An Unexpected Change of Heart - Chapter Seven

An Unexpected Change of Heart

 

Schedules were back to normal the next day, the whole of SHINee and F(x) were busy. Amber was thankful to have something to take her mind off things. But that didn't mean she wasn't finding it hard to concentrate, because she was. She was finding it really hard.

They were recording a song she had written, Beautiful Stranger, so she needed to be focused because she was pretty much in charge of everything but she kept on day dreaming and letting her mind wander as Luna and Krystal recorded.

Her mind kept on wandering to thoughts of the night in the park with Onew, how concerned and worried he sounded and how tightly he held her when she cried. She loved it, being able to think for even just a second that there was a chance that the feelings she felt were returned. But, no, it was just him caring for one of his dongsaengs wasn’t it? Of course it was. She sighed, feeling stupid for thinking of anything different.

"Unnie?" Krystal asked from within the recording booth. When Amber didn't respond Krystal moved closer to the mircrophone and shouted the daydreaming girl's name "YAH!! Amber!"

This made the girl jolt out of her thoughts and nearly fall out of her chair before glaring at the two girls in the recording booth, her eyes narrowed and showed she was obviously unimpressed by the sudden scared but Krystal just laughed and shook her head.

"Come on Unnie, did that sound okay?"

Amber nodded mutely, her glare slowly fading. She didn't hear all of the recording but what she did hear sounded perfect to her. She pressed the replay button and played the part through before nodding and standing up.

"Yeah, that's great. Now I need to get my part down"

As she spoke Krystal and Luna put their headsets down and left the recording booth. Krystal smiled at her unnie before speaking.

"Try not to let your mind wander while recording your bit hmm?"

Amber laughed sarcastically as she headed into the booth herself.

"Haha, very funny" Amber retorted blandly as she put her headphones on and lined up with the mic. She may be a bit vacant today but she wasn't going to mess up her own recording. Everything was calm and peaceful in the studio. There was no one to confuse her, no one to make her feel like she was going to throw her heart up (namely Onew), she was fine and she was relaxed. She nodded to herself as the music started. She was fine.

She was recording perfectly, her eyes closed as she concentrated on the music and on reciting the words in tune while pronoucing it all correctly. She had a lot to concentrate on, so much so that she didn't notice when the door to the studio opened and Onew and Key entered. Which was surprising as any entrance involving Key was never quiet.

Krystal looked over to the door when it opened and smiled at who she saw, Key was staying true to the plan they thought of. SHINee had a couple of free hours in between schedules so they both decided to get Onew to come to the studio while they were recording. Seeing how Amber and Onew interacted or even how he reacted to listening to her record could give them some much needed hints into Onew feelings, if there were any.

"Key oppa, Onew oppa, what a surprise!" Luna said happily as she hugged them both "what are you doing here? Aren't you busy today?"

Onew didn't respond to the question. Instead the three of them, Key, Krystal and Luna, found Onew staring at Amber through the glass between the studio and recording booth, watching intently as she rapped and ran the lyrics off her tongue full of emotion. He was completely transfixed by the image the young rapper was creating, unable to tear his eyes away.

She looked...beautiful, he had no other word for it. He had always thought the younger girl was pretty, that she looked beautiful in her own way, ever since the first time he saw her, but he had never seen this before. He had never seen her concentrating so hard, wanting so badly to reach perfection and obviously being so proud of the song she wrote. He could hear it on her voice, in the energy she put into the words, she was proud and he was proud too.

He smiled softly as he kept watching, amazed how this girl could be crying her eyes out only a couple of day ago but, despite that, can seem so strong now. She was stronger than any other girl he had ever met. It was so rare that anyone saw her cry at all.

He was shaken out of his thoughts when Key waved his hand in front of his hyung’s face, making the older man blink a few times and bring his thoughts back to where he was. He saw Luna looking confused and Key smirking while Krystal was smiling like she had won the lottery. Key’s and Krystal’s expressions were worrying him to say the least, they had something planned and he could tell. It was never good when those two teamed up.

The music suddenly faded out and Amber stopped rapping, bringing Onew’s attention back to the girl behind the glass. Amber’s eyes opened slowly and she looked up, ready to ask her dongsaengs if her recording was okay while mentally congratulating herself as she felt she had done well. But, when her eyes met Onew’s she squeaked, bringing everyone else’s attention to her too and Krystal giggled as they all watched Amber stumble back, get her feet tangled into the cords for the microphone and headphones, and fall back onto the floor with a loud thump and a quiet, restrained, whimper.

Onew was opening the door between the two rooms before Amber had even hit the ground, hearing Krystal’s giggle cut short when Amber fell and Luna’s gasp behind him. He knelt down next to her and helped her sit up as he carefully took the headphones off her head, sighed softly as he did so.

“What are we going to do with you hm?” He reached down and untangled the wires around Amber’s legs before looking up at her “are you okay?”

