Will There Be Ever You and I? (ONE-SHOT)

Will There Be Ever You and I? (ONE-SHOT)

It's Me by Sunny and Luna


Will There Be Ever You and I?

The sun shone down brightly and I blocked it from hitting my face. My two best friends and I watched from the window down to the open field where a Physical Education class was going on. Our teacher was absent for the day and just left some activity to do but since I’m too lazy to do it, I just wrote it down on a piece of paper and do it at home.

The whistle was blown by their teacher that echoed to our room. The girl students sat along the bleachers and cheered as the boys of their class played soccer.

“Physical Education?” Minjae asked as she stood by my side. Nonchalantly, I nodded.

“What class is it?” Another friend of mine stood by my other side.

“I’m not sure,” I replied and started searching for someone I know and found some old classmates but yet, I don’t know what section they are this year so it was still no help at all. They nodded as they continued to watch.

My eyes scanned the whole field and at one side of the bleachers, I spotted one guy sitting, back facing me. I squinted my eyes and saw how his red highlights stood out under the sun’s rays. When I thought all the boys of that class played, there, he sat and I wonder why he didn’t join. For sure, the teacher-in-charge would not allow any student to be left behind.

“What are you looking at?” Kyunghee asked as she stood closer to me. My eyes blinked upon realizing I had been staring at the boy for a while now and I wasn’t even able to realize it until my friend unintentionally pointed it out to me.

“Him,” I said nodding to the boy’s direction. They turned to my line of view and nodded and paid little attention to it until the class president called our attention and ordered us to all sit down.

But I waited for a little while.

I don’t know why I’m so interested on that guy but maybe because of his hair that strikes a color of red, a thing I find different—it is, actually, for our school. As their teacher whistled to call time-out, he called the boy over, making me see how he looks likes as he stood up and walked.

Fair white skin, sharp eyes and jawline, and nose that seemed to be perfectly sculptured…

That was when I first saw him and when I thought I had seen the guy of my fairytale and my happy ever after.

~

I spun my pen in between my fingers as our teacher babbles on how lazy we are that not even half of the class was able to pass the given homework. I’m pretty sure that no one is listening to him—no one does, every time. If there will be, they are probably laughing in their heads and mocking him. I wanted to tell him that he’s just wasting the time he could’ve just used on teaching his subject but I know I can’t. That how it is, right? All you can do is shut up, if not, be branded as one of the rudest but coolest person in the campus.

I looked out the window and a familiar face came to view, walking with no care up the stairs. A smile crept up my lips before I even realized I was smiling. I admit I like him but I see him very seldom. My best friends said that he does look handsome and grew a little crush but said they’ll give him up for me. I know though that they were joking but not lying either. I just rolled my eyes at them.

Suddenly, he stops and my back straightened as he looked up and his eyes momentarily met mine before I looked away. I noticed the looks my best friends gave me but I only gave them a questioning look before they smirked. I know they know me too well.

The day dragged on until the bell rang for the last time for the day. My two friends approached me, nudging me and teasing me at the same time.

“What was it you were looking at?” Minjae asked as she sling her bag over her shoulder. Kyunghee did the same and they both stood in front of me, towering me and casting shadows over me.

“Did you even have to ask that? You know who,” Kyunghee said and I rolled my eyes.

“I got to get going. I still have some club meeting to attend to. I’ll see you girls tomorrow, uhm?” I said as I picked all my things up and give them a small smile which they returned with a teasing smile and a small wave.

“Araso. Bye! Take care!” They hollered and I gave them a small nod before I weave my way towards the hall where the meeting would be held.

The hall buzzed as around thirty to fifty students occupy it. I walked in letting my eyes wander in search of my other friends. I ran to them upon spotting them and they gave me a small smile and a greeting.

“What’s the meeting about?” I asked as I held the straps of my bag. I could hear the teachers shouting for us to keep quiet but the noise just volume a little down.

“I’m not really sure but I heard the associate of our club, you know, where the boys attend, and ours would be merging for some kind of competition,” Byul shrugged. I nodded in understanding before the head teacher came up and that’s when all kept quiet.

The teacher went on speaking and Byul was right. There was a merge that would happen. And it interests me. I glanced to the group of boys besides ours and my heart jumped as my stomach did a flip-flop. There he stood, his hair getting my attention again. His fringe was fixed upwards while the back was combed neatly in place.

“Hey, are you listening?” I snapped out of my trance as I turned to Hyunji.

“What?” I asked.

“Are you…staring just now?” She choked, obviously trying to hold in her laughter and I pinked. I shook my head and turned straight in front.

“I wasn’t,” I lied.

“Yes you are. Do you know him?” She asked. I shook my head.

“Not really,” I replied, blatantly.

