Oneshot

Lost Paradise

 

The bright rays of sun pierced through the window, falling on Sungjong’s face. Though his eyes were closed, the light disturbed his sleep. He pulled his pillow and covered his eyes. Just then the door creaked open and Evelina entered. 

“Yah! Sungjong get up already. It’s 12:00!!” Evelina yelled in his ear.

Sungjong shifted and pulled his covers over his head. Evelina smirked. Oh challenge accepted. She left the room and come back after a few minutes with a mug in her hand. Let’s see how you can sleep now. With a swift movement she pulled away the blanket and poured ice cold water on him before he could react.

Sungjong felt ice cubes and freezing cold water soak him. Feeling the sudden change in the temperature he started jumping around to remove the ice cubes. Evelina bursts into laughter looking at the monkey jumping around. Tears formed in Evelina’s eyes and Sungjong glared at her.

“Yah! You have to stop doing that Eve!” Sungjong dragged her out of his room.

It was the starting of their long awaited spring vacations. The sound of the birds chirping had made the day brighter. Sungjong’s parents went out of country for business. Evelina was his neighbor and childhood friend. They spent 12 years together.

Sungjong walked out of his room after freshening up. He met Evelina downstairs, watching T.V.

“Look! I’ve become a 100 yrs old waiting for you!” Evelina whined.

“Well, now you finally look like your real self” Sungjong smirked.

“That’s it!” Evelina pulled him out. “Your punishment will be that you’ll starve and spend the rest of the day with me!”

 

They entered the park which was filled with laughter and rustling of leaves. Smiling at the cheerfulness surrounding them, they walked to bench facing a small lake. Evelina rested her back on the support and closed her eyes, absorbing her surrounding. Sungjong gazed at her. For the past 5 years his heart used to flutter at the site of her. It was only after sometime did he realize that he loved her. He knew it was not temporary. Evelina was the light of his life. His everything.

But he didn’t know if she felt the same. Still he was satisfied with the relation he had with her but deep inside his heart he knew he wanted more.

 

“Hey! Sungjong!” A voice called, interrupting Sungjong’s thoughts.

Sungjong turned towards the source and saw Myungsoo walking towards him.

“Annyoung!” Sungjong greeted with a smile...

“What are you doing here? I thought you would be sleeping”

“I’m here with Evelina. Well she dragged me here”

Myungsoo looked at him, canceling his question since he was in a hurry.

“Listen, we are having a party in the evening in Infinite. Don’t forget to come!” Myungsoo said and waved goodbye before he left.

Sungjong turned and found Evelina missing. He panicked. His heart raced. He started looking everywhere, calling out her name. Then laughter emerged behind a tree. Sungjong stopped in his tracks. He knew it was her. He rushed towards the tree and relaxed. She was playing around with 5 kids.

“Eve”, he called her.

Evelina wished farewell and went to Sungjong.

“You want to go to Infinite in the evening?”

“Sure” Evelina smiled with sparkling eyes.

 

Later that day, Sungjong went over to Evelina’s house. He wore a simple combination of jeans, shirt and jacket with sneakers. He was never the type of person who wore fancy clothes.

He patiently waited for Evelina to come. He slowly drifted into deep thought as to what she would wear and how she would look. A cough interrupted his thoughts. He looked towards the light and froze. His time stopped when he saw Evelina. Though everyday was mesmerizing for him to see her but this time it was different. She wore a purple knee length dress and high heels.

Evelina looked embarrassed. She cleared . “How do I look?”

Sungjong snapped back to reality. “You look beautiful.”

He walked her to his car and opened the passenger door for Evelina. He closed the door and entered his Volvo and drove off to Infinite.

 

The music could be heard till the parking area. Evelina held onto Sungjong’s hand through out the whole time. Sungjong didn’t care about anything else except for her touch and her presence. People surrounding them danced and celebrated.

After spending time searching for Sungjong, Myungsoo finally spotted him.

“Finally you came. Come with me, I have someone to introduce you to.” Myungsoo dragged Sungjong to the VIP room.

Myungsoo opened the door, receiving everyone’s attention.

“Guys, Sungjong is in the house!”

Everyone cheered and continued what they were doing. Sungjong looked behind to ensure Evelina was still behind him. Evelina chuckled at the response of the group.

Beside Myungsoo stood a timid girl. “Sungjong, I want you to meet Victoria.”

Victoria blushed and looked elsewhere. Sungjong knew exactly what Myungsoo was trying here.

“Annyoung Victoria. I would like you to meet my girlfriend, Evelina”, Sungjong pulled Evelina towards him.

Myungsoo and Victoria were shocked and confused at the same time.

“Is this a joke?! There is no one next to you.” Myungsoo said.

“What do you mean no one is there?!” Sungjong turned towards Evelina, only to find empty space.

“Eve! Eve where are you?!” Sungjong yelled. He didn’t know why this was happening to him now.

Slowly the temperature started rising. The group with Myungsoo stood and stared at Sungjong with cold and blank eyes. Fire spread around and everyone burnt except for Sungjong. He panicked. He didn’t understand what was going on. The air was filled with chants, “Who is Evelina?” “You’re imagining” “There is no one with that name” “Who are you talking about?”

 Sungjong closed his eyes and covered his ears in fear. His head ached. He didn’t want to hear anything. Even after closing his ears he could still hear the chants. He wanted to escape from it. He only wanted Evelina.

“Sungjong…”

Sungjong slowly opened his eyes, wet with tears. He saw Evelina burning in fire with sadness spread over her face. Sungjong’s heart ached. He couldn’t watch her like that. He tried running towards but it was of no use. The distance never seemed to lessen between them.

“Eve…” Sungjong said softly.

Evelina and Sungjong stared at each other till the fire consumed her. Sungjong screamed in frustration. He ran towards her but never caught up to her.

Everything burnt with the fire, leaving Sungjong. His world came crashing down. His heart tore apart. He wanted his nightmare to end. But it never seemed to.

 

***********************************************

 

“Aish! I feel like as though I’m going mad like them!” Taeyang held his head.

“Well that’s what you get for working in a mental hospital” Sunggyu laughed.

Taeyang glared at Sunggyu. “It’s your chance to the rounds and switch off the lights.”

“Okay, I’ll leave.”

 

Sunggyu started with floor 1. He passed by every cell before stopping at the last one. He peered inside and saw a boy sitting at the edge of his bed with his safety jacket, confining his arms. The boy’s eyes were cold and soulless. A tear trickled down his cheek. His eyes focused in the endless space.

Sunggyu observed him. He is so young and is here. I think his name was Sungjong. Wonder what happened to him. Sunggyu walked away after one last glace at the boy and turned the lights off.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

So......... how is it?!! I couldn't write it properly since I was in hurry... -.-''

I bet you didn't expect him to be in a mental hospital :p