A Second Chance at Timeless

A Second Chance at Timeless

 

A Second Chance at Timeless

 

iamforgotten

 

 

Press play.





He was lying on the cold, green grass. The ground was wet for the sky had only stopped crying. He, on the other hand, had his eyes closed with his lips sporting a small smile, almost unnoticeable, not even by him. He seemed to be in a deep slumber, one that would, without question, give him dreams as sweet as honey. But he was not asleep. He was merely contemplating. He was reflecting about what he wanted to do, to have, to be. For there was something missing in his life, a part of him that he was sure he had to find. He did not know what it was but, he was certain that, if he kept on, he will find that misplaced puzzle of his heart.

Kim Junsu. He was a famous singer. He was part of one of Korea’s most loved boy band. He was talented. He was successful. He was handsome. He was loved.

By everyone.

That was why he can still smile, but it was not enough. It’s no where near enough, he thought. There was something that he needed. Something, just one thing, that would, as he believed, complete his existence.

Junsu laid on the cold, green grass. He did not care if the wetness was soaking his body. He stayed there, not moving, letting a small drop of tear escape from his closed eyes, and the smile on his lips turned into that of a frown.


 

 

Press stop. Press rewind. Press play.






She sat by the window as she watched the rain outside. She loved watching the rain. She loved watching the drops that hit the glass, her fingers tracing the lines of water left behind as it slides down the vertical plane. She loved the sounds that echo across the sky as another thunder gives warning for an on coming lightning. She loved the way the dark skies brighten up every once in a while because of that. She loved seeing how the trees outside swayed in the beat of the wind.

It was as if the sky told her that it knew how she felt. It seemed that the heaven was feeling her heart. It showed empathy. It told her that she was not alone, that there was someone else who felt how she did.

The sky did.

And, maybe, there really was someone else.

Zhang Liyin. She was one of SM Entertainment’s princesses. Next to BoA. Before Yeonhee. Or any of the other girls in the company. She was one of Lee Sooman’s prized possessions, one of those that made him the most money. She was a doll, a toy. And it was not fair.

She went under training as a very young girl, she was barely 18 when she debuted. She sang with Kim Junsu then.

Timeless.

She sang with her heart, although she never understood the meaning of the song. It was never perfect, though. And after every performance, after every bow and thank you, she would hasten away from her singing partner. She would always cry the moment she reaches the dressing room, locking herself in, waging a silent battle with herself. She would look at her reflection on the mirror and ask.

What am I doing wrong? What else is missing?


 

Press stop. Press forward. Press play.





It was not their first meeting. It was not even the tenth. They would occasionally bump into each other when both of them were still trainees. They greeted each other casually at the hallways. They smiled at each other from across the table. They shared a bottle of soju, or maybe even two, when Mr. Lee Sooman announced that TVXQ was going to debut soon. They celebrated together. They even sang Timeless together when Liyin debuted. They helped each other in many situations. They became closer, in a way.

But they never saw each other.

Never.

Except for that one day when Kim Junsu suddenly knocked on Liyin’s apartment door. It was about two weeks before the latter had to go back to her home country. She still had to prepare for her performance on the opening day of the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

He wanted a hot shower after dancing the whole day, but the other guys he lived with used up all their hot water. So Junsu went out in search of another SM apartment whose inhabitants would be kind enough to spare him some.

He knocked onto the Super Junior household only to learn that theirs was also already used up. And so, he bowed to his Jungsoo hyung and went about again. He realized that he had harboured foolish hopes that place which houses a group that counts more than his own would ever have any spare hot water.

Junsu climbed a flight of stairs and found the SNSD door. He was about to knock when some sense was miraculously pushed into his head. That apartment had 9 girls – 4 people more than TVXQ – for inhabitants. He placed his arm back down and walked a little further on.

He, then, found himself gazing at the very last door on the right wing. It was, in all actuality, the only SM apartment in that building that he’d never been in to. He hesitated for a short while – well maybe longer than short – but his strong need for a bath got the better of him. And before he could understand what he was doing, Junsu knocked on Zhang Liyin’s door.

Or was it her heart?


 

Press stop. Press forward. Press play.






He closed the door as quietly as he could, not wanting to rouse anyone up, especially not his Jaejoong hyung. He didn't want to answer any questions. Not at four in the morning, most especially. But if that was to happen, then he needed to make sure that he’d be beating a mouse at this – game. Junsu took his shoes off and placed them on the rack by the door. He tiptoed towards the room he shared with the band appa, pulled the heavy blanket that lined his bed, slipped in – still as soundlessly as possible – and let himself be lulled into a heavy, yet dreamless sleep.

