Chapter 6a.

It's a Big Country We're Running

 

Kibum shuffled papers around his table, humming a cheery little tune beneath his breath. A pleased smile, like a cat satisfied, lingered around the corner of his lips as he sorted the morning's papers and went through the numerous little memos that had gathered on his table by 11am. They were not any lesser than the usual but Kibum felt positively invincible today.

Just the day before, the White House had managed to net themselves the money needed for a 100,000 new teachers and negotiated a bill with the majority leader to pass it through Congress. It was a job well done, if Kibum could say so himself, and they had managed to gotten it all done before the annual Teachers' Union correspondence. Which meant that this news would dominate the news cycle for the next week and give the president the attention and credit he deserved for championing the initiative.

It was a home run for the administration,  Kibum felt. (He should try sneaking in that phrase into the press briefing later on. It would be a sound bite, a sound bite.) And that would definitely give another bump to the president's approval ratings which had enjoyed a particularly yeasty period after the successful China summit.

That too, was a job well done.

Twirling a yellow highlighter, Kibum went through the day's newspapers. The Washington Post, nothing much. New York Times, Senator MacKensey spoke on the merits of school vouchers, and he would have to comment on that. Wall Street Journal, some analysis on the impacts of the new free trade agreements between China and the US, which seemed a tad bit cynical but otherwise reasonable.

Flipping lazily through the printed pages of the newspapers, Kibum came to the conclusion that there weren’t many fires he would have to put out today (not that there ever would be, considering his masterful grasp at controlling the news cycle and his widespread connections ensuring he would never ever truly be taken by surprise by any article as there were simply too many people in the world who wanted to get on Kim Kibum’s, the Almighty Press Secretary, good side.) The stack of newspapers he would have to skim through each day was done and Kibum came to the blessed conclusion that other than a few blips here and there (he needed to make a phonecall to Senator MacKensey later on), he should be able to have the whole news cycle to himself this week.

Each and every single newspaper would have to write about the 100,000 new teachers (all hail the president).

Just then, Jessica came into the room (without knocking). Holding a magazine in her hands, she pushed it across the table, “You might want to look at this.”

Kibum glanced at the glossy, colourful cover of the ‘People’ magazines with Jennifer Lawrence holding a joint between her fingers. He arched an eyebrow at Jessica, “And what exactly am I supposed to be seeing?”

Jessica tapped impatiently at a small box on the front page, where a familiar figure standing before what appeared to be models in lingerie met his eyes. The photo wasn’t exactly the clearest but Kibum would know who it was, given that he had worked with that idiot for years already and had to see him on a near daily basis. Kibum in a deep breath as he read the words accompanying the picture, “Scandalous! Drunk Deputy Communications Director Lusting over Women in Broad Daylight! Continued on page 6.”

Opening to the page the magazine directed him to, Kibum instructed Jessica in a tone bespeaking the calm before the storm, “Get me Jonghyun. Now.”


I am embarrassed to post this up because it is so freakishly short. However, I would feel even worse if I had to write a notice without giving you guys at least a small continuation to the story. Just consider this as a prelude to arc 6, ok? It would focus on education. (This is a pompous fic which tries to educate its readers on important issues in the realm of politics despite its author's obvious inability to do so.)

Anyway, I would be flying off today (hurray, grad trip!). As such, since my archives of written chapters have long been exhausted, there would be no updates to all my fics for the next two weeks or so, with the exception of 'Of Love and Something More' because I have something like a half-written chapter 6 in my com now. I may be able to complete it before I fly off, but no promises because my luggage... kinda need some serious repacking now.

Ok, I am digressing. All in all, I sincerely apologise to you guys and hope for your patience with regards to my short-term hiatus! Sorry and thank you! :)