just an act as well?” she paused, “But, I can feel the sincerity in them.  So, I believe you…but you should’ve believed in me too.  Do you find in me, the kind of girl that would only care if you’re famous?”

 

His lips formed themselves into a slight smile.  ‘She forgave me!  She…forgave…me…’ he told himself.  “No, I guess not.  So, we’re okay with me being an artist?” he asked, while pocketed his now free hands inside his jacket.

 

She smiled and wiped her eyes with the back of her right hand.  “I guess I am.  So, any other secrets you are afraid to tell me?  Or do I have to find out this way again?” she .

 

He chuckled, “Well, let’s see…”