These days, Junsu didn’t need sweet dreams – or even simple dreams for that matter – because he believed that he had been getting all the sweetness that life can offer, during his waking hours. If he’d get anymore sweetness, bees would surely be swarming around him in no time.

It was still dark out. The sun hadn’t even started to claim the sky from the night. And the stars, as rare as they were, continued to twinkle, as if promising never to disappear from their heavenly beds. They would though. Those stars would give up to the sun’s light in an hour’s time – without even a fight – only to return the next night.

Junsu, no matter how unsweet his dreams were, was smiling like a child who received a bike for Christmas.


 

 

Press stop. Press rewind. Press play.






“Congratulations for the awesome show, guys! And thank you!” Junsu bellowed at the top of his lungs before going to walk out of the building.

They had just finished another concert successfully. He stayed behind for a while, letting the other members to get ahead of him and into the service van that would take them back home. He wanted to linger for a while, maybe just to get one last glimpse of her before he turns in.

He had no such luck, though. Liyin, it seemed was cornered by the SNSD girls and cooed into going to the after-party – or something that sounded like that – with them after the show. Junsu didn't understand where they got their energy for that. They had all been out and about since really early that morning, and now, all the DongBangShinKi boys wanted to do was get to sleep. And so, when he realized that his hopes were all in vain, besides the fact that his Yoochun hyung was already squealing for him to get in the van – the soonest possible time.

“Aish!” he mumbled dejectedly, he craned his neck, one last time, to look for her in the still huge crowd of concert crews, then turned around and went into the van.



 

Press stop. Press forward. Press play.






Junsu laid awake, thinking of how Liyin was cold towards him. She didn’t even talk to him the whole day. And when they sang together, she barely looked at him. There was something going on, Junsu knew – he just didn’t know what.

He fidgeted on his bed, pondering about things – mainly if he should call her and ask her what was wrong, or waiting for her to tell him herself. But how long would the latter take?

He slid the LCD part of his mobile, revealing the keypad, as he thought of how he would word it out. He took a deep breath then started to type out the letters. He pressed on the ‘send’ button and waited for her response. It came after five torturous minutes.


I’m really tired now. I’m going to sleep. You should, too.


Junsu groaned loudly, making Yunho shift in his sleep. The former closed his eyes for a moment. There was no way he’d fall asleep, now. So, he peeled the thick blanket off his tired form, slid from his bed and out the door. He was only in his pyjamas but that didn’t matter to him. He had a mission, now, to make his Zhang Liyin, his love, to love him again. Not that Liyin actually fell out of love with him but... Junsu had to make sure that her heart stayed that way.

He ran to the elevator, punched on the 10th floor button – and continued punching it until the doors opened to Liyin’s floor – Junsu, then, dashed towards Liyin’s room and keyed in the lock code.

The door didn’t budge. The code was incorrect.

Junsu stilled. He stood there, staring at the little device that operated the door to Liyin’s heart. He stood there, thinking when she could’ve changed the lock. He was sure that the one he typed was correct. He was sure.

Junsu was the one who thought of it.

0-5-2-2-0-8

It was when they had a second chance at timeless.

Junsu tried another set of numbers – Liyin’s birthday.

Incorrect.

His birthday.

Incorrect.

The day of her debut.

Incorrect.

Nothing worked.

He fell to his knees. Junsu felt as if Liyin had locked him out. Not just from her room but from her heart as well. He wanted to know what had happened. He wanted to make it better. He would make it better. He would change... for her.

Because Junsu never wants to let his Liyin go.

“I told you not to come.”

Junsu looked up and found Liyin standing right in front of him. She held the door open against her lithe frame as she eyed Junsu intently. The latter saw how weary Liyin was. He shivered in fright. Never did he see his Liyin in this state before. She was always cheerful and full of life, even during times when she was tired from everything that went on in her life.

“Shut the door behind you,” Liyin said as she turned her back at Junsu.

She knew that he’d be spending the night with her. He had a liking with that – sleeping at Liyin’s place – and she could never really oppose to him. Sometimes, when e was away and she didn’t get to see much of him, she’d wish that Junsu was right beside her in bed, whispering silent promise in the dead of night. Those nights were always something to look forward to. And, most of the time, Liyin wished that she and Junsu could stay that way forever – together and in each others arms.

