How Typical?

Catching Fallen Stars

Another day at school. Another day... Same routine waiting for you. School. Homework. Eat. Sleep. You had enough.

 

The breeze blew against your skin and your silky hair. You had finallly combed out those nasty tangles. Thank goodness! Something might have been growing in your hair if you hadn't brushed it sooner. It was, truthfully, a ball of mess this morning and it took about thirty minutes for you to actually brush it enought for it to be acceptable.

 

As the wind picked up its speed, you felt the hood over your head fall back so you quickly covered back your hair. Walking to and from school was a pain and you did not know why you ever did it. Maybe it was the walks that made each of your days more unique. You really didn't know. You just knew that these walks to and from school was a time to get you thinking. Your own time to get untangle your thoughts, just like untangling your hair in the morning.

 

The wind finally stopped blowing as you reached an intersection. Not many cars were wizzing by and you could have crossed but you thought otherwise. Why rush? You weren't in a hurry. Normally at school you would speedwalk to each class but after school you didn't care. Actually, instead you didn't cross the intersection at all. You decided to turn left, a detour to your home so that you could stop by at a nearby park.

 

The park was deserted today. You had just finished unpacking your schoolbooks and pencils to do homework there. The sun shined brighty down your face and the puffy white clouds dotted the beautiful, blue sky. You squinted your eyes for a moment, then decided to open them bigger to take in the beauty. You eyes soon adjusted to the brightness and you found yourself humming a song to go perfectly with the sunny day. "Somewhere over the rainbow..."

 

At that moment you wished you had your guitar to accompany your lonely voice. The park was quiet and your singing was all that could be heard along with some trees rustling. You closed your eyes and opened your senses, taking in the beautiful scene of nature right before you. Before you knew it, the sun was gone and was replaced by the moon.

 

You woke up peacefully, thankful for a wonderful nap and adding a mental note to yourself that this park is a good place to nap. You didn't realize that a dog was right beside you until it your face.

 

"What? Why is this dog here?" You scanned the area for it's owner. Seeing no one, you decided to pet the big dog.

 

"What's your name, big guy?"

 

The dog didn't respond and just looked at you with curiosity. Crickets chirped occasionally and the silence filled the atmosphere. The dog swiftly turned to run to a nearby tree where a boy stood, smiling and holding a flashlight. He looked to be in his late teens or early twenties. You weren't sure because of the darkness.

 

"I didn't know anyone would be here at night," he said nonchalantly.

 

You starred at his figure, trying to figure out who he was. Chances were that he was from your school. You didn't recognize him, of course, since you barely talked to people at school.

 

"Setachi, come here boy!" He called out to his dog and together they walked to where you were sitting. He glanced at you with his left eye and quickly turned away, as if he were secretly smiling at you. You didn't know if that was a good and bad thing. All you knew was that you felt awkward with him.

 

"Who are you?" You finally decided to ask.

 

He ignored your question. Instead he said, "If you're looking for a new hideout, you've found it."

 

"I wasn't looking for a new hideout. I just slept here by mistake."

 

"You're that girl, aren't you? That one that always sits in the back and gives the cold shoulder to everyone. You're that girl that never raise your hand to speak what's on your mind. Aren't you that girl who's in every single one of my classes yet does not even recognize me today."

 

"I don't care. Honestly. Why does it matter? Why should I speak to people I don't even like?"

 

"Because you blame them for your unhappiness even though you don't know them," he said quickly. "Don't you realize that you can't go on like this. You don't know your classmates names, you don't care who's your friend and who's not your friend, you don't care about others because you're always giving them the cold shoulder."

 

"Why does it matter to you that I don't care? You don't know me."

 

"It's true. I don't know you. And yeah, I'm acting like I do know you right now because that's the only thing I can do. You don;t let anyone get close to you or get to know you. You're like some foreign planet that no one can get a hold of. Tell me why. Tell me why you think it's okay for you to miss out on some awesome people because you won't give them a chance to connect with you."

 

You sighed. "I'm giving you a chance right now."

 

"I know."

 

"Let's not talk about this, Lay."

 

"Wait, you know who I am?"

 

"Now I know. You're that guy who sits next to me in almost every single class. Don't you have the same last name as me? Zhang? I recognize your voice now."

 

He smiled upwards at the starry sky. "I've been watching you for a long time."

 

"How long?" You said casually.

 

"About 2 months. You're really hard to catch, you know?"

 

"I know."

 

"I want to know why, you know that?"

 

"I know."

 

"So..."

 

"I'll tell you why. It's not because I blame other people who my faults, it's not because I don't care about other people, it's people that I'm afraid of. Letting yourself become attached to a person. I can't do it. So I'm not even going to take the first step."

 

"You mean you exclude yourself from people because you don't want to become attached to them? What about just making friends?"

 

"In the end, everyone is alone. There's nothing you can change about that. Just like the millions and billions of stars up there," you pointed towards the billions of stars glittering the dark sky, "One day one person will leave and the next and the next, leaving yourself alone. I'm just looking forward to the future."

 

"If I tell you that I want to become closer to you, what would you say?" Lay lied down on his back and his hands served as a pillow for his head. You lay next to him.

 

"I would say 'don't waste your time on me.' I'm already used to being alone. I like having just my own ideas to think about. Complicated?"

 

"No. I completely understand. But I'm going to keep trying to become close to you until you open up to me. You're worth it," Lay said as he looked deep into the stars.

 

"Now why is that? I'm a conceited, careless girl with no social life. I had no social life, I have no social life, and I will not have a social life because I don't want one. I'm hopeless, Lay. Just leave me and my mind. I want to admire the sky as long as I can."

 

"See? This not right. No matter who you are you can't just live up in the clouds. Each day just daydreaming and thinking to yourself. Life is to short to live in the fantasy world for every single second. Enjoy your life while you can."

 

"Lay, you sound like a fortune cookie."

 

"Well at least you have a some humor in you."

 

"So what do you really want from me?"

 

"I want to transform you. Give me a month. Just one month. If it doesn't work, go back to your fantasy world deep in your mind of whatever," he laughed as he said the last part, "but if it does work, stay in the real world with me. It really is your choice."

 

"Why me? Why are you helping me out?"

 

"You're interesting. There's something that sets you apart from other people. Maybe it's your careless atitude. Maybe it's not you at all. Maybe I just want to catch a fallen star.