Chapter 2

Make Your Own Decisions

Chanhee is kind of an idiot.

Actually, “kind of” isn’t the proper term. More like he is an idiot. And yet the guy wants to become a teacher— a math teacher no less! He’s been studying nonstop so far this year and his efforts are… kind of starting to show.

Poor guy still needs a lot of work, which is why he’s been studying with our dear Minsoo three nights a week.

Unlike Chanhee, Minsoo is incredibly smart. He plans on becoming a pediatric doctor, but he won’t tell anyone why. It’s probably just some really depressing story that he’ll reveal like halfway through the story after he and Daniel have a fight or something.

I dunno.

Foreshadowing is dumb.

***

Minsoo sighed for the nth time that night when Chanhee, instead of answering the math problem, only stared blankly at the page with some far-off look for a good five minutes.

“Perhaps you should just teach kindergarten, Chanhee,” Minsoo said as he wrote a different and much easier problem. “That way you AND the students can learn new things!”

“Shut up!” Chanhee crossed his arms and stuck his tongue out. “Hyung,” he added in rather late.

Rolling his eyes, Minsoo slid the paper over to Chanhee. “Alright, this problem is very, very easy, Chanhee. Can you—“

“ELEVEN!”

“What? No! Chanhee, what is three plus six?!”

“That’s a six? I… I thought it was an eight…”

There it was again. Chanhee had a problem with mixing up numbers, but lately Minsoo had noticed he mixed up many things like left and right and different letters.

 At first Minsoo wondered if Chanhee had ever even learned those things, so he spent a whole week of studying going over the alphabet, numbers, and spent a good amount of time trying to help Chanhee distinguish left from right.

Their "studying" had gone to waste, obviously.

But now Minsoo had another idea. It was quite possible that Chanhee—

“Hyung, you’re doing that weird thing where you stare at people while you think. And your phone is ringing, by the way.”

Coming back to Earth, Minsoo noticed a number of people glaring at him as his phone rang loudly in the silent library. “Sorry,” he whispered.

He grabbed his phone and ran out of the library, stopping in the hallway to answer his phone. “Yeah, Byunghun-ah?”

“Wha— How did you know it was me?! Ah, never mind. I think Daniel and Jonghyun are terrorizing their new roommate and I figured that you and Chanhee should go check up on them,” Byunghun explained hurriedly.

“Can’t you just check on them? Chanhee and I are studying.”

“No way! That Changhyun kid hates my guts and I’d rather not get beaten up or anything!”

Minsoo sighed. Again. “Fine, but you owe us, wimp.” Without waiting for a reply Minsoo ended the call and went back into the library to get Chanhee. The two left quickly and ran for their dorm building.

Changhyun was a familiar name to both Chanhee and Minsoo. They couldn’t exactly pinpoint where they heard the name from, but they were just about to find out.

***

"WOULD YOU LET ME GO?!"

"Nah, you're kinda cute like this. Besides, here in this room, personal space is a foreign word, so get used to it, buddy!"

"I DON'T GIVE A CRAP JUST LET ME GO FOR GOD'S SAKE!"

"What? Sorry, I can't hear you~"

"LET ME GO YOU DUMBA--"

"Daniel hyung, you should probably let him go before his head explodes..." Jonghyun advised, although he was pretty amused too. "It kinda looks like it will. It's all red."

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT? I'M PISSED OFF!"

Daniel laughed and released the poor new roommate, much to his relief. He cursed under his breath and brushed a bit of... something off his suit. "Westwood," he said slowly, gesturing at his suit.

"What's Westood?" Jonghyun whispered into Daniel's ear.

"No idea. Must be some rich guy brand," Daniel whispered back, then nudged Jonghyun in the side and tilted his head to the side a bit, trying to get Jonghyun to look at the new kid without saying anything.

Jonghyun looked, and then stifled a laugh when he saw the kid try to sneak a teddy bear out of his suitcase. He walked up behind the new kid and placed a hand on his hip, grabbing the teddy bear from him when he froze. "A teddy bear? Really?" Jonghyun chuckled, stepping away and holding it up and out of reach from the new kid.

"G-give it back!" he cried, looking more scared than angry as he jumped up to try and reach it. "It's old! You'll tear her!"

Noticing the outright fear on the new kid's face, Jonghyun smiled and handed it back to him. "Sorry," he said quietly, eyes flickering back down at the teddy bear clutched tightly in the new kid's arms. "Didn't think it was so important to you."

"Yeah, well, it is, so don't touch her or I'll kill you."

Jonghyun had a feeling the new kid was pretty serious about his threat. Why was that bear so special, though? It definitely was old; an eye was missing and replaced with a button; one ear had a tear and the other was completely gone; an arm was stitched back on, limp from all the stuffing gone. Not to mention how faded the bear was, probably from the countless times it had been in the washer.

Perhaps he...? Nah... There's no way that would be it.

The door suddenly burst open and Chanhee fell into the room, right onto his face. Minsoo stepped right over him and looked around, then locked his eyes on the new kid.

"Oh my God," was all he said.

***

The five friends sat scattered around the dorm room, voices hushed as they talked.

"So he's seriously...?" Daniel trailed off. Minsoo nodded and leaned in closer, lowering his voice even more.

"Yeah, he's the Yoo Changhyun. The son who's going to eventually inherit his father's multi-million company."

"Wait wait wait, doesn't he have an older brother though?" Chanhee asked.

"He did. Nobody knows what happened to him. He just kind of dropped off the face of the earth," Minsoo explained, "and ever since Changhyun's the future CEO. It must , having so much pressure on yourself... He's only seveteen, I think."

"Eighteen, actually. And quit talking like I'm not in here," came Changhyun's voice from the top of the bunk bed.

"Why are you here, anyway?" Byunghun wondered aloud. He quickly covered his mouth when he realized he spoke his thoughts, and groaned when Daniel punched him in the shoulder.

Changhyun looked over the railing of the bed, glaring down at the five. "None of your business," he snapped, then to his side and clutched his teddy bear close. "It's late. I'm tired. Shut up."

Not wanting to anger Changhyun any farther, Minsoo, Byunghun, and Chanhee bid the other two a quick goodnight and left. A few minutes later the lights went out. 

A few more minutes later a small light from Changhyun's bunk .

"Scared of the dark?" Jonghyun whispered as he stared up at the bottom of Changhyun's bunk. Daniel stirred in his bed and let out a loud snore, already asleep.

Changhyun hesitated. "Y-yes," he finally mumbled. "You better not say anything though."

Chuckling, Jonghyun got up and went into the bathroom, turning on the light and closing the door halfway so the bedroom wasn't as dark. He winked at Changhyun before climbing back into bed. "No worries. Turn that off, alright? You'd never sleep with that near your eyes."

He got not response, just the click of the light Changhyun had going off. Still, it was pretty satisfying he even listened to him, so Jonghyun didn't say anything else. Instead, he rolled onto his stomach and buried his face in the pillow, feeling himself getting sleepier and sleepier.


A/N: okay okay don't kill me but i've decided that changji and rickjoe are gonna be endgame because they're my otps, but chunjoe and changrick will DEFINITELY still pop up later in the story. i promiseee. ;u;