Her Diary

The Dull One

L arrived home past twelve, the silliest grin on his face.

Mr Kim was sitting at the couch, watching a late night documentary. He looked up when L came in, smiling. "Hey son. Had a nice birthday party?"

L sent a wide smile and bit his lip to contain his happiest. "Today is the best birthday of my nineteen years on Earth." he whispered, his eyes shining. "The best."

L smiled. "I'll go up to bed now Appa. Go to sleep soon too. Goodnight." he hopped up the stairs and disappeared out of sight.

Mr Kim watched his son with an interested smile. "It seems he spent his time with her." he mused. "And he must have gotten some positive reaction."

-----

L changed into his pyjamas and crawled into bed, letting out a small sigh as he waited for his hair to dry.

That same silly grin was still plastered on his face and he couldn't rid of it no matter how he tried. He thought of the past few hours, those precious few hours with Jaekyung, and that grin widened.

"Damn it girl, what did you do to me." L whispered, running his fingers through his wet hair.

He bit his lip and rolled over to his bag, getting his phone out and sending a quick message to her.

To: Jaekyung

Are you asleep?

From: Myungsoo

L stared up at the ceiling impatiently, wondering if she would reply. He had sent her home around forty five minutes ago and it was plenty of time for her to wash up to go to bed. Jaekyung wasn't the type of girl who took forever in the toilet.

She wasn't asleep.

To: Myungsoo

Nope. Why aren't you asleep, mister?

From: Jaekyung

L grinned and sat right up. He didn't bother replying through text anymore, and he called her straight. He heard her familiar Fantastic Baby ringtone and she picked it up on the "I wanna".

"Myungsoo?" she sounded surprised.

"Hey." L smiled widely at her voice. "You aren't asleep."

"Well duh." L could imagine Jaekyung rolling her eyes and smiling at the same time. "What is it? It's nearing one now. You're not the birthday boy anymore so if it isn't important, you're getting it from me." she threatened jokingly.

"This is important." L retorted. "And anyway, you wouldn't do anything to me." he murmured. "You love me."

He could imagine Jaekyung reddening in that adorable way of hers and he heard her muttering under her breath. "I shouldn't have said that." she muttered.

"Don't take it back." L murmured. "It's the most important thing in my life right now after you. The knowledge that you love me back, you don't know how much I need to know it."

Jaekyung grew silent for a bit until she spoke. L could almost hear the wheels of her head turning. "Myungsoo, even though I admitted it you've got to understand that I-"

"Will never get into a relationship with me because of Chaekyung." L finished for her. "But you realize now that I'm never going to let go? Not ever. Now that I know you feel the same as I do, I can't give up. I'll wait, I'll do anything."

"Myungsoo..." Jaekyung whispered.

"Anyway I just wanted to say goodnight." L smiled into his phone. "I had a really wonderful night today. I'll never forget tonight ever."

"Me too." Jaekyung admitted. "Have a good rest, Myungsoo. Don't stay up too....*yawn*..too late."

L chuckled softly. "You're tired. Go to bed. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? What's happening tomorrow?" Jaekyung sounded drowsy. "Tomorrow's Sunday, there isn't even school."

"Yeah, but you think I'm staying away just because of a Sunday?" L mused. "Go to bed, Jaekyung. You're falling asleep already. I love you, sweet dreams."

"Hmmmff-" the line got cut.

L laughed softly and kept his phone, smiling. His girl, his girl, his girl. Oh gosh, was this how Woohyun felt everyday when he was with Yoomi. Now he could understand why Woohyun complained even when he was just separated from Yoomi for a day. He wanted to be with Jaekyung right now.

"Guess you should go to bed too. Wouldn't want to meet her with eye bags tomorrow." L muttered and turned off his lights, tucking himself in. He closed his eyes and waited tto fall asleep.

And then he waited.

And waited.

And he opened his eyes. "Damn." he whispered. "How can I sleep tonight? It's impossible." he sat up again and his bed lights. He rubbed his eyes and looked around for something to do instead.

