Chapter 11

He's mine! [Discontinued until further notice]

"Do you really think the boys will be okay together at home? What if something bad happens? Maybe I should have stayed at home..."

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes as he shrugs his shoulders and tugs the human further along down the sidewalk. "Who knows? Stop worrying, Kyungsoo. You worry too much! That's why you have wrinkles on your forehead."

 

"I do?" the latter squeaks, covering his forehead. The inner corners of his eyebrows curl upwards and Baekhyun briefly thinks it's impossible for anyone to be this adorable. 

 

"I'm just kidding! But if you keep on worrying about Kai, you will! Sheesh, you're like his mother." Baekhyun pinches his cheek, grinning as he flushes. He learned over the last few days that Kyungsoo wasn't accustomed to others touching him, and he took it upon himself to change that foreign feeling into a recognizable one. It's natural for friends to be intimate with each other, right? And Baekhyun felt uncomfortable with the human flinching away or widening his eyes as if him patting his back was a sin. 

 

"They'll be fine. You have my word. Chanyeol's a grown man!" Kyungsoo gave him a pointed look. "Okay, okay, he's still growing, but you get what I mean. He knows how to take care of a dog; he has before. They can handle themselves. And if anything, the neighbors are more than happy to help him. We're just shopping for a few hours. It's not like we're leaving for a few days. Now that is when you can worry." They chuckled in agreement, one following the other into the busy streets of the shopping plaza. 

 

"Now just relax and have fun, Kyungsoo. Really. Thinking about Kai is forbidden, understand?" Kyungsoo nods furiously, determined to not ruin this for his new friend. Especially since Baekhyun offered to pay for his wardrobe, he definitely did not want to burden him. 

 

Kyungsoo let Baekhyun drag him into a medley of stores, amazed every time as he managed to combine varieties of outfits. Often, he'd hear the older male mutter, "Nope, too baggy. Let's see if we can find a smaller size..." or "Aha! Perfect! It totally compliments his..." They weren't exactly loud, for Kyungsoo had to strain his ears to understand, but it impressed him how much knowledge Baekhyun had. And he would be lying if he said he didn't like the clothes Baekhyun chose for him.

 

He didn't look so tiny anymore. He felt like he was almost a high schooler again. And well, most of all, Kyungsoo didn't feel like a homeless kid struggling to feed himself. That's what made him so willing to go along, despite the constant, nagging feeling that Kai wouldn't suffice an afternoon without him. He wants to appear as a part of the crowd of young adults. Someone fresh out of high school, or already in the first year of college, with friends and an apartment and daily meals. 

 

It all sounds so perfect--so normal--that Kyungsoo didn't mind his feet hurting, or Baekhyun's phone buzzing every twenty minutes ("Are you going to ignore that? What if it's an emergency? Do you think something happened? What if Kai's hurt?" "Nah, I bet they're getting along just fine. Oh, look at this, Kyungsoo! Is this just the cutest thing ever? Do you want to try it on?"). He enjoyed Baekhyun's nonstop chatter, the way he consistently pressed his fingertips against his hand to grab his attention, and how he wouldn't let Kyungsoo walk on the outside of the sidewalk. 

 

In a way, he felt that Baekhyun was motherly, instead of the other way around. 

 

"See, isn't this nice? Just us two, bonding. No clingy Chanyeol or rackety Kai! I can finally move around without that giant breathing down my neck and touching me 24/7, and what is that you hear? That's right! Not Mr. Grouchy's barking!" Baekhyun twirls on the spot, walking backwards to gauge the other's reaction.

 

Kyungsoo just laughs, turning him back around so he won't bump into anyone or injure himself. "If you ask me, I'd say Chanyeol isn't the only clingy one in your relationship." Baekhyun sputters and gasps, dramatically clutching his chest as he mouths "moi?" 

