Accounting...wherefore art thou in thine mind?

College...What Are You?

I was dozing off again. The sound of the Professor’s monotonous voice rambling inherently on had my head falling forward, ungracefully jerking back into position as I tried my best to stay conscious. I felt someone elbow me in the side, my head turning to glare at the that was disturbing my half-asleep state.

“Stay awake. He’s talking about something that will be important for our next exam.” Dongho said softly from beside me, taking one bored glance at me before again locking his eyes on the Professor. I glared at him as he proceeded to ignore my state of being pissed-off. Sure, he was one of my best friends, but if I wanted to sleep in Accounting he damn well let me sleep. I turned my eyes towards the professor as I answered him, not wanting to draw any of the 600 students’ eyes in the lecture hall.

Not that we hadn’t done so already. He’s lucky that we’re well practiced in whispering.

“If I miss anything, you’ll just teach it to me later.” I then got another swift jab in the side as people began to pack up their belongings, class having ended for the day.

“MOTHERF-!” I exclaimed, the swearing cut off from the loud drone of the emergency exit doors at the front of the hall opening, allowing numerous individuals to filter out.

“You need to watch that language, my dear Eunsu-ah. It’s dirty.” He tutted at me while shaking his head, already packed up and ready to go.

“You’re dirty! It’s not like helping me hinders you in any way! You know I have a busy schedule…” I mumbled as I drowsily put away my Accounting Coursepack and stood up while rubbing my side in discomfort. I'm a double major in Global Supply Chain and Logistics and Viola Performance...if the practicing doesn't kill me, everyhting else will along the way.

“You think I don’t? I thought you knew better.” True, he was a double major in Financing and Math, taught recitation lectures on the side and participated in research...but I would say that we're both equally busy with our lives. He chuckled as I was stretching, knocking me over the head softly before grabbing my arm to drag me out of the bustling hall. As we dodged our way around all the people exiting and entering the room, I felt my anger flaring.

I swear, the only person who decides that it’s okay to man-handle me is Dongho, and I’m sure he knows it with pride. I prep my finger as we finally leave the mayhem, giving a resounding thunk as I flick him in the temple.

“Aish, why do you always do that?!” He complained as he rubbed the spot where I had hit him. I simply scoffed at him as I continued walking until I reached the outdoors. Following close behind, he walked calmly up next to me.

Another thing that bothers me about the er; how detached he is from everything. I cause pain to him and he lets it go after a minute. He gets a less than acceptable grade on a quiz and he shrugs it off. He gets asked out by multiple girls, and what does he do? He rejects them coldly without another thought.

The reason girls are attracted to the kid in the first place is because of his aloof attitude; the kind that says “I don’t really give two s.” I myself have this type of outlook on life, however guys see it as a threat whereas girls find it y. Most people don’t know the truth about Dongho though…

That he secretly has the most disgustingly cute side you can even imagine.

“Hey, are we meeting at your room later?” He said calmly, ignoring the look of annoyance on my face.

“So you can teach me what I missed in class?” I said hopefully, trying for my most angelic look as I tugged on his arm and made puppy eyes at him. His mouth fell into a grim line as his narrowed eyes locked on mine.

“Only if you pay me back later with your body~!” He sing-songed in his annoyingly cute voice as he hopped up and down in place, swaying his upper body from side to side.

“Why do I feel like you’re asking for manual labor?” I grimaced as we began walking towards the cafeteria to meet up with Kevin and Haneul for lunch.

“Aw, were you disappointed?” Dongho smirked before stepping in front of me to abruptly block my path. A few people behind us let out complaints as they then proceeded to dodge around us on the sidewalk. He leaned his face close to mine, a smirk clear in his expression as he raised a single eyebrow.

“Well, we could always lean that way as well.” Rolling my eyes at his antics, I quickly dodged around him only to knock into someone.

