When Prejudice Sets In

The Dull One

Jaekyung clicked on the "Save" button and let out a sigh of relief. She rarely gave herself a chance to smile unless it was because of Chaekyung's matters, but this time a tiny one managed to find its way to her lips.

Jaekyung retrieved the thumb drive from the computer and held the somewhat hot device on her palm.

"Another report done." she smiled to herself. "Let's hope this would impress Teacher Jung."

Jaekyung put the thumb drive safely into her bag and went to bed. It was late, around 2 to 3 in the morning but Jaekyung was used to sleeping at that time.

Her mother would try to get her to sleep earlier but there were so many things she had to do within such a short period of time.

And she really wanted to get the National University of Seoul's Journalism Scholarship. She wanted to venture into journalism and the only way to ensure a place in the news department in the future was to get to that faculty. She needed it.

Tonight as Jaekyung lay in bed, she didn't fall asleep immediately like she usually did, which was due to the fatigue from the many waking hours.

She promptly forgot about the report she just typed and instead thought about the boy her sister had talked about earlier.

"L." Jaekyung murmured with a small frown. "What kind of a name is L?" she resisted the urge to snort.

True, she should give him the benefit of doubt. But then again if Chaekyung managed to give him her heart, it would give him the power to destroy it or make her happy.

Jaekyung shuddered at the thought of her sister being so vulnerable in the hands of a guy she just met for a day.

She turned to the side and hugged her pillow tightly. "Wonder what this L looks like..." she murmured.

-----

"So tell us, just how many Caucasian babes have you had as your girlfriends huh?" Sunggyu nudged L. "Come on, we're brothers right? Tell us!"

L frowned and shook his head. "I thought I told you guys on the phone that I didn't have time for a girlfriend!"

"Aish don't use that on us." Hoya snorted. "How is that possible? Hey we saw this beautiful Caucasian babe stalking you on Facebook. What's her name again?"

"Jessica Johansen or Johnson or something." Sungjong scratched his head. "I can't remember."

"Come on, between your bestest best best friend, tell me." Sungyeol whispered, pointing to himself. "We don't keep secrets do we?"

"Well I vividly remember that one time when you kept the fact that you were the one that drank all my mountain few cans in my fridge from me..." L murmured.

"Aww come on!" Dongwoo urged. "Tell us!"

L sighed and raked his fingers through his hair. "I thought I told you! I didn't have a girlfriend and I wasn't lying! I really didn't!"

"You were serious?" all the Infinite boys gaped in surprise. "No way."

"Yes way." L nodded. "I just didn't have time to think that way, with Halmeoni sick and all. And besides," he shrugged. "None of them really caught my eye."

"Oh gosh." Woohyun muttered. "This guy should turn gay."

"Hey." L pinked. "Just because none of them caught my eye means I'm gay alright?" he defended.

"Oh yeah? So tell us one girl you think is cute or hot." Hoya dared. "And please don't just sprout a random name, it must at least be someone we know."

L frowned and opened his mouth to protest but even Sungyeol elbowed him hard in the ribs to urge him to say. L sighed and searched his mind for any random girl.

"Uh that girl yesterday?" L asked hesitantly. "What's her name again Chaekyung or Chaeyeon or something..."

"Aha!" Sungjong clapped. "I knew you were attracted to her, hyung!"

"Uh I just merely said that I-" L gaped.

"Huh not bad." Sunggyu nodded. "Okay we approve of her. You better act fast before any other guy gets her okay?"

"What?" L spluttered. "But I didn't-"

"Aww is Myungshooo nervous?" Sungyeol cooed and squished his cheeks. "No need to be afraid little one, hyung will lead you on your first relationship." he grinned.

"Ugh." L gagged and slapped Sungyeol's hands away. "Disgusting ." he rolled his eyes and stepped away from his friends.

"I'll be going to the Newsletter Department. I want to join the newsletter committee." L told them. "What?" Dongwoo pouted. "No soccer?"

L shook his head and waved, turning to go. The rest of Infinite watched as L went off in search of his Co-Curricular activity.

"Seems like he didn't change much after going to US huh?" Woohyun muttered.

"Yeah, barely." Sunggyu nodded. "Still as dorky as ever." he grinned. "I'm glad he didn't change."

"Us too."