“Liyin ah,” Junsu began as he pulled the door closed. He hoped that Liyin would turn and face him once more, but it seemed like something too great to ask of her at that moment. So he hung his head low and thought of what he wanted to tell her. But the words evaded him. “What’s the new code?” he finally asked.

“0-5-1-7-0-8”

Junsu gaped at her back, surprised and confused. But it dawned on him a couple of minutes later – which was spent in utter silence – and his confusion deepened a bit more. He stepped towards her and pulled her into his arms. He buried his face in the crook of her neck as he whispered ‘I love you’ to her. He said it over and over.

He still didn’t know what the exact matter at hand was but, somehow, he had an idea. It was a misunderstanding – a mistrust – and Junsu would be damned if he’d ever let it end his life with the beautiful lady in his arms. He was ready to sell his soul to the devil if it meant that he could be with his Liyin forever.

She was his one and only.

And she needed to believe that.

Junsu tightened his hold on Liyin’s waist. He was somewhat begging for her to let him sleep beside her that night.

“I won’t be able to sleep knowing that there’s this thing between us, Liyin ah. You know I already tried but it’s no use. I—“ he tried to explain.

“You’re already here. It’s not as if I can do anything about it now.”

They ambled towards Liyin’s room, to her bed, and settled themselves under the thick blanket. Junsu didn’t let go the whole time. He kept holding onto Liyin as if she was life itself. And even when they were lying side by side – with Liyin’s back turned towards him – Junsu clung to her as tightly as he could. He continued whispering to her. He didn’t stop telling her things and reassuring her that was the one he loved.

She was the one. Liyin was the only one Junsu loved. No one else. No one even came close.

Liyin closed her eyes. She couldn’t stop herself from melting in his arms. She couldn’t control the tears that escaped her heart. She couldn’t stop loving the man beside her. Her uncertainties – as stupid as they were – started to ebb. Liyin let out a soft sigh as she placed a hand on Junsu’s. She, then, turned to face him.

“Liyin ah,” Junsu sobbed, not knowing that he was crying. “Liyin ah –“

“Shhh,” Liyin cooed, placing a soft finger on Junsu’s lips. “Why are you crying?”


 

 

Press stop. Press forward. Press play.






A soft tune was playing on the radio, almost drowned out by the sound of the rain, but the couple in the front of the house was still able to make out the songs that were being played.

It was one of those rare days that they could really spend together since they were both busy with their work – with their careers. They were both singers but not together, well, not entirely. He was also co-owner of a big entertainment company, one that he and his former band-mates founded. She, on the other hand, also taught voice and violin at the biggest music school in Korea. They had both been well-known, both in their own fields and together, especially since they were able to overcome so many hindrances in their lives and relationship. People thought that they wouldn’t make it too long, but here they were, proving them wrong by the minute. They were happy and together in each other’s arms.

Liyin sat on the swing that hung from a beam on the ceiling. She was humming softly – softer than the songs on the radio inside the house so that only the person who was lying on her thighs heard her. Junsu was half asleep, mostly because of his wife’s voice and the hand that his greying hair.

In his left hand, he grasped Liyin’s, feeling the bands they wore close to each other. He sported a wide, goofy smile on his face and murmured sweet nothings out of his consciousness.

Their song was suddenly played, and the maids inside went and turned the volume up a little bit. Liyin laughed as Junsu started to sing his lines. He held onto his wife’s hand tighter, opening his eyes, and sung continually.

“Timeless – come on, love, sing with me,” he stood from the swing, taking Liyin with him as they sang the first song the sung together.

The maids who were busy finishing up for the small celebration they were having at the household stopped on their errands and watched the couple. The latter sang their song more perfectly that ever before, each note coming out as if it was the last they would sing. Of course, that wasn’t the case, because they would be singing many more songs in the days to come. Timeless was just… well, timeless.

“Happy anniversary, love,” Junsu said after the song. “I love you… and only you.”

“And I –“

“Grandma! Grandpa!” a young child called out, cutting Liyin’s reply short.

The couple turned towards the gates and realized that the party they were waiting for had already arrived.

It was yet another rainy day in Junsu and Liyin’s life. But both weren’t alone anymore.

 

 


if you find mistakes that are too big to ignore, please tell me. xD