Afternoon Soccer Match

Afternoon Soccer Match

It was so quick.  He didn't even have time to register it had even happened.  For the briefest of moments, the other's lips touched his cheek, laying the lightest of kisses there, then pulled away so swiftly as though nothing had happened.

He was in shock.

They spent very little time together, even though he knew the other held feelings for him, and this was one of the few moments they could share alone together. It was the beginning of fall, where it was still excessively hot during the day despite a slight chill coming in on the wind from the north. They had been playing soccer at a location far from anyone who would recognize them, to the point where both had grown tired and sweaty. They had seated themselves on the warm grass, their hands close enough to almost touch, blades of grass caught between their fingers. They had been laughing at nothing and everything, looking at each other and knowing each other's thoughts -- they were laughing at this secret knowledge. They had known each other for so long and so little, but quickly grew fond.

And he, without even realizing it, had slowly fallen in love with the one he had just played soccer with, the one that had just kissed him so swiftly and sweetly.

He raised a sweaty, grass-stained palm to touch the spot that still felt warm from the gentle touch. He looked at the other, his face a mass of questions he could never fully articulate. He was flustered and he knew it.

The other simply smiled, having accomplished his goal. "You're blushing," he said with a laugh.

"No, I'm not!"

"Yes, you are, and it suits you!" The other boy moved in closer to his friend, laying a gentle kiss at the corner of his friend's mouth, a smile hinted at his lips.

The touch seemed to last longer and he froze instantly at the sensation of lips so close to his own.  When the other boy pulled his lips away, he looked to him with wide eyes. "Lu Han..."

The boy called Lu Han looked at his friend with a curious expression, only to have it be wiped away by a cheeky grin. Lu Han shoved his friend in the arm, causing the boy to become off balance and land in the grass on his back. Lu Han giggled, "You said my name so strangely." He looked down to his comrade, "I want you to do it again."

"What if I don't want to?"

Lu Han hummed. "I won't kiss you again."

The boy who lay on the grass laughed. "You've already kissed me twice!"

"That doesn't mean I can't kiss you again," Lu Han pouted.

Laughter was the response for a moment as the boy looked up at the sky. It was surprisingly clear and the sun was starting to dip itself towards the horizon. He wondered how late it was getting. If they returned home, they wouldn't be able to be like this for a while. He wondered if that was why Lu Han was being so forthright. He repeated as best he could, "Lu Han..."

The other boy came and straddled himself over his friend, looking down at him as a lover should. "Minseok," he said slowly, using the boy's real name as he rarely did in front of others. Nicknames were meaningless in situations like these.

Minseok, surprised at his name being said so openly, parted his lips to say something, but no words were formed. Before he could utter a syllable, his lips were trapped by Lu Han's delicate ones. Again, the boy froze for a second in surprise, but soon found himself engulfed in the moment. A wash of feelings he had suppressed for so long crashed over him. He wrapped his arms around Lu Han's body, pulling him downward, closer to him. Both boys were hungry for each other, wanting to let out emotions they had been forced to hide for too long.

But it ended too quickly when they heard their names being called from a distance. They immediately ended their kiss, looking into each other and realizing just how short a time it had been. To them, it was a small eternity, but to the outside world it had been swift. Minseok's heart beat rapidly in his chest. Lu Han smiled, though it seemed regretful, and he pulled himself off of his friend. He stood and offered Minseok his hand, which was gladly taken and the boy was pulled off the grass. Far at the other end of the soccer fields, arms waved and called their names. They were too far away to see what they had been doing, much to their relief.

Lu Han picked up their soccer ball and took up his friend's hand. "I guess it's time to go." There as a bit of sadness in his tone.

Minseok wrapped his soft fingers around Lu Han's elegant hand and whispered something he had never thought he would say to another male: "I love you."

A squeeze of the hand was met with the quietest of replies: "I love you, too."

Hand in hand, Lu Han smiled at Minseok, a grin that meant he was planning something, and he soon rushed off towards their waiting friends. Hand in hand, they ran towards the end of the soccer fields -- the end of their only intimate time together. By Lu Han's smile, Minseok could tell that he had more plans in the future, but for now, they both seemed content with the occasional weekend afternoon soccer match and the possibility of more kisses.