Chapter 2

Be Mine

“Yah! You’re still doing it wrong fishy!”

“What’re you talking about? I’m doing it exactly how you told me to, and even if I wasn’t.. who’s to say there’s a wrong way to dance?”

“It’s wrong if it’s supposed to be a fixed routine!”

A snicker was heard, followed by a few seconds of silence and then a whack, “Ow!”

“You’re doing it on purpose aren’t you?”

“Why would you think that Hyo? I’m only here to help you practice~”

The playful tone in his response was hard to miss and Hyoyeon narrowed her eyes at him. He grinned at her and she turned her head away trying to hide the smile that threatened to appear.

“I knew it! Stop pretending to be angry and just admit it; you think it’s funny~”

“Trying to distract me while we’re supposed to be learning a dance that I have to perform in a few days is definitely not funny.”

He cracked a smile at her response, “You can be really stubborn, you know that?”

In the last few days he’d spent with her during the late night rehearsals, he’d come to recognize her moods more effectively than he ever had before. He‘d be able to tell with ease if she was actually upset at something, and as much as she tried resisting his charms, he knew it was only a matter of time before she gave in and laughed at what she called his ‘childish antics.’

Big words coming from a choding herself.

Maybe that’s why their sudden partnership seemed more like a play date than a required run-through of difficult dances.

Hyoyeon was an easy going person who wore her heart on her sleeve and so was Donghae. It was a refreshing thing for both of them to spend a few hours together after long days of tedious schedules, and they definitely made the best of that time.

Before they knew it their friendly banter naturally escalated to playful exchanges and flirtatious teasing. And although it was an unexplored stage in their friendship, Donghae wasn’t complaining—he actually quite liked it.

“Can I ask you something Hyo?”

“You just did.”

“I’m serious! I’ve been wondering something...”

Hyoyeon turned to face him from her sitting position on the floor, “Ok, shoot.”

“When was the last time you had a boyfriend?”

The question caught her completely off guard and she started turning pink as she tried wracking her mind for an answer.

“You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to,” Donghae quietly interjected.

“No! It’s not that-” How was she supposed to tell him that she was as inexperienced in love as one could get? She wasn’t even sure she wanted him to know. Sure there’d been a few crushes… but that’s as far as it ever went. She was too chicken to ever do anything about it.

Ultimately sensing her internal dilemma, Donghae decided to change the subject. He cleared his throat, “I have a suggestion. If I stop messing around would you let me show you something?”

Hyoyeon was confused, but somewhat thankful, at his abrupt shift in conversation and proceeded to nod her head. “Sure.”

Upon hearing her words, Donghae spun around and jogged towards the table containing the stereo system. He turned up the blaring music and proceeded to walk back to Hyoyeon, who was sitting in the middle of the room.

She wondered what he was up to and her hazel eyes followed his every movement until he was back at her side. His right hand reached out and took hers as he smiled down warmly at her. She gently smiled back as he helped her up from the hard floor.

He twirled her slowly and she couldn’t help the soft laugh that escaped her— leave it to Donghae to try a slow couple dance when the music was anything but.

Hyoyeon couldn’t help but wonder what had gotten into him. He was acting strangely affectionate again and despite her best efforts of trying to decipher his unusual behavior, her brain seemed to have gone blank.

She felt him shift his hold and her eyes widened slightly when his other hand placed itself on the small of her back and pulled her closer. After a while, her arms found themselves lightly hugging him and her head instinctively tilted in order to rest on his shoulder. She could smell the aromatic soap he’d used and for the first time in a long time, her heart began racing for reasons other than dancing.

The atmosphere wasn’t the same anymore— it didn’t feel like just a simple dance between two friends anymore.

Donghae’s arms finished wrapping themselves around her much smaller frame and they swayed to an unheard song for a few more moments before slowing to a halt. Hyoyeon stayed motionless in his embrace, trying to think of what to do next when there was a shuffling noise outside of the doorway.

Startled, they both whirled their heads toward the sound. No one was there.

Hyoyeon sighed in relief and at that moment reality hit. Donghae realized that his brash actions could very well land them both in hot water with their management. Being so close to other idols was against the rules, especially idols of the opposite . If they got caught in a compromising situation of any sort, they’d get the third degree.

With great reluctance he let her go, and as her gaze travelled to his eyes he cupped her face between his hands. “Mianhe,” he breathed out apologetically and slowly pulled her forward to place a chaste kiss on her forehead.

Then without another word he hurriedly turned, grabbed his things and left-- leaving a disconcerted Hyoyeon standing in the room by herself.

-------------------------------------------------------

With his feet dragging, he walked into his room and threw himself onto his bed with a heavy thump. He groaned loudly into his pillow and then rolled onto his back before glaring at the ceiling. Despite running out of the practice room like hell, he still couldn’t get Hyoyeon out of his mind. Today had been a tiring and confusing day, and he couldn’t think of a single plausible explanation for what he’d done earlier.

What was going on with him? He’d agreed in helping Hyoyeon with the dance routine because no one else could. Eunhyuk was busy with his MCing duties with Leeteuk, Shindong had his radio show to host, and even Sungmin was away doing recordings for some show or other.

So being the only dancer left and not wanting to leave Hyoyeon hanging, he offered himself—at least until her real partner, Yunho, came back from his overseas concert.

Speaking of which, how did the lucky bastard manage to score not one, but several y dance solos with none other than SM’s dancing queen? It was truly a wonder.

Maybe they were secretly dating… nah, that couldn’t be it. He would’ve heard of something by now if that were true.

Whatever the reason, Donghae couldn’t ignore the protective streak in him trying to seep through whenever he thought of Hyoyeon and Yunho together.

He better not think about taking advantage of the situation and try making a pass at her.

Propping his arms behind his head, he began wondering how many members of the male population envied Yunho during those dance performances. He could think of a few potential idols right off the top of his head.

Though not him of course-

Dammit. Who was he kidding?

Hyoyeon’s charisma as a dancer was undeniable. Her body had a language of its own—one that very easily drew people in, especially those of the opposite .

It’d obviously worked on him.

Donghae felt the urge to facepalm when he thought of Hyoyeon’s extreme attractiveness being lost on him this whole time. He really could be clueless sometimes.

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you guys soooo much for the support! I got an overwhelmingly greater response for the story

than I had hoped for! I'm not gonna lie... it's a little intimidating, but I'm very happy

nonetheless! I hope it lives up to your expectations and that you enjoy my story!

Also, all comments are appreciated! Even if it's just to correct me

on any mistakes (as long as it's not rude)! :)