Chapter 2

Forever my baby

Jonghyun lightly kicked open the door as he gently patted Kibum's head that was on his shoulder. He closed the door with one leg, only to freeze when the door slammed close. Jonghyun waited for the little boy to stir, but only received soft and light breathing. He sighed in relief and slowly made his way to the living room, careful not to wake the sleeping boy up. He gingerly knelt down in front of the couch and laid Kibum on his back.

He smiled when the boy tightly held onto his hand. The boy slowly pulled Jonghyun's hand towards him, using it as a pillow.

It was weird, really. An hour ago Jonghyun was cursing like there was no tomorrow but now he was looking at the small boy sleep. Am I turning bipolar? As Jonghyun chuckled at his 'silly' thought, Kibum whimpered in his sleep.

Jonghyun frowned and scouted closer to the trembling boy. "M-Mama... M-Ma... Ma..." The boy kept repeating. To make things worse, a lone tear slipped out of the boy's closed eyelids. He's having a nightmare... Jonghyun concluded.

Although he did it reluctantly, Jonghyun lightly shook the younger awake. The blonde boy stirred and opened his big feline eyes only to shoot up from his position and hug Jonghyun's neck. Jonghyun was slightly shock by the sudden hug but his features soften when he heard whimpers and sniffles. "Kibum?" Jonghyun whispered as he carried Kibum up and sat on the couch, placing the boy on his lap. "M-Mama said s-she would return for K-Kibummie... S-She would, right?" Kibum muttered as he rubbed his swollen feline eyes.

For some odd reason, Jonghyun felt a tug on his heart and he smiled sadly and the crying boy. "Hyung would be here for you even if she won't return so don't cry..." Jonghyun whispered softly, wiping the tears off Kibum's wet cheeks.

Blue and big round orbs stared at him before those seemingly cute eyes turned into crescents. "Ok!" Kibum shouted, a giggle erupting from his mouth. Jonghyun couldn't help but squeeze the boy's chubby cheeks. The boy then proceeded to lay his head on Jonghyun's wide chest, trying his very best to wrap his arms around Jonghyun's stomach.

The older of the two chuckled and wrapped his arms around the small boy before swinging the boy around the living room.

It was the first time Jonghyun felt happy.

Kibum clung onto the elder desperately while exploding into fits of laughter and giggles. Feeling that the room was spinning a little too much around him, Jonghyun decided to stop this little game of theirs and sat down on the sofa with Kibum's small and skinny back against his chest. Jonghyun felt small palms on his lap and looked down only to see Kibum moving to lay his head on them.

"Tired?" Jonghyun asked. Kibum hummed a reply and raised his head to reach out for Jonghyun's hand. He placed that warm and big hand below his head and smiled. "Do you like using my hand as a pillow?" Jonghyun asked he Kibum's blonde hair. "Mm. Hyung's hand is warm..." Kibum answered cutely.

Jonghyun smiled and lightly patted Kibum's back as he slept.

 


 

A week passed and everything couldn't get more perfect, accept one fact- Jonghyun still has to attend school.

Carrying two heavy files in his hands, Jonghyun walked down the familiar path home. The frown on his face lifted a little as he thought of Kibum who was waiting for him. My Kibummie. He grinned. He fastened his pace at the thought of seeing those precious dimples when he walks through the door.

Finally! Jonghyun thought. "Kibummie, hyung is home!" He shouted as he opened the door. He placed the files on a nearby table-stand. Seeing the whole living room empty, he frowned. "Kibummie?" He shouted again. This time, he heard some ruckus in the kitchen and a blob of blonde hair was flying towards him. "Hyung!" Came the overactive little boy. Jonghyun felt skinny arms wrapping around his middle and looked down to see Kibum grinning at him. 

There were flour on the boy's cheeks though, and that was what made Jonghyun frown. "Why is there flour on your cheeks, Bummie?" Jonghyun asked as he gently brushed the white powder of Kibum's cheek. Kibum didn't answer, instead he grinned and dragged Jonghyun in the kitchen. 

"What are you doing-... Oh, my god..." Jonghyun widened his eyes. Oh no... He thought. Staring at the heap of dishes in the kitchen sink, the pile of orangey paste on the white and fluffy carpet and the sprinkles on almost every single part of the wall, Jonghyun could feel range rising in him. "Do you like it, hyung?" Kibum asked as he smiled. 

Jonghyun rubbed his temples. "Kibum, why didn't you listen?" Jonghyun said seriously.

Kibum pouted. "I wanted to give you a surprise."

Jonghyun's blood boiled as seconds ticked by, though Kibum was oblivious to it.

"I told you to listen and stay away from trouble! WHY CAN'T YOU JUST LISTEN?!" Jonghyun screamed, slamming his fist on the nearby countertop.  

Kibum moved away as his eyes became glassy and he stared in confusion, hurt and mostly fear. "B-But hyung... I-It's your-" "I DON'T CARE WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME! JUST... JUST CLEAN UP THE MESS AND STAND AT A CORNER!" Jonghyun shouted and stomped back to his room in anger.

But there was one thing he missed- one very, very important thing.

Kibum let out a sob as he walked towards the kitchen sink to take a cloth. He squatted down and started cleaning the mess he made. His whole frame trembled as he tried to muffle the sobs. But eventually, he gave up. His cries rang through the whole apartment and he sobbed miserably.

Jonghyun leaned against his bedroom door as he listened to the heart-wrenching cries from the small boy. I think I was too harsh... 

And just like that, he stood in the room as Kibum cleared the mess in the kitchen all by himself. Jonghyun really wanted to go out, he wanted to wipe away Kibum's tears and tell him that everything was okay... But something in his mind stopped him.

Thinking that Kibum would have fallen asleep, Jonghyun opened the door and walked out. As expected, Kibum was curled on the couch in a fetal position and the kitchen was back to the original way it was. But something caught Jonghyun's eyes. On the table was a medium sized cake. Chocolate layered the cake and there was a handmade rose at the corner. Though it seemed... messy, Jonghyun was sure it wasn't bought. He walked nearer and noticed a small card beside it. 

'Happy Birthday, Hyung!' Was all it took for Jonghyun to widened his eyes and for tears to start gathering.

I was so angry I didn't notice the cake on the table... Jonghyun thought. Staggering towards the couch with tears, Jonghyun knelt down and Kibum's tear-stained skin only to realize the boy was trembling. 

He immediately felt a sense of guilt and gently, he gathered Kibum in his arms and brought him to his own room. He placed Kibum on one side and he slipped under the covers, wrapping his muscular arms around the trembling boy. And the next thing his heart so hard, he swore he felt his heart was torn into two.

"Jjongie... I-I'm sorry..." The boy mumbled in his sleep.