 

"I like how you're always together. I don't know if you know this, but I'm very envious of your relationship. I wonder what it's like to wake up everyday and not have to worry about your partner still loving you. You two have so much trust in each other. I don't think I've ever seen a time where you aren't looking at each other." 

 

Baekhyun's ears flushes as Kyungsoo finishes speaking. Was it that obvious how much he cared for his boyfriend? They were often seen as a couple who bickered way too often--like a mother dragging her son around--so he didn't expect the human to even notice, and he was struck dumb as to why Kyungsoo would be jealous, considering how inseparable he and Kai are. 

 

"And I'm really sorry about Kai," the shorter male continues, lowering his head. "I don't know why he's acting up suddenly. He was perfectly fine the first night we stayed."

 

The former waves his hand, claiming that there was no need for him to apologize. "It must be hard, huh? Having to raise a dog while you were... you know. It's probably tiring to be with him all the time and having to watch him."

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head, a bright smile weaving onto his lips. "Not at all! I don't mind, really. Kai is well-trained. That's why I figured he had a previous owner."

 

"He's not troublesome, is he?" 

 

"He's not an inconvenience to me at all. It's more like I'm the bothersome one; I'm too attached to him. I don't know, you probably think I'm weird for thinking this way towards a dog..."

 

"No, no, I totally understand you!" Baekhyun squeezes his shoulder. "It's cute that you care so much about Kai. A lot of people feel that way towards their pets. Heck, I feel that way towards Chanyeol!"

 

Kyungsoo sticks out his tongue, grinning sheepishly. He suddenly tilts his head to the side and squints his eyes in thought. "Baekhyun? How did you and Chanyeol meet?" The question throws Baekhyun a little off, considering Kyungsoo was the first human to ask. How would he go about telling him that he and Chanyeol weren't from Earth? 

 

"We met at... okay, I'm going to be flat out honest with you, but Chanyeol hated me at first." Kyungsoo's eyes, as big as they already are, widened to the largest point Baekhyun ever saw them. Hehe, didn't expect that, huh? 

 

"No way!"

 

"Yes way! I'm being completely serious! He hated my guts! He always made fun of me for my height, and teased every time we saw each other. Like, he'd throw my school stuff in trees, hide my shoes on the top of shelves, and you know how people take your things and hold it in the air because they know you aren't tall enough to reach for it and get it back? Yeah, he did that all the time.

 

"Not only that, and this is the worst part I tell you, he somehow found this really sensitive spot on the back of my neck. I don't know how, just one day he happened to be messing with me and poked me there or something, and I freaked out because, oh my god, that was the weirdest feeling I ever felt! He thought it was hilarious, and I didn't, so he kept pinching me there--he doesn't do it anymore because I'd hack his fingers off." He rubs his neck and shudders because strangely enough, he can still feel the funky sensation whenever it is mentioned. 

 

"But one day I finally had enough, and I lost it. He was being the usual jerk, and I was trying to hold my tears in. And his best friend then, man was he tall, taller than Chanyeol--I know, I know! I am surprised, too! How can there be someone taller than my Chanyeol? Anyways, his best friend noticed that I was close to tears and tried stopping Chanyeol, but he didn't, so I yelled at him.

 

"I must have looked horrible because I was crying and sniffling all the while screaming at Chanyeol. I remember saying something like, 'Why are you always picking me? It's not fair! It's not like I asked to be born short!' and blah blah blah. I stormed out of there before he could say anything, but you should have seen his expression, Kyungsoo. Like he just saw some puppy getting kicked... He felt so bad afterwards.

 

"He found me at the... um, the day care! Yes, there was a day care I visited often--I love children--and I was playing with the babies to cheer myself up. Chanyeol says the moment he saw me, he fell in love." Baekhyun bit his lip to keep from smiling too wide, and giggled to himself. Kyungsoo joins him, giddy to learn more about his friends, and they bump shoulders, the older male embarrassed. But their story was so interesting! If only Kyungsoo could have a love story like theirs... 