Amber was blushing lightly, it was hard not to noticed. Amber couldn’t help it, she had just acted like a complete idiot. She wasn’t expecting Onew to be there and was definitely not expecting him to be looking right at her like that. His eyes were almost burning into her, she blushed a little darker as she remember just how intense his gaze was before nodding at his question. She was fine, maybe a couple of bruises but that was easy to deal with. Onew stood and helped her up, hearing Krystal’s voice over the speakers in the room.

“Amber are you okay?”

Amber nodded again, mutely, but squeaked again, louder this time, when Onew started brushing her down of imaginary dust, his hands running over her sides and stomach through her clothes like he didn’t even realise the effect it was having on her. Her face was bright red and felt hot from the sudden rush of blood and she could feel her heart beat in her ears. What was he doing!?

She closed her eyes as she felt him come in closer, his lips pursing slightly as he moved in. She was panicking on the inside, having no idea what he was doing, but trying to seem calm as, from behind the glass, Key’s eyes widened while he watched his hyung’s actions. Luna and Krystal laughed as Onew suddenly stopped when he heard Amber’s squeak and pulled away from her, his face burning red as he used his fringe to hide his expression as he realised what he was doing.

“s-sorry” he managed to stutter out before hurrying out of the room, grabbing Key’s wrist and pulling him out of the room with Key just managing to wave to everyone and throw a thumbs up to Krystal before getting dragged down the corridor.

Amber, meanwhile, was watching the two of them leave, still behind the glass of the recording booth, with wide eyes and her face made no attempt to calm down as, if it were possible, her skin continued to redden more. She didn’t even notice Krystal watching her in amusement or even Luna come into the recording booth until the younger girl squealed and grabbed her hands, almost making the tomboy jump out of her skin.

“Unnie!” Luna squealed, bouncing happily “Did you see the look on Onew oppa’s face? Do you think he likes you? Oh my God, Unnie! What if oppa is crushing on you!”

Amber started to shake her head at what Luna was saying before looking at Krystal through the glass with slightly narrowed eyes, assuming from Luna’s reaction that she knew more than she should and Krystal was the only one she had told. But, when Krystal shrugged and looked genuinely surprised by Luna’s actions Amber sighed, but it cut short. Wait, if Luna was noticing things maybe there was a chance!

“Luna, Luna, calm down!”

Luna just shook her head at Amber’s request and kept on bouncing as she, if anything, got even more excited.

“Did you see how he was looking at you? he couldn’t take his eyes off you! Then he came running to your aid when you fell and-“ Luna cut off and sighed dreamily “It was like something out of a drama, the male lead coming to the aid of his love interest”

Krystal started laughing loudly, it could be heard over the recording booth’s speakers but Amber paid it no attention. She didn’t even want to think what Krystal was thinking after all that. What Luna said next though surprised her.

“Do you like Onew oppa, unnie? Do you, do you?”

Amber let go of Luna’s hands and looked at the singer with slightly widened eyes and her head tilted slightly to the side. Was she really that obvious? Did that mean more people knew? Amber groaned mentally, of course she was obvious, she knew she was and Onew was probably just acting the way he was because he knew too and now felt all awkward and – Amber sighed, there was no point in hiding it from the younger girl if she was so obvious.

“...yes, I do” Amber spoke hesitantly and only in a mumble, partially hoping that it would prevent the younger girl from hearing. But, of course Luna heard, the answering squeal confirmed it for her. Amber wasn’t sure if she was going to regret telling Luna because, while the girl was trustworthy she has a habit of dropping a few to many hints when she got excited...and, more often than not, people were able to figure things out because of her hints.

She’d just have to keep Luna calm.

, that was never going to happen, Luna was the opposite of calm if she wasn’t working. She would just have to keep her away from Onew for the rest of their lives, yeah, that would work.

...that so wouldn’t work...she was starting to regret it.

"Unnie, you have to tell him" Amber could hear the slight whine in her voice but that didn't stop her from shaking her head, almost too vigorously in response. It was then that Krystal's voice was once again heard over the speakers.

"I've tried telling her that Luna, she won't do it. But there is so something there, some sort of attraction"

Amber shook her head again, no way, she wished there was but there just wasn't.

"Oh, come on Amber, did you see how he was acting"

Amber sighed softly. It was sympathy, that was all it was. Amber didn't understand why neither of them understood that.

"Just no" she said, an obvious tone of annoyance in her voice. She even sounded a bit upset "just no, never, I'm not going to give my heart up just for it to be beaten up. That's the end of it"

Krystal tried to speak again but Amber just glared at her and repeated, in a sterner tone "that's the end of it!"


Author's notes:

Here is the long chapter I promised. I literally started putting this story up 3 days ago and it's already got 29 subs and over 600 views, I'm really surprised by that but really thankful ^___^. Thank you for reading~

I only joined this site to upload this fic so I'm still kind of figuring stuff out, I'll start replying to things eventually.