Kissing Dara

Kissing Dara

 

My name is Kwon Jiyong and I’ve only ever kissed one woman in my life.

 

 

I met her when we were 8 and her family just moved in beside our house. She seemed like an ordinary girl, nothing special about her. In fact she seemed small for her age. But my parents wanted me to get to know her and her siblings and play with them.

 

I tried but all she ever wanted to do was run. And she was quite fast, her long hair trailing behind her smelling of strawberries. All I ever did was chase her around and it was tiring.

 

Her little sister loved her dolls and was left to her own and her little brother followed her around on his short legs.

 

One time he tripped and his knee got scraped and was bleeding. She got all concerned and cleaned his wound and put on a band-aid. He cried all the while so she told her she’ll make him feel better. She kissed his knee and smiled at him widely. He stopped crying.

 

It was her smile that caught me. How could a little girl hold a smile that could stop a boy from crying and make me feel envious of her brother?

 

That day, I swore that I’ll do whatever it takes to get a kiss from Park Sandara.

 

 

 

 

The opportunity appeared when our class went out on a fieldtrip in the botanical gardens. Everyone was talking about kissing and cooties that I thought about kissing her and showing the class it wasn’t real.

 

Unfortunately, my plan backfired and Dara told the teacher what I did. The teacher scolded me for stealing a kiss and told me that you only kiss the one you love.

 

I was surprised to learn this. I knew my parents kissed and they loved each other. But is that how I felt for Dara? Is that why I wanted to kiss her?

 

I felt my cheeks burn at the thought and could not look at Dara.

 

The good thing that came out of my action though was that Dara decided to be my friend.

 

It wasn’t long after that we became bestfriends, going in and out of each other’s houses and spending time together. We didn’t let the other kids teasing faze us.

 

 

 

 

 

But it wasn’t until we were 12, when I kissed her again.

 

She just won her first race and she was amazing! Everyone was around her congratulating her.

 

I went near her, feeling proud and elated, wanting to congratulate her too. She looked flushed and happy and was smiling this huge smile. I lost thought what I wanted to say. All I remember was smiling at her and wanting to kiss her.

So I kissed her but just briefly. I was a little surprised how nice and easy it felt. But she looked taken aback.

 

For a moment I felt, guilty and ashamed that I stole a kiss from her again. And we stood there awkwardly facing each other.

 

I smiled sheepishly and shrugged my shoulders. “Congratulations. You were amazing!”

 

“Thanks.” she replied, looking confused.

 

“No need to thank me. It’s true.” I said.

 

“So see you at my house later?” she asked.

 

“Where else will I be?” I replied back, grinning.

 

As I walked away, I was certain that I would love to kiss her again but only if she’ll let me. And I was absolutely certain of what I felt when we were 8, that I have fallen in love with Sandara Park.

 

 

 

 

As we grew up, we grew closer. I have never felt the need to look at other girls and I’m sure other guys are not bothering to come close to her because of me.

 

One time she got sick after getting caught in the rain. I wanted to skip class to but I know she wouldn’t let me so I told her I’d get her assignments and notes. I decided to cut class early when I found out the teacher was absent so I could check on her right away.

    

She was surprised of my visit but I know she was glad of my presence and not just for the notes and stuff.

 

I was surprised that she came to me and hugged me. It was the closest physical contact we had in a while. And I know she was doing it because she was feeling vulnerable and thankful. I let my hands run through her hair which still smelled like strawberries, letting her know I’ll always be here and murmured “You’re worth it.”

 

Then her stomach grumbled and I found out she hasn’t eaten yet so I offered to cook for her.

 

Turns out she loved my cooking and I felt proud of it.

 

Then she became sleepy so I offered to carry her upstairs and laid her on her bed. I let her drink her medicine and tucked her in.

 

I brushed the hair from her forehead, hesitating at first but then I leaned in and kissed her on the forehead.

 

I wished her well before leaving her room. “Sleep well, Dara. Hope you get well soon.”

 

I wanted to kiss her badly even if she was sick and I chastised myself for even thinking about it. Not yet, I thought to myself.

 

 

 

 

When we were 15, we were sitting on the step of their stairs sipping hot chocolate, and exchanged our Christmas gifts. She gave me a handmade scarf which she placed around my neck and I gave her a charm bracelet. We were smiling at each other pleased with our gifts.

 

Then her mother spoke up “Oh look a mistletoe!” pointing above us.

 

“Well? Aren’t you gonna kiss her Ji?” her father asked.

 

I suddenly blushed at the thought of kissing her again, and in front of her parents no less. I wonder if they knew I’ve kissed her twice already. I noticed Dara blushing as well but she looked uncomfortable.

 

“Do it already.” she murmured.

 

Now if I were going to kiss her again, I wanted to do it on my own terms and when she also wants it.

 

“I’m sorry, Dara” I murmured as I leaned in and watched Dara close her eyes. And gently, I placed a kiss on her cheek.

 

Her eyes open and met mine.

 

Her parents complained that it wasn’t a real kiss but they left us alone afterwards.

 

I could tell that she was overanalyzing the kiss in her head. “Say something” she said.

 

“What do you want me to say?” I asked, playing with her.

 

“I don’t know. Tell me anything. What are you thinking right now?” she asked.

 

I said the first thing that came to my mind. “Merry Christmas!”