 

"And then? What happened after? How did you start dating?" Did they kiss right there? But wait, the kids... They wouldn't do that in front of the kids. What if Chanyeol dragged Baekhyun out of the day care and kissed him! Like in movies! How romantic that would be! 

 

"Hm, let's just say he had to do a lot to make up for bullying me." Baekhyun winks, leaving Kyungsoo to fill in the blanks. The latter whines, but Baekhyun doesn't give in this time.

 

"Well then, how did you guys start working at that fast-food restaurant? Why didn't you apply to work at a day care?" 

 

Uh... how do I tell him that Tao pinpointed Jongin's location, and we were assigned to follow him?

 

"Well, you see, I need a license for that, and we just don't have money for college." Kyungsoo nods in understandment, and he regrets asking in the first place. "But it's okay, we're managing. We wanted to work together, and we came across that place. Recently though, we were hired for jobs here in town." 

 

"Oh, really?" Kyungsoo hadn't heard about this, but that would explain Chanyeol's uniform. "I know Chanyeol has a uniform. Is he like a postman?"

 

"Yup!" Baekhyun sighs, proud. "He's so handsome in a uniform! He's really good at organizing mail and getting them to where they need to be. And me? I actually work at a children's boutique." Ah, that would explain his fashion skills earlier! 

 

"I'm so jealous of you two," Kyungsoo murmurs. "Up until high school, I've only had one boyfriend and that... didn't quite work out too well. Ever since then, the only person in my life was Kai. And now, you and Chanyeol." 

 

Baekhyun links their arms, as if justifying their friendship. "Kai? That's all? That's why he's so important to you. He was your only friend then."

 

 

"Exactly. There are times when I'm scared he'll leave me, though," he softly admits. "I'm not the best owner out there, but I'm trying to be. Kai's overprotective, and he can get jealous pretty easily, but that's what I like about him. He's loyal, and I can count on him to come back to me at the end of the day. He's just so sweet! And that's why," Kyungsoo scrunches his nose, averting his gaze to the sky, "I'm reluctant to leave him alone. I don't want him finding someone else or wanting someone else's attention."

 

"You sound like his girlfriend," Baekhyun snickers. Instantly, he wants to take back his words. What are you thinking, Baekhyun? Are you trying to encourage them together? Watch what you say or you'll risk losing your job.

 

"He's the only family I have. I don't want to lose him." Oh, phew, he only thinks of Jongin as family. And I was getting worried...

 

"What about your parents, Kyungsoo? Did something happen with them?" Kyungsoo slips his hands into his pockets. He contemplated how to tell the other this. It just wasn't something you would say aloud. "My father left while I was still a toddler, and my mother passed during my first year of high school."

 

The topic was dropped because they both knew what happened afterwards. "Come on, let's see what other places are on the other side!" 

 

Baekhyun watches Kyungsoo skip a few steps ahead of him, his smile dropping. Oh no, this is really bad. What has Jongin done? He's not supposed to be able to use magic in this form! So how did he manage to brainwash Kyungsoo? This is really, really bad! If I don't separate the two soon, Kyungsoo might break the--

 

They stroll into an accessory shop, drawn in by the sales and interesting items, and  Baekhyun catches Kyungsoo observing a teenager wrap a scarf around her dog. She doesn't seem to think it's cute enough and holds a collar up to the dog's neck. She shakes her head and places the items back on the shelf. Kyungsoo's eyes are glued on the collar. 

 

He's so cute! How can someone so cute be pulled into this mess with Jongin? He doesn't deserve this. I mean, look at him! 

 

The human idly jingles the bell on the targeted collar. He stares at it with such an intensity that Baekhyun has to call his name several times to snap him out of his trance. "That looks cute," he says with a knowing smirk. Wait, what am I saying? If I keep this up, I'll end up...

