Part One

He's Only Human

It was their wedding day. It should have been so perfect, when the church where he walked down the aisle didn't disapprove of gay marriage, when their reception was held on a sandy beach on a beautiful island he owned in the Mediterranean Sea, when they were surrounded by their friends and family sincerely wishing them good luck on their marriage, when they were so head-over-heels for each other.

Then Jongin simply could not quench his thirst for adventure, even for one day. The guests had barely started leaving when he spotted an opening in the rocks near the beach and suggested they went exploring. No, Kyungsoo insisted, tomorrow, on their honeymoon, but Jongin was having none of it and sprinted off, still in his pristine white wedding suit. Kyungsoo, amused but exasperated, followed in his raven black suit, all the while persuading him to leave it until the next day. Jongin ignored him, teasing him about his motherly worries.

"Come on!" He laughed, gelled hair coming apart in the salty ocean breeze. "Be spontaneous for once!" He climbed up and slipped behind a large rock and by the time Kyungsoo reached there, Jongin had disappeared. He looked around but there was no sign of him.

"Jong?" He called out anxiously, careful not to lose his balance on the uneven rocks. "Jongin? Babe? Where did you go?"

"Here!" Jongin's voice came floating out faintly from behind. Kyungsoo whipped around but no one was there. "Jong?"

"Down here!" Kyungsoo peered into the cracks between the rocks to see Jongin grinning up at him. "You climb up there and then climb down here!"

"Jongin, babe, please come back out," Kyungsoo pleaded. "These shoes, they aren't fit for climbing!"

"Relax, Soo," Jongin laughed airily, "this is easy-peasy! Come on!"

Kyungsoo sighed and gripped the bumps on the dark grey rock, smooth handles made by the sea. He climbed up a few steps and reached a small, flat rock like a platform.

"Now down here," Jongin said encouragingly. "I'll catch you if you fall."

Kyungsoo blushed furiously at the words. Those were the first words Jongin had ever said to Kyungsoo, that day when he went hiking with his friends, who brought along a friend named Jongin. Kyungsoo was immediately taken in by Jongin's dashing courage veering near recklessness, his willingness to be the first to leap across rivers or climb up rocks to see if was safe.

Stop being such a worry-warts, he chided himself. If Jongin can do it, then you can too. He turned round and climbed carefully down, reaching Jongin in no time.

"See?" Jongin beamed as he turned around before bounding away like a hyperactive kid.

"Jong, wait," Kyungsoo said despairingly, following him. "What are you looking for, anyways?"

"This is called exploring, Kyungsoo dear," Jongin smirked. "We've still got at least two or three hours of sunlight, so." Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, smiling. They walked forward in peaceful silence, with only the sound of distant waves splashing against the rocks and their shoes' scratching sounds against the coarse sand.

"These rocks used to be a hill, you know," Kyungsoo commented, running his hands on the rough grey wall. "But then maybe there was an earthquake or something and they broke apart and fell down." Jongin giggled. He loved Kyungsoo's random analyses of the environment whenever they went on a hiking expedition.

After around half an hour of walking, where at times the cracks in the cool chamber provided them with soft breezes and a beautiful view of the sea, they arrived at a rather large obstacle. They could see clearly the other side, but in between--- six feet of absolutely nothing, a sheer drop of about twenty feet, with a large expanse of flat stone at the bottom stretching both ways as far as they could see. Sunlight shone from one side, the other fading into darkness.

Kyungsoo crouched down and examined the cliff. "This used to be a river," he observed. "Probably its middle course, where the water flowed fast, because the river bed is all smooth, see? But somehow it dried up. Maybe when the rocks fell they blocked the flow."

"I think we can jump across," Jongin mused. "Would take a bit of effort but it should be alright."

"Maybe tomorrow," Kyungsoo said. He had a bad feeling about this. "Our soles are slippery."

"No, it'll be easy," Jongin decided. He backed up several steps before breaking into a run and leaping across dried up river. Kyungsoo watched in helpless horror as Jongin landed on the other side, both feet safe on the ground, but then lost his balance and fell backwards and time seemed to slow down as he fell, arms flailing, and landed with a sickeningly dull crack.

"JONG!" Kyungsoo screamed, rushing towards the edge and peering down at Jongin's still body, legs bent at an impossible angle. "Jongin! Oh my god! Are you alright? Did you break anything? Jong, answer me!"

Jongin groaned and stirred, cracking open his eyes. He smiled slightly but then grimaced.

"I'm still alive..." he said weakly, giving him a thumbs up. "Good thing there're no wolves here, eh?" Kyungsoo didn't know if he should laugh or cry at Jongin's attempt at lightening up the atmosphere with his Frozen reference.

"I'll go get help," Kyungsoo promised. "You hold on, alright?" Jongin nodded.

 

 

 

Jongin laid on the cool rock, staring at the cavern ceiling. If he stayed perfectly still like this he could convince himself he was actually comfortable. His spine was fine; he could move his limbs, just that his legs hurt like hell and he couldn't control anything past his knees. He also had a headache but that was it.

He waited patiently for Kyungsoo. He trusted him to return quickly with medical aid.

A hissing sound came from his left. He lifted his head with effort and to his horror he saw a large spotted grey snake the exact colour of the rocks. His blood ran cold and he wished Kyungsoo, who with his rich knowledge of the environment and animals could immediately identify the snake, was there. He hoped this was the kind of snake that wasn't poisonous.

The snake slithered slowly across the smooth stone, its beady eyes looking at him with something that he could practically call curiosity. Jongin held his breath and stared at it and it stared back with its unblinking eyes, until they were almost nose-to-nose.

Then Jongin exhaled and the snake struck.

It attacked with sudden savageness, biting hard into his shoulder through the thin fabric of his torn white suit and he could feel the venom being injected into his system as he screamed and spasmed in pain. He batted the snake away in vain, as the snake, scared of the sudden noise and movement, struck at his arm again before slithering away into a crack in the rocks. Crimson blossomed into the stark white fabric.

The pain exploded in Jongin's shoulder and arm, white-hot, and as the venom coursed through his veins he could feel the pain travelling down his arm and reaching his heart in no time, until with every pump of his heart he jerked involuntarily and the pain was soon spread all about his body and he felt he was on fire.

With a grunt that veered near a scream, Jongin flipped himself over with difficulty and clawed his way downriver, not caring where he was going but with only the thought of escaping the snake; it may come back out any time and he didn't know if he could take a third bite. With every movement it hurt even more and his head swam, his vision blurring, but he gritted his teeth and hoisted himself along, fingernails broken and bleeding with the force he used to dig into the rock.

He couldn't see properly anymore, unable to focus, and all he wanted was to faint, to die, anything to escape this torment, but it seemed the venom wanted him to witness the destruction of his own body, as his organs shut down one by one, and his strength diminished swiftly to the point that he had trouble breathing, let alone move anymore. The cavern was flooded with scarlet, stained by both his blood and the setting sun.

His last thought before his brain shut down was

"I'm sorry, Kyungsoo."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who don't know, Frozen is a movie about three people trapped on a ski lift for a week and one of them jumped down and broke both his legs and wolves devoured him. It was quite a ghastly sight.

Also this was supposed to be a oneshot, but by the looks of it I'm guessing this is gonna end up a threeshot. Oh well.

Also my friend has written an incredible EXO fanfic and I think she deserves more subbies and views :3 so please check her out:D

Human <--- this is the first fic. It's completed.

Already In <--- this is the sequel which she's writing. It's awesome, trust me^^