“You like him, don’t you?” She teased and I furrowed my eyebrows.

“No,” I said though my cheeks said otherwise.

“I see. He does look handsome. Wait, you don’t mind I say that right?” She said and I shook my head and rolled my eyes. She smiled before we all turned to listen again just in time when the teacher said about a presentation.

For the next couple of days, our club had been meeting in the dance room right after school to practice and it was pretty tiring but I don’t really care because he was there. We are on water break and I see him sat on one corner while his friends fooled around.

“Hey,” someone plopped herself beside me.

“Oh?” I asked.

“I have something to ask,” she said and I nodded. “You don’t mind if I like him, right?” She said and I felt my heart drop but paid no attention to it and smiled.

“Of course not. He’s not mine to get started with. I’m fine with it. Why’d you even have to ask that?” I laughed although I hope it didn’t sound fake.

“Nothing. Just thought I should ask because you know, I know you like him,” she shrugged and I just smiled before a couple of our friends came and joined us.

“Let’s play something while waiting,” Minhee said ecstatically.

“What game?” Jangmi asked.

“Truth or dare but let’s all have dare!” She said happily and I just laughed. I don’t want to join but ended up joining because I was forced to.

We started playing until it was my turn. I was a little bit nervous since I know Hyunji knows I like Changjo as I heard his friends call him but she won’t let me do a dare that would make me get close to him, right?

“Throw Changjo a flying kiss!” Byul said and my eyes widened.

“Are you crazy? No way!” I said.

“Aw, please~ All of us did our dares so you should also,” Haeji said pouting. I sighed in defeat.

“Don’t worry, we’ll ask them to close their eyes,” Jangmi said, grinning. She’s the one closest to the guys so I know she was capable of asking them a favor like that, knowing that she’s the oldest of us here as well.

She approached the boys and the boys looked towards us and I felt someone gaze at me and I turned to see him and I pinked as I looked away. I hope it wasn’t too obvious. She gave me thumbs up after and the boys all closed their eyes, including him. In a fast movement, I blew a kiss towards his direction and the girls giggled while I felt so embarrassed.

Our trainer called us a little after but I still can’t get the image of him with his eyes close. I wonder if he knows it?

A few days after, I was able to know him through the few partner dance we do and it was funny how he was so awkward, talking to me always in a polite manner. I'm happy though because I’ve gotten to know him better.

~

It was late at night. I was asked to buy something from the nearby convenience store and so I went. Skipping happily, I entered the store and greeted the kind ahjussi before going through the racks of goods. I brightened when I found what I’ve been looking for and went to the counter to pay for it.

“You look happy. Something good happen?” And the times I spent with Changjo flashed in my mind and I smiled sheepishly at Mr. Jang.

“I think so,” I said and he smiled, nodding. He handed me the plastic of what I bought and I handed him the payment. I bowed before I left out the store, looking in the plastic to see if I’ve bought all I needed to when suddenly, someone bumped to me hard, making me drop the plastic and stumble backwards.

I winced in pain as the impact was too hard and the person looked back, panting. He uttered a sorry and when I looked up, I was surprised to see who it was. He was scarred and I forgot about how hurt I felt. It was replaced with worry.

“Changjo, what—“ A voice boomed in the street and he pulled me to a corner, clasping his hand over my mouth. I struggled to get out of his grip but he held me tight. His distance made my heart beat so fast and I wonder if he feels it because I could feel how his chest keep on going up and down as he breathe.

Shadows passed us and a minute later, he released me. I looked at him and can’t help but to glare.

“What do you think are you doing?” I asked.

“Sorry,” he said and for the first time, he looked helpless.

“Why are you running?” I asked, calmer now. He looked straight at me and I felt wobbly under his gaze. He bit his lip.

“I need to,” he said.

“Are they chasing you?” I asked. I waited for him to answer as his hair fall down above his eyes, trickling with sweat. He nodded. I let my curiosity aside as I looked out to see if the guys are gone and pulled him out the corner and to the convenience store. Mr. Jang looked surprised but nodded as he left his counter.

I let him sit.

“Wait for me here,” I said before I followed Mr. Jang to the back door.

“What happened?” He asked as he turned around, handing me a first aid kit. I shrugged.

“I’m also not sure,” I said and he nodded before I thanked him and I ran back.

I sat opposite of him, setting the kit on the table. I got the ointment and squeezed some on my finger.

“It’s okay,” he said but I gave him a stern look.

“Nothing’s okay,” I said. Carefully, I put ointment on his bruise and he flinched. “Sorry,” I said and he just nodded. My eyes trailed on his face as my finger softly in circling manner dab his bruise. I noticed how handsome he really looks like at this distance.

“Ah Neul?” My heart jumped as I retreat my hand back. I got a bandage and put it over his bruise.