 

"Yeah, but I don't think Kai would like collars. I made a makeshift one before, and he chewed it to pieces." Please, the older male pleaded. Please don't make that face! I'll... Kyungsoo lingers a few seconds longer before turning to look at a different section, but Baekhyun, unable to sit back and watch his baby wear such a pitiful expression while not doing anything, calls his attention back. I am so going to regret what I'm about to do.

 

"Well, if you really want it, I can get it for you." The other's eyes widen, and he is about to dismiss the matter, but Baekhyun insists. "If Kai ever gets lost, you'd want people to know who he belongs to right?" Kyungsoo nods, and Baekhyun's heart drops at his rosy cheeks. "Y-yes... I want people to know he's mine."

 

Chanyeol's going to kill me.

 

With each step he takes, the bell tinkles, and Kyungsoo smiles gleefully. He feels like stopping in the middle of the street to dance and cry with joy. Would Kai like the collar? What if he doesn't like the color? What if the bell annoys him? Oh, but it's so, so cute! It's perfect for Kai! He has to like to like it Kyungsoo, finally convinced that Kai will like the gift, looks up, having seen someone familiar in his peripheral view. 

 

"Ah! T-Tao-ssi!" He catches the other male's attention by waving. 

 

Baekhyun, who was sulking as he reprimanded himself for not being able to resist his child, straightens himself to see who Kyungsoo was calling over. He immediately brightens, narrowing his eyes at the tall male jogging towards them. "Taozi! You're outside!" The corner of Tao's lips twitch, but it's quickly replaced with a smile, and he pulls Baekhyun into a hug.

 

"Hm? You two know each other?" Kyungsoo observes the two greet each other. What a small world! he thought. 

 

The two finally part (more like Tao didn't let go and Baekhyun had to bite his arm--hard--in order to be freed), and set their eyes on the human. "Yeah, we go way back," Baekhyun says. "But, uh, how do you two know each other?" 

 

Kyungsoo frowns, thinking back to their first meeting. He remembers the shopkeeper's assistant's fluctuating personality, the room in the back that couldn't possibly fit in that small building, but did somehow, and the strange conversation he and Tao had. "We had tea and cookies!" the raven-haired shopkeeper answers. 

 

"Kyungsoo's dog stumbled upon our store, and he was a little curious as to why his dog happened to venture there. We had a small talk, but Yifa--I mean, Kris, interrupted it, didn't he?" Kyungsoo confirms it. "Why don't we grab something to eat and have a chat?" Tao's charming smile led them to a nearby cafe where they sat and ordered coffee--well, everyone except Kyungsoo, who stuck to hot chocolate.

 

"So you used to take Chinese lessons from Tao?" Kyungsoo enjoys watching the shopkeeper force his housemate to remember certain Chinese phrases. Baekhyun's desperation for an escape was evident in the way he mouthed "help" every now and then. 

 

"I, um, I was...."

 

"He was looking at brochures for adoption centers around the world, and a particular one in China caught his eye." 

 

"Chinese is too difficult to learn," Baekhyun groans, throwing his head back. "I don't know how you mastered it in those few months you stayed there, Tao, beca--"

 

"You're not from China, Tao?" Kyungsoo was sure Tao and Kris were from China. Maybe they were mixed? 

 

Tao grits his teeth, internally smacking Baekhyun for slipping. "Kris and I were sent abroad ever since we were young because our parents wanted the best education for us. They are best friends and tend to make us do everything together, including running the antique shop. We returned several years ago to announce our decision, although it took some time to reconnect with our culture." 

 

Baekhyun let out a relieved sigh, sending an apologetic glance to his dear friend. How does he do it? It's like lying is his second language.

 

The trio chatted for nearly an hour before Tao reported that Kris was demanding him to return to the shop and Baekhyun decided it was time to give Chanyeol a break from babysitting. Baekhyun promised to visit them again soon as they parted ways, and Kyungsoo agreed to as well. 

 

"I'll be expecting you!" 

