Average

Blue String of Destiny

 

Sungmin liked his life, average as it may, although he wished he was a few inches taller than ‘just above average’ height. When you’re average, Sungmin thought, you don’t get bullied nor do you become branded as a loser or a bully, you are not known by everyone but you are not non-existent either, you are not given too many a task that bears too many expectations nor are free of tasks because people think you are useless or a klutz.

 

Sungmin was partly a home-buddy – only stays at home when short in allowance or no one inviting him for anything or not sparring and practicing taekwondo. How about dates? Well, Sungmin broke up with his girlfriend of one-year three months ago thus making him a guy’s buddy on occasions when a guy’s aid is necessary.

 

Sungmin’s hobby – sleeping and reading novels, not taekwondo, no, Taekwondo was a sort of like a necessity, for self-defense and when he renders his two-year military service. But despite how Sungmin wants to keep everything at average, circumstances want more from him that’s why keeping just above the grid, as Sungmin would say, was a difficult thing to do because the truth was Sungmin was anything but ordinary, he just doesn’t know it yet.

 

 

It was a strange way of meeting each other. Too strange to meet the person whom Destiny deems fit for you, or rather for me, one of us had eyes that glared in a menacing, mad manner whilst the other is soaked in blood. One had a dark lopsided smirk spread across the face, a cynical laugh threatening to come out as the other wishes to just disappear, cold sweat running down the back, limbs gone numb.

 

I wonder if Destiny is mocking me or is giving me happiness, if you will, before I expire and be rid of this world. One of world’s paradoxical ways I suppose…

 

 

 

“Then what happened?” someone asked from above me, obviously peeking unceremoniously and had successfully taken me out of my reverie. I glanced up, as I instinctively covered the pages and words I just scribbled in. I was about to bluntly point out that she was being rude and trespassing personal space when I realized I haven’t met her anywhere before, but she’s wearing the school uniform, with the same emblem as I have stitched at the pocket. She tilted her head slightly to the side, waiting for an answer.

 

“Who are you?” I asked instead.

Her eyes widened a little and literally hit her head at the side lightly realizing her misconduct and introduced herself holding out her hand, to which I reluctantly accepted, as to why I did so, I have no idea.

“So what happened?” Persistent girl isn’t she?

I shrugged, “I don’t know really, just had thought of scribbling it.”

Then my close friend came up to my desk and immediately I closed my notebook. Henry was about to make the introductions until he realized I was already acquainted with Sunny, the girl who rudely peeked over.

 

 

It turns out Sunny was a transferee not too long ago, though I found it odd, I haven’t really noticed her until just now. There’s nothing wrong to it, if she was just someone ordinary and had an ordinary character but she isn’t both. Sunny may have quite an average height or a little too close to being called short, closest to that of the class president Taeyeon but everything else about her is way above average. One thing I’d say for now, she is sweet, too sweet that if my eyes or my reasoning had teeth, they’d have a few decaying from cavities.

 

 

*~*~*

 

The night was still, and only the sound of crickets singing can be heard and sometimes the wind chime dances brought about by the gentle summer breeze. It was a good night to take a good, beautiful sleep but I lay awake, there’s still thesis to make, a few more things to prepare. Why did I even consider continuing on to college, with the wars going on, how can an accountant be useful?

 

I was about to shut my eyes, the breeze was just perfect when I heard a sound on the roof which made me jolt, a sort of sound as if a ball or something light was dropped. I lie quite still and listen for any more sounds but nothing else happened. But while waiting my thoughts wandered to tales shared by friends about the unsettled spirits roaming on campus – said to be those of soldiers and civilians who’ve died because of the wars, that I’ve imagined something eerie looking beheaded body floating behind me, gazing down at me despite how it was impossibly so being headless, but before I scare the wit out of myself I shrug the thought away.

 

*Thud*

I heard it yet again, this time it has somehow rolled over or had there been a few more smaller things that fell, I don’t know which is which but it had caused me to rouse from my bed. “There’s nothing to it. There’s nothing to it,” was my mantra at that moment and while waiting for any other unnerving sounds I let go of my breath when I saw a cat leapt up from the roof. Finally, having the wits shaken from me by a mere cat, I decided to continue on with that sleep, not knowing that there had been actually someone if not something on top of my roof…

 

 

“Wow, skillful writer aren’t you?” it was Sunny, reading over my shoulder yet again. Has she any better things to do than pry on me? Obviously a lot of the girls would love her to be in their company and a few more guys want her attention but too bad for them, Sunny found me a more interesting object of her attention as annoying ,sometimes, it may be on my part.

“And ever the personal space trespasser, aren’t you?” I mocked closing the notebook from her prying, curious eyes.

She laughed mockingly at me and handed out one ticket, and upon seeing the contents printed in bold letters, I felt ashamed of being not able to contain my excitement. They were tickets for the concert of one of my favorite bands! I had been sulking for days when I couldn’t get a hand of even one. Seriously, they sell like pancakes.

 

“What’s the catch?” I asked, eyeing at her speculatively after grinning from ear to ear and practically yelling out an ‘oh my god!’ without a thought. Surely there must be something behind this, these tickets she had were front row seats?!

“Nothing,” she shrugs, “I had an extra that’s all.” She smiled sweetly.

Then we heard a few of our classmates whistling and teasing us, calling me a , to ‘read between the lines, bro’ and whatnot. I know what this meant and I try not to fell prey to their ridicule as I coolly, hopefully, accepted to be her date. Yes, that was what this is, embarrassing as it may, to be the one being treated by a girl but yes it was obviously a date. Now, I have at least a week to save up for a date with ‘Must-be-a-guy’ Sunny.

 

She was dubbed must-be-a-guy within just a span of two weeks of her transfer because of her actions and preferences that the male population would think her as ‘one of the boys’. Sunny liked sports, so much so, that she’d tackle and slide despite the mud and grime, or get scrapes while on it. Sunny could win on arm wrestling and would even participate so openly. Sunny could build a bird’s house better than half the boys in class and in spite all that and a few more; she handles herself as feminine and suave as any girl could be other than her wonderful figure. And because Sunny for some unknown reason chose to be in my company more despite how others have hinted that their company is much better than mine, I’ve found myself a few unlikeable groups with me. Good thing, Henry has a skill of distracting people and away from me, even skillful at taking Sunny off my radar for a good while.