“Ah, I’m so sorry!” We exclaimed at the same time, both of us pausing and staring at one another upon realization that we knew each other. I bowed my head slightly in embarrassment, continuing to ramble on apologies. I felt a hand on my shoulder and my speaking was halted, looking up to meet the eyes of Eli Kim. The one person that could get my heart fluttery just by looking at him.

“Don’t worry about it…just make sure that your friend knows not to block the sidewalk when people are trying to go places between classes.” He shot a look at Dongho that I couldn’t quite understand, the latter looking back in much the same way.

What was this, a battle of testosterone?

I nodded earnestly, trying to conceal the blush on my face as I grabbed Dongho’s arm and basically ran off with him in tow. When we finally stopped outside the cafeteria, I held my face in my hands. I could still feel heat in my cheeks, and Haneul was the only one who knew about my school-girl crush on our Integrated Social Sciences (ISS) class’ Teaching Assistant (TA).

Dongho and Kevin weren’t privy to that information. Even though they were considered two of my best friends…they were guys. They didn’t understand, nor did they really care about our interests in men. Except for maybe Kevin, he seemed keen on gossip no matter what type it was. But Dongho was far from giving a about which guys we were attracted to.

Dongho grabbed my arm just as I turned to go inside and avoid an awkward confrontation. I fought for a second before he won in turning my body towards him.

“Who the hell was that douche-“ He stopped mid-sentence at my flustered appearance as I avoided his eyes. He grunted before dropping my arm and passing by me before entering the cafeteria.

“God, that was so embarrassing!” I groaned as I hid my face behind my hands. I never had these sort of problems until Eli became my TA. I never looked much at men other than famous ones, and I had man-to-man conversations with my guy-friends. But then he came into my life and it was like the girl in me had been ignited.

Well, other than fangirling over my attractive Korean Professor. He may be older, but damn was Shin Soohyun attractive. It was the kind of class you WANTED to volunteer to be an example in.

“What was so embarrassing?” I turned around and sighed in relief at seeing Haneul’s face. She took one look at my cheeks and gasped. She knew what it meant when I ended up looking like a blushing bride. I only became like that with one person.

“Oh my god, what happened this time?” She said as Kevin sniffed the air and looked around for something from beside her. He took off for the cafeteria exclaiming something that vaguely sounded like “they have potstickers today!” He loved his gossip, but food was much more important in his life.

Both ignoring him, I continued to tell her of how I ended up running into him. Her eyes were narrowed when I finished, looking around for something. I thought maybe she’d sniff the air and run off like Kevin had, but she just turned her eyes back to mine.

“Where’s Dongho?” she asked as we headed into the caf, not wanting to lose any more time. As the lady swiped my card to let me enter, I answered.

“He took off. I don’t know why, I think I made him uncomfortable. You know how he is.” I said simply, both of us walking towards the line serving the Asian chicken and potstickers for the day. It did seem a bit strange the way he reacted though. I didn’t know who shoved a stick up his today, but I had an ominous feeling about the entire exchange in general.

“Yeah, I know…but I always thought…” She gave me another look before shaking her head and falling silent.

“Always thought what?” I asked curiously as I was handed my plate of food. Haneul accepted hers before answering me.

“Nevermind.” I shrugged and chose to ignore whatever she was randomly talking about, knowing she’d tell me eventually.

“Anyways, I see Dongho and Kevin over by the windows.” I changed the subject as she continued to look perplexed, the both of us taking our food and sitting down at the table with the other two as if nothing happened.

Dongho stared out the window all the while not touching a bit of his food, his head propped up in his hand where his elbow rested on the table. Kevin was finishing his sentence through a mouthful of potstickers, grinning after he swallowed and patting Dongho on the back energetically. The action seemed to scare him, the latter jumping at the sudden contact before blinking a few times and rejoining the conversation.

“What were you two talking about?” Haneul asked curiously, Kevin proceeding to steal food from Dongho’s plate before continuing.

