Step One

Just Have Faith

"This isn't fair."

"Maybe...but we did break the rules."

"Rules are meant to be broken."

"I'm pretty sure they're meant to be followed..."

In the hallway of Seoul Private High School, the Son twins--Dongwoon and Miteum--were on their knees, holding their arms up and bearing signs around their necks that read, "I yelled at the teacher." Miteum, the younger of the two, had fallen asleep in the middle of class and was unfortunately caught by the teacher. When the teacher asked why she was dozing off, Miteum defiantly replied that he had assigned too much homework the previous night, and so she only got an hour of sleep. Sternly, the teacher told Miteum she would have finished the assignment earlier if she didn't always waste her time with her "silly dancing," to which Miteum did not respond nicely.

Somewhere along the way, she called the teacher a "stubborn, fat-headed pig," and by then her older brother (by five minutes) tried to calm her down. However, in the heat of the moment, the teacher thought Dongwoon was encouraging the livid girl, so he sent both students outside the classroom.

"Didn't you just get into trouble yesterday for pulling some girl's hair?" Dongwoon sighed, glancing at his sister, who frowned and replied,

"She had it coming. You heard her talking about me. Geez, and I was being so good that day. She made me break my record!"

"Holding a record of staying out of trouble for eighteen hours isn't something to be proud of, Miteum..."

"It would've been longer if she hadn't opened !"

"NO TALKING!" the teacher yelled at the two from inside the classroom, which only succeeded in making Miteum roll her eyes. Looking up at her taller twin, Miteum whispered,

"You know that Mr. Kang gives us too much homework all the time. He's crazy. This whole school is crazy. And I know you don't like it, so why don't you ever say anything?"

Dongwoon briefly met his sister's piercing gaze, but soon looked away and didn't answer her question. After a few moments of silence, Miteum sighed softly and quietly murmured,

"You know...if we didn't have the same parents or look so much alike, I wouldn't think we were related."

The older twin looked down at the ground, feeling ashamed even though he knew his sister's words held no substance behind them. Miteum would always yell at him, but she never meant any of it. That was just her way of showing that she cared about her brother. But still...her words hurt.
 


~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ ==== ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ ==== ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~



"This is the fourth call I've received from your school, and it's only Wednesday," Mrs. Son tiredly said to her children. As soon as the twins had gotten home, they immediately sat down at the dining table, knowing this would happen. Mrs. Son continued,

"Miteum-ah... On Monday, you were late to school, later dropped your lunch on a student's uniform, and then you kicked a soccer ball at another student's face. And then Tuesday, you pulled another student's hair three hours later for reasons I don't even know. If you keep this up, they'll kick you out."

"Then let them!" Miteum exclaimed, setting all her frustrations free. "I don't like it at Seoul High, and neither does Dongwoon Oppa!"

Surprised, Mrs. Son turned to her usually-compliant son and asked, "Is that true..?"

Reluctantly, Dongwoon nodded, but he kept his eyes on the table in front of him.

"Why didn't you say something earlier?" Mrs. Son asked her two children with sad eyes. Calmer now, Miteum answered quietly,

"Because, Mom... You looked so happy when you told all our neighbours that we went to Seoul High. If we didn't go there anymore, then...then you wouldn't..."

"Wouldn't what? Be proud of you anymore?" Mrs. Son looked at Dongwoon and Miteum, who remained silent and kept their gazes on their hands in their laps. Walking around the table, the weary mother took her children into a tight embrace and made a futile attempt to scold them.

"You silly kids... It doesn't matter what school you attend. As long as my children are happy, I will always love you. Don't you ever think otherwise."

Miteum hugged her mother back, warm tears falling down her cheeks; even Dongwoon was about to cry. After a few moments, Mrs. Son pulled back, wiped her tears, and smiled, saying,

"That's enough crying. Now, let's find a school that you two will like, okay?"

Wiping their tears as well, Dongwoon and Miteum flashed identical grins and nodded in agreement.

The following Monday, the Son twins were in such a hurry to get ready that morning that Dongwoon almost choked on his breakfast, and Miteum was about to leave the apartment with her uniform vest on inside-out. As the two siblings were putting their shoes on, Mrs. Son asked them from the kitchen,

"Are you sure you don't want your father to drive you there?"

"It's all right," Dongwoon replied, standing up straight. Miteum stood up as well and added, "We're taking the bus."

Patting his sister's head, Dongwoon then assured, "We'll be fine, so you don't--"

"--Have to worry about us," the younger finished.

As they walked out the door, they blew kisses to their mother and recited in unison,

"We love you!"

 

 


School officially starts next chapter~ ^^ Sorry for the seemingly-pointless first chapter, but I think this chapter was really important for readers to understand these two's personalities.

AND, YES, I KNOW. A GIRL DONGWOON? Just imagine...less-defined jaw, shorter, and longer hair! xD;;; And if you can't already tell, I just adore twins~ The rest of BEAST will appear in the next chapter as well, so please look forward to it!

Comments are much appreciated~ Those of you who know me know that I reply to everyone's comments. As in, not a generic, "HEY THANKS FOR READING <333." I actually read your comments and try to reply to every bit of it. Haha. I'm just crazy like that. I value my readers so much; you guys are my motivation. Really.

Until next time~ ♪