"Hi?" L knocked on the door unsurely. "Is this the Newsletter Department? I'm Kim Myungsoo and I would like to join the Newsletter Committee."

The door opened and an irritated woman glared at him. "Well the newsletter committee has enough peopl...." she faltered and raised her brows. "Wait what did you say your name was again?"

"Kim Myungsoo." L blinked.

"Oh my gosh you're Principal Kim's son!" The woman gushed. "I'm Teacher Jung and of course you're welcome to join our club!"

"But you just said-"

"Nonsense you heard wrongly." Teacher Jung gushed. She ushered L towards one of the rooms. "Come on you're just on time. The newsletter committee is just having their weekly meeting! The newsletter is given to the students once every two weeks you know, and we'll be printing new copies tomorrow!"

L didn't even get the chance to nod and all of a sudden the door was flung open and he saw himself standing in front of a five man strong newsletter team.

The five students blinked at him and L blinked back. "Uh.."

"Hello everyone!" Teacher Jung pushed L into the room and addresses the students. "We have a new addition to the Newsletter Committee! His name is Kim Myungsoo and he's Principal Kim's son!" she cheered.

The two other girls in the committee besides Jaekyung cheered while Jaekyung was drowning to herself. *What's a Jjang like him doing in the Newsletter committee? Shouldn't be join baseball or basketball or something. Is he for real?*

"Well look here!" Teacher Jung gushed. "We have to write a report on environmentalism! Myungsoo haksaeng, why don't you handle this one!"

Jaekyung's eyes widened. She didn't even get to write a report individually until her second year there. Most reports were written in groups.

Who did this Kim Muungsoo think he was?

And Jaekyung was exceptionally disturbed because she had written the essay of her life the previous night, after researching on the topic for ages. She wanted hers to be printed, not some Kim Myungsoo.

"Seongsaengnim." Jaekyung tried to keep her voice cool as she stood up. L finally realized her presence and be recognized her as the girl in his class.

What was her name again?

"Seongsaengnim I don't mean to be rude or anything," Jaekyung said in a soft but firm voice. "But don't you think it's unfair for you to let a newcomer handle a report alone? Have you even gaged his writing skills?"

Teacher Jung flustered. She looked panicky but pissed at the same time because someone pointed out something she did wrong. "Well I'm appalled that you said that, my dear but I have faith in the Principal's son." she emphasized.

Jaekyung wanted to strangle this Kim Myungsoo already. He just arrived and he was already getting special treatment that she strived so hard to gain.

"But I guess if you're that unwilling, he can look and learn for a couple of weeks before working on a real report." Teacher Jung agreed reluctantly.

She smiled brightly at L. "Don't worry Myungsoo haksaeng, you'll get a part soon." she comforted.

L swallowed awkwardly. Jaekyung didn't look at him but he could tell she was pissed about the entire thing.

L felt a little unhappy. It wasn't his fault that his dad was the principal and the teachers were trying to flatter him and everything.

"Hey, who's that girl?" L whispered to one of the two guys in the committee.

He looked over at Jaekyung and naturally made a face. "She's called Lee Jaekyung, I don't think you've heard of her."

L's eyes widened in recognition. He had read a few of the newsletter and found some of the articles written by Lee Jaekyung perfectly well written. He just didn't think the Lee Jaekyung he came to imagine looked...like this.

"Well she's a wallflower in every other aspect besides writing." The guy whispered. "And she's quite demanding and at times. Kikwang don't you know your grammar? Correct this! Kikwang please look your facts up right! You're reporting something false!" he imitated her.

L blinked. He didn't think some girl that looked so quiet a d easily forgotten would act like that.

"There are other rumors around about her too." The guy apparently called Kikwang whispered. "But eh I don't bother. Why bother yourself with things about such a girl compared to prettier ones like Lee Chaekyung huh?"

But L wasn't listening.

He frowned at Jaekyung at the same time Jaekyung looked up and furrowed her brows at him.

And that was how without speaking a single word, they already started to dislike one another.

 

-----

Hey guys :)

I just wanted to thank you guys who upvoted this story. I had no idea what the arrow and numbers beside title was until yesterday, and I'm really surprised you guys think this story deserves to be featured when it's been only 3 chaps!

Featured or not, thank you guys ^^ I'm touched ^//^