“Oh nothing, guy stuff. You know how that goes.” I couldn’t help choking on my food, Haneul snorting in response as Kevin whined at us “Aw~ come on guys, I’m manly!”

“You’re about as manly as a daisy. So unless you consider those to be a manly flower, then you might want to rethink your outlook on life.” I voiced, Haneul silently nodding her head in approval as she chewed on her food, trying not to choke.

“Anyways, what did I miss earlier? Something obviously happened.” Kevin asked, ignoring the way that Dongho was clutching his fork tightly enough to turn his knuckles white. I glanced nervously at his violent display before explaining to Kevin what happened, and trying not to sound too giddy about it.

For some reason the mention of Eli rubbed Dongho the wrong way. I couldn’t tell if it was something to do with the fact that he was basically told off, or that men just exuded dominance when put in certain situations. I’m sure both were true, but I could only surmise as much when I’m not a member of the opposite gender.

“Hey Dongho, don’t you have AA soon?” Haneul wondered aloud, casually glancing at the clock as Dongho proceeded to stand up quickly and rush off in a flurry of napkins.

“You make it sound like he’s an alcoholic when you say it that way.” I sighed, hoping that no one in the vicinity of our table thought our friend had a drinking problem.

“It’s too much work to say Abstract Algebra though!” Haneul whined, Kevin laughing as I simply shook my head.

“I know our English is getting worse, but the less we use it the more we lose it.” I told her matter-of-factly with the most serious face I could muster, which turned out to just make me look like I had a bad poker-face.

“Hey that rhymed!” Kevin exclaimed with glee, to which both Haneul and I face-palmed ourselves.

“Kevin sweetie...” Haneul began; he looked at her as if he were a dog about to be given a bone for a job well done. “It wasn’t a rhyme, because both parts ended in “it”.” Stifling my laughter with the back of my hand, Kevin continued to look confused as he tried to remember what I had even said in the first place.

“Yeah but you call the class that your precious Eli is a TA for ISS all the time.” Haneul sighed in exasperation, clearly ending that conversation as she took out her phone and giggled as she read a text. Obviously our conversation wasn’t going anywhere now that she had started flirting, so I turned my attention to Kevin.

“Dongho’s coming over tonight, want to study some Music Theory and make it a party?” I grinned, Kevin bouncing up and down in his seat as he began rambling things about what we would do and that he would bring the alcohol. I took this moment to half-listen to him and pull out my phone as well.

I had four missed texts:

Where are you, hoebag? You better not take forever to get your to the caf. Saranghae yeobo :)

-Haneul

That one was obviously sent around the time that the whole Eli mishap had occurred.

Why do violists stand for long periods outside people's houses?

They can't find the key and they don't know when to come in!

-Kevin

...He’s lucky he’s still alive right now. I look up from my phone momentarily to narrow my eyes at him, to which he only responded “Aww~ so cute! Can I take a picture?” as he took his phone from his pocket. Therefore I immediately cleared my face of any expression and answered with a resounding “NO.”

I’m up on the left-middle side of the hall and have seats for us, come find me when you get here :)

-Dongho

Not seeing the last one, I must have been on my way to Accounting when he sent it. My phone vibrated in my hands as I was reading his text, another appearing on screen below the previous.

Don’t let the others come tonight until we’ve gone over ACC. You missed a lot while you were sleeping today :P

Frowning at his text I responded immediately with quick thumbs.

Ah...sorry I already told them :( if you want I can tell them to come a bit later? Kevin said he’s bringing booze tonight. I know you don’t like drinking, so I can tell him not to bring it??

I set my phone down, worrying my temples with my fingers as my phone again went off causing me to jump. I checked the message, wondering why he wasn’t paying attention in class.

I guess what’s done is done...don’t worry about it, we can all try to study together tonight. The alcohol is fine. Sorry I was tense earlier. Forgive me~~~ :3

I rolled my eyes at his childish reply, giggling slightly before responding. What I failed to notice was that Kevin and Haneul were both staring at me, their eyes narrowed and curious.