 

“W-what?” she asked, confused.

 

“Merry Christmas, Dara” I said, sipping my hot chocolate nonchalantly. Let her think what it means.

 

After we finished our drinks, she saw me to the door fixing the scarf on my neck.

 

As I leave for home, she called out to me. “Hey Ji!”

 

I turned towards her, my brows raised as if to say “what?”

 

“Merry Christmas” she said and closed her door.

 

I smiled and I thought to myself, finally, we’re getting somewhere.

 

 

 

 

Both of us attended Chaerin’s 16th birthday bash. We played spin the bottle and I had to take some of her shots for her. At the end of the game, I was already feeling drunk. I decided to sit down for a while and rest.

 

Suddenly, I felt someone pull me up, pushing me inside a room with someone. And the crowd, being rowdy cheering seven minutes in heaven. I sat on the floor by the bed and noticed it was Dara with me. My eyes must have bugged out of my head.

 

Never in my dreams have I pictured us pairing up to make-out. So okay, maybe I have, but I never wanted for it to be a game.

 

“Don’t just stand there, sit beside me.” I said and she followed, sitting beside me.

 

“So what do you want to do?” I asked.

 

“Seriously? I don’t know. I didn’t know things like this happen in parties. If I knew then maybe I wouldn’t have come. But I’ll just chalk this up to my high school experience next to drinking. Speaking of which, I’m sorry you had to drink a lot because of me. You’re probably drunk now and I probably am too because I think I’m speaking too much. Am I speaking too much? I think i’m speaking too much. Woah! I suddenly feel dizzy. Are you dizzy?” she babbled, which made me dizzy and I stopped her by pressing a finger to her lips.

 

“Sshhh! I’m getting dizzy. And yes, you speak too much. We don’t have to do anything you know so you don’t have to be nervous. We could just pretend” I said as I removed my finger slowly from her lips, wanting my own to touch them. I don’t want to pressure her into doing something she doesn’t want.

 

“Okay. So what do we do for the next 5 minutes?”

 

“I have an idea.” I pulled her up from the floor and onto the bed.

 

We laid down side by side, facing each other. I watched her grow sleepy. I leaned in rubbing my nose to hers.

 

Soon, I thought to myself, giving in to sleep.

 

 

 

 

It was painful to see Dara lose. I knew she must be feeling devastated so I waited for her.

 

When she stepped out from her locker room looking defeated, I opened my arms to hug her and she went in.

 

I let my arms wrap around her loosely afraid to reveal myself too much. I her hair and reassured her that she was still amazing and there was always a next time.

 

She pressed her face to my chest near my shoulder but by doing so, my face slipped between the junction of her shoulder and neck. She smelled like baby soap and strawberries. I felt awkward and thrilled at the same time. My breathing hitched and I feel my heart pound crazily. Still, I would not be the first to break from this position.

 

Then she moved and I slipped further, my lips grazing her neck. Holy! I fixed our position quickly so I was holding her to my chest.

 

I thought to myself, really soon.

 

 

 

 

We attended the schooldance together just like we promised. We did not stick to each other the whole night, mingling and dancing with other people. But as the night went on, we were left in each other’s company.

 

“Dance with me?” I asked her.

 

I placed both my hands on her waist as her hands were on my shoulders.

 

“Have I told you that you clean–up nicely?” she asked.

 

“Thanks. But I’m nowhere near you. I thought I’d never see the day you’d wear a dress.” I taunted her.

 

“My mom picked it.” she explained.

 

“Then I have to thank your Mom for making you look more beautiful. Yellow suits you. It just might be my favorite color now.” I .

 

We were dancing slowly to cheesy music. I noticed the lights just hitting her right, highlighting her eyes and smile. I could picture myself holding her like this everyday for the rest of my life. I have never been more in love with her as I am now. And it struck me that it was time.

 

 

“I hope you won’t be surprised this time, but I just had to try again.”

 

“Try what?” she asked.

 

I leaned in, pressing my lips to her, gently at first and when she didn’t pull back, I was encouraged and kissed her with all my heart has to offer.

 

I don’t know if she feels for me the way I feel for her.

 

But as I kissed her, I got my answer.

 

She kissed me back.

 

 

 

 

But it was many more kisses and another 6 years after when we shared a kiss in front of God and in front of our friends and family.

 

It’s official she is mine as I am hers. I could kiss her anytime I want to.

 

She asked me if I knew this would happen.

 

“Why did you kiss me that day when I thought you gave me the cooties? And what about those other times you kissed me when we were just friends?”  

 

“Do you really not know?” I asked.

 

She looked at me expectantly.

 

“Because you only kiss the one you love.”

 

She was my first and last, as I am hers.

 

She smiles, and just like the first time I knew I wanted to kiss her.

 

In fact, I never want to stop kissing Dara.

 

So I do just because I want to.

 

Because I can.

 

Because I love her.

 

 

 

 

At the first kiss

I felt something melt inside me
that hurt in an exquisite way,
all my longings, all my dreams and sweet anguish,
all the secrets that slept deep within me came awake,
everything was transformed and enchanted

and made sense.


~Hermann Hesse

 

 

 


I hope you enjoyed this oneshot.

I wrote this because I always thought Ji deserved to have his POV.

 

Let's continue to spread daragon love.=)