Chapter 1

The Diary
"Who... Who's there?" I asked. I felt really stupid. Not just because I thought something might be in here, but because I'm even saying this out loud. "Sh- show yourself," I stuttered. I felt another cold gust of wind brush against my face. How is this possible? Especially in the heat of summer?

"I... I..." A faint voice spoke. It was soft and barely audible, but thanks to my keen ears, I was able to hear it. I heard footsteps coming towards my direction. I refused to let my guard down, but clutched my favorite teddy bear against my chest. The footsteps gradually got louder. My heart felt heavy as it rapidly thumped. My palms and forehead got sweatier by the second, holding my bear even tighter. "What are you doing here?" The faint voice said once again.

Now I was scared. "M- my name i- is Lee Kaeri... I j- just moved in," I stuttered. I closed my eyes, hoping this was all a bad dream. "I- if there's someone here, c- can you g- give me a sign?"

I heard a sudden screeching sound. I looked over at the door and noticed that something had been carved into it. I walked closer to it and took a closer look. "Look into the diary," it read. I fished out the diary from where I left it and flipped it open to the first empty page. I read it through, feeling even more creeped out. "I'm Yang Yoseob. Who are you?"

I went through my bag, looking for a pen. I found a pink one laying around the bottom of my bag and wrote, "Lee Kaeri. Did you live here?"

As if by magic, there was a reply under what I've written. "Lee Kaeri... Nice to meet you. Sort of. Yes. I'm the previous owner of this house. Don't worry, I don't bite."

I read his response and picked up my pen. "Oh. That's nice. Can I see you? Is this the only way we can communicate?"

I impatiently awaited his response. "Yes, you can see me. But I guess you chose not to. No, we can communicate if you can see me."

I stayed still, staring at the page. "What do you mean? I choose not to see you? How's that?"

"I meant you don't want to see me. If you want to see me, you must want to see me. I have manners too, you know. I won't force you to look at me if you don't want to," he wrote. Or, I'm guessing he wrote. From the way it just appears before my eyes, it was hard to conclude that he was writing it himself.

"Well now I want to see you. Can I?" I asked. I glanced at my phone and looked for the time. 5:30 in the morning?! I've stayed up all night?! Time flies, but how is it already 5:30 AM?

"I get the feeling you don't believe in ghosts. I'm standing right in front of you and you have no reactions whatsoever. Maybe you should get some rest first. It's hard to see ghosts with droopy eyes."

"I'm positive that I believe in ghosts, Yoseob. I guess I'm just tired. Can we talk in the morning?"

"Yes. Good night."

--

BEEP!
BEEP!
BEEP!
BEEP!

"Ugh..." I groaned and gently rubbed my eyes open. My eyes were still a bit droopy, but went wide awake once I saw a blonde man standing in front of me. "AH!" I screamed.

"Relax, Kaeri. It's me. Yang Yoseob."