Stop trying to be cute~! Pay attention in class, you bad boy!! ;P

After the last was sent, my phone was quickly snatched from my hands. I don’t know why I panicked. It wasn’t like I had on there or anything indecent. But even so, I almost leaped across the table to attempt to retrieve it, the table itself posing a problem.

“I knew it.” Haneul said simply, tossing my phone to Kevin and eliciting a string of expletives from my mouth as I watched it soar through the air in danger of breaking.

“Su-shi...” Kevin sighed in disappointment, shaking his head at me before tossing my phone back to me.

“What?” I was nothing if not perplexed. Why were they looking at me as if I had committed a crime?

My phone buzzed yet again as I read the text on the screen. My eyes became wide as I quickly dimmed the screen and set my phone down. I didn’t know how to respond. For the first time in my life I was speechless. Almost always having some snide comment or witty remark, my mind completely went blank. What was I doing?

Only because you’re a bad girl~ ;)

Shooting to my feet, I bade my goodbyes quickly to Haneul and Kevin, the two yelling after me as I fled the scene. I needed to clear my head, and the only way I could do that was if I went to the music building to practice. I had already worn myself out practicing 3 hours that morning, but this was the only way to completely forget my confusion. If only for a little while.

I grabbed my bike off the bike-rack outside our dorm, the cafeteria located in the building just south of where we lived. Fighting to unlock and get my bike away from the ones that had trapped it in, I began to slightly hyperventilate as my mind clouded with thoughts.

Quickly shoving my earbuds into my ears I took off riding towards west campus and the music buildings. I quickly locked my bike up and make a run for the door, running down the stairs only to slice open my thumb on the door leading to where my locker and the practice rooms were held.

Ignoring the pain, I quickly unlocked my locker, shoving my backpack in where my viola had been previously. Then I froze.

“What the hell am I doing? How stupid am I?” I laughed out loud at the ridiculousness of the situation. How could I freak out about my friend sending me a suggestive text, when I had jokingly sent one in the first place?! I openly laughed at myself, probably catching the eyes of people in the hall who thought I was crazy.

Which I was. I was insane beyond belief. There wouldn’t be a repeat anytime soon of what happened after that one fateful party… I sighed to myself, heading towards a practice room since I had made such an effort to get here in the first place.

After not even an hour of practice I couldn’t ignore the pain in my thumb. It hadn’t bled in the first place, but it had skinned off enough to give an unbearable sting. I returned my viola to my locker in favor of my backpack and checked my phone again, remembering that I hadn’t responded to Dongho’s text I swore loudly as I then quickly typed a message and hit send.

See you later when you’re done with classes! :P

I had a million and five texts from Kevin, and only two from Haneul. Mostly going on and on about how I was secretly a closet flirt, and that what happened at the party wasn’t a onetime thing, and that I was leading Dongho on, and blah blahblah blah. I checked all the messages just to ensure that when I got a new one, I knew it wasn’t old, and biked back towards our dorm.

I took a deep breath as I stood at the entrance to our room. I knew that no one would probably be there, as Haneul and Kevin had theater class, but I prepared myself mentally for the immense cleaning I would have to do. I opened the door and was surprised to see that it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

I readied the trash to be taken downstairs, vacuumed, and Febreezed the room to get rid of the slight smell of rice and asian noodles. I paused after I was done and went back to the Febreeze, giving a few sprays while imitating B.A.P’s dance from Power. I FELT THE POWER…or at least that’s what I told myself.

 Safely packing away the make-up that Haneul and I had messily gone through in order to make it to our 8am on time that morning, I then wiped the slight residue left on our dresser.

