warm but stange

Blue String of Destiny

 

Because it was a weekend, we decided on whim to go clubbing, but to be honest I thought we’d be resorted to think of other plans, heck, I didn’t mind heading home, I think I’m going to lose my voice with all the shouting I did at the concert, but surprisingly we were able to pass security and are now jumping about and just loosening up in the midst of every other clubbers – drunk or sane enough to know what they’ve been doing. Henry was right, it’s a whole different culture, as to why he knows or how he’d pass security I don’t want to know. I was busy making sure no one else feels for Sunny, as it may have been a constant thing – people feeling, and grinding against each other – and a couple more would just sway slowly to an upbeat music and doing things I dare not say but I do wish they’d get a room or the toilets for that matter. Sunny told me, a few short, quick ‘miracles’ happen there as well. I don’t know if I should shudder or be amazed at the information I’ve been given or seen for myself.

 

“Come on, Sungmin, try one,” Sunny coaxed me into drinking one those cocktails she takes in one shot every fifteen minutes or just when we sit by the bar to rest our feet. Having unsuccessfully persuaded me for the tenth time, pouting she asked for another, a tequila margarita, I think, and chugged it in one go and without so much an effort, one of her arms went behind the back of my head, grabbing and pulling my head towards her, tilting it as she locked her lips on mine and as my mouth had open slightly I tasted the refreshing lime cocktail down my throat and her tongue tentatively teasing – much to my surprise.

 

“Once in a young lifetime one should be allowed to have as much sweetness as one can possibly have,” she said in a sultry, mysterious voice. I wonder if this was also a part of Sunny’s diverse personality or the tonic talking but I like this Sunny too and if I hadn’t been in half the right mind I would’ve pulled her towards the nearest corner or in the center of that crowded dance floor and reciprocate that kiss, more fervently than it was given but unfortunately I was sane enough not to do just that.

 

“That wasn’t sweet, Sunny, if anything else,” I retorted. But afraid of what else I might do and what else she might do in her current state, I decided that it was time for us to leave.

“Boo, Sungmin loosen up a little,” she pouted as we headed out the club. And I had to assist her, she was beginning to wobble. As much as I wanted to take a taxi, I don’t have that much money and I still don’t know where she lives, so hoping she’d tell me in her tipsy status, we sat at the waiting shed for any bus while I persuade her into telling me where.

 

After what seemed like forever, with Sunny already dozing in and out of reality I decided to browse through her phone. “Who’s Donghae?” I asked cautiously.

“Brother,” she replied in a slur. I smiled both relieved and well just smiled. I pressed the ‘call’ button and waited for him to answer while watching at Sunny sleeping at my lap.

“Yo, Sunny, why’re you calling me?” the energetic tone somehow surprised me; somehow being energetic and bouncy runs in the family I guess. Inhaling deeply, I answered the phone. For a second I could feel a bit of surprise from the other end but was easily concealed before I was given the directions to their house. I was surprised, I thought he’d be like Sunny being no-going-to-my-house attitude but he implicitly tells me to take his sister home as I wished.

 

 

*~*~*

 

I now know Sunny’s residence was actually situated in one of the well off residential in the city but to have her actual home so far away and on top of the highest hill, now I understand why she defers any thoughts of visits. Since the bus does not reach that part of the area and the streets are too deserted for any hopes of a taxi coming, I went for a hike with Sunny on piggy back.

 

Halfway through, I felt Sunny’s phone vibrating against my pocket as I put it to my ear I heard that welcoming voice again, saying he’ll meet us on the way. After humming my affirmation I pocketed the phone and continued with the hike. “Ugh, you’ll be the death of me Sunny,” I muttered. She wasn’t heavy, promise, it was just the gravity pulling and I wasn’t made for strenuous activities such as this, and I’ve been very tired from the early events of the night.

“Well, I wouldn’t say that,” I heard someone said in an amused tone.

“Donghae?” I asked to confirm. He made a slight bow and probably a wave of the hand like how a theatre actor would bow to his audience. Wow, he’d arrive really quickly or I was just too busy with my own predicament. He outstretched his arms to collect his sister but Sunny had a tight grip around my neck. But with a few wheedling Sunny’s grip softened and she was transferred in the arms of her brother.

“Well, I’d be off then,” I said. I don’t know why but I had the sudden urge to be out of his sight despite how friendly he has been, considering it’s our first meeting and it’s in an occasion where his sister has gotten herself drunk. He grabbed one of my arms without any trouble despite how he’s carrying Sunny.

“Don’t be silly, the least we could do is to offer you refreshments, and then you’ll be off.”

With the way he’s grabbed me and said it, it was certain I have no room for objection and silently followed his suit.

 

When we reached the gates of their house, “Maybe I should really just go,” I said.

Donghae pouted as we waited for the gates to be opened. “If you wouldn’t come in I won’t,” he threatened petulantly. And as the gate was opened by another young man, I was resigned to enter first before Donghae and because I had my back on them, whatever conspired between the two was unknown to me except for what Donghae said, “It’s the least we could do for burdening him of carrying heavy-weight Sunny.”

“She’ll kill you if she heard that,” the other muttered but I could see the faint trace of a smile as he walked pass me while Donghae laughs unreserved behind me.

 

 

*~*~*

 

“So what’ll you be doing for your birthday?” I asked, after swallowing half the kimbap, it was lunch break. Sunny looked at me confused and a few seconds later her expression changed into surprise as if the very idea of someone knowing her birthday is a national secret, if she only knew, that I’m probably the last person in class who knows about this information.

 

“Your brother told me,” I supplied the answer to her unspoken question. Now her eyes have gone wider, she’s even become pale as if I’ve said a very bad thing, worse than cursing someone. “You passed out after ten rounds of drinking I think, remember,” I drawled, raising an eyebrow.

“That’s all he said?” she asked. Finally, getting back to her usual self. I nodded.

“So,” I supplied.

“I don’t celebrate birthdays,” was the curt answer and she suddenly left me alone confused in the cafeteria. Is she having her period or something? She’s already difficult to understand as it is; now she throws in women business on me.

 

Meeting Sunny’s family was a warm but strange one. I don’t get why I felt awkward or slightly apprehensive with them around because they’ve been really nice to me in that short time of drinking and harmless interview. I just felt embarrassed that I have to be told about her birthday by them. Would she get mad if she sees me joining them in their family dinner?

 

“Sunny doesn’t really like celebrating birthdays,” Donghae said in a conspiratorial manner, leaning at the edge of his seat. “But we give her special dinner instead. Why don’t you join us?”

“She’ll really kill you,” warned Siwon, the one who opened the gates for us.

Donghae dismissed him with a wave of the hand. “She’s just being shy,” he said and then facing me, “You’ll come, right?” he flashed out an expectant smile that I had no choice but to agree.

 

I sighed heavily, after seeing her reaction today I highly doubt she’ll like seeing me. Well, there’s still two more weeks till then, maybe she’ll change her mind. What’s wrong with having your boyfriend over to celebrate one special day?