The bad news

Flowers and love

**will be Del's P.O.V forever**

"Delphinium Bloom?" called out my homeroom teacher, ms yong.

I raised my hand, wishing for the millionth time that my parent had given me a more basic name. Sure, delphiniums are those pretty bluish purple flowers. But most kids in my town of Seoul, Korea, didn't know that. Which is why I prefer to go by Del. I was actually from New York but my dad was transferred here because of his job. That's why i don't have a korean name like the others.

Ms yong was taking attendance before the morning announcements. As she went down the list, I opened my history folder and looked over my homework assignment on the Cival War. I was glad it was Friday and I've had two days off from learning about the Union and the Confedercracy.

I glanced up just as ms yong got to Daehyun. He's a bit of a smart aleck so he answered with a 'yo', which earned him a frown from ms yong. But we were done. And just in time.

The loudspeaker came on, and the assistant principal's voice rang out. Yada yada yada. Yearbooks would be on sale in the cafeteria starting next week. Final exams would begin June 18. And lockers would need to be cleared out by June 21.

i only half listened. I had already preordered a yearbook and the dates for locker clean out the finals were marked on my calendar. And yes, in case you were wondering, I do know my organised ways may seem a bit excessive. My family doesn't call me "Detail Del" for nothing. I choose to take it as a compliment. (Do I really have a choice?"

But then, the principal said something that made me sit up with, not interest, but with another feeling---dread.

"And now," he said, "we have a special announcement  from seventh-grade student council representative, Jiyeon.

Jiyeon is my number one enemy. And she's the worst kind of all---the one you used to be best friends with. Okay, that's was all the way back in preschool, so any info she might have to use against me is of the "she spilled grape juice all over her Barnet T-shirt when she was three and a half and cried for an hour" variety, but you get the idea. These days she is super mean and the two of us barely speak, except when she's making fun of me. 

I stared up at the loudspeaker with a frown and nervously ran my hand through my wavy, shoulder-length, light brown hair. Whatever Jiyeon had to say, it couldn't be good. The rest of my classmates seemed interested, however. A hush has fallen over the classroom. Jiyeon is pretty and wears trendy clothes and people seem to like her. Or pretend to like her because she's popular. I'm never quite sure how these things work. 

Jiyeon's annoyingly chipper voice came through loud and clear.

"Fellow students of Seoul Academy, I have some very exciting news to share with each and every one of you," she began. I rolled my eyes. What a drama queen! "As you probably know, it is prom season---the most exciting and fun time for high schoolers. Well, why should they have all the fun? So I had a fab idea---a middle school prom!"

Middle school prom! I thought. What an awful idea! I looked around at my fellow students. Surely they realised how silly this was....

"OMG!" cried Hyomin, who sat a couple of seats ahead of me. "What a great idea!"

Everyone else started grinning and nodding. I rolled my eyes. What were my classmates thinking? They has all been to ours at school dance---a Valentines day event called Have a Heart. Boys on one side of the gym, girls on the other. Ice-cold pizzas congealing in the boxes and bottles of flat soda.