 

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo head back home, glowing from the hours they spent together. "We should do this again sometime," the older male suggests. "And maybe we could bring the other boys with us, too." The idea makes Kyungsoo speed up, eager to see his dog. 

 

But the two return home to see their boys napping peacefully, Chanyeol sprawled across the living room floor and Kai curled angelically on the couch. The house is spotless, to their surprise, and everything seems to be in place. 

 

"They must have had a hard time," Baekhyun whispers, pulling a thin comforter over his boyfriend's long body. "Aigoo, they're so tired! I wonder if they got along well."

 

Kyungsoo settles on the couch next to Kai, gently gathering him in his arms. Kai stirs and when he recognizes his owner, he shoots up to bark and at his cheek. "Hey, Kai! Did you miss me?" 

 

The sudden ruckus causes Chanyeol to awaken. He scrambles onto his feet to put Baekhyun between him and the dog as a barrier. "Stay back! I'm warning you! I have a weapon!" Baekhyun raises an eyebrow. "Do I even want to know what you were up to while we were gone?"

 

"He's a monster," Chanyeol hissed. "A terrible, terrible monster. Baek, he's worse than in his human form," he says in a hushed tone. "I'm serious, I don't think I can babysit him anymore! I'm scared, Baek! Do you know what he did the moment you guys left? You know what, I'm not even going to tell you because my man pride has been crushed, and it was just--look! Look at the way he's looking at me, Baek! Look at his eyes! They're taunting me. I bet he's laughing at me inside of his head!" 

 

"Come on, it couldn't have been that bad," Baekhyun disagrees, cooing at his boyfriend's childish complaints. He cups his cheeks and gives him a quick peck on the lips, patting his chest as he leaves to whip up something for dinner. Chanyeol follows him, wailing. "He tried to kill me, Baek! He--"

 

"Chanyeol?" Kyungsoo calls. "Can you teach me how to play this video game?" 

 

"Go," Baekhyun urges, pushing him out of the kitchen. Chanyeol whines and pouts. "But Jongin is in there!" 

 

"I said go! It's for our baby, Channie! it up like a man!" 

 

Chanyeol trudges to the living room, gulping as soon as he sees Kai resting in Kyungsoo's lap. Oh, having the time of your life rubbing up on my son, are you? We'll see about that. If you ever change back to a human, I am so going to make you regret today. 

 

"Is it the same as the game we played yesterday?"

 

"No, it's a little different. Here, let me show you." 

 

Halfway through the tutorial, Chanyeol has to lean over to physically move Kyungsoo's fingers to the correct buttons. Bad move. 

 

"BAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK," Chanyeol cries, running to the kitchen whilst holding his forefinger. "HE BIT ME!" Baekhyun pauses to investigate the wound, which was tiny, and he rolled his eyes as he gave in to the taller male's pleas to "Kiss my oo, Baek. Kiss it better!"

 

When Baekhyun has finished preparing dinner, he walks in to the living to an unusual sight. Chanyeol is sitting three feet away from Kyungsoo with bandaids on each of his digits. Kyungsoo's eyebrows are furrowed as he focuses on the game, eyes never blinking. Not even once. And Kai, still in Kyungsoo's lap, is watching Chanyeol, growling every time Chanyeol and Kyungsoo even so glance at each other. He spazzes whenever Kyungsoo leans over to ask Chanyeol for help, who nervously complies with shaky hands. 

 

Baekhyun sighs. 

 

So this is what having a family is like.

 

 

_________________________________________________________

Happy Lunar New Years, readers! Are any of you celebrating? I'm getting ready to head out to receive money and go to the temple in my áo dài, hehe. So this chapter is unedited. I'll come back and edit it later, but I just wanted to get it up before I'm too busy to do so tonight. 

Just wait a little more guys! I know you're dying of curiosity, but please just wait a little more. Answers are coming soon! Not the next chapter, but I promise you guys that the next one will be a little more interesting (maybe even more confusing), but it's critical to the plot. 

Until next time! <3