“There. Sorry it took long,” I said closing the kit.

“No, it’s okay. Thank you,” he said and I softly smiled. I don’t want to scare him so I wait and let some silence cover us. I could see how troubled he is still as he looked out the store once in a while. I wonder why he was running and why he was chased.

“If you don’t mind,” I said. He turned to me. “Can you tell me what happened? Why you are running and chased?” I asked and he looked down. I wonder if asking him wasn’t the best choice and I started regretting it when he looked up and softly smiled, before beginning to tell me.

After his story that made me sad, I felt a short bliss of happiness as I know now that he trusts me.

"I hope it'll just be between us though," he said in a soft voice and I smiled, nodding.

"Yeah, promise," I said and he looked up and for the first time, he directed a genuine smile at me, only at me.

~

After that day, we became little closer. We now often exchanged greetings on the hallways. I kept his secret as promised. I was really shocked to know how his life goes as gangster. He explained to me how he really didn’t want to be one but it just happened for some reason. I began to like him more for some reason I don’t know and I’m not sure about.

Days went by and as it went by, I didn’t know that Jangmi had already introduced Hyunji to Changjo and later I noticed that the whole club kept on teasing them and how much it hurts, I joined them in teasing and Hyunji gives me an apologetic look but I assure her it was alright. It circulated around that Changjo do likes her but it never did come from Changjo and I know he would tell me if he do because we’re close like that and he gives me this hope I don’t know if I should even have.

He doesn’t mention me anything about girls and the likes when we talk and I really don’t mind although I do get curious at times especially after that rumor.

All the while, whilst trying to deny the fact that Changjo doesn’t like her in that way, with the way he acts around her, I know he does. I can’t help but notice. His shyness, his looks, I just know. Now I start to hate how I’ve gotten so close to him to the point that I could tell those kinds of things and be sure. Denying won’t help, I know. It would just hurt me more.     

I shouldn’t even feel hurt because the moment Hyunji told me she likes him, I’ve already given him up to her but maybe, because I let myself to get misled by his actions, I started to think otherwise. It was so stupid of me.

I should have known all this while. Changjo is too much for me. He’s handsome, talented, and smart while I’m no one. I could never wish he would like me back but still did, hoping. Hyunji is as perfect as he is and no wonder he would like a girl like her. I don’t stand a chance.

~

“Ah Neul!” I froze as I heard a familiar voice call me as I walked the street to my house after school. I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I turned and smiled.

“Hey,” I said, trying to lighten up my mood after what I’ve heard this afternoon, just before I went home.

“Are you…okay?” He asked and I softly punched him on the shoulder and I wonder if I shouldn’t have because it sent butterflies to my stomach once I touched him.

“Of course. Why wouldn’t I?” I asked and he softly smiled. We started walking. His house was on the way so that’s why he joined me. We often do this since we get home late with all the practices. “Why are you here, by the way?”

“Huh?” He asked, looking my way and I shook my head.

“Nothing,” I said in a soft voice.

I could see that he has something to say and I know I rather not hear it for the nth time today but I couldn’t continue like this or else I would have to lose our friendship as well.

“Something to say?” I asked, cocking my head.

“Uh, yeah…” He said rubbing the back of his neck.

“Let me guess,” I said putting a finger on my lips. “Is it about a girl?” His cheeks pinked and I felt my heart break but still put on a smile. He nodded. “A girl you like?” He nodded again. “Love?” He nodded again before I felt him look at me. He opened his mouth to say something but I smirked and interrupted him. “I know. It’s pretty known, you know,” I said and I hope the sadness didn’t get too obvious. “Congratulations,” I clapped and he smiled.

“Thanks,” he muttered and I could see how embarrassed he is. We continued to walk as he narrated what happened and even though it hurt me, I listened and just hoped this is just one of those heartbreaks that would pass soon.

I bid bye to him as soon as I reached our house and he nodded, waving before he walked away to his home. I sighed as I turned and opened the gates and went inside.

That night, I decided to let out all my feelings through SMS because I know he wouldn’t see it. It was one of my unknown account only a few of my friends knows. As I let out all I wanted to say, I didn’t expect someone to comment and mention me and it made me smile. It was his reply to one of my tweets about me being ugly and everything.

“You’re beautiful” I silently laughed before I said that I am not and we argued about it. Even Kyunghee commented about it.

“There are many fishes in the sea!” Kyunghee said and she’s right.

I shouldn’t let this one heartbreak get into me. I still have so many years to live and there are so many boys out there to know. Maybe there’s a guy a really meant for me. Who knows, maybe better.


Sorry if it looks rushed. I'm going to try to edit it and make it more interesting. Still, thank you for paying interest on in! :)

'Til next time!