When I felt like I was finally done, I took the trash out, cursing the three flights of stairs required with no elevator. When I returned to the room I plopped onto the futon in content, burying my head in one of the pillows and groaning about life in general. When I felt like I had collectively beaten the -hole that life is, safely into the ground was when I became pro-active and changed into my sweats.

Just as I had finished, a small knock resounded on the door, and it opened to reveal Dongho, stepping inside and immediately sitting on the futon. As was protocol.

“Ready to teach me some accounting?!” I said enthusiastically all the while plastering an over-joyed expression on my face and giving him two thumbs up. He studied my features before pulling out his coursepack and textbook. I sat on the carpet indian-style, my book propped open in my lap as I looked up at him. I tugged on his arm, indicating that I wanted him to sit down next to me on the floor.

“You’re so needy, you know that?” He took one look at me before moving down beside me, to which I pouted in disagreement.

“No I’m not! I just...have...needs?” I realized I had dug myself into a hole, but the only person who seemed to be stronger than me when it came to comebacks was Dongho.

“Needs? Why do I put up with you again?” Turning to the page he wanted in the book, he waited for my answer as I looked at him as if he were crazy.

“Because you love me, of course!” I saw him visibly freeze at my answer, before jabbing his finger at the page countless times.

“Yah! Are we going to study or what?!” At his outburst I slammed my book closed, wanting nothing more than to hit him with it.

“If you would start teaching then we’d already be studying!” Complaining in return, I threw my book aside and lay down on my stomach. I heard him sigh from next to me.

“You’re not helping the situation you know.” He said softly while patting the top of my head, to which I turned my head away and ignored him. Sure, I felt like a child. But I always acted like a kid around Dongho. He brought out the bratty little girl in me.

“Just massage my shoulders for a bit, will you? They’re killing me from all the practice I did today.” I sat up, turning my back in his direction as I waited. When I felt his hands on my shoulders, I sighed in content as I felt the knots being kneaded away. I felt him scoot closer, and then the massaging got more concentrated where I needed it.

“Maybe you should be a massage therapist. Those fingers of yours are like magic.” Before I could help it, I let out a moan as one of the tight knots that had been bothering me for weeks was relaxed.

“With the sound you just made, I think you mean a masseuse...” He whispered. Falling into a stupor at the wondrous feeling of his hands on my aching back, I failed to notice that we weren’t alone. This also wasn’t made clear to apparently either of us until he had settled his lips at the base of my neck.

“Holy it’s like watching !” I jumped in surprise at both the contact and the exclamation. I looked between Dongho and Kevin in alarm, Haneul standing beside Kevin with her hands over her eyes mumbling to herself.

“Yah! My shoulders are killing me alright? You take a stab at massaging them!” Kevin shook his head at me, closing the door as he and Haneul entered and tossed me a 5th of vodka from his bag. I could see a slight blush on Dongho’s cheeks as he quickly placed an accounting book in his lap. I shrugged before drinking some of the vodka straight and passing it to Haneul.

We were all used to being close, so times where we might step over the bounds of friendship were often shrugged off in favor of moving on. Such instances include the fact that Dongho kissed Kevin at the first party we all attended together and learning that he is a very…intimate drunk, that Kevin and Haneul kiss each other on the cheek when parting ways, and that Dongho was my first time. We were drunk, of course. Though I honestly think both of us try not to remember it, because I think it ruins the strong sibling bond that we have.

We all sat in a circle, passing the alcohol from person to person. Neither Haneul nor I had class until noon the next day, so we had no qualms about getting drunk on a Monday night. We were all surprised when Dongho decided to take a few drinks, knowing how weak he was to the substance. It was when we were all leaning on each other for support and laughing that I knew this was going to be an interesting year.

A/N: THANKS FOR READING :DDD

...if you even are reading O__________O"

Well...oh well :P More of Ukiss will make appearances soon, as you will notice that I will be including ALL of Ukiss.

Yes, that means Xander and Kibum ;)

LOVE FOR YOU ALL <3