Him(chan)

My Sandwich Is Talking To Me

 

Leeyoung was using a silent treatment towards Yoseob in biology after his never-ending repartee about her eye-contact with Himchan in homeroom. She did like him in eighth grade but after an epiphany in the same year, Leeyoung let the idea of a teenage romance slide by.


[Flashback]

Leeyoung was luckily in the same homeroom as her counterparts as well as the blond boy called Himchan again. This eccentric looking student had platinum blond hair, a tall stature and a confident aurora that welcomed people from any clique or social class. Next to him, the guy who he was copying his homework from was equally as blond as he was, apart from the brainpower that Youngjae seamlessly possessed as he let his classmates copy off his work, simply because he knew that it would be of no use when the actual exams arrived.   

She also went over to their desks. Leeyoung had her hair pulled back into a ponytail that revealed her flawless plump cheeks, however the roundness of her cheeks hadn’t taken away the noticeable dark circles under her baggy eyes when she glared up at the fellow sleeping at the desk she just bend down in front of.

“Yo Dragon Soup, help me out here,” she snapped. This nickname derived from one of their infamous English classes of procrastination where Min – who lived in the US for half her life, insisted that Yongguk have an English nickname. 

Yongguk was asleep next to Youngjae and Himchan but as soon as he heard the little voice he woke up, stretched his arms and knocked Song Jieun’s shoulder accidentally. It was the first time he was noticed by Jieun. But it was she who apologized first, which then made him stand up and bow deeply and thus the timid crush between the two begun.

 

Another deep voice croaked, although she couldn’t make out what the person had just said, Leeyoung knew it was Himchan. She hadn’t expected the guy to go through puberty that fast, but she was proven wrong when the chubby twelve-year old from elementary gained some height and even a defined jaw line. All that baby-fat from his cheeks had disappeared, unlike hers that remained there. She subconsciously touched her cheek; still in her deadpan state. She had a complex about her cheeks, but soon forgot about it after today. She felt a nudge on her shoulder and tensed up as she snapped back into her classroom setting.

“Here, take mine. I’ll get it off you at lunch.” Himchan offered, handing it under her nose.

“No, that’s okay,” she breathed, pushing the sheets of paper away. He took it back and returned back to his conversation with Joon and Min — who had just walked in with a cereal bowl and a spoon in .  

  

At recess, L.Joe, Minzy and Yoseob forced her to spill her irritated thoughts just so they could avoid another week of apathy from her. Leeyoung was and still the type to either fully hate a person’s guts, or fully love them- to the point where she would shower the person with excessive amounts of romantic gestures and gifts. There was no in-between.

“That’s like the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. That’s the reason why you don’t like him anymore — because he brushed you off?” Minzy said dourly. She was a bit more hot-tempered back then, a bit of a riot starter one would assume.

“Yes because he shrugged me off! I am human too — I get overly sensitive sometimes and anyway he didn’t even seem slightly interested in me so I thought ‘why bother?’.” Leeyoung defended. But in reality it was just an alibi for her instinctive shyness.

“Relationships are so troublesome anyway, why do it just because your whole goddamn year level is doing it?” She muttered. After all, her non-existent parents were the epitome of a relationship gone bad; they couldn’t even take care of their own child.

“Uhhh, all this teenage angst is giving me a head ache. I feel like the Corpse Bride.”

With a heart that is dead but still aches.

They all knocked her on the head playfully, “Silly E-young. Stop worrying him and all the small things!” and she smiled faintly while rubbing her soon-to-be bruised head.

 “Hey that should be his new nickname,” Leeyoung pulled herself out of the donut hug and folded her arms contemplatively.

 “What is?” Yoseob asked.

 “Him.”

 “Him?” L.Joe joined in on the confusion.

 “Him, open bracket, ‘chan’, close bracket,” she explained.

 They pinched the bridge of their noses and sighed at her rapid mood swing.

[End Flashback]


 

A hot pink post-it note landed on Leeyoung’s desk. She turned her head to Yoseob disinterestedly then opened the note.

 

Y: Giving me the silent treatment?

 

Leeyoung took out the blue texta she found near the bottom of her desk and wrote on her yellow note. And so the note-passing commenced.

 

L: No, but my evil twin sister is.

 

Y: I can see the sarcasm oozing out of the paper. :p

 

L: Oh really now?

 

Y: I know you can’t stop thinking about Him(chan).

 

L: Stop writing in permanent marker, it YOU stink.

 

What Leeyoung saw next on the hot-pink piece of paper caught her off-guard and she made a disgusted face. Yoseob had sent her a drawing of an erected .

 

L: I will cut your balls off and feed it to the sharks, little man.

 

He sent another drawing of an erected , but this time it had squirting out of it. Leeyoung glared at Yoseob darkly. He edged his head in the direction of Jongup and Zelo, who were also Himchan’s mates. Her eyes flickered like raging flames at Yoseob, in spite of this; she unintentionally made awkward eye contact with Jongup, whose face turned the colour of cherry tomatoes. She forgot about his inability to interact in any possibly way with the female population. Zelo however, nodded up at her with his boyish half smile. She gave a small smile back and spun around, writing rapidly onto a fresh post-it note and threw it forcefully at Yoseob’s cheek.

 

L: Look what you made me do you punk!!! I freaked him out FFS!

 

Yoseob managed to cover his chortling with the beaker filled with yellow mixture, and put it back down again before replying back.

 

Y: Baby you love it. Jongup’s probably to you right now. Kekeke.

 

L: YAH! >:| Jongup’s innocent… I think.

 

Y: But Him(chan) isn’t. (; I should text L.Joe to ask.

 

L: You don’t just go around asking if people e you know.

 

Leeyoung flicked another piece of paper straight away.

 

L: I can feel my brain cells die one by one from the smell. Use something else. TT_TT

 

Her nose perked up as soon as she detected Mr.Kim’s strong cologne. Mr.Kim was ‘coincidentally’ their Biology teacher as well as their homeroom teacher and that was mainly because he was asked by Pledis to keep an eye on her as well as many other people she knew or had yet to know about. She let out a relieved sigh when Dujun’s hand shot up for assistance and he walked backwards to Dujun and Hyunseung’s table.

 

Y: L.Joe said that Himchan’s asleep, which means that he’s probably having wet dreams abut you.

 

Leeyoung drew fiercely onto the sticky note and sneered once she finished the piece of art. She then stealthily walked side-ways from her table to theirs. Her lab partner— Nana watched her curiously as she moved smoothly moved Junhyung out of the way and stuck the note firmly on Yoseob’s forehead, glare fiery arrows into his eyes then marched back.

 

Y: O____________O WTF!?

 

Yoseob had received a sketch of Mr.Kim and him engaging in some action.

  

L: you. Oh wait… Mr.Kim already has ;)

 

Unluckily for Leeyoung,  Mr.Kim’s shadow hovered over her table when she was about to collect all the papers from Yoseob to throw the evidence in the trash. Instead of that, she stuffed the paper in , chewed ferociously and swallowed it. Nana watched her lab partner with her head reclined to the side, amazed by her unusual reaction. 

 

“You have an afterschool detention this Friday Leeyoung.” He peered down at her dismally and she returned the concentrated gaze.

 

“The Bunsen burner was right there, you could’ve just burned it,” Yoseob whispered to her.

 

Leeyoung gave him two middle fingers once the teacher exited and slowly sauntered backwards out of the classroom.

 


Some basic Korean words were in this because I'm going to occasionally remind you that this is set in an alternate South Korea. :)

So far I think I've used:

Aiish = Exasperation of feelings

Umma = Mother

Appa = Father

Yobeseyo = How Koreans answer the phone

Unnie = How a female calls her older sister/older female

Gaeren bbang = Egg bread

Anywaysss, bye-bye!