"Ah, that new book Jaekyung rented to me." he rolled over to his side and pulled his bag to him, searching for the book. "Now where is it? I remember putting it...hey what's this?" he pulled out a red leather bounded book that looked a few years old.

He scratched his head and turned it to the first page, surprised that it was handwritten. In a rather familiar handwritting.

Dear Diary,

I decided to start a diary since Umma said it's a good idea if I want to be a journalist in the future. So yeah.

So today...I quarrelled with Chae again. I wonder why this is getting frequent, and I'm kind of tired of it. We just don't click anymore, or rather, I don't get her. She's quiet some of the times like she's thinking, and it's really weird. Chae never shuts up, if I must say.

But well, I hope she returns to normal soon. I'm getting tired of always giving in and compromising because I don't like fighting with her. I mean, I have a life too don't I? I don't live my life for her.

So yeah enough ranting. I can't wait for the first day of school next week, I'm finally a senior in Middle School! I can't wait to get into High school actually. I heard there'll be a Newsletter Committee that I can join and I'm definitely going for that.

So anyway, ciao.

Signed,
Jaekyung
21 February 2008

L stared at the book, his heart speeding in his chest.

This was...this was her diary. Hers.

" how did this get in my bag?" L muttered. He searched his mind and remembered knocking into Jaekyung's things when he was in her room and it must have fallen into his bag.

L swallowed and bit his lip. "This is her diary. You write everything in your diaries don't you?" he murmured. "So this means...whatever secret she's hiding from me....it's in here."

He gripped the book hard. Should he? But it was wrong! It was an invasion of privacy! He shouldn't!

But L found himself flipping to the next page without even hesitating, knowing it was wrong but doing it anyway. What was an invasion of privacy compared to understanding the reason behind Jaekyung's actions?

He skipped to the entry on the first day of school as a senior in Middle School.

Dear Diary,

Today was the first day of school.

I got Miss Han as language teacher again, thank goodness. She's the best teacher ever. Soojung said that Miss Han's dating Teacher Kim but I don't really care. She teaches well, that's what matters isn't it?

Today was Chaekyung's first day in Middle school too. I felt pretty proud to see her in the same uniform as me, and she looks really cute. My my, my dear sister's already thirteen. Maybe she'll find a boyfriend in an blink of an eye eh? Hehe.

Anyway I got a new friend today.

He just transferred to our school, moving to Seoul from Busan. He's name is Lee Dongjae and...I can't believe I'm saying this. I'm Lee Jaekyung. I don't care about boys. But...

Dongjae is really cute.

There, I said it. *hides*

I don't know why I find him handsome, okay maybe it's because he is. But not only is he handsome and cute, he's really nice too. I knocked into him in the hallway and my books spilled on the floor. I was embarrassed to let him see the nerdy side of me but instead he just picked up one of my books and smiled. "Hey, this one's good."

And then he helped me carry the books to class and I realize he has been transferred to my class. And he didn't hesitate to plop in the seat beside me and all lesson, I was trying not to blush whenever we met eyes or when Soojung and Soyeon wriggled their brows suggestively at me.

Dongjae even exchanged phone numbers with me after.

I was flustered beyond words and I have no idea why. So many guys ask me for my number all the time and I don't react, not even one bit. But him....I don't understand.

Soojung and Soyeon says I have a crush on him. Quite nonsensical isn't it? I've only known him for a day. This sounds like the type of thing Chae will do, not me.

Keep calm and forget about him, Lee Jaekyung. He's just a friend.

....

A really cute friend.

Signed,
Jaekyung
2 March 2008

 

L swallowed and his lips that had dried all of a sudden. He took a deep breath, knowing he was reaching the truth.

The truth he so yearned to know.

"Lee Dongjae." he muttered in contempt, the first guy to have caught Jaekyung's attention. His Jaekyung's attention.

And he had a feeling this Lee Dongjae wasn't as simple as it seemed. This had been before Jaekyung changed from an average sister to the best sister in the world. This Jaekyung in the past lived for herself. The Jaekyung now lived for Chaekyung.

Something must have happened after.

With a deep breath, L turned the page.