Brown Umbrella

Brown Umbrella [Two Shot]

 

It's been two hours. 

That girl is still sitting there by the window, playing with her phone and checked the window every ten seconds. She was clearly waiting for someone, and that someone must be a really stupid guy for keeping a beautiful girl like this waiting, Jiyong thought. Though he could only saw a half of her face from where he sat now, it was enough for him to catch her beauty. 

It was raining hard outside, and Jiyong too had been waiting for the rain to stop so he could get back to the studio to finish a song he was working on. The girl by the window ordered another glass of smoothie to kill the time; her eyes were glued to the rain outside. Jiyong didn't know why he kept staring at her, but he guessed it was merely an opportunity, since the girl couldn't see him looking at her. Jiyong sipped his latte as he watched how the girl was now trying to contact someone with her phone. She looked so small, drowned in her grey hoodie and long brown locks, her fingers couldn't even par with her wide smartphone. She nodded a couple of times then he heard some words between the rumbling of the storm. 

"..yah.. but I told you to bring an umbrella with you!" said the girl to her smartphone.

Jiyong smiled, finally hearing her voice after two hours. It was nothing like he imagined before. Somewhat cute and daring. He continued eavesdropping. 

"Aigoo.. I've been waiting here for hours. Do you want me to grow old here??" she scolded whoever was on the other line. "I'll come and get you. Don't go anywhere, umbrella is on the way!" she said as she got up and Jiyong got frozen, he didn't want to miss any single of her actions. The girl wasn't tall, and something caught his attention as she turned and grabbed her transparent umbrella near the entrance door. Her left head was partly-shaved. What a bold hairstyle. Though that didn't stop Jiyong from watching this very interesting girl as she talked to the doorman, asking if they had an extra umbrella for her to borrow.

Sipping his latte quietly, Jiyong glanced at his own umbrella, thinking if he should let the girl take it. He wasn't nervous, nor feeling awkward, but he didn't want to ruin their first conversation with a cheesy 'you-can-borrow-my-umbrella' scenario. Of course he knew the girl wouldn't mind, but he would. Jiyong wanted to be at least remembered as 'this-one-cool-guy-at-the-cafe', and not a 'desperate-guy-looking-for-a-date'. He wanted to be remembered as the cool Kwon Jiyong.

"Let me see if we have any. Please wait a minute." said the doorman politely, as he left the girl to the back of the cafe. She checked her phone again, looked troubled. She then picked her half-dried umbrella and opened it, as if trying to measure the capacity by standing under one side of the umbrella. Seeing the girl doing it, Jiyong couldn't help but stated, "It is bad luck to open an umbrella while being indoor."

Then he regretted it.

He just wasted his one-time chance of having a great first encounter with this girl, by a stupid superstition. 

"Ah! Jeosunghamnida!" she didn't even look directly at him when she nodded in apology and closed her umbrella. She continued staring outside, watching the drenched glass walls and people with umbrellas passing by. Jiyong could hear a small sigh out of her.

Once again he glanced at his brown umbrella sitting at the corner of the entrance.

"You can use mine if you want." he tried to keep his smile as cool as he could, while pointing at his umbrella for her to spot.

Jiyong swore he spotted her eyes sparkling out of exitement when she heard his offer. But then she looked outside and shook her head to him, "Ah.. thankyou, but you'll need it on your way home." she said, as her eyes looking for the doorman, hoping he would get her an umbrella. Jiyong couldn't tell if this girl was being polite or awkward, or simply independent, but her expression was priceless. She looked somehow energetic, even in such a chaotic situation like this.

"Hey, just take my umbrella. Your boyfriend will die under the rain if you don't come with an extra umbrella." Jiyong said, half-sarcastic since he opposed the idea of a girl fetching her boyfriend under such horrible weather.

The girl reacted at the word boyfriend, and the next second she was drowned in a laughter, "Ah ani, it's my little brother! He could be so careless sometimes. Aigoo.."

So after two hours of observing this girl, Jiyong was wrong after all? He thought a girl like her, in a cafe like this, under the rain like today, watching her phone non-stoply like that, was simply waiting for a brother and not a boyfriend?

Jiyong chuckled, "Then your brother will die, if you don't take my umbrella."

The girl laughed again, this time a bit awkward. "Ah.. I really don't like being in debt like this." she said as she grabbed the brown umbrella, before handing her phone to him, "Eeh.. you can write your address here so I can return it to you." she said, and Jiyong could see her blushing, for reasons he didn't know. Maybe she was that kind of girl who got easily red in awkward situations? Jiyong didn't know, but he loved those red cheeks of her.

Though this was not his style at all, and probably was way too conventional, he nodded to her as he entered his number into her contacts. He saw a miscall from someone named Park Sanghyun, and he bet he was the said careless brother.

"Hmm, Kwon Jiyong-ssi!" she bowed a little to him, "Don't worry, I'll return your umbrella soon!" she said, as she grabbed his brown umbrella and ran outside the cafe, facing the heavy rain with her umbrella open and the brown one in hand. Jiyong still couldn't believe what just happened, as he stared at his brown umbrella held by that girl, who was running through the rain, and gone. 

Until the time she return his umbrella. At the thought of this, he smiled.

For the first time since he bought that umbrella, he has never been this exited to get his umbrella back again.

***


Author's note: Hope you enjoyed it, kekeke~ Thanks for reading^^ Let me know what you think, comments and critics would be much appreciated~

 

 

">

 

